What's new

The Changing Face of Saudi Arabian Women

LOL, this is the worst kick I have ever seen

Don't be so negative. It is a woman and that kick is better than what most women are capable of. Also have in mind that she is 40 years old.

Why women are taking to YouTube in Saudi Arabia
By Bianca Britton, CNN

Updated 1352 GMT (2152 HKT) April 5, 2017

video_pinned_white_bg.jpg

(CNN)Al-Juhara Sajer is a 25-year-old lifestyle and makeup vlogger from Saudi Arabia.

With nearly half a million subscribers on YouTube, Sajer (pictured below) is part of a media revolution that has seen the Kingdom achieve the highest YouTube watch time per capita of any country in the world, according to analytics agency Tubular Labs.
In a country where movie theaters are illegal and music concerts are seldom permitted, young Saudis are increasingly relying on social media for entertainment.
More women, in particular, are using YouTube to express their views -- their videos have become so popular that consumption of female-related content in the Kingdom increased by 75% since last year, according to Google.
As a result of this surge in Arabic content on YouTube, watch time has increased not only within the Kingdom but throughout the entire Middle East and North Africa region.
Peter Salisbury, associate fellow of the Middle East and North Africa program at the Chatham House think tank, tells CNN that Saudi Arabia is at a unique juncture where citizens -- particularly the elite -- are pushing the boundaries of socially conservative norms.
And YouTube, it seems, is providing them with the perfect platform.
Saudis on YouTube
Most of the female vloggers CNN spoke to admitted to initially being hesitant about appearing on camera -- some still won't reveal their face.
"At the beginning I was afraid to appear on screen ... it was rare for a Saudi girl to appear on social media platforms and talk about things, (but) with time the fear disappeared, thanks to my family's support," Hessa Al Awad, another influential Saudi vlogger, tells CNN.
In the make-up tutorials Al Awad (above) posts, she sticks to Saudi convention by wearing the niqab. Despite the fact she's never revealed her face, her subscribers continue to grow.
Cooking vlogger, Amal Elmziryahi, who was born in Morocco but is based in Saudi Arabia, also generally refrains from revealing her face.
170208141351-hessa-al-award-saudi-youtuber-exlarge-169.jpeg

Hessa Al Awad is a 24-year old Saudi beauty creator based in Damam and an avid fan of Japanese pop culture.
"(I) decided to stick to recording my voice while filming my hands as they did the work," she tells CNN. "I thank god that people liked my channel despite my face not appearing in my videos."
Hatoon Kadi, on the other hand, has become the face of female comedy in the Kingdom with more than 313,000 subscribers.
"I just seized the opportunity, (because) female perspective is lacking," she tells CNN, adding that it was important to her that her video content never offended anyone.
"I will never insult anyone (and) I will never talk about sensitive issues like religion or politics, it's not me. So we just keep to the social issues," she says.
Lifestyle and comedy vlogger Njoud al Shammari, 21, (pictured right) reveals her full identity, and in doing so has exposed herself to criticism for being a woman on YouTube, she says.
"I was attacked by those around me to the degree that my brothers lost some of their friends," she tells CNN.
But clearly there are others who support her posts.
In one year on YouTube, she's attracted more than 890,000 subscribers and Tubular Labs recently listed both her and Sajer among the top five most influential Saudi female YouTubers.
"(YouTube) gives me the power to have a voice, not only to express myself but also express what (other women) need and what they feel (needs) challenging ... in our society," she says.
Saudi Arabia is a 'dynamic society'
The rise of Saudi women on YouTube coincides with the nation's ambitious "Vision 2030" program, which promises a wave of cultural reforms to diversify the kingdom's oil-dependent economy.
With more than half of the Saudi population below the age of 25, Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has been at the forefront of efforts to radically transform the Kingdom, particularly as chairman of Saudi Arabia's Council for Economic and Development Affairs.
170315130629-mohammed-bin-salman-exlarge-169.jpg

Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has risen to among Saudi Arabia's most influential figures since being named second-in-line to the throne in 2015.
Bin Salman says he envisions Saudi Arabia to be a "tolerant country with Islam as its constitution and moderation as its method."
Under "Vision 2030", there will be more than 450 registered amateur clubs for cultural activities by 2020 -- earlier this year the kingdom allowed its first major concert in almost seven years -- and female participation in the workforce should increase from 22% to 30%.
Salisbury, of Chatham House, tells CNN: "We tend to see Saudi Arabia as incredibly conservative and incredibly static, but as long as there has been a Saudi Arabia it's quite a dynamic society."
He adds that the workings of Saudi society that have long been kept behind closed doors are finally leaking out into the public sphere, thanks to platforms such as YouTube and Twitter.
"That's confusing for us because in an external perspective it seems like a country lost in time, but when in fact you chip away below the surface -- and we're talking about an urban elite level -- there is change happening.
"And change has been happening for a long time."
CNN's Samya Ayish, Alma Alturkumani, Balsate Ibrahim, Sarah Hassan and Nada AlTaher contributed to this report.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/04/middleeast/saudi-arabia-youtube/index.html

The Success of Saudi Women in Numbers

120 billion Riyals of investment in property

18 seats on municipal councils held by women

30 seats on the Shura Council occupied by women

50,000 commercial registrations in KSA

40% of jobs in the medical field

86% of jobs in government education

http://ksamissioneu.net/wp-content/...SIONEUNEWSLETTER-2017-Special-Women-Final.pdf

AGREEMENT SIGNED TO ENGAGE SAUDI WOMEN IN THE REAL ESTATE SECTOR

main_saudi_women_in_real_estate_1.jpg

World renowned property consultants Jones Lang LaSalle Pte Ltd (JLL) has signed a memorandum of understanding agreement with Effat University, a private non-profit institution of higher education for women in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, with the aim of encouraging female students to enter into the property sector. The move is another step forward for Vision 2030’s goal of encouraging Saudi women to enter into the work place, and in increasing employment opportunities for women in fields that have traditionally been relegated to men.

54637847847848.jpg

The memorandum was signed by Jamil Ghaznawi, Head of JLL KSA, and Dr. Haifa Jamal Al-Lail, President of Effat University. Under the agreement, JLL will educate students at Effat University via seminars, lectures, forums, meetings, training and conferences on the real estate sector in Saudi Arabia. The consultants will also offer female students internships at JLL in Saudi Arabia to provide them with practical experience in the real estate field.

BY ELIZABETH FIANO

http://www.abouther.com/node/3031/p...-signed-engage-saudi-women-real-estate-sector

NUMBER OF WOMEN IN THE SAUDI WORKFORCE RISES BY A DRAMATIC 130%

main-shutterstock_653624284.jpg

A report released by the Ministry of Labor and Social Development in March of this year, shows a 130 percent increase over the last four years of the number of women working in the private sector, and women now represent 30 percent of the total private sector workforce.

The Saudi government has introduced several programs designed to empower women economically and to increase the presence of Saudi females in the workforce. The government’s goal under the National Transformation Program 2020 is to increase the percentage of women in the Saudi total workforce to 28 percent by 2020. These initiatives have included strong support for an increased female presence in the retail sector, and the development of and support for home based employment opportunities.

The greatest increase in Saudi female workforce presence has been seen in major cities such as Riyadh, Mecca, and Jeddah where cultural attitudes towards women working are less stringent and opportunities for employment and demand for labor are greater; however, the government is currently working on several initiatives to provide similar opportunities for women in rural areas, where cultural attitudes and transportation issues are an even greater impediment to women being able to enter the workforce.

BY ELIZABETH FIANO

http://www.abouther.com/node/3531/people/features/number-women-saudi-workforce-rises-dramatic-130

Extraordinary Eastern Women: Muna AbuSulayman

x452322.jpg.pagespeed.ic.HOLoqmdW-s.jpg

July 16, 2016 | 7:36 PM

By Shruthi Nair
Know all about the most influential Muslim in the world
#Extraordinary #EasternWomen: #MunaAbuSulayman

You have been named as one of the most influential Muslims in the world, which projects earned you this recognition?

