What's new

The brutal reality of Tibet 2008

Why would people with higher IQ use an inferior language?

How does that matter? (Assuming of course, that Chinese do have higher average IQ)

What matters is the language itself, and not who uses it.

If I learn Chinese tomorrow, will that lower my IQ?

I'm saying that the Chinese government should not be "realeasing" any records, but allowing people to come for themselves and witness the proceedings without any interference or coercion.

Get my point?

If your point is to let liars such CNN lie, but not let other party counter the lie, I got it and thanks (for nothing)!

I don't know why you keep repeating Rediff, CNN and BBC like some talisman.

Any problem repeating a fact? Remember many of you love to repeat Tiananman incidents, Leap, etc. I don't have problem with that. Why you don't like this now?

Well thank you for admitting that the Chinese legal system has flaws.

You are welcome.

But, have I ever said anything that Chinese system is flawless?

I'd go one step further and say that the Chinese legal system is designed to protect the State, and not the people.

People form a state to make it protect the people. Are your people protected without state?

Yes, India has massive problems with corruption at lower levels. However, our legal principles are quite sound, thank you very much.

However, we are straying from the topic, which is the situation in Tibet (and perhaps China), and not the one in India.

Attacking the Indian legal system does not somehow prove that the Chinese one is flawless.

CPC is unique in many ways. It did a lot good thing and bad thing (some may call it collateral damage) in the past. Many its current policies are ridiculous, measurements are ineffective. However, it does have grass root connections. CPC bosses have a deep sense of crisis. It is reflected sometimes externally as lack of confidence. But that same sense of crisis pushes the bosses to work diligently.

Tiananmen incidence is an failed experimental of an interplay between government and ordinary people. The failure is accelerated by internal forces that wish to turn China into chaos so as to maximize their interest. As evidences are revealed, the student leaders themselves are no good: they wanted their interest only, not for the people. The incident will remain as a valuable lesson and will never be forgotten. -- my conclusion from interaction with the Chinese in China.

Indians love to make China democratic like India. But, according to the Chinese in China, they don't think they'd like to live as such. "Attacking" the Indian legal system does not mean to prove that the Chinese one is flawless, it is meant to prove that just by democratization, problem may not simply solved.

Did I ever say Chinese system is flawless? Any where and any time?

Hypothesis: if economy goes down, people will make more noise. That's for sure. If it goes realy bad, I'd like to guess a faction of the party may replace the other to rule: just as two-party monopoly in US; or perhaps with a re-election of the leaders within the party - and this is another possible model for democratization in China. Bottom line is that no body likes massive violence, including CPC.

Its a rather primitive thing to memorize a different "picture" for each word. It makes the language completely illogical and difficult to master.

Show your lack of knowledge in Chinese!

Similar languages were used in several ancient civilizations including the Indus Valley Civilization and the Harappan civilization, which were replaced by the modern languages which use a phonetic alphabet.

I have no problem with your praising your language. And I can now see why you bring in language off-topic stuff here.

There is a vast difference between giving people the choice to learn Chinese, and colonizing their lands and forcing them to learn Chinese, give up their culture completely and convert to Chinese culture.

And please, we know the "brilliant" record of the CPC in preserving Tibetan heritage. Let us no go there.

Here are the facts: Tibet has been brutally colonized by the Chinese Communist regime.
Don't make it worse by drawing up weak comparisons with how some Chinese are learning English by choice to get better jobs or whatever.

You can keep your picture.

I can keep mine: Tibet had long been a part of China, sometimes loosenly. Dalai Lama - the head of religion and state of Tibet had to be approved by the central government. Before 1950s, lamas could, at their will, brutally order skulls, bones, and skins from living serfs. The illiteracy was brutally 90%. STD was brutally widely spread. Humans were brutally treated worse than animals... In theocratic Tibet, serfs' only rights was to serve their brutal master according to their hierarchy - as they learnt from Indian caste system.

Well, maybe peeling off human skin alive is not brutality in your definition? if so please excuse me.

Had Dalai Lama done anything to, or even tried to, abolish those brutal system? Absolutely not. Because lamas are the beneficiaries of the brutality. Why should they bother?

As those beneficiaries lost their benefits from the brutality, it is not unreasonable for them to whine all over the place.

