What's new

The Future of Kashmir? "Seven" Possible Solutions!

The ATS has said that he was NOT involved in the Samjhauta blast. The earlier statement was that Purohit MIGHT be involved, that they would investigate that aspect. They have since cleared that he was NOT.

You read the accusations, and then conveniently forget if there has been a clarification.

By the end of the investigations Purohit and co will be totally innocent of all crimes........i just hope pakistan follows indians lead when it comes to the mumbai attackers.

wat was there to be refuted? when you went on and on with narrating the past events, then I just reminded that it was history. nothing to refute.

Any agreement made in teh past is 'history'. DO you think the Iranians or any other nation that signed the NPT can get away with 'oh its in the past and is history'. Of course not - agreements and commitments need to be upheld, otherwise you see the same happen that you woudl on an individual level in a society - anarchy and chaos, with people taking the law into their own hands since no one abides by their commitments.

That is why I said that you posted no refutation.

when you said that terrorists in kashmir are 'freedom fighters', I thought you were justifying their acts just because they are acting with an excuse.
Its no excuse - the UN and international community recognizes Kashmir as disputed, and India has violated UN resolutions on the issue as well as the bilateral commitment with Pakistan - it is therefore illegally occupying it.

when you mentioned that UN resolutions are valid, I thought they were no longer relevent and said the same. AFAIK, UN resolutions on kashmir are not binding. if I am wrong, do correct me, but threatening ban is not the right approach.
The resolutions are not 'enforceable', however, India came to an agreement in the instrument of partition and in the UN that a plebiscite was to be held.

Therefore there was an agreement and commitment to pursue this path, and was publicly acknowledged by Nehru several times.

Just tell me, WHERE have i ever denied the fact that most Kashmiri's would not vote for India.

I have ALWAYS said, that the majority would definitely vote against India. But i have ALSO said, that with time, the percentage of such people will decrease and keep decreasing as long as India is able to provide the right climate. And it is what India is trying.

That is contrary to what you were implying in you earlier post when you said that "Regardless of everything, Kashmiri's defied the call of a united Hurriyat-which according to Pakistan is the TRUEST representative of Kashmiri's!"

But anyway, any day that Indians continue to accept that their position on Kashmir is illegal, counter to the wishes of the Kashmiris, and solely to further Indian expansionism by hook or crook, is good, since at least the truth is being acknowledged.

Perhaps future generations will not be so utterly morally and ethically bankrupt.

Any agreement made in teh past is 'history'. DO you think the Iranians or any other nation that signed the NPT can get away with 'oh its in the past and is history'. Of course not - agreements and commitments need to be upheld, otherwise you see the same happen that you woudl on an individual level in a society - anarchy and chaos, with people taking the law into their own hands since no one abides by their commitments.

That is why I said that you posted no refutation.

Its no excuse - the UN and international community recognizes Kashmir as disputed, and India has violated UN resolutions on the issue as well as the bilateral commitment with Pakistan - it is therefore illegally occupying it.

The resolutions are not 'enforceable', however, India came to an agreement in the instrument of partition and in the UN that a plebiscite was to be held.

Therefore there was an agreement and commitment to pursue this path, and was publicly acknowledged by Nehru several times.

I see no reason to refute a fact. india accepted UN resolutions since it was a different situation then. now the situation has changed a lot. UN resolution were not binding, so india can refuse to abide by them.

Has UN recognised the 'freedom fighters' as well?
if you justify terrorism, then you cant expect india to bow to that pressure and accept your view. once pakistan has started supporting terrorist in the name of 'freedom fighters' doesnt it lose a moral stand to then ask india for plebiscite?

I see no reason to refute a fact. india accepted UN resolutions since it was a different situation then. now the situation has changed a lot. UN resolution were not binding, so india can refuse to abide by them.

Has UN recognised the 'freedom fighters' as well?
if you justify terrorism, then you cant expect india to bow to that pressure and accept your view. once pakistan has started supporting terrorist in the name of 'freedom fighters' doesnt it lose a moral stand to then ask india for plebiscite?

Again, if nations go around willfully violating agreements and commitments, it leads to anarchy. India initiated the UNSC debate, and endorsed and accepted the UNSC resolutions and recomendations, as did Pakistan. India also endorsed and accepted the Conditions of the Instrument of Partition, that stated that a disputed accession woudl be resolved in y resort ot a plebiscite.

