What's new

The H-4 SOW Terminology

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
1640198753491.png

H-4 SOW (Stand of weapon) is main stand off munition of Pakistan Airforce having strategic importance. H-2 and H-4 are based on Denel Dynamics Raptor I and Raptor II having range of 60 Km and 120 Km respectively. These weapons have proven in 27th February 2019 skirmishes with India. H-4 guided from Mirage successfully hit it's targets with precision and accuracy.
PAF also released footage of H-4 hitting it's targets successfully , which proves it's capability

The H-4 SOW (Stand-Off Weapon) is a
precision-guided glide bomb manufactured by Pakistan and deployed by the Pakistan Air Force, capable of striking targets at stand-off range. It has a terminal guidance system based on an infrared homing seeker, which identifies the target during the final stage of flight. Designed to hit targets out to 120 km, the 1000kg bomb may have the capability to evade radar. The H-4's stated range of 120 km and its glide bomb design has led to speculation that it may be a Pakistani variant of the Denel Raptor II glide bomb, which is also guided by an infrared homing seeker and has a range of 120 km. During operation Swift Retort, PAF Mirage 5PAs dropped 2x H-4s on Indian Military installations in India Occupied Kashmir. Their guidance was generated by Mirage 3DPs
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, all the above has been documented here before, however, I always wondered as why this bomb which is now manufactured in Pakistan , instead of just the number H-2 or H-4 doesn't carry a designation like other weapons made locally.
We have the likes of Ra'had, Babur, Nasr ,Barq and several others. So a little inquiry has revealed this little secret.
A well connected source informs me that the word ''H-4'' in the terminology stands for Havoc. Which this weapon caused on 27.2.19......just a little info i though i share with you people.

1640198420828.png

Last edited:
Corre
View attachment 802715

H-4 SOW (Stand of weapon) is main stand off munition of Pakistan Airforce having strategic importance. H-2 and H-4 are based on Daniel Dynamics Raptor I and Raptor II having range of 60 Km and 120 Km respectively. These weapons have proven in 27th February 2019 skirmishes with India. H-4 guided from Mirage successfully hit it's targets with precision and accuracy.
PAF also released footage of H-4 hitting it's targets successfully , which proves it's capability

precision-guided glide bomb manufactured by Pakistan and deployed by the Pakistan Air Force, capable of striking targets at stand-off range. It has a terminal guidance system based on an infrared homing seeker, which identifies the target during the final stage of flight. Designed to hit targets out to 120 km, the 1000kg bomb may have the capability to evade radar. The H-4's stated range of 120 km and its glide bomb design has led to speculation that it may be a Pakistani variant of the Denel Raptor II glide bomb, which is also guided by an infrared homing seeker and has a range of 120 km. During operation Swift Retort, PAF Mirage 5PAs dropped 2x H-4s on Indian Military installations in India Occupied Kashmir. Their guidance was generated by Mirage 3DPs
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, all the above has been documented here before, however, I always wondered as why this bomb which is now manufactured in Pakistan , instead of just the number H-2 or H-4 doesn't carry a designation like other weapons made locally.
We have the likes of Ra'had, Babur, Nasr ,Barq and several others. So a little inquiry has revealed this little secret.
A well connected source informs me that the word ''H-4'' in the terminology stands for Havoc. Which this weapon caused on 27.2.19......just a little info i though i share with you people.

View attachment 802709
Correction... It is not Daniel DYnamics... DENEL Dynamics.

View attachment 802715

H-4 SOW (Stand of weapon) is main stand off munition of Pakistan Airforce having strategic importance. H-2 and H-4 are based on Denel Dynamics Raptor I and Raptor II having range of 60 Km and 120 Km respectively. These weapons have proven in 27th February 2019 skirmishes with India. H-4 guided from Mirage successfully hit it's targets with precision and accuracy.

View attachment 802709
If I had to guess, it was just the decision of AHQ at the time. Remember, the H2 and H4 are basically our earliest SOW munitions. The naming choice likely predated the later naming convention that resulted in Ra'ad, Babur, and Harbah.

