What's new

THE "MOON"...Ah, the moon!!!

EEG6j2UU4AINN9n.jpg

What's wrong with what he said? Is this planet not comfortable & accommodating enough for you that you're willing to leave it and take your chances on planets where there is no oxygen and unless you spend trillions in oxygenating it you'll have to live your entire lives in a suite? Oxygen & water is free here on this planet buddy...let's do some scientific research on keeping it clean instead of polluting it. Let that sink in for a minute...
Your guy is saying "Space is useless endeavor". It means all the satellites are useless too. And you call him "sane".

And yes, for having a life on this planet, many times you have to have a space program. Ask all those folks whose lives were saved because satellites detected incoming storms, tsunami and what not.

Very small question. If India would not have sent rockets to moon, would it be able to erase all the starvation in the country?

Your guy is saying "Space is useless endeavor". It means all the satellites are useless too. And you call him "sane".

And yes, for having a life on this planet, many times you have to have a space program. Ask all those folks whose lives were saved because satellites detected incoming storms, tsunami and what not.

Very small question. If India would not have sent rockets to moon, would it be able to erase all the starvation in the country?
dead on arrival argument. I made it ABUNDANTLY clear on the first page of this thread that I was specifically talking about deep space exploration, i.e. moon & beyond.

Logical questions are forbidden....
Science is for dreamers

Logical questions are forbidden....
Science is for dreamers
ok well you just put yourself under the spot light. explain to me how is it "logical" to spend hundreds of billions on going to another planet and then spending hundreds of billions more on making that planet habitable when you can spend a FRACTION of those hundreds of billions on doing scientific research on making THIS planet better and cleaner? Further explain to me how thinking of ways of making this planet a better place is not scientific dreaming?

ok, so let's discuss the downstream cascading effects of this. america went to the moon over 50 years ago and then some. WHAT EXACTLY WERE THE CASCADING DOWNSTREAM BENEFITS FOR AMERICA??? please list 'em...both you and I live here and we don't see ANY benefits be it visible or not...

dude, if you don't have anything worthwhile to say then don't make a total "cartoon" outta yourself by fartin' your mouth off...
A lot of every day tech was developed by NASA or funded by it specifically for moon missions which was then licensed to private companies for commercial use
In effect for every $ NASA takes form USA gov it adds 100-150 $ in USA economy via tech development and its commercialization

ok well you just put yourself under the spot light. explain to me how is it "logical" to spend hundreds of billions on going to another planet and then spending hundreds of billions more on making that planet habitable when you can spend a FRACTION of those hundreds of billions on doing scientific research on making THIS planet better and cleaner? Further explain to me how thinking of ways of making this planet a better place is not scientific dreaming?
I am hearing this 100s of billions now for quite sometime. Can you tell me, which country is spending 100s of billions on going to another planet? Since this thread is about India and later USA, can you point to your source which tell us that these countries are spending 100s of billions of public money on specifically "going to another planet"?

I am hearing this 100s of billions now for quite sometime. Can you tell me, which country is spending 100s of billions on going to another planet? Since this thread is about India and later USA, can you point to your source which tell us that these countries are spending 100s of billions of public money on specifically "going to another planet"?

BTW NASA's budget is 20 billion dollar. And that covers EVERYTHING they do not just going to another planet.
India's ENTIRE SPACE PROGRAM has an annual budget of 1-2 billion dollars.

BTW NASA's budget is 20 billion dollar. And that covers EVERYTHING they do not just going to another planet.
you hear? well now you can read...
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 10.10.20 AM.png

looks like someone in the administrations has been thinking along my lines...
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 10.07.42 AM.png

Even if all the guns were taken away, it still wouldn't stop people getting murdered but it will go a long way to addressing the issue....in short.....Priorities.

yes...NASA's budget has been cut in the u.s. IN SPITE of being a far FAR more prosperous and developed country than any other country on earth. Even the u.s. has better things to do with its budget...you think an india with problems that would dwarf mount everest and a collapsing economy can afford to waste (yes, WASTE) $1 to 2 billion on something that even a prosperous and stable country like the united states has put on the list of its lowest priorities?

YES! indian farmers are struggling to get decent crops, you think that 1 to 2 billion could've been invested making agriculture better?