There are a lot of reasons, but to name a few, I was running one of the largest foundations and the grants that we were giving affected a lot of people. We were very strategic in the way we gave money and we wanted to ensure there was long-term change. So there were a lot of endowments and sustainable income centres. We took on one of the biggest issues that we were facing back then (10 years ago), which was Islamophobia. We looked at ways of combating it by setting up Islamic centres in the best universities like Harvard, Georgetown, and Cambridge, to help the West overcome these fears. We also wanted to create some understanding of the US in the Middle East so people would know what they were dealing with. I was also the first person who wore Hijab on a non-religious TV show and that was a pioneering step.

How have your travels influenced your unique perspective on the world?

I’ve lived in the US, Middle East and Far East. Therefore I got to see how different people think about things and perceive the same things differently. Being exposed to different cultures at an early age allowed me to see things in a pluralistic way rather than going for the “my way or the high way” approach.

But of course, you need to adapt very quickly to different systems, different ways of expressions, and presentations to survive. Thus, I have become extremely flexible. So now, I can live anywhere.

You “wear many hats” as a philanthropist, entrepreneur, thought leader, and TV personality, but which title do you most identify with?

Most people know me from TV and therefore for them I’ll always be a TV personality. But I think of myself as a teacher — somebody who likes to help people achieve their potential and somebody who likes to give information. The way I used to do it was by teaching in the universities and creating educational programmes and now I am doing it through television by using my segments on the show to communicate ideas through media.

My career path may not be as contrasting as you might think. Like I said, I like to give people information and I do it in different ways and through different media. So it basically was different tools for the same mission.

You’ve influenced and inspired a lot of people in the region. Who has your inspiration been?

My father. He is an Islamic thinker. A Ph.D graduate in international relations, he is somebody who has devoted his life in trying to help the Uma (Muslim community) achieve a better place. He wrote the book Crisis of the Muslim Mind and other books that look at education and family and creating a way of life that is modern, Islamic, productive, progressive, and dignified.

Ms Anne, who was Helen Keller’s teacher, is another person who has influenced me. Ofcourse, Helen Keller is an exceptional woman who achieved great things inspite of being handicapped, however, her handicap would not have been overcome if it wasn’t for this one teacher who got through to her. And therefore, Ms Anne, the person who helped another to tap into themselves and overcome their obstacles will always remain the person who has resonated with me the most.

What is your motto in life?

I have a lot of mottos in life. They include “With every hardship comes ease,” “Take it easy,” and “Put your faith in God and do your best”.

What do you feel is the biggest problem currently being faced by the Middle East?

There are a lot of problems that are being faced by the Middle East. I think the biggest problem is that of education. We all know that the problem exists but no one is doing anything to fix it. Selecting better teachers, giving them good salaries, and respecting them would be a good place to start if we want to address the issue and solve them. Basically, getting the best to do the most important job should be the biggest priority.

Another major problem that we are facing is that we don’t question the things that are lacking in our system. Such as asking, what do we need to lead a dignified life? How can we ensure that people have employment or access to good and affordable health care, and can they meet the basic needs of their families without having to rely on the government or wasta or other forms of corruption. I also think that we have failed in creating reliable institutions.

How is the Middle East faring when it comes to entrepreneurship and digital media?

I think the Middle East is very entrepreneurial. There are a lot of people who have interesting ideas and are ready to do stuff. But we need a better system of helping them. And the digital age is changing that and making the environment favourable.

What have been the specific challenges you faced as an Arab woman?

There is a lack of respect. There is also the “token woman” concept. We are still lacking in giving women their Islamic rights of full citizenship. When it comes to divorce and inheritance, we know that the rules exist but we don’t enforce it. And even if it is enforced there is a stigma of shame attached when the woman asks for these rights. I do realise that Islamic systems look at male-female relations in a very different way. We look at sex within marriage, clean living, creating strong families, and strong value systems. But just because a woman is going to give birth, doesn’t mean that she should be penalised on all of her other decisions.

Another challenge women face especially while working in a mixed environment is that there is a social side that has to be more conservative. Since people are not used to seeing women reaching the very top, you need to suppress your other natural traits such as your fun or inquisitive side. You have to look at how you position yourself as an authority. So when people see me on TV or watch my interviews they think my life is just about work. However, I also do other things. I travel a lot. I spend time with my kids. I like visiting art galleries. So the challenge is how you create a balance between your human and social elements and your authoritative side.

Also, since women are seen as nurturers, sometimes people tend to abuse that. So people at work ask for days off and ask for a lot of considerations and women feel obliged to give in. I feel that there needs to be some formality between the boss (female) and the subordinates as unfortunately we haven’t reached that stage at work where people wouldn’t take advantage of your nature.

What advice would you like to give to Arab women who aspire to greatness?

You need to believe in yourself and understand what you want. If you just want to be famous, there are ways to do that, but that’s never been my interest. My interest lies in trying to find out how I can be the best version of myself.

You need to look at who you are as a person, as a Muslim, as a woman. You need to understand what are the values you hold and what you’re good at. And if you don’t know what that is yet, then try to discover it and work towards developing it. Also, it is very important for a woman to choose the right person to get married to. Earlier, it was all about creating a family, but now you need someone who understands your value system and somebody you can communicate with. In every area of your life, look for solutions and don’t look for problems. Everything has a solution, even if you don’t like it.

Follow Muna

facebook.com/Muna.Abusulayman.Page/

Instagram: @muna_abusulayman

Twitter: @MunaAbuSulayman

http://timesofoman.com/article/88066/HI/This-Weekend/Extraordinary-Eastern-Women:-Muna-AbuSulayman

Don't be so negative. It is a woman and that kick is better than what most women are capable of. Also have in mind that she is 40 years old.

Actually I'm not being negative, Im glad too see people enjoy more freedom and be happy. But if history has taught us anything, it is that U.S.A and the west in general dont like to see oil rich countries prosper. I dont think they will like an independent, more liberal SA. If this continues, are we going to see another Arab spring? Although I doubt it will happen anytime soon, maybe not even in our lifetime

Actually I'm not being negative, Im glad too see people enjoy more freedom and be happy. But if history has taught us anything, it is that U.S.A and the west in general dont like to see oil rich countries prosper. I dont think they will like an independent, more liberal SA. If this continues, are we going to see another Arab spring? Although I doubt it will happen anytime soon, maybe not even in our lifetime

What do you base that theory on? It has to be based on the "Iranian experience" which is far from synonymous to general US-Arab/Muslim relations.

I have to tell you that US (superpower or not) does not influence internal Saudi Arabian policies. If recent events in the past 2 years initiated by MBS (at least him being the front figure) are anything to go by, the US will be an important partner in the Saudi Vision 2030.

What do you base that theory on? It has to be based on the "Iranian experience" which is far from synonymous to general US-Arab/Muslim relations.

I have to tell you that US (superpower or not) does not influence internal Saudi Arabian policies. If recent events in the past 2 years initiated by MBS (at least him being the front figure) are anything to go by, the US will be an important partner in the Saudi Vision 2030.

I am basing it on the following events:

Forcing Reza Shah to abdicate; After Reza Shah modernised and made Iran less dependent, they forced him to abdicate.

The Iranian coup in 1953; After Prime minister Mossadegh attempted and were going to succeed in nationalizing our oil. They created a Coup in Iran (Operation Ajax)

Installing Mohammad Reza Shah (as a puppet) At least that was what they thought

Then he had to go.

Installing the Mullahs in Iran (as puppets) Again, thats what they thought, and to this day trying to overthrow them.

You say they are far from synonymous to general US-Arab/Muslim relations? Maybe thats because no Arab country has an independent economy, or even foreign policy. They are all (I know you will bash me for this) American puppet states.

Some of them tried to stand up to the bullies in the west. Like Saddam and Gaddafi, and we all know very well what happened to them.

I am basing it on the following events:

Forcing Reza Shah to abdicate; After Reza Shah modernised and made Iran less dependent, they forced him to abdicate.

The Iranian coup in 1953; After Prime minister Mossadegh attempted and were going to succeed in nationalizing our oil. They created a Coup in Iran (Operation Ajax)

Installing Mohammad Reza Shah (as a puppet) At least that was what they thought

Then he had to go.

Installing the Mullahs in Iran (as puppets) Again, thats what they thought, and to this day trying to overthrow them.

You say they are far from synonymous to general US-Arab/Muslim relations? Maybe thats because no Arab country has an independent economy. They are all (I know you will bash me for this) American puppet states.

Some of them tried to stand up to the bullies in the west. Like Saddam and Gaddafi, and we all know very well what happened to them.

You just confirmed what I wrote. Your worldview is based on the painful "Iranian experience". It is not really relevant for KSA/GCC.

No, they are not. They have their own internal policies and foreign policies and interests. However they are not as stupid as to openly challenge the global superpower or have deluded illusions of doing such a thing. You risk ending up as those people that you have mentioned or countries. KSA has a very pragmatic and clever foreign policy that has given the country and people a lot of benefits. KSA has cordial ties and close economic ties with both the West, East and everyone in between. China is for instance the largest trading partner. Cooperation in almost all fields occur with the West, East and everyone in between. I don't even recognize the moronic term "puppet" in the case of KSA. A country the size, population, economy, influence etc. of KSA cannot be a mindless "puppet". If that was the case we would be in a much worse position ages ago.

Anyway this is all off-topic and I rather this thread not be hijacked.

Should scientists be on @Snapchat? Meet groundbreaking #Saudi scientist@NoufAlnumair—who thinks so: http://www.arabnews.com/node/1148276/offbeat#photo/3 … | #SaudiWomen

Armed with a Ph.D. in bioinformatics and molecular genetics, this #Saudi scientist hopes to make a difference http://bit.ly/2wgeDaR

DHvRR_1XkAAtSFE.jpg

Should scientists be on social media? Meet the groundbreaking Saudi researcher who thinks so
Saffiya Ansari | Published — Monday 21 August 2017

975211-567007534.jpg

Meet Nouf Al-Numair, the groundbreaking Saudi scientist who believes more should be done to get young people involved in STEM. (Photos supplied)
975201-2058374564.jpg

Meet Nouf Al-Numair, the groundbreaking Saudi scientist who believes more should be done to get young people involved in STEM. (Photos supplied)
975196-27118749.jpg