So we have multiple clear instances of India's acceptance of a plebiscite in international and bilateral forums. None of these agreements or commitments had a time line. To not implement these is a violation of India's commitment and of those agreements, and as I said, that leads to anarchy. And yes, the UN and the international community do recognize the right of a people to struggle against occupation - the majority of the Kashmiri Freedom Fighters are not terrorists.

This thread is being merged with the existing Kashmir thread, since we are going over the same arguments.

Please read through the rest of the old thread before posting any further srijeesh.

Please read through the rest of the old thread before posting any further srijeesh.

after going through some of the pages of the thread, it is clear that there is no point in arguing any further. you have your opinions and I have mine.
lets agree to disagree.

the elections were free and fair, this was accepted world wide including UN, unlike election in PaOK.

since when has the indians cared about what the u.n. thinks?
if that was the case the kashmiris would be free right now.

of course, there are STILL lot of kashmiris who may desire azadi, but there has been a remarkable change in the attitude. they are now willing to participate in indian democracy and choose their govt. so, it is proven that when insurgancy and crossborder terrorism are not present, kashmiris are willing to participate in indian democracy. this is a very encouraging situation for india and discouraging for its detractors.
and the fact that ppl chose pro-delhi parties makes the indian view stronger that kashmiris need development and nothing else.

cross-border?
its a disputed territory the people have the right to move wherever they want
and the only change in the attitude is that the kashmiri people have understood what kind of movements develop worldy support for their fight and what kind of movements the indian government cant do much about but to hold curfews.

and the fact that a pro-delhi party was elected makes it pretty easy to understand and believe the election was fixed

this is exactly wat india wants. the ppl to realise that separatists are useless when it comes to providing ppl, this can be done only by govt. and this realisation is dawning on them. matter of few more years.:enjoy:

unfortunately india and indians cant and probably wont understand what the kashmiris want :tsk:

That is contrary to what you were implying in you earlier post when you said that "Regardless of everything, Kashmiri's defied the call of a united Hurriyat-which according to Pakistan is the TRUEST representative of Kashmiri's!"
It implies that there is a growing number of people who are willing to lay down their demand to secede. It implies that the forumla is right to an extent. It also means that maybe 50 years down the line, the majority of the people will want to stay with India.

I said, its a change from what happened in the past, a slap on the face of Hurriyat-who Pakistan backs as the true representative of Kashmiri's and who are separatists and a win for National Conference, which is a mainstream political party. There is a lot you can understand by reading these elections, you seem to be stuck to just one position. You cant see the changing of views in Kashmir.

Now after this post, you will again quote me and start saying why doesnt India gofor plebicite then, which in essence will mean that you have not understood till date what i have tried to mention about Kashmir. I reiterate-its a change in progress, it is not completed, but its certainly visible.

But anyway, any day that Indians continue to accept that their position on Kashmir is illegal, counter to the wishes of the Kashmiris, and solely to further Indian expansionism by hook or crook, is good, since at least the truth is being acknowledged.

Perhaps future generations will not be so utterly morally and ethically bankrupt.
Stop trying to force your words in other's mouths. I have NOT said that I agree to the notion that India's position on Kashmir is illegal. I said the majority might and most likely will not vote to stay with India in case of a vote. That doesnt make Kashmir any less Indian, or our position in Kashmir any less legal. Kashmir is Indian, legally, since we have signed the IoA with the Raja of Kashmir. Whether the populace agree's or not, has not been considered when commenting on the legality of things. That we agreed to take it to UN for plebicite does NOT make India's position illegal, and finally-what Nehru decided at UN for a plebicite , did NOT include a time frame, so India is not bound by any time frame either, we may take our own sweet time.

Kashmir settlement to help ease Afghan issue: British MPs

By M. Ziauddin

LONDON, Feb 6: As Pakistan was commemorating Kashmir Solidarity Day on Thursday, inside the House of Commons parliamentarians from across the political divide debated the issues confronting Pakistan, Afghanistan and India with particular reference to the Kashmir dispute.

Prominent among the speakers were Sir Gerald Kaufman, Mohammad Sarwar, Denis MacShane, Adam Holloway and Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Defence Quentin Davies.

They said tensions between India and Pakistan should be eased to facilitate resolution of the Kashmir dispute which they believed would lead to stabilising Afghanistan.

Those who attended the debate included Foreign Secretary David Miliband and Shadow Foreign Secretary William Hague.

Sir Gerald said: “We must do all we can to make it a top priority to solve the world’s oldest unresolved dispute of Jammu and Kashmir,” adding that Britain needed to do “much more” to put it high on the international agenda.

He dismissed the Indian criticism of Mr Miliband’s remarks about Kashmir as unacceptable and warned that not paying serious attention to Kashmir resolution would be a prime strategic error.

He viewed that a Kashmir settlement was imperative owing to “all the strategic reasons for which Britain is in Afghanistan”.

He said that resolution of the Kashmir dispute would also eliminate the risk of “unnecessary military confrontation” between the two nuclear-armed countries, apart from reducing what he called the waste of resources on military spending by them.

Mr Sarwar said British government should help Pakistan and India in resolving the conflict, underscoring that the settlement was also an essential part of the roadmap to a stabilised Afghanistan. He expressed the hope that Prime Minister Gordon Brown, Foreign Secretary Miliband and US President Barack Obama would work with the governments of the region to build a stable and peaceful South Asia.

Denis MacShane pointed to the atrocities being committed by Indian troops in occupied Kashmir as well as India’s militaristic and jingoistic postures towards Pakistan, and asked his government to persuade India to de-escalate tension.

He said it was time the British politicians stopped shying away from discussing Kashmir.

Adam Holloway of the Conservative Party said that Britain should help reduce tension between India and Pakistan as this would let Pakistan focus on counter-insurgency engagement in its tribal areas.

Later, some of these parliamentarians also spoke at the Pakistan High Commission where a function on the Kashmir Solidarity Day had been organised.

They urged India to resume urgently composite dialogue with Pakistan so that the Kashmir dispute could be resolved amicably and the relations between the two neighbours were normalised.

Kashmiri leaders based in the UK also made speeches on the occasion.

It is learnt that Sir Kaufman in a letter written recently to the president of Azad Jammu and Kashmir has reaffirmed his support for the Kashmir cause.

Martin Salter represented the All-Party Parliamentary Group and read out a message from the Chair of the Group, Margaret Moran, MP.

In her message, Ms Morgan said that she had consistently supported the view that “the only sustainable solution to the crisis is self-determination for the Kashmiri people”.

Kashmir settlement to help ease Afghan issue: British MPs -DAWN - Top Stories; February 07, 2009

sir
there is no solution to Kashmir, .......
people of Kashmir don't want Pakistan , they don't want India, they don't want independent state , they just want to progress and have a happy life, which they deserve!!!!!

I have quoted the above as I've found the above one very touching and real. People of kashmir do deserve peace, progress and happiness. For that matter, all humankind deserves the same and this fighting and bickering, no matter based on what (teritory, religion, culture, race), will only take us down. Another touching fact I have come across was a pakistani muslim member using a Albert Einstein (a Jew) quote (on world war IV predicted to be fought with stones) as his signature.

After going through this interesting and neverending debates, I would just like to summarize my view as below:

1. Both side agree to the UN plebiside with the pre-condition that all forms of terrorism must be stopped immediately and well before the voting procedure.

2. Allow UN troups/ observer to ensure 100% peace and subsequent fair voting process. Both side may agree to properly identify and divide provinces like northern area, azad kashmir, kashmir valey, Jammu, Ladakh and chinese occupied kashmir.

3. Respect each provinces' decision to either stay with India or Pakistan. Independent kashmir should not be a option as it is not viable for obvious reasons.

Pak, India were close to agreement on Kashmir: Kasuri

NEW DELHI, Feb. 19 (APP): Khurshid Mahmud Kasuri, Former Foreign Minister said Pakistan and India were close to agreement on Kashmir through back-channel diplomacy.

In an interview with Karan Thapar on India Tonight on CNBC TV18, Kasuri said both the countries made substantial progress on four parts of Kashmir solution including demilitarization, regionalization, joint mechanism and self-government.

Referring to demilitarization, he said both countries believed agreement can not be reached without providing comfort to Kashmiris. But schedules of withdrawal of forces had not been agreed but the principle was that it would provide relief to Kashmiris.

Without divulging the details, he said regionalisation was the second part of the whole settlement.

When asked whether both sides were working out how they would give self-governance to their respective people or was there an agreed form that both sides had to follow, Kasuri said “You know, to be very honest, I don’t want to mislead your audience, I think we were more or less working on similar sort of things on both sides.”

“If you want more understanding, I can tell you we even privately discussed when, hopefully when the whole thing was done, neither side would proclaim victory. Because if you did that, it would be destructive of the whole spirit of the agreement, Kasuri further said.

