What's new

The Greatest Generals of World

r3alist watches too many movies..

Alexander The Great, Genghis Khan, Adolph Hitler, General Macarthur, just to name a few..

Alexander the great

He conquered a chunk of world with his armies

Based on difficulty level - of vast distances, and risks associated
his conquests were quite difficult

He lead his man all the way and clearly he was great general

I hear about the mongols, but they were more of barbarians , Alexander was a classy guy educated, dashing and decisive

Current age , American Generals are also quite good due to the background technology , and resources at disposal -

My top 5

1. Salahuddin
2. Alexander the Great
3. General George S. Patton
4. Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery
5. General Sun Tzu

r3alist watches too many movies..

Alexander The Great, Genghis Khan, Adolph Hitler, General Macarthur, just to name a few..

If you are including other mini conquerers, then I think you should include Aurangzeb, Ashoka, Chandragupta Maurya as well.

Genghis Khan is the greatest of all because he conquered 25% of known world mass at the time. Technology was not as advanced like during Hilter's time. They rode in horses and used bow and arrowers and swords.

Alexander could come closest second, but Alexander is popular only because he is an European. Really Alexander only defeated one major ruler - Persia.

Saladin was a good ruler and good general. He defeated vastly outnumbered army. But he didnot conquer much.

If intellectual ability is considered, then I think Sun Tzu was the best. His book "Art of War" is still taught in many military schools.

Let me clear that by greatest general i mean who conquered largest area of world.

How can you possibly quantify that in terms of greatness, dose injustice to the greats such as:

[*]Yamashita Tomoyuki
[*]Sun Tzu
[*]Napoleon Bonaparte
[*]Hannibal

but to name a few, they in their own special way were equally great based on their doctrine and art on and off the battlefield.

If you are including other mini conquerers, then I think you should include Aurangzeb, Ashoka, Chandragupta Maurya as well.

Genghis Khan is the greatest of all because he conquered 25% of known world mass at the time. Technology was not as advanced like during Hilter's time. They rode in horses and used bow and arrowers and swords.

Alexander could come closest second, but Alexander is popular only because he is an European. Really Alexander only defeated one major ruler - Persia.

Saladin was a good ruler and good general. He defeated vastly outnumbered army. But he didnot conquer much.

If intellectual ability is considered, then I think Sun Tzu was the best. His book "Art of War" is still taught in many military schools.

Actually even though i admire the military prowess of "Temüjin" or "Genghis Khan" as most people inaccurately refer to him as. This was not his name, this was merely his title after forming the Khanate (Khan is a Title meaning leader and not a surname or family/sub tribe).

We cannot compare "Temüjin" to the likes of "Alexander THE GREAT" purely because they were two different breeds of animal. Alexander had a huge civilising influence over his realm whilst "Temüjin the Great Khan" had an entirely opposite effect.

Many Muslims forget that he almost wiped out the former Islamic Empire, whilst Alexander's belief was one of tolerance and integration of conquered lands into the Macedonian way of life.

I respect the marvolous achivements of "Temüjin" but in my humble opinion Alexander was the better General, not based on land mass or kill count but on the overall affect and legacy he left behind.

Don't take my word for it: V28N1 - Alexander and Genghis Khan: Two World Conquerors Compared

To Quote Plutarch's (AD 46-126):
When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer

Actually even though i admire the military prowess of "Temüjin" or "Genghis Khan" as most people inaccurately refer to him as. This was not his name, this was merely his title after forming the Khanate (Khan is a Title meaning leader and not a surname or family/sub tribe).

We cannot compare "Temüjin" to the likes of "Alexander THE GREAT" purely because they were two different breeds of animal. Alexander had a huge civilising influence over his realm whilst "Temüjin the Great Khan" had an entirely opposite effect.

Many Muslims forget that he almost wiped out the former Islamic Empire, whilst Alexander's belief was one of tolerance and integration of conquered lands into the Macedonian way of life.

I respect the marvolous achivements of "Temüjin" but in my humble opinion Alexander was the better General, not based on land mass or kill count but on the overall affect and legacy he left behind.

Don't take my word for it: V28N1 - Alexander and Genghis Khan: Two World Conquerors Compared

To Quote Plutarch's (AD 46-126):

Yes, I read about it. But compassion was not the criteria specified.

Ashoka killed lot of people through limitless invasion until he found Buddhism.

I think we should also add Peter, the great to list as well. He made Russia as large it is now. Infact Alaska was a part of Russia at that time.

Hannibal Barca is one of the greatest generals, a very good military strategist and daringly lead the army of carthage through Alps which is unthinkable to the enemy.
He won lot of battles with Rome, the fact that during that period there is severe shortage of adult males in Rome, that Rome stopped death punishments and human sacrifieces shows the damage done by him.
He once had Rome at his mercy for some reason he did not take it. This guy knows well how to use battle formations and tactics, battle of cannae proves it.

Apart from that Ervin Rommel (desert fox), Alexander the great for his daring march to the ends of the world, Gengis khan who never lost a battle.

Last edited:
Muhammad (PBUH) and Umer RA... Best combination to have one as a ruler and other as a general.
Umer RA and Khalid Bin Waleed RA...2nd Best combination to have one as a ruler and other as a general.
Result: More than 1000 cities, More than 5 million Sq. KM land, Emergence of golden era of Islamic rule for next many centuries.

I think Mouhammad Fateh (conqueror of Constantinople) must be there in top for the tactics of dragging warships through land to avoid enemy sea blockade.

On a personal note: in modern times, What about countering insurgencies as it is next form of war fare in 21st century.

who is commanding Sri Lankan army? I will include him in the list as well. If TTP is defeated successfully in SWA after Swat... I think our CoAS will also remembered in fighting insurgencies in world's toughest circumstances.

Salahuddin Ayyubi was one of the world's greatest warriors.

Salahuddin Ayyubi never lived in the palace. Instead, he lived in a small house near the mosque. Salahuddin had a great love for Islam and as the vizier and general of Egypt, he tried hard to root out the Crusaders. For this purpose, he maintained a strong army. He established peace and prosperity throughout the country.

The Crusaders were not happy by Salahuddin's increasing power and success. Uniting their forces, they planned a decisive attack on Muslim area. Battle of Hittin took place. Muslims won under the leadership of Salahuddin. Thousands of Crusaders were arrested. Salahuddin treated the prisoners with tolerance.

In 1187 CE, Salahuddin conquered Jerusalem. Thousands of Crusaders were arrested. However, when their mothers, sisters, and wives appealed to Salahuddin, he released them. Many crusaders were ransomed. However, he paid for many of them. In addition, he provided them transport, etc. He allowed neither massacre nor looting. He gave free pardon to all citizens. He even arranged for their traveling. He granted freedom to Christians to leave the city if they paid a small tribute. Salahuddin paid it, himself, for about ten thousand poor people. His brother paid it for seven thousand people. Salahuddin also allocated one of the gates of the city for people who were too poor to pay anything that they leave from there.

On Friday 27th Rajab 583 AH, Salahuddin entered Jerusalem. After entering the city they went straight to the Mosque and cleaned it. Then for the first time in more then 80 years, the people of Jerusalem heard the Azan (call of prayer) from Al Aqsa Mosque.

Salahuddin Ayyubi

even his bitter enemies respected him & still do....

The only reason that why muslims won over the Persia was because of King of Persia, he was too harsh on his people, when the people of Persia heard about the Islam and what its offer they accepted Islam and didnt fight against the Army of Islam, you can read histoy of Sassanids if you're interested its widely available anywhere on the web. Hopefully its not from an Iranian most of the researchers are German. And by the way in the case of any future argument i know my country histoy better than anyone here.

i think Islamic generals are best in all the world..:sniper::sniper:

and also policy makers......:pakistan:

Back
Top Bottom