DUBAI: Nouf Al-Numair, a jet-setting young scientist from Riyadh, is working tirelessly to encourage Saudi youths to take an interest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
She could be the perfect role model for those who wish to make a name for themselves in the field, especially considering her call for lab-bound scientists to get out there and show off their achievements on social media.
She obtained an MSc and a Ph.D. in bioinformatics and molecular genetics from University College London (UCL).
Despite still being in her early 30s, she now works as a bioinformatics and molecular genetics scientist at King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center.
She is also an assistant professor at the College of Medicine at Alfaisal University, and is engaged in volunteer work.
After pursuing her undergraduate studies in Saudi Arabia, Al-Numair headed to the UK. “After my internship at King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, I spent time rotating between different labs,” she told Arab News.
“It was then that I realized I wanted to explore how two different scientific fields — the pathology of molecular genetics and the technology of computer science — could merge. At the time of my placement, this approach wasn’t available at universities and hospitals in Saudi Arabia.”
But the fashionable scientist, with perfectly-coiffed hair and a chic abaya, insists the move was about so much more than just her academic dreams.
“Going abroad and studying there, living there and exposing myself to a different education… will enrich me as a person,” she said.
“Everyone can access knowledge — on the Internet, in books — but the experience itself… is one of the main reasons.”
Al-Numair is especially grateful to her family for supporting her desire to pursue her dream. “When a family sees potential, they should really take care of it and polish it to convert this interest into a real thing,” she said.
But young aspiring innovators who do not have family support should still follow their passions, as it is up to the individual to make it work, she added. “I wasn’t taught this dream or passion, I practiced it.”
Al-Numair is now one of the first Saudi scientists to major in molecular genetics and programing biological information, a precise science that enables practitioners to read the future of diseases before they come into existence through genetic mutation.
She uses more than seven programing languages to analyze human genes. She has published several papers and has spoken at multiple international conferences.
“Since I was young, I always thought of myself as a creator, an innovator. Even then, I wanted to be a pioneer of an interesting field,” she said.
In 2014, Al-Numair was honored by the Saudi ambassador to the UK in a ceremony celebrating outstanding students for their scientific achievements.
She decided to return to the Kingdom to pursue a career in STEM as “Saudi Arabia is my birth country. Who does not want to return home?”
In the Kingdom, she works tirelessly to encourage interest in the science and technology sector. “I’m a member of the MiSK youth community (the Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdul Aziz Foundation). MiSK focuses on the country’s youth and provides different means of fostering talent, creative potential and innovation that paves the way toward opportunities in the arts and sciences,” she said, calling on more young people — especially women — to take part.
“I hope that more Saudi and Arab women will join the field. This is why I’m participating in the #Championofscience campaign and developing videos with the British Council. We’re doing this because we believe it’s important to shed more light on stories of incredible women working in STEM, to inspire the next generation of girls to become leading scientists.”
British Councils across the Gulf are working to highlight Arab women working in STEM who are making a real difference in terms of research and innovation in their countries.
The council invited participants, including Al-Numair, to film a short video explaining why they chose to follow their dreams, in a bid to encourage young people to show an interest in STEM.
“Writing is good as you can express yourself, but a video, even if it’s only one minute… you’re speaking the language of the young generation, and with social media it’s crazy now,” Al-Numair said of the campaign.
“We as scientists should be out there more. We should use social media and put ourselves out there and express ourselves. Why not use Snapchat just to picture my daily stuff like the labs and students? This lets the young generation understand that it’s a joy, because sometimes they stereotype science as boring, but it’s really not. If you really love what you’re doing, you’ll enjoy it,” she said.
“I believe it’s time for the media to put these achievements in the spotlight, and for scientists to use the power of social media to reach larger audiences and inspire future generations.”

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1148276/offbeat

Meet Fatima – A 19-Year-Old Saudi Scientist Who Received Recognition from NASA | About Islam

Imagine NASA naming an asteroid after you. That's exactly what they did for 19 year old, Saudi scientist, Fatima.

Meet Fatima – a 19 Year Old Saudi Scientist That Has an Asteroid Named After Her by NASA
Fatima-bint-Abdel-Moneim-Al-Sheikh.png

http://mvslim.com/meet-fatima-a-19-...that-has-an-asteroid-named-after-her-by-nasa/

http://aboutislam.net/family-societ...ceived-recognition-nasa/#.WX9ZqoI1JlE.twitter

DFwdnpfXgAIGsM7.jpg

The Twitter profile of another talented and emerging Saudi Arabian female scientist:

https://twitter.com/SaudiScientist

Roha Moharrak is the first Saudi Arabian woman and youngest Arab to climb Mount Everest.

A very impressive achievement by a woman.

DHnduhNXsAEOc9o.jpg

DHnduhQW0AExg-n.jpg

1st Saudi Arabian woman to summit all 7 mountains.

Her Twitter profile:

https://twitter.com/RahaMoharrak

Dar al-Hannan Saudi Arabian school for girls in Jeddah in the 1960's. Before the added influence of the clergy.

DHQ9uXmVoAEhIIw.jpg

Video sent to me by my little sister of a cool Saudi Arabian female Youtuber.

Saudi Girls and Women are Actively on the Move
August 2017
Share on Facebook

Tweet on Twitter

Saudi Arabian girls are now participating in sports at school.