I also suspect H2 and H4 names might have simply been inherited from Kentron. IIRC, Kentron used to call the R-Darter AAM the "V4". It's possible that the internal names of the Raptor-I and Raptor-II were, simply, H2 and H4 and the project team at the time just kept it because, well, "why not?"

Finally, 'old school' PAF used to label projects by simple letter and number designations. Sometimes, they'd just stick to the internal project name after delivering the work.

If I had to guess, it was just the decision of AHQ at the time. Remember, the H2 and H4 are basically our earliest SOW munitions. The naming choice likely predated the later naming convention that resulted in Ra'ad, Babur, and Harbah.

I also suspect H2 and H4 names might have simply been inherited from Kentron. IIRC, Kentron used to call the R-Darter AAM the "V4". It's possible that the internal names of the Raptor-I and Raptor-II were, simply, H2 and H4 and the project team at the time just kept it because, well, "why not?"

Finally, 'old school' PAF used to label projects by simple letter and number designations. Sometimes, they'd just stick to the internal project name after delivering the work.

Yes those are earliest. I remember mid-2000s had a talk with family friend( director AWC that time) .. It was mid-2000s, I was very keen to know about BVR missiles for PAF (AA), but he told me H-4 (A2G) with long range.. and I think there was only H-4. No H-2 that time.

Kentron has been involved in the development of guided weapons and missiles since the 1970s. The Raptor glide bomb was the first of these to go into service, with the H1 effectively being a technology testbed.The project's code name was 'Hanto', thus everyone started referring to the bomb as 'H'.
I guess Pakistan or PAF decided to give it's own designation as ''Havoc'' since the term ''Hanto'' is a Japanese definition of hunt.

Indian generals won't forget this weapon.
This was the party pooper when they were busy celebrating 26th February crow hunt at IOK Headquarters. Then came the bang.
😅😅

Yep : ) That all with videos. The video clearly shows pilot had all the time in the world to do anything they want. He was completely in control and moved the missile on will. But still spinless and pathetic breed of indian media and bakhts keep crying till date that PAF "missed" targets lol..

H-4video_clipscreenshot.JPG

What if they had one of these with a range of more than 300-Km like Raptor-111? :angel:

I am asking this because i am unable to find its answer from google.

I wonder what will replace that capability when the Mirages are retired.
The H2 and H4 are technologically older solutions. They're amazing, but the PAF will likely move towards a new munition for the JF-17 that will have INS/GPS and a terminal-seeker. Basically, take the remote manual operator out of the equation. Personally, I hope they acquire the Raptor-III. It's an evolution of the H2/H4 that incorporates a mini turbojet alongside INS/GPS and terminal-stage seeker. Offers a range of 280 km, but with the same heavy warhead capacity of the H2/H4.

I think the JF-17 could carry 2 of these (1 under each wing).

1640274802819.png

I think either this or a lightweight ALCM (like SOM) will likely take over the H2/H4's role once the PAF fully phases out the Mirages.

Last edited:

Correct; H-series are from Kentron. We always work with number series H1,H2,H3,H4. H1 and H3 were test beds.
The H2 and H4 are technologically older solutions. They're amazing, but the PAF will likely move towards a new munition for the JF-17 that will have INS/GPS and a terminal-seeker. Basically, take the remote manual operator out of the equation. Personally, I hope they acquire the Raptor-III. It's an evolution of the H2/H4 that incorporates a mini turbojet alongside INS/GPS and terminal-stage seeker. Offers a range of 280 km, but with the same heavy warhead capacity of the H2/H4.

I think the JF-17 could carry 2 of these (1 under each wing).

View attachment 802942

I think either this or a lightweight ALCM (like SOM) will likely take over the H2/H4's role once the PAF fully phases out the Mirages.
Correct; they are really old. What surprised me is they still worked well in a very heavy EW/ECM environment - the key lays in that data link. Raptor 3 has a much more hardened and improved data link.

btw - Datalink is not from Kentron.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom