Arena - KMB (Russia)
LEDS-150 - Saab (Sweden)
Iron Fist - IMI (Israel)
KAPS - ADD (S.Korea)
MAPS - Diehl, IMI (Germany/Israel)
AWiSS - Diehl (Germany)
Quick Kill - Raytheon (US)
AMAP-ADS - IBD (Germany)

But only Trophy is operational. And now its employed on entire brigade.
There are near hundred of such systems developed or in developement, of all them Drozd was the first actually developed and fielded, back in the 70s. Analogous in characteristics Trophy was deployed only recently, it is nothing special in this field.

These pictures show how innefective Merkava's "modular composite armour" is, as compared to old T-72 with Kontakt. The armour module falls apart after a single cumulative hit (RPG or ATGM warhead), leaving rather huge vulnerable zone.

There are near hundred of such systems developed or in developement, of all them Drozd was the first actually developed and fielded, back in the 70s. Analogous in characteristics Trophy was deployed only recently, it is nothing special in this field.
Trophy uses precise hit with explosively formed elements and provides 360 grad protection. In addition it shows the source of fire.

Drozd fires 107-mm shrapnel shell that slaughters everyone around and protects only the frontal arc (which is well protected anyway).

Thats why only small number of ancient T-55 tanks was equipped with Drozd and soon it was phased out.

These pictures show how innefective Merkava's "modular composite armour" is, as compared to old T-72 with Kontakt. The armour module falls apart after a single cumulative hit (RPG or ATGM warhead), leaving rather huge vulnerable zone.
The Free Syrian Army destroyed Russian tank-46 Russian BMP T-72

...The armour module falls apart after a single cumulative hit (RPG or ATGM warhead), leaving rather huge vulnerable zone.

There will be no other cumulative hit. :no:

Why? The Windguard radar of “system Trophy” also localizes the firing position of the missile being tracked (tracking GPS), enabling ground troops and air combat support (F-16, AH-64 Apache or UAV) to immediately engage the active enemy positions, eliminating follow-up attacks on its armor.

See “1:04 time” in video link:

Last edited by a moderator:
Trophy uses precise hit with explosively formed elements and provides 360 grad protection. In addition it shows the source of fire.

Drozd fires 107-mm shrapnel shell that slaughters everyone around and protects only the frontal arc (which is well protected anyway).

Thats why only small number of ancient T-55 tanks was equipped with Drozd and soon it was phased out.
Drozd and Trophy are analogous in capability, only difference is that israelis developed it 3 decades later, to provide protection against the same threat. They only make a big deal of it, while in fact it is a sign of backwardness.

What has this to do with Merkava or with what I said ?

Drozd and Trophy are nowhere near, trophy is all sphere while droz isnt, trophy is instant rechargeable while droz isnt, trophy tested against 21c threats while droz is for 80s, trophy is operational while droz is not.

First of all concerning IED.

Anyway the Tank (M1 A2, Leo II A7, Merka IV, Challenger 2, AMX-56 Leclerc, T90 the worst) who will resist to an IED three rounds of 155 combined or 50 kg of Semtex “from below” was not born. So let the SF…

M1A1 Abrams Runs Over A VBIED/Car bomb Must Watch!! - YouTube

The “Chobham armour” of Challenger 2 tank and the M1 Abrams tank was defeated in Iraq “by a simple RPG-29”.

In August 2006, an RPG-29 round has penetrated the frontal ERA of a Challenger 2 tank (Chobham armour) during an engagement in al-Amarah, Iraq, wounding several crew members.

In May 2008, the “New York Times” disclosed that an American M1 tank (Chobham armour) had also been damaged by an RPG-29 in Iraq, which uses a tandem-charge high explosive anti-tank warhead to penetrate explosive reactive armor (ERA) as well as composite armor behind it, in Iraq. The American Army ranks the RPG-29 threat to American armor so high that they refused to allow the newly formed Iraqi army to buy it, fearing it will fall into insurgent hands.

I can not imagine what would happen if it was a real warhead ATGM (Anti-tank guided missile) with a military warhead otherwise top.