Lhasa's monks all but vanish in Chinese crackdown

Severe restrictions, including checkpoints and surveillance, imposed since wave of anti-government protests in March, exiles say

GEOFFREY YORK

From Monday's Globe and Mail

June 23, 2008 at 4:19 AM EDT

LHASA — The pilgrims returned to the Potala Palace yesterday, spinning their prayer wheels and prostrating themselves in front of the Dalai Lama's ancient palace on a mountaintop in Lhasa.

For two days, the Buddhist pilgrims had been pushed to the sidelines to make room for the Olympic torch relay in Lhasa. The traditional pilgrimage route at the Potala Palace was unceremoniously shut down, in one of many security measures by Chinese authorities, even though a month-long Buddhist festival has drawn thousands of pilgrims to the Tibetan capital.

But as the pilgrims returned, a mystery remained: Where are Lhasa's monks? A visit yesterday to the Sera monastery, the second-biggest Buddhist monastery in Tibet, found that its 550 monks had virtually disappeared from sight. Most buildings and outdoor areas at the monastery were nearly empty, and only about 10 monks could be seen.

Three days of travel around Lhasa - the first permitted visit by a Canadian journalist since the Tibetan uprising in March - found that the monks were almost entirely gone from the city streets, even in the historic quarter around the Jokhang temple, the holiest temple in Tibetan Buddhism.
Two Chinese paramilitary policemen stand guard in front of people shouting 'Good Luck Beijing, Cheerio China' slogans during the start of the Beijing Olypic torch relay in Lhasa, Tibet, China on June 21, 2008.
Enlarge Image

Two Chinese paramilitary policemen stand guard in front of people shouting 'Good Luck Beijing, Cheerio China' slogans during the start of the Beijing Olypic torch relay in Lhasa, Tibet, China on June 21, 2008. (TEH ENG KOON/AFP/Getty Images)
Videos
Nepal

Tibetan exiles, who have contacts in Lhasa, say the monks have been subjected to severe restrictions for most of the past three months, since the wave of anti-government protests that erupted in March.

"There are checkpoints and random checks of identification cards throughout Lhasa," said Tsering Shakya, a prominent Tibetan writer and professor at the University of British Columbia.

"There are police stationed at the exits of the monasteries, and they check the IDs and register them. It is deterring a lot of monks."

Lhasa residents are finding it difficult or impossible to phone the Sera monastery to reach relatives who are monks there, Mr. Shakya said. "It's a security measure. The monks were the most vocal in the protests, and they are the targets of the current campaign. They're under careful surveillance."

Lobsang Choepel, a 77-year-old monk who heads the government-controlled administration at the Sera monastery, denied there were any restrictions on the monks. "They can go downtown to do shopping and they can go to the market to buy vegetables," he said yesterday. But he didn't explain why so few monks were visible on the streets or in the monastery itself.

After giving brief answers to five questions from foreign journalists, the monk was hustled away by Chinese officials, who refused to permit further questions. They told the journalists to hurry to the next event on the government-sponsored visit. No other access to the monks was permitted, aside from a guided tour of the monastery's historical relics.

Sera monastery, whose monks helped lead the protests that began in Lhasa on March 10, has remained under tight security control since then. Several uniformed policemen were posted at the monastery's entrance yesterday, carrying radios.

China deployed a massive security operation in Lhasa on the weekend as it sent the Olympic flame on a two-hour dash through the city.

Invited guests were allowed into the opening and closing ceremonies, but most ordinary Tibetans were kept far away from the Olympic flame as it was carried on a shortened run through the Tibetan capital on Saturday morning.

Thousands of paramilitary police and regular police kept a close eye on the event, which passed without incident, despite government reports that Tibetan separatists were trying to sabotage it.

Much of the city, aside from the torch route, was almost deserted. Residents were told to stay inside their homes, unless they had a special pass allowing them to cheer for the torch. Hundreds of shops along the torch route were shuttered for the day. Tibetans who ventured outside were kept behind steel barriers on side streets.

A small group of foreign journalists, invited to attend the relay, were not permitted to see any of the nine-kilometre run, except the beginning and end. They had to pass through a barbed-wire checkpoint and other security checks before they were permitted to attend the opening ceremony.

At the end of the relay, the Olympic flame was greeted by a carefully choreographed display of ethnic dancing and rhythmic flag-waving from thousands of schoolchildren and other hand-picked spectators.

Chinese officials took advantage of the Olympic event to launch another verbal blast at the Dalai Lama, whom they blame for the unrest in Tibet.

"We will certainly be able to totally smash the splittist schemes of the Dalai Lama clique," Zhang Qingli, the hard-line boss of the Tibetan Communist Party, said in a speech to the crowd at the end of the torch relay. He spoke through an interpreter because he is not fluent in the Tibetan language.

His attack on the Dalai Lama was the latest sign that Beijing has no intention of negotiating seriously with the Tibetan spiritual leader, whose representatives held preliminary talks with Chinese officials last month. The second round of talks has been postponed at China's insistence.

Another senior Chinese official fired a fresh salvo at the Dalai Lama this weekend. "He has been hiding the truth from the Tibetan people," said Palma Trily, executive vice-chairman of the Tibetan regional government, at a press conference in Lhasa.

"His real aim is to turn Tibet back into a system of feudal serfdom. He has not brought any benefit to the Tibetan people in the past, nor will he bring them any benefit in the future."

Critics said the Chinese authorities had put Lhasa virtually under martial law. "With the way it has militarized the Tibetan capital, China might as well parade the Olympic torch through Lhasa atop a tank," said Han Shan, an activist with an exile group, Students for a Free Tibet.

Human-rights groups also were critical of the decision to parade the torch through the Tibetan capital. "This provocative decision - with the blessing of the International Olympic Committee - could aggravate tensions and undermine the fragile process to find a peaceful long-term solution for Tibet and the region," Sharon Hom, executive director of Human Rights in China, said in a statement.

"The government's insistence on parading the torch through Lhasa can only undermine the respect and trust required for a genuine dialogue process with the Dalai Lama."

globeandmail.com: Lhasa's monks all but vanish in Chinese crackdown

I don't know how much of this is real. Don't get me wrong, we cannot pass a judgement based on this report alone.

The reality mighte be different; however, I and the world will be very much inclined to believe this.

This is what happens when you censor the flow of information. Excesses go unchecked; people begin distrusting you (in this case the CCP).

If the reality is half way of what this report states, then it speaks volume for the super-structure-oriented-uber-nationalist-pseudo-development that the PRC is so proud of.

as a coin has two sides,so many time it is difficult for us to find the essece of a thing from a sole condition. still as this ,we can never get the reality from a documentary, but reality is reality, we have no right to commit or deny it. however, the key is wether the "reality"which you think is the fact or truth? clearly ,the right way is to go and look by yourself.
as a chinese, i do not believe the report of this documentary, we chinese people always think han and tibet are brothers, but it is necessary and right that chinese goverment should more open and give more message of tibet to the out world. if all world people can konw messages of tibet direrectly ,so there is no capability for slanders.

I don't know how much of this is real. Don't get me wrong, we cannot pass a judgement based on this report alone.

The reality mighte be different; however, I and the world will be very much inclined to believe this.

This is what happens when you censor the flow of information. Excesses go unchecked; people begin distrusting you (in this case the CCP).

If the reality is half way of what this report states, then it speaks volume for the super-structure-oriented-uber-nationalist-pseudo-development that the PRC is so proud of.

as a coin has two sides,so many time it is difficult for us to find the essece of a thing from a sole condition. still as this ,we can never get the reality from a documentary, but reality is reality, we have no right to commit or deny it. however, the key is wether the "reality"which you think is the fact or truth? clearly ,the right way is to go and look by yourself.
as a chinese, i do not believe the report of this documentary, we chinese people always think han and tibet are brothers, but it is necessary and right that chinese goverment should more open and give more message of tibet to the out world. if all world people can konw messages of tibet direrectly ,so there is no capability for slanders.

The intransigence of the CPC regime in dealing with the Dalai Lama, who had long ago given up his demand for an Independent Tibet belies their true intentions - to colonize Tibet and reshape their society so as to make in indistinguishable from the rest of China.

Group says China demolishes mosque for not supporting Olympics

Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:50am BST
Group says China demolishes mosque for not supporting Olympics | World | Reuters
BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese authorities in the restive far western region of Xinjiang have demolished a mosque for refusing to put up signs in support of this August's Beijing Olympics, an exiled group said on Monday.

The mosque was in Kalpin county near Aksu city in Xinjiang's rugged southwest, the World Uyghur Congress said.

The spokesman's office of the Xinjiang government said it had no immediate comment, while telephone calls to the county government went answered.

"China is forcing mosques in East Turkistan to publicise the Beijing Olympics to get the Uighur people to support the Games (but) this has been resisted by the Uighurs," World Uyghur Congress spokesman Dilxat Raxit said in an emailed statement.

Beijing says al Qaeda is working with militants in Xinjiang to use terror to establish an independent state called East Turkistan.

Oil-rich Xinjiang is home to 8 million Turkic-speaking Uighurs, many of whom resent the growing economic and cultural influence of the Han Chinese.

Dilxat Raxit added that the mosque, which had been renovated in 1998, was accused of illegally renovating the structure, carrying out illegal religious activities and illegally storing copies of the Muslim holy book the Koran.

"All the Korans in the mosque have been seized by the government and dozens of people detained," he said. "The detained Uighurs have been tortured."

The Olympic torch relay passed through Xinjiang last week under tight security, with all but carefully vetted residents banned from watching on the streets and tight controls over foreign media covering the event.

(Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Nick Macfie)

(For more stories visit our multimedia website "Road to Beijing" here; and see our blog at blogs.reuters.com/china )

© Thomson Reuters 2008. All rights reserved

6/19/2008 06:08 PM
THE TORCH IN THE WILD WEST

Faking the Olympic Spirit in China's Muslim Region

By Andreas Lorenz

The Olympic torch is in China's far West and security is tight. Still, there are some who came out to celebrate the event -- 200 invited guests and a handful of well-trained Uighar schoolchildren. Journalists were watched closely.

A gigantic statue of Mao waves to the people who have gathered in his shadow on Wednesday morning to celebrate the Olympic flame. But despite the size of the stone figure, there aren't many milling about on Kashgar's main square: Perhaps 200 invited guests -- 200 out of the region's 3.8 million residents. Ordinary citizens -- apart from groups of school children in festive costumes -- were not invited.

The children wave banners and flags and shout "Go China." On the stage, the city's ensemble performs Uighur folk dances to music so loud it risks awakening Mao in his glass coffin in Beijing, thousands of kilometers east of here.

Officials in white shirts give stilted speeches, until the last runner finally arrives, an older man with a traditional Uighur hat -- called a dopa -- on his head. Speaking into a microphone, he says it is a great honor to hold the Olympic torch in his hands. He then punches it into the air. It is a gesture the master of ceremonies practiced with him next to the grandstand beforehand.

The Olympic flame, which the government has declared sacred, has arrived in the far West, where it will spend three days on its long journey through China's provinces. Kashgar is one of the country's outposts; it used to be an important caravansary on the Silk Road with a British and a Russian consulate. Today it is known for its big Sunday market, where farmers still trade camels and horses.

In fact, the city is closer to Islamabad -- both culturally and geographically -- than to Beijing. Yet, just as the rest of China, it has undergone major changes in the last few years. Many of the old quarters with their mud houses and dark alleys have made way for broad streets and modern buildings.

Where once colorful market traders haggled near the famous Idkah Mosque, a sterile shopping center now stands. Donkey carts have become a rare sight in the city, whose residents weave around -- almost silently -- on battery-powered scooters.

In Kashgar the Han Chinese are a minority. In some quarters, they show their faces only very rarely. Some of them fear the Uighurs, with their European facial features and their women who hide their entire faces under brown cloth. Others pull their veils only over their noses. Most, however, only wear a headscarf.

'Be Disciplined and Obey the Law'

In Kashgar men wearing dopas make copper caldrons and tin boxes in their workshops, sell honey and watermelons, gossip in tea houses and pray in the numerous small mosques.

The voices of the muezzins, however, can hardly be heard in the street during the day, as the Chinese authorities have banned them from using loudspeakers. And anyone under 18 years is not allowed to worship Allah in one of the mosques.

Many older Uighars hardly understand Chinese. Yet, many young people also have no grasp of the official language. Written in Arabic and Chinese on a mud wall in an alleyway is: "Be a good citizen, be disciplined and obey the law."

"What I think of the torch relay?" a merchant in a teahouse asks. "Not much, as they are forcing all shops to close for two days. That means no revenue."

In fact, many traders in the city center had to pull down their shutters a day before the Olympic flame arrived in Kashgar, creating a leaden atmosphere in the usually bustling streets.

On the day of the torch run, only invited guests from selected "work units" and schools were allowed to cheer on the runners from the roadside. The homes around the Idkah Mosque and the people's square seemed deserted: No windows were open and no residents watched the spectacle from above. Meanwhile, soldiers, militia and police gathered in large numbers and hermetically sealed off the area around the mosque. They even stuck yellow tape over the storm drains.

The Chinese government is wary of its remote province, in particular of Kashgar. As in Tibet, Beijing sniffs a conspiracy in the autonomous Muslim region of Xinjiang -- not by the "traitorous Dalai Lama clique," but the Uighar separatists who are fighting for an independent East Turkistan.

Yet, how dangerous these groups are is unclear. Uighars in exile accuse Beijing of exaggerating the danger, to give it a reason to clamp down on religious groups.

The Chinese media, however, again and again reports attacks and conspiracies by Uighar terrorists. Recently staff of China Southern airline discovered a female passenger who tried to use gasoline to set a plane on fire. The government said it was a terrorist act, but so far it has failed to offer any proof of the real motives behind the attack.

'More Cheering'

The fear, though, is great, and it overshadows the Kashgar stage of the torch run. There is no sign of the festive atmosphere that attended the first stage of the torch relay in China, on the tropical island of Hainan. In Kashgar nobody seems happy, though the image on television later will no doubt be a different one.

Everything has been rehearsed: "More cheering," a regional television camera man tells a group of young people, who are not waving their Olympic flags enthusiastically enough for him.

Even here, far away from world public opinion, the Beijing Communist Party manages to instrumentalize the Olympic torch: to show a demonstration of unity between the party and the -- non-existing -- people, and a unified China.

"Write a beautiful chapter of harmony and progress -- paint a magnificent painting of scientific progress," the inscriptions of banners along the route read, "Welcome the Olympic Games with all your heart."

Tight Controls on Journalists

The few foreign journalists who have made the long journey into the desert are strangely referred to as "liberators" in their registration forms. Yet despite the moniker, they have not been liberated to watch the spectacle as they might have liked.

The authorities decided who was allowed to go to Kashgar. For "security reasons" they all have to stay at the shabby Qinibagh Hotel. Other hotels were instructed to turn away foreign journalists. Young helpers handed the journalists a comprehensive brochure, which mainly contains prohibitions and urges them "to show courtesy."

The authorities have forbidden journalists to watch the torch relay from the roadside. The foreign press are only allowed to be at the start and finish, where they are first carefully searched and then closely monitored by officials.

The Olympics in China's Wild West is no relaxed affair. Kashgar has been cowed and the Communist Party, with its security phobia, has the city totally in its grip. One wonders what the actual games in Beijing might look like. The answer comes blaring out of the loudspeakers under the Mao statue: "We are ready!"

URL:

* The Torch in the Wild West: Faking the Olympic Spirit in China's Muslim Region - International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News

XINJIANG: Imams and mosque education under state control

By Igor Rotar, Forum 18 News Service <http://www.forum18.org>

The imam of the central mosque in the town of Turpan, north east of China's Xinjiang region, admitted to Forum 18 News Service in early September that the Chinese authorities name all imams to local mosques. Imams also have to attend regular meetings of the national religious committees at their town administration, where they are told what they can do and are ordered to preach peace and condemn terrorism in their sermons. Local adult Muslims, mainly ethnic Uighurs, can learn about their faith only in certain mosques where the imam has gained special approval, while children are banned. "The authorities instruct us to tell parents that their children must complete their education before they can start to attend mosque," the imam reported, though Forum 18 observed
some children in Turpan's mosques at Friday prayers.
http://www.forum18.org/Archive.php?article_id=411&pdf=Y

It is interesting that a Mosque has been demolished for a frivolous reason and there is no outcry!

Compare it with Babri Mazjid and the burning of the train and riots!

Double standards?

China keeps Islam underfoot and that is OK.

XINJIANG: Imams and mosque education under state control

By Igor Rotar, Forum 18 News Service <http://www.forum18.org>

The imam of the central mosque in the town of Turpan, north east of China's Xinjiang region, admitted to Forum 18 News Service in early September that the Chinese authorities name all imams to local mosques. Imams also have to attend regular meetings of the national religious committees at their town administration, where they are told what they can do and are ordered to preach peace and condemn terrorism in their sermons. Local adult Muslims, mainly ethnic Uighurs, can learn about their faith only in certain mosques where the imam has gained special approval, while children are banned. "The authorities instruct us to tell parents that their children must complete their education before they can start to attend mosque," the imam reported, though Forum 18 observed
some children in Turpan's mosques at Friday prayers.
http://www.forum18.org/Archive.php?article_id=411&pdf=Y

Why American never talk about Northern Cyprus and Kurdistan problem? (Because Turkey is an alliance of USA! :coffee: :guns::usflag:

China arrests thousands of Tibetan monks ahead of Dalai Lama&#8217;s b&#8217;day
Posted July 7th, 2008 by Mohit Joshi

London, July 7: Fears over the possible occurrence of fresh unrests in Tibet on the occasion of the birthday of the Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, have prompted the Chinese authorities into virtually emptying out Tibet's main monasteries and banning visits to a sacred site on the edge of Tibetan capital Lhasa.

A report by the London-based The Times claims that in the wake of the crackdown, very few monks remain inside Tibet's three main monasteries -- Drepung, Sera and Ganden, that lie near the city -- and to make matters more complicated for the locals, the Chinese officials have deployed troops and paramilitary police around the ancient religious institutions, which have served as a focal point for anti-Chinese unrest since early March.

According to the paper, dozens, possibly several hundred, have been arrested or are detained and are under investigation for their roles in the anti-Chinese demonstrations and riots that took place in Lhasa on March 14.

This, however, does not account for the empty halls in the three great monasteries. Several hundred monks are believed to have been living in each of them before the violence erupted.

Tibetan sources have revealed to the paper that most of the monks, more than 1,000 in total, have been transferred to many prisons and detention centres in and near Golmud City in neighbouring Qinghai province.

Most of the detained monks are young ethnic Tibetans from surrounding regions who had made their way to Lhasa to study and pray in the most prestigious spiritual centres on the Roof of the World.

Their detention is part of a policy to rid the monasteries of any monks not registered as formal residents of the administrative region, known as the Tibetan Autonomous Region.

Family members say that the monks have been told that they will be incarcerated in Golmud only until the end of the Olympic Games in Beijing.

The policy is part of a campaign by the Chinese Government to ensure that the Games, opening on August 8 and lasting for two weeks, pass off without a hitch and without protests from the restive Tibetans, they told The Times.

"They will be ordered to return to their home villages and will not be permitted to go back to the monasteries in Lhasa," one of the relatives of an incarcerated monk was quoted, as saying.

Sera monastery is supposed to house no more than 400 monks but is believed to have grown to more than 1,000. In Drepung, the largest monastery in the world - has been allocated a similar quota but has allowed as many as 900 monks to live in its high-walled compounds, and this development has had Beijing worried enough to order a crackdown.

Registered monks are given a monthly stipend that can sometimes be as much as 5,000 yuan (350 pounds) depending on the donations to a monastery and entrance ticket sales. Many prefer to spend their days playing video games and DVDs rather than reading the scriptures, they said. They voiced concern that the monasteries could lose many of their best Buddhist scholars if the monks were not allowed to return after the Olympics. (ANI)

China arrests thousands of Tibetan monks ahead of Dalai Lama&#226;&#8364;&#8482;s b&#226;&#8364;&#8482;day | Top News

Smile,If you do not have been to China's Tibet, to conduct in-depth investigation.
Please do not say such things
No investigations have no right to speak on
It is undeniable that there are certain aspects of China, like other countries
BUT Many Western media's understanding of China are one-sided or distorted
Sometimes, we view the Internet in China on China's views, we think that's very ridiculous
Smile,If you just from some of the media to understand China, I can only say you are one-sided,too.

Back
Top Bottom