In July 2017, the Ministry of Education issued a decree for the 2017-2018 academic year allowing girls to take part in physical education classes, a legislative shift that underscores the government’s ongoing modernization of the Kingdom’s societal structure. Indeed, allowing physical education for all students is “a historic decree for all schools, public and private,” said Lina Almaeena, a member of the Saudi Consultative Assembly Shura Council.

A Vision in Action
Saudi’s Vision 2030 plan has been the leading force behind the implementation of new laws regarding women and physical activity.

According to the economic and social development plan, Saudi Arabia aims to reduce its dependence on oil, diversify its economy and enhance cultural and entertainment life in the Kingdom for citizens. As such, the government has outlined a roadmap to get 40 percent of the country’s population to exercise at least once per week. Under this premise—and as part of the Kingdom’s move toward expanding opportunities for women—the government recently approved female gym licensees previously operated under salon licenses.

Activating Women across the Kingdom
Specific cities within the Kingdom have implemented their own plans to get women involved in athletic activities. Jeddah United, the first female basketball team in Saudi Arabia, is encouraging women to become more active in their public lives. Additionally, Riyadh will host its first-ever women’s squash tournament—a major move for both the nation’s female population and the Kingdom’s expanding sports sector.

Saudi Arabia’s social inroads cross into the Kingdom’s workforce. Across the nation, women have actively entered the retail sector, as well as head up major Saudi-based entities, including the Saudi stock exchange, the Dammam Airport and the Saudi Shura Council.

Saudi is actively broadening the space for women among the society’s ongoing development. With more women partaking in sports and assuming leadership positions in businesses, the Kingdom is moving closer toward establishing a more inclusive and diversified society.

Read more at USA Today.

http://www.arabianow.org/saudi-girls-women-sports/

Lina Al Maeena: Saudi’s Female Champion for Women’s Sports Access
August 2017
Share on Facebook

Tweet on Twitter

Lina Al Maeena has advocated for women’s expanded access to Saudi Arabia’s athletic realm more than a decade.

On July 11, she reaped the fruits of her labor.

Saudi Arabia’s Education Ministry has announced that physical education classes in public schools will begin start being offered to women this fall. “It’s like your Title IX,” Al Maeena said, referring to the 1972 U.S. federal law prohibiting high schools and colleges across America from discriminating on the basis of gender in any activity, including sports.

Al Maeena’s determination traces to her childhood- with a passion that brimmed for sports and parents who encouraged the interest to develop. After finishing college in 2000, she married and welcomed her first child, triggering an episode of postpartum depression. It was just during this period that she realized “magical effect” of exercise. She felt determined to provide other women a similar outlet.

Saudi Women in the Kingdom’s Sports Sector—and Beyond
The Education ministry’s decision is one of many in the last few years that have supported the Kingdom’s Vision 2030 economic and social development plan. For example, in 2003, there was no licensing for female gyms or clubs and only a few private schools offered sports for girls. That’s why Al Maeena founded Jeddah United (JU), Saudi Arabia’s first private female basketball club. That was the start.

By 2012, Saudi Arabia sent its first-ever female athletes to the Summer Olympics. A year later, King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz appointed the first women to the country’s advisory parliament. These actions, among others, prompted a shift in where and how women participated in society.

It was within this backdrop that JU navigated evolving cultural challenges to building out a robust and competitive women’s basketball team.

In the year five years since—and using a data-backed grassroots strategy— Al Maeena has made it her mission to maximize awareness of the benefits between sports and physical health. More so, Al Maeena’s work has paved the road to inspire women to advocate for an expansion of their rights, and role among Saudi Arabian society. As Deborah Packwood, an international sports consultant who has worked with JU, said: “[Al Maeena] has pushed the envelope for girls and women in sports, health and exercise, while simultaneously staying within the parameters of Saudi society.”

Read more at Albilad Daily.

http://www.arabianow.org/lina-al-maeena-saudis-female-champion-womens-sports-access/

Saudi Women Looking Forward to Sports Curriculum and Lifestyle
August 2017
Share on Facebook

Tweet on Twitter

With the recent announcement by Minister of Education Ahmed Al Issa that Physical Education classes will be available to girls in schools across Saudi Arabia beginning next month, there has been a wave of excitement across the Kingdom about new and positive changes which help promote a healthier lifestyle, and a fitter way of living.

One of those women is Nelly Attar of Riyadh. A long time psychologist and life coach, she has recently transitioned to being a full time sports trainer to women who are looking to work out and improve their physical being.

Speaking to Arabia Now, Nelly said, “Sports has been the juice of my life. Becoming a trainer was never part of my plan, but it just happened naturally. And because we really haven’t had proper gyms and experts in this field up till now in Saudi Arabia, I saw a chance to get certified, and help others become fit too.” There is certainly a noticeable increase in awareness of sports becoming a key component to a healthy life, as women’s fitness centers are opening up across the Kingdom.

This is good news not just for the women and young girls who want to have a more active lifestyle in the area of sports, but it was also a key pillar of the road map for Saudi Vision 2030, which stated that improving access to sport for women and girls should be encouraged, as “Opportunities for the regular practice of sports have often been limited. This will change.”

One woman who’s been actively striving for change is Shura Council member Lina Almaeena, who’s spent 10 years trying to implement sports for girls in both public and private schools. She said recently, “I’m very happy with the issue of the decree and this is a historic day for all Saudi girls in the Kingdom.”

That is a sentiment also echoed by Nelly Attar who told Arabia Now, “When I heard that physical education was going to be allowed for girls, I felt that finally this is about time. It’s essential and it should be a given. I’m really happy its part of the curriculum and I’m so excited to see how sports will unfold in Saudi Arabia. I’m excited to see children moving more and not leading such a sedentary lifestyle. I hope this really encourages movement for the new generation.”

It’s certainly good news for the millions of women and young girls across the Kingdom who have always looked up to female athletes such as Sarah Attar who was one of two women from Saudi Arabia to compete in the 2012 Olympics for the very first time. But there are numerous another athletic role models too, including Joud Fahmy for judo, Lubna Al Omair for fencing, and Raha Moharrak, who climbed Mount Everest.

The recent announcement about physical education isn’t just a chance for women to become fit, but it’s also a chance for women to begin a new kind of profession. Nelly Attar has certainly seen the opportunity to diversify into a career in the field of fitness. She is the first certified Nike master trainer in Saudi Arabia, as well as being a spinning instructor, cross fit trainer and dance class instructor. But that’s not all. She did an online course in New York in holistic health management, which also addresses issues in maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and eating well. During her interview with Arabia Now, her energy was evident as she said, “I have had so many women come and ask me can I help to train them to be a trainer. I have also had so many emails for support and guidance in this filed. I see a market for this, and a big potential for women taking up jobs in sports.”

Training women to become physical education instructors will be done by the General Authority for Sports, the Education and Health ministries, and the Saudi National Olympic Committee.

Numerous studies have shown young girls who start physical education and sports early in their life, are subject to fewer chronic illnesses, stronger bones and a higher body esteem. Aside from the health accepts, the mental aspects of being fit and playing sports also had enormous benefits too. As women, they become better at organizing, setting priorities, budgeting their time and more involved with their communities as adults.

Nelly Attar couldn’t be a bigger cheerleader for the new health awareness and physical education initative. At the end of her interview with Arabia Now she said simply, “Women are more interested in sports than ever. I am seeing a big increase in running and my classes recently have been packed. There’s a lot of enthusiasm for sure.” It sounds like millions of women in Saudi Arabia have been waiting for this moment for equal access to the playing field too. Now thanks to Saudi Vision 2030, they have it.

http://www.arabianow.org/saudi-women-looking-forward-to-sports-curriculum-and-lifestyle/

@Kuwaiti Girl good news in order to combat obesity and unhealthy lifestyles.

Back
Top Bottom