What's new

The Grand Mosque Seizure (Masjid al-Haram)

The Diplomat

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
In November 1979 extremist trying to overthrow the House of Saud took control of Masjid al-Haram in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The seize lasted nearly three weeks and a series of battles were fought in an attempt to regain control of the Holy Mosque. Pakistan's SSG Commandos were called upon to help fight, fifty commandos were sent by Pakistan alongside three GIGN commando advisers from France.

The militant's force was estimated to be around 600 heavily armed men who had taken hundreds of hostages. The Saudi-Pakistani-French alliance had an estimated force of around 10,000 heavily armed and well trained men. The seizure began on 05 November 1979 at 05:00 whilst 50,000 worshipers were getting ready to pray Fajr when several men dressed in robes produced weapons and ordered the gates of Mecca to be chained shut. To show the Saudi government that the militants were serious they killed two unarmed police officers. The Mosque was in the middle of being renovated, an employee belonging to the renovation company was able to call and report the indecent to the outside world before the telephone lines were cut by the militants.

The militants demanded to cut Saudi oil exports to the United States and to expel foreign military and civilians from the Arabian Peninsula alongside to overthrow the Saudi Royal Family. The demands were aired on loud speaker of the Mosque.

The entire city of Mecca was evacuated and by nightfall the insurgents let most of the hostages go and took defensive positions on the upper levels of the Mosque alongside taking sniper positions on the minarets. The Saudi government and the outside world had no idea of how many insurgents were inside the Mosque, what kind of weapons they had and how many hostages they were holding.

By first nightfall the Ministry of Interior sent 100 Saudi Special Forces commandos to retake control of the Mosque however the SSF were met with heavy fire and quickly had to retreat, a large number of casualties were reported by the Saudi Government. On special request by the Saudi Government Pakistan's Special Services Group commandos were rushed to Mecca to assist the Saudi Forces to regain control of the Holy Mosque. The Saudi Government also requested 3 advisers from France's GIGN, the GIGN commando advisers were stationed outside of Mecca as non-Muslims were not allowed to enter the holy city.

The following night the Saudi Forces again attempted to regain control however the defensive positions taken up by the insurgents seemed to be impenetrable by the Saudi Armed Forces. The Saudi Forces launched a duel attack from underground and the gates however the Saudi Forces were once again forced to retreat.

The French GIGN advisers had made a plan to attack the Mosque by drilling a series of holes in the floor of the Mosque and firing gas canisters armed with explosives. The French commandos did not take part in the action. Pakistan's SSG was going to lead the attack and carry out the operation.

After a joint operation conducted by the SSG and Saudi Forces the militants had to surrender after suffering heavy losses.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wasn't there something about electrocuting the militants using water and electricity.

That was a condemnable move by those militants since talking over the Masjid-e-Haram would have ignited the whole Muslim world against them. Definitely Pakistan had to help and that's a commendable achievement for SSG. Even today, if any such incident happens, Pakistan will not hesitate for a second.

That was a condemnable move by those militants since talking over the Masjid-e-Haram would have ignited the whole Muslim world against them. Definitely Pakistan had to help and that's a commendable achievement for SSG. Even today, if any such incident happens, Pakistan will not hesitate for a second.
they were al khawan inspired terrorists with Egyptian roots. very vicious extremists
Saudis executed all of them after they surrendered. this is what we should have done with Lal Masjid terrorists

Officers_Juhayman_al-Otaibi-1.jpg

surrendered and then executed by Saudis

upload_2018-5-23_19-38-53.png

they were al khawan inspired terrorists with Egyptian roots. very vicious extremists
Saudis executed all of them after they surrendered. this is what we should have done with Lal Masjid terrorists
Taking on a holy place like that is never acceptable. If you have problems with the Saudi Government then take it somewhere else... The Masjid had nothing to do with their demands.

Irfan is absolutely right, the military action that took place at Lal Masjid was the right thing to do and those that got out alive from that should have been hanged. Personally I think that Lal Masjid should be brought down as it's being used for a breeding ground for banned outfits. It's just a building... I see no problem in getting rid of it.

I was just talking to my father and he told me that he knew Col. Tariq Mehmood who lead the military action againt the militants. I'm told he sadly died as a Brigadier when he was parachuting for a parade in Pakistan. I guess 06 September.

Dude every modafaka in the World wants it.

Just wont.

Go figure
What are you on about?

surrendered and then executed by Saudis
They deserved what they got. Countless number of civilian loss was also recorded during the seize.

Wasn't there something about electrocuting the militants using water and electricity.
The report is made keeping in mind the will.n wishes of muslims.
Otherwise.. the french solders were made moslims during there stay at the masjid...limited days converty to islam....a lot of lipstick and mascara in this report... read paul barril who was french controler of operations...indiscrimate use of gas.boms caused death to around 1:000 persons. Only a few hundred were ever aknowledge...no wonder alqaeda was flourishing in qatif

What are you on about?

Did you just wake up?

Houthis are firing at will over Saudi Arabia.

Makkah terror plot just two days ago.

People here make a living wishing for Chaos in Saudi Arabia. Its where divergence of all worldly and unworldly happens.

Makkah the Bakkah.

The report is made keeping in mind the will.n wishes of muslims.
Otherwise.. the french solders were made moslims during there stay at the masjid...limited days converty to islam....a lot of lipstick and mascara in this report... read paul barril who was french controler of operations...indiscrimate use of gas.boms caused death to around 1:000 persons. Only a few hundred were ever aknowledge...no wonder alqaeda was flourishing in qatif
The French soldiers did not convert to Islam for a few days. They never entered the city because they weren't allowed to. The report that they were made Muslims for a certain number of days is false and it was proved by one of the GIGN commandos that later confirmed that the French never converted or entered the city.

Did you just wake up?

Houthis are firing at will over Saudi Arabia.

Makkah terror plot just two days ago.

People here make a living wishing for Chaos in Saudi Arabia. Its where divergence of all worldly and unworldly happens.

Makkah the Bakkah.
By some of the language you are using it looks to me as your drunk my brother.

This happened in 1979, your looking at modern day politics. This was before Iraq, Afghanistan and 9/11.

By some of the language you are using it looks to me as your drunk my brother.

This happened in 1979, your looking at modern day politics. This was before Iraq, Afghanistan and 9/11.

Do you think anything has changed in politics?

Do you think anything has changed in politics?
Yes. Did the world have any major problem in the ME in the 80's? (excluding the Israel-Palestine conflict, hijacking, etc). Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, Iraq, Afghanistan, 9/11 all happened afterwards which caused the problems the world has today.

I'd word it as the Saudis were so incompetent that they had to call two other nations to fight and protect them.

Back
Top Bottom