What's new

The EU says it does not want to destabilize russia to this extreme

German foreign minister Steinmeier and High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Mogherini said yesterday that it was not and is not the EU wish to push russia into economic chaos.

The current events in russia reached an extreme level, that could be hard to control. The fear is, that Putin could fall and chaos breaks out.

"
Steinmeier said the dramatic fall in the rouble currency and falling energy prices had created an economic and financial crisis in Russia, which would affect the political landscape there.

"It cannot be in our interests that this runs out of control," he said. "We need to keep this in mind in our sanctions policy.""

Germany's Steinmeier fears sanctions could destabilize Russia - Yahoo News

The EU has lot of Russian investors. Plus they rely on Russian gas.

You do realize that Google alone has more cash than russia? Russia is for strategic interests but not as a market.

What??
What is their GDP?
AFAIK they have 2 trillion economy.

What??
What is their GDP?
AFAIK they have 2 trillion economy.

check their current numbers. They shrinked under size of netherlands and come close greece. Wonder how deep putin wants to sink.

I doubt they meant any thing other than threats but it has been a rather dramatic fall for Russia, despite Russias transcontinental status it is ultimately a European country (well the part where most of them live and every member of staff seems to be a European) and its fate will be entwined with ours. Sure they can make deals with the East but big gas deals that span over decades isnt going to keep your economy afloat, modernize, integrate, better relations and resume the existence you had with your other Europeans until you become communists, have the odd fight but then become friends again.

I doubt they meant any thing other than threats but it has been a rather dramatic fall for Russia, despite Russias transcontinental status it is ultimately a European country (well the part where most of them live and every member of staff seems to be a European) and its fate will be entwined with ours. Sure they can make deals with the East but big gas deals that span over decades isnt going to keep your economy afloat, modernize, integrate, better relations and resume the existence you had with your other Europeans until you become communists, have the odd fight but then become friends again.

Culturally,Russians are far from being Europeans.They never were,they'll never be.

check their current numbers. They shrinked under size of netherlands and come close greece. Wonder how deep putin wants to sink.

But whatever it is one thing is absolutely sure,China wont allow a pro western govt in Russia.For that they need Putin.

Putin keeps getting compared to Hitler which is nonsense. If the Russian economy collapses and Weimar style hyperinflation occurs then a real Russian Hitler could rise to power.

I agree with you.
You dont want them going berserk....

Please do show everyone these numbers, I did not know that the Russian economy went from 2 trillion to 7 hundred billion.

The hell are they than?

He is confused, there is no such thing as "European culture". A German, Frenchman and Englishmen could not be any more different. A Romanian....no comment. A great part of European science, literature, music, ect came From Russia; just because Russia is not in the EU, NATO clique does not mean they are somehow not European. If anything Russia has strong Greek influence, followed by German.

Please do show everyone these numbers, I did not know that the Russian economy went from 2 trillion to 7 hundred billion.

He is confused, there is no such thing as "European culture". A German, Frenchman and Englishmen could not be any more different. A Romanian....no comment. A great part of European science, literature, music, ect came From Russia; just because Russia is not in the EU, NATO clique does not mean they are somehow not European. If anything Russia has strong Greek influence, followed by German.

nothing in european culture came from russia since russia did not participate in european history. Here are some mayor blocks of european history...i see no russia there:

- hellenism
- roman empire
- christianity
- crusades
- renaissance
- conqista
- protestantism
- industrialisation
- steam engine
- car...

I'm afraid that tschaykowski, dostojewsky are not enough to considered european in any ways.

Putin keeps getting compared to Hitler which is nonsense. If the Russian economy collapses and Weimar style hyperinflation occurs then a real Russian Hitler could rise to power.
And you guyz will be again responsible for making Hitler out of sane guy.

@ptldM3 I think he is talking about the total valuation of the Moscow stock exchange, rather than the Russian economy.
And I think China is more interested in Russian gas. Currently Russia is in a spot, so China would like to squeeze better deals from them. Also, Russia is no match for China. Look at the Google maps of Blagoveshchensk, and the chinese city of Heihe just across the Amur river (Siberia-China). Fact is, Siberia faces a 15:1 manpower disadvantage with eastern China, and so Russia really has no option but to listen to China.

There is no intention to topple Putin. Putin was always a good leader for western interests. We know what we have with Putin. But chaos creates anarchy and anarchy creates terror. As Merkel said, she will not support further sanctions, but also not lift the existing ones.

There is no intention to topple Putin. Putin was always a good leader for western interests. We know what we have with Putin. But chaos creates anarchy and anarchy creates terror. As Merkel said, she will not support further sanctions, but also not lift the existing ones.
German auto companies, like VW for instance have a lot invested in Russia. Don't you think they are pressuring Merkel?

Back
Top Bottom