Okay dude, I'm gonna stop you RIGHT there...honestly, I am SERIOUSLY starting to doubt both your intentions and credentials as someone who is both scientifically & economically sensible enough to debate such a deep topic. no offense, but I seem to be pointing out the obvious to you over and over again...

Even if all the guns were taken away, it still wouldn't stop people getting murdered but it will go a long way to addressing the issue....in short.....Priorities.
Errr... not in this case.
For india, their govt revenue is 500+ billion dollars (I checked yesterday).
So WHAT an additional 1.5 billion dollars (their space budget, I also checked yesterday) is going to do for welfare of starving that REST OF 500+ billion dollars cann't?

Clearly, the problem is elsewhere AND NOT in their spending on space program. I suspect they are mis-managing their rest of resources. Or their economic policies or fiscal policies are in mess. Or may be they have a security problem. Or may be their education or vocational policy is broken.

YES! indian farmers are struggling to get decent crops, you think that 1 to 2 billion could've been invested making agriculture better?
Let me ask this, IF their rest of 500+ billion revenue cannot make a dent in the perils of their farmers, what this 1 billion gonna do?

yes...NASA's budget has been cut in the u.s. IN SPITE of being a far FAR more prosperous and developed country than any other country on earth. Even the u.s. has better things to do with its budget...you think an india with problems that would dwarf mount everest and a collapsing economy can afford to waste (yes, WASTE) $1 to 2 billion on something that even a prosperous and stable country like the united states has put on the list of its lowest priorities?
You don't understand. What this additional 1.5 billion in case of India or 20 billion in case of USA can DO, WHICH REST OF 500 billion OR 3.18 trillion cannot?
If REST OF 500 billion and 3.18 trillion are NOT cutting it, then clearly the problem is NOT in 1.5 billion or 20 billion spent in space but problem lies elsewhere.

One should solve problems after understanding the root cause. Spending in space program is NOT the problem, it lies elsewhere.

So WHAT an additional 1.5 billion dollars (their space budget, I also checked yesterday) is going to do for welfare of starving that REST OF 500+ billion dollars cann't?

Clearly, the problem is elsewhere AND NOT in their spending on space program. I suspect they are mis-managing their rest of resources. Or their economic policies or fiscal policies are in mess. Or may be they have a security problem. Or may be their education or vocational policy is broken.

Let me ask this, IF their rest of 500+ billion revenue cannot make a dent in the perils of their farmers, what this 1 billion gonna do?
Once again, you are forcing me to state the obvious...$1 - 2 billion invested researching ways to improve agriculture will go a LONG way to help the common indian farmer...just investing that in digging tube wells to get water would make a good impact...

Once again, you are forcing me to state the obvious...$1 - 2 billion invested researching ways to improve agriculture will go a LONG way to help the common indian farmer...just investing that in digging tube wells to get water would make a good impact...
ISRO looks to expand space-based agricultural forecast to cover over 23 crops from the existing eight in the country..

Once again you don't understand. That 1-2 billion is ADDITIONAL. If whatever they are spending already is not working then adding this 1-2 billion additional will help? And why it needs to come specifically from space program? Why not they add a little bit more tax? Their tax rates are actually lower than Canada. Add a bit more tax on say cigarettes and fund it, IF that additional 1-2 billion dollars are going to have impact.

If they need more money for agri-research they can even get soft loans from IMF, if they cann't fund it from elsewhere.

BTW, space program ALSO helps in agriculture by crop monitoring and early prediction of weather.

You don't understand. What this additional 1.5 billion in case of India or 20 billion in case of USA can DO, WHICH REST OF 500 billion OR 3.18 trillion cannot?
If REST OF 500 billion and 3.18 trillion are NOT cutting it, then clearly the problem is NOT in 1.5 billion or 20 billion spent in space but problem lies elsewhere.

One should solve problems after understanding the root cause. Spending in space program is NOT the problem, it lies elsewhere.
Errr Basically you are oblivious to the Indian psyche, as said elsewhere, admiring someone's rosy cheeks is human nature but the Indians will even smack themselves to have a red face.
I'm sure you have heard the saying, if you can't beat them then join them, the Indians however have their feel good version, if you can't beat them, then abuse them.....the Indians fancy themselves to be in race with China yet all their comparisons boil down viz-viz Pakistan.
Their desperation to reach moon is to be in parallel with China yet all the mud slinging is against Pakistan's space agency,perhaps you should read outside of PDF as well.

Back
Top Bottom