When asked about joint mechanism which was being worked out, he said “there would be representatives from our side of Kashmir, this side of Kashmir, and Pakistanis and Indians.” They were supposed to look after certain subjects.

When asked to elaborate, he said “where Indians and Pakistanis would be present, and so would people from both parts of Kashmir, because that is how Joint Mechanism would work.”

In this mechanism, he said both countries had substantial understanding.

To a question, he further said Pakistan wanted Kashmiris to be involved.

“We wanted Kashmiris to be involved, and India was not that keen, so we arrived at this modus vivendi that your Kashmiris would travel to Pakistan, our Kashmiris would travel here and meet your leaders and your Kashmiris meet our leaders in an indirect form. We would have preferred a direct Kashmiri Participation,” he said.

He said these back channels talks were held all over the world.

“I’ll tell you what happened. Certain suggestions were floated by Pakistan, and then representatives met. Tariq Aziz remained from our side throughout. Actually you know, the whole thing started with Brijesh Mishra. Although the concrete non-papers did not start then. The process started with him. But I must pay a compliment to both the governments. Both PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee and PM Manmohan Singh they both helped the process, he said.

He said the talks started with Brijesh Mishra, but not many details. Then Dikshit took over. Unfortunately Dikshit died then Lambha took over.

To another question, he said “It is sheer bad luck. Sheer bad luck. I can tell you. We hoped somewhere in 2006 that the Indian PM would come and I think there were 5 state elections, including UP. So perhaps the government thought it would be more advisable to go afterwards.

“So we said OK fine. Can you believe it, before we could invite him, CJ Chaudhry was removed in Pakistan. So first it was Indian elections or state elections, then the CJ. When we thought we would call him, the entire national attention was diverted to the CJ affair.”

When asked whether politics in both these countries at one time or another made it impossible for the understandings to reach, he said “You know, in our case it was misfortune, not politics, the removal of the CJ.”

When asked, many commentators in papers in India, including Omar Abdullah, the current Chief Minister of Held Kashmir who specifically said this in an interview with him the agreement could not be reached because at the crucial moment the Indian government backed off. Maybe it lost courage or conviction, Kasuri said he would not confirm or deny it as it is not appropriate for him to comment on the conduct of the government of India.

When asked on other outstanding issues such as Sir Creek and Siachen, he said both countries were also going to sign agreement on Sir Creek.

Referring to issue of Sir Creek, he said there was almost an agreement on it.

“It was ready. Joint survey, Joint maps. Only political will was required. If the PM of India had come when we thought he would, we would have actually signed it, and that would have created the right atmosphere for resolution of other disputes, particularly the issue of J&K. We needed the right atmosphere,” he said.

Referring to issue of Siachen, he said there was a lot of understanding. In fact both sides had worked out certain schedules of disengagement whereby Indian and Pakistani concerns would be met.

When asked whether this was something you felt the Indians were willing to stand up for and abide by, he said “that was my impression because I was told at a very high level by an Indian official.”

“So even though on the Siachen issue we may not have been close to an agreement ready for signing as was the case with Sir Creek, nonetheless there was a very close measure of understanding..,” he said.

Kasuri further said “I would say among sections of the Govt of India, no govt speaks with one voice, there was agreement, and given time, they would have convinced other members of the Indian establishment.”

He said both countries had agreed that peace process was irreversible.

“They announced publicly that peace process is irreversible,” he said.

Associated Press Of Pakistan ( Pakistan's Premier NEWS Agency ) - Pak, India were close to agreement on Kashmir: Kasuri

India grapples with the Obama era
By M K Bhadrakumar

The past week offered a reality check. The visit by the newly appointed US Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan, Richard Holbrooke, to the region underscored that Islamabad's support for the US war strategy in Afghanistan has become critical. The war is at a crucial stage and salvaging it appears increasingly difficult.

More to the point, given the overall fragility of the political situation in Pakistan, a stage is reached beyond which the US cannot "pressure" Pakistan. Therefore, in a change of approach, the US will have no choice but to work with Pakistan. In the coming period, as Holbrooke gradually opens the political track leading to an Afghan settlement, need of Pakistan's cooperation increases further.

Meanwhile, the revelation that the US Predator drones operate out of Pakistani bases underlines how closely Washington and Islamabad have been working. The US's acquiescence in the release of AQ Khan revealed the great latitude towards Pakistan's concerns. The Indian strategists who fancied that New Delhi was Washington's preferred partner in South Asia are stunned. Clearly, India is nowhere near as valuable an ally as Pakistan for the US for the present.

