What's new

THE CURE FOR THE ILLS OF DEMOCRACY

Neutron

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Many people in Pakistan believe Cure for ills of democracy is more democracy. They are political workers of different political parties. The idea to install technocrat or National government is yet not popular in Pakistan. The basic reason is simple. Taste of Past bitter experiences is yet not over. The notion of civil military supremacy is based on false premise. Civil-Military is not name of two different species. All military men were civilian before joining military & after retirement they return to the basic. Military is a profession like other. Don't consider it a specie different then yourself. I agree with the narrative of Maryam Na Sharief that the cure for the ills of democracy is more democracy. But I disagree with the hidden notion of this narrative, the false claim of so called democrats that we are heading towards more democracy.The sweet narrative of Mayam Na Sharief The cure for the ills of democracy is more democracy is true in its real sense but unfortunately our democratic parties including PMLN & PPP are not democratic. They are families owned business empires of loot & khsoot. Considering the real facts of family ownership of political parties allow me to believe we are heading towards dynasty. We are not moving toward more democracy. In these special circumstance only cure for the ills of democracy is no democracy. We need "no democracy" to clean the ills of democracy. The logic is simple. A patient cannot treat another patient. We need a doctor & surgery for complete recovery of this patient. So as a general principle doctor cannot be the patient himself, and we are not exception.

Democracy, in my opinion, isn't good for a country with a substantial population of people who cannot read or write.

Anyway, we should rule by Sharia law.

The cure for the ills of democracy is small government. When government is powerless in handing out favors, does it really matter when democracy is more or less? Democracy only brings one benefit, which is peaceful regime change, and nothing else. It never promises in bringing good government, responsive government, or whatever government form in your fancy.

we need Chinese authoritarian style government instant punishment for corruption.

Democracy in Pakistan

Zulfikar Bhutto> Nusrat Bhutto > Benazir Bhutto > Zardari > Bilawal
Nawaz Sharif > Shahbaz Sharif > Maryam Nawaz > Hamza Shahbaz > Junaid Safdar

LOL

I mean no offence OP, but this isn't solid political analysis in my opinion, or at least it hints to that in the underlying analysis. Or at the very least the terms you're using aren't accurate, and sometimes that alone proves enough to mislead opinion, I know because I've noticed this happen in myself.

Pakistan's political problems are quite generic but have multiple examples. Corruption and lack of accountability, tyrannies who can't have their political power checked by the people, this then also leads to rank incompetency in our leaders.

You are constantly asserting that there are two sides to the political debate in Pakistan, or at least these are the only two prominent ones. The first being whatever it is you're promoting to change Pakistan, which I'll discuss in a second, and the other end are those whom you describe as 'political workers of different political parties' who say the cure for the 'ills of democracy is more democracy'. Please don't conflate Pakistan's broken system with a functioning democracy, and to simplify the case for civilian rule down to these few words is a bit absurd.

Also, Pakistanis have all the right do be distrusting of the role of military in politics, which it should have no role. Many times in our history, we've had all political powers usurped by dictators. And no matter what one thinks of the dysfunctional civilian system, the military system is no better and only prolongs these oscillations between the binary choice of political systems and the instability caused therein.

We need "no democracy" to clean the ills of democracy. The logic is simple. A patient cannot treat another patient. We need a doctor & surgery for complete recovery of this patient. So as a general principle doctor cannot be the patient himself, and we are not exception.

I would also ask what exactly you mean by the need for a doctor and for surgery. Who's the doctor in this analogy and what's the surgery required? In plain words would clarify a lot of things. Other than that, you are right that there are profound issues with the current system, and it is unsustainable.

Democracy, dictatorship, monarchy...no matter what type of government, it would work wonders for ppl as long as the person/persons running it are good/honest ppl working for their subjects. This is often not the case bcuz most ppl are not angels. We r all humans who have greed for money and power and once given the chance we do all kinds of shady things to fill our pockets even if at the expense of those subjects we were supposed to serve. Look at any type of government of any era and u will see this human nature at play.

During the olden days of monarchy, once someone sat at the throne they were unwilling to let go of it...bcuz as expected, any human would want to hold on to that kind of power. This would then pass from father to son and no matter how good or bad the monarch, ppl were stuck with him/her. The king would place his family members and other boot lickers in key positions. Others who helped the king rule over his kingdom, the elites/nobles were no different either. They also abused their power(though it was lesser) and when given the chance didn't hesitate to overthrow the king and take the throne for themselves.

Generation after generation of trying the same crap, ppl finally realized that we should limit "power"...so that even if we get a bad ruler something can be done about it...and ideas such as separation of powers/limited terms in office were put in place. No longer would ppl inherit the throne just bcuz their father had it. Any citizen could be elected if voted for by the ppl. This was a good step. Recognizing how humans abuse power and limiting it...putting checks and balances in place. This only tackled part of the problem for a limited time...

The second key element of human nature that so far still has its hold in almost all forms of governments is money. Soon all these different branches realized that they can just work together and hold on to this power. Money is the uniting factor behind it. Now a president(Zardari for example) can have the parliament and the prime minister in his pocket(through money and influence)...NAB, the institution responsible for checking for corruption, also turned a blind eye to the shenanigans of Zardari and his cronies. The only branch of government not working with him was the Judicial branch...normally those ppl can also be bought and sold.

...so in short it doesn't matter if power is consolidated into one person's hands or divided in a thousand pieces...it's only a matter of time before those thousand pieces figure out that they can just work together so all of them can profit off of this opportunity that they have.

This problem isn't just limited to Pakistan. Here in the US too politicians are bought frequently. For example, just recently Betsy Devos was nominated for the Secretary of Education by Trump(who is a Republican). Her only qualification being that her family donated millions to the Reublican party over the years...and even though she is ill suited for this job she was elected nonetheless bcuz the republicans had the majority in Congress.

Such will be the fate of all types/forms of governments until there can be a system that would have certain measures to keep the institutions meant to check each other from working together...in addition to separation of powers, limited terms, and things like NAB.

If the parliament and the Prime Minister wasn't in Zardari's pocket, his black money in Swiss accounts could be investigated...if NAB did its job and investigated him for corruption, he could've been removed from office and be convicted. Only in the face of consequences ppl would stay in line and do their duty without abusing their power. Until this happens all anyone can wish for is that "good" ppl should lead us...though that's just wishful thinking in my opinion.

Last edited:
Chinese SYSTEM IS IDEAL , the Government works as a GIANT CORPORATION
The HUMAN Resource department is federally controlled and it only select the most merited folks

chinesesystemofhigherpower.png

Democracy does not works in country where population is less then 90% Educated

All countries with high literacy have a good model of democracy implemented
while countries like Middle east or Pakistan or Africa have messed up solutions which creates a corrupt society as corrupt individuals can get to top positions by hook or crook methods

EDUCATION - JUSTICE SYSTEM , LITERACY creates the blueprint for Democratic system it has 0% chance in present Pakistan

Last edited:
That form of governance wont be approved because it goes against alot of personal interest of holding onto power.

Praying for a messiah is the only thing left for this country.

I mean no offence OP, but this isn't solid political analysis in my opinion, or at least it hints to that in the underlying analysis. Or at the very least the terms you're using aren't accurate, and sometimes that alone proves enough to mislead opinion, I know because I've noticed this happen in myself.

Pakistan's political problems are quite generic but have multiple examples. Corruption and lack of accountability, tyrannies who can't have their political power checked by the people, this then also leads to rank incompetency in our leaders.

You are constantly asserting that there are two sides to the political debate in Pakistan, or at least these are the only two prominent ones. The first being whatever it is you're promoting to change Pakistan, which I'll discuss in a second, and the other end are those whom you describe as 'political workers of different political parties' who say the cure for the 'ills of democracy is more democracy'. Please don't conflate Pakistan's broken system with a functioning democracy, and to simplify the case for civilian rule down to these few words is a bit absurd.

Also, Pakistanis have all the right do be distrusting of the role of military in politics, which it should have no role. Many times in our history, we've had all political powers usurped by dictators. And no matter what one thinks of the dysfunctional civilian system, the military system is no better and only prolongs these oscillations between the binary choice of political systems and the instability caused therein.

I would also ask what exactly you mean by the need for a doctor and for surgery. Who's the doctor in this analogy and what's the surgery required? In plain words would clarify a lot of things. Other than that, you are right that there are profound issues with the current system, and it is unsustainable.
Out of fear of public perception against intervention I guess military is not in a mood to do something unpopular. ISPR also clarified time & again that military is in favour of Rule of Law. Belive it , it is true. The idea of technocrat government is not popular. We are moving no where , till unpopular is not popular because judiciary don't have enough water. In current scenario Judiciary because of enough legal powers can play assertive role of doctors. Whatever they prescribe, holds constitutional & judicial umbrella wether it is technocrat or something else.

Out of fear of public perception against intervention I guess military is not in a mood to do something unpopular. ISPR also clarified time & again that military is in favour of Rule of Law. Belive it , it is true. The idea of technocrat government is not popular. We are moving no where , till unpopular is not popular because judiciary don't have enough water. In current scenario Judiciary because of enough legal powers can play assertive role of doctors. Whatever they prescribe, holds constitutional & judicial umbrella wether it is technocrat or something else.

I sincerely hope what you're saying is true. I hope that the military does have no wish to involve itself in politics any longer. I also hope that the judiciary are truly independent, empowered and only care about the rule of law and constitution. I don't need to tell how wrong these two points have been historically, especially in the interplay of the two. Also, I would suggest that the military's political power isn't limited to a dictatorship scenario, just because it isn't visible to us, doesn't mean that it's not there.

Democracy is the only way forward for Pakistan.
A technocrat government is not a solution and neither is any military rule.
We have problems of accountability and corruption not in the narrative of democracy.

Let’s it work ladies and gentlemen looli langdi behri goongi whatever let’s public decide what they want. By time it’s get mature.

Let’s it work ladies and gentlemen looli langdi behri goongi whatever let’s public decide what they want. By time it’s get mature.

sawaal ye hai kay

'phate kapre(democracy) pehenna behtar hai ya nanga(auth. govt.) behtar hai'

Back
Top Bottom