It depends on where it was hit, your article says Abrams was damaged but not destroyed. And I don't believe that the Challenger 2 was penetrated in the front turret but at the bottom which are all tanks weaknesses.

I think they are unfortunately all dead.

Unfortunately it was never proven they were dead because I don't see the turret being penetrated otherwise they would have recorded the aftermath and showing ammo cooking off. All I see are parts of the storage being blown to bits which is common when exposed outside and the video was cut off immediately afterwards.

But worry no more. Now your M1 A2 Abrams will soon be completely protected by the system “Trophy (ASPRO-A) Active Protection Systems (APS)”.:azn:

Thats great it helps reduce deaths and repairs.

And about the modular armor I thought you meant interchangeable like French Leclerc or Patria AMV that are modular. Not the armor itself that comprised of different materials.

M1A1 Abrams Runs Over A VBIED/Car bomb Must Watch!! - YouTube

It depends on where it was hit, your article says Abrams was damaged but not destroyed. And I don't believe that the Challenger 2 was penetrated in the front turret but at the bottom which are all tanks weaknesses.

Unfortunately it was never proven they were dead because I don't see the turret being penetrated otherwise they would have recorded the aftermath and showing ammo cooking off. All I see are parts of the storage being blown to bits which is common when exposed outside and the video was cut off immediately afterwards.

Thats great it helps reduce deaths and repairs.

And about the modular armor I thought you meant interchangeable like French Leclerc or Patria AMV that are modular. Not the armor itself that comprised of different materials.

You are very very funny.:lol:

Always pretending to never understand.

At least do not semblance all the time. Put the right amount of explosive.

Flashback…

See all old links:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/milita...y-active-protection-system-2.html#post3102152

http://www.defence.pk/forums/milita...y-active-protection-system-2.html#post3103797

http://www.defence.pk/forums/milita...y-active-protection-system-2.html#post3107022

http://www.defence.pk/forums/milita...y-active-protection-system-2.html#post3107153

I don't deny Merkava-4 enormous body protection but it got destroyed though:
@Bubblegum Crisis, I think you are exaggerating, get down to earth...

I think we have acquired a jewel in this forum in the form of the member Bubblegum Crisis. Really impressed with you mate.

I think we have acquired a jewel in this forum in the form of the member Bubblegum Crisis. Really impressed with you mate.

Bla bla bla:blah:
All he is doing here is underestimating your recognized sources and over exaggerating Merkava-4 and any other Israeli products capabilities. And the worst and most upsetting thing was mocking Al-Hussien tank!!!
702652.gif
If he were in an Arab forum, he would be in a big trouble!
39172.gif

Bla bla bla:blah:
All he is doing here is underestimating your recognized sources and over exaggerating Merkava-4 and any other Israeli products capabilities. And the worst and most upsetting thing was mocking Al-Hussien tank!!!
702652.gif
If he were in an Arab forum, he would be in a big trouble!
39172.gif

Well actually I saw that he looked at it from a completely scientific manner. He even criticized the Abrams Tanks.

Well actually I saw that he looked at it from a completely scientific manner. He even criticized the Abrams Tanks.

What about the last video I posted that displayed several destroyed Merkava-3/4 tanks which he tried to portray as an impenetrable one? Off course, forget about the empty slogans in it, just see the pics, so, mute it. However, I know that this tank is the most protected one, but he exaggerates more than Israeli themselves. I posted a diagram of protection levels of tanks world wide, which is considered a respectable reference, but he turned a blind eye on it. Anyway, NP.

What about the last video I posted that displayed several destroyed Merkava-3/4 tanks which he tried to portray as an impenetrable one? Off course, forget about the empty slogans in it, just see the pics, so, mute it. However, I know that this tank is the most protected one, but he exaggerates more than Israeli themselves. I posted a diagram of protection levels of tanks world wide, which is considered a respectable reference, but he turned a blind eye on it. Anyway, NP.

No from my readings he acknowledged that they are destructible and have problems but also said that the APS will eliminate most of those problems. And quite frankly I believe he is right.

Back
Top Bottom