What's new

‘The Last Of Us Part 2’ Reviews Say It’s The Best PS4 Exclusive With 44 Perfect Scores

F-22Raptor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
I figured the reviews would be good, but now that the embargo has lifted for PS4’s The Last of Us Part 2, it’s become clear that it’s not just good, it’s yet another Game of the Generation, just in time to close out this latest console era.

The Last Us Part 2 currently has a 96 on both Metacritic and OpenCritic, a deeply impressive score that reflects 44 full perfect 10/10s from various outlets, including heavy hitters like IGN and Game Informer.

That 96 score makes it the best-reviewed PS4 exclusive of the entire generation, putting it above Persona 5 Royal (95), God of War (94), Metal Gear Solid 5 (93) and Uncharted 4 (93). It’s also a tick above The Last of Us Remastered at a 95. The only two PlayStation 4 (or Xbox One, for the matter) games to score higher are Red Dead Redemption at 97, and GTA 5 also at a 97, though that one was cross-gen.

If the 96 holds, The Last of Us Part 2 is actually tied for the 23rd best reviewed game in history, alongside Half-Life 1 and 2, Breath of the Wild, BioShock, Goldeneye, Resident Evil 4, Mass Effect 2 and Skyrim.

So, what are critics saying about it? Here are some choice examples:

IGN (10/10): “The Last of Us Part 2 is a masterpiece that evolves the gameplay, cinematic storytelling, and rich world design of the original in nearly every way.”

GamesRadar (10/10): “Naughty Dog’s PS4 swansong is an astonishing, absurdly ambitious epic that goes far and beyond what we could have imagined for a sequel to an all-time classic.”

EGM (10/10): “Whether or not you consider The Last of Us Part II to be a worthwhile continuation of Joel and Ellie’s story, there’s no doubt that Naughty Dog has crafted a sequel that’s every bit as ambitious and well-considered as the original, with quite possibly the best stealth-action gameplay realized to date.”

GamesBeatv (10/10): “I said that the original game is the very best of what video games can be on the PlayStation 3. And this game, available on the PlayStation 4 on June 19, also represents the very best of what video games can be.”

Did anyone not like it? Here’s a middling review from IGN Japan at a 7/10:

“The Last of Us Part II tries too hard to differentiate itself from its predecessor. While astonishing cityscapes and more varied combat options are great evolutions, Part II lacks the poetic serenity that made the original road-movie-like epic such a masterpiece. On top of that, uninteresting new characters burden the story, making Ellie’s journey feel conventional and not nearly as captivating as the original.”

And I know my buddy, the YouTuber SkillUp, says he’s one of the only reviewers who genuinely didn’t like the gamev, but I frequently find myself at odds with his takes, so I don’t expect I’ll agree.

Forbes did not receive a review copy of The Last of Us Part 2 and we were given no explanation why after repeated requests for elaboration. I will be buying the game at launch and reviewing it shortly thereafter. After seeing these scores I genuinely cannot wait to play it. I loved the first game and am thrilled to see the sequel is living up to, or even surpassing the original.

It’s a hell of a way to close out the generation, and knowing Sony, they’ll repackage it for PS5 and open the next generation with it as well. The Last of Us Part 2 will be released June 19, 2020, a week from today.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...he-best-ps4-exclusive-with-44-perfect-scores/

Can't wait to play it.

PS. Are you going to ignore the reveal of PS5?

Back
Top Bottom