Looking ahead, Obama's decision on Wednesday approving a troop buildup in Afghanistan constitutes a defining moment. He has put his presidency on the firing line. From this week onward, Obama's war has begun. The war can well consume his presidency. Either he succeeds, or he gets mired in the war. Yet, the new US strategy is still in the making. Delhi takes note that it is at such a crucial juncture that the Pakistani army chief, General Parvez Kayani, has been invited to go across to Washington for consultations.

The message is clear: Washington will be in no mood to antagonize its Pakistani partner and Delhi is expected to keep tensions under check in its relations with Islamabad.

Kashmir beckons
New Delhi pulled out all the stops when rumors surfaced that Holbrooke's mandate might include the Kashmir problem. Obama paid heed to Indian sensitivities. But at a price. It compels India to curtail its own excessive instincts in recent years to seek US intervention in keeping India-Pakistan tensions in check.

In short, New Delhi will have to pay much greater attention to its bilateral track with Pakistan. And, of course, Pakistan will expect India to be far more flexible. Rightly or wrongly, Pakistan harbors a feeling that India took unilateral advantage from the relative four-year calm in their relationship without conceding anything in return.

In a sensational interview with India's top television personality, Karan Thapar, on Thursday night, Pakistan's former foreign minister Khurshid Mahmud Kasuri confirmed what many in New Delhi suspected, namely, that through back channel diplomacy, Islamabad and New Delhi had reached a broad understanding on contentious issues such as Sir Creek, Siachen and Kashmir as far back as two years ago.

The Indian prime minister was expected to visit Pakistan to conclude some of the agreements but the Indian side apparently began developing cold feet and it is "sheer bad luck", as Kasuri put it, that the momentum dissipated.

To quote Kasuri, "If the Prime Minister of India had come when we [Pakistan] thought he would, we would have actually signed it, and that would have created the right atmosphere for resolution of other disputes, particularly the issue of J&K [Jammu and Kashmir]. We needed the right atmosphere."

In other words, there is always a lurking danger that at some point, Holbrooke may barge into the Kashmir problem by way of addressing the core issues of regional security. The Bush administration had been kept constantly briefed by New Delhi on its back-channel discussions with Islamabad regarding Kashmir. Retracting from any commitments given to Pakistan becomes problematic at this stage.

At the same time, the Indian government has done nothing so far to sensitize domestic public opinion that such highly delicate discussions involving joint India-Pakistan governance of the Kashmir region have reached an advanced stage.

Thus, in a manner of speaking, with Holbrooke's arrival in the region this past week, the clock began ticking on the Kashmir issue. Pakistan will incrementally mount pressure that Obama must insist on India moving forward on a settlement of the Kashmir problem in the overall interests of peace and regional stability.

And New Delhi will remain watchful. Holbrooke's visit to New Delhi on Monday was kept low-key. The Indian media fawned on any mid-level official calling from the Bush administration, but Holbrooke was tucked away as if under quarantine. And no wonder; there could be many among New Delhi's elite who feel nostalgic for the tranquility and predictability of the Bush era.

Ambassador M K Bhadrakumar was a career diplomat in the Indian Foreign Service. His assignments included the Soviet Union, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Germany, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Kuwait and Turkey.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the same time, the Indian government has done nothing so far to sensitize domestic public opinion that such highly delicate discussions involving joint India-Pakistan governance of the Kashmir region have reached an advanced stage.

The point was discussed a bit back..http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/19471-settle-kashmir-get-reward-7.html

1.The president of kashmir is rotated every year between the indian and pakistan president.

2.All three flags flown on public buildings.

3.Kashmir to have no military-foreign postions......the kashmiri wishes are represented through the indian-pak embassies.

4.elected memebers of the kashmir parliment are represented in the pak-india parliments.

5.Pakistan pays for the resettling of hindu kashmiri refugees and india pays for the resettling of muslim kashmiri refugees and both pay towrds the sikh refugees to be resettled.

6.People with pakistani-indian passports keep the same documentation but are issued a kashmir citizen card.

7.Merge the two police forces.

8.Both currencies can be used in kashmir....dual pricing like you have on any holiday location.

9.Kashmiris on the indian side participate in the the indian election and send representatives to the indian parliment

10.The kashmiris on the pakistani side participate in the pakistani election and send representatives to the pak parliment.

11.The people of kashmir also have kashmir specfic elections where non military-foreign issues are debated in the kashmir parliment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom