What's new

The Bay of Bengal Naval Arms Race

I think its in India's interest to ensure Myanmar and BD does not go to war for any reason. If they do, it will get outside players to meddle in SA affairs. BD and Myanmar dont have a territorial dispute now. Its only the Rohingya problem which we can expect things to cool down in a year or two.

It's called smart spenditure... they all have needs but if you go all mad in the shopping mall without looking at your budget... you might just end up broke.

Of course We have the twice amount of money than the Burmese have. But We chose to spend less ultimately supporting my previous statement. There is nothing to argue.

Of course We have the twice amount of money than the Burmese have. But We chose to spend less ultimately supporting my previous statement. There is nothing to argue.
Certainly but your first statement came off as... it's a burden that we are spending so much on military and we shouldn't be spending on it at all... hence why I started the argument

Yes that has been a long standing issue with us. Our military spending are seen an unnecessary by a high proportion of our people - the main reason being Bangladesh always maintaining a neutral stance in regional politics with no imminent threats. As a result, we have become much more laid back in this case.

If we had regular conflicts say with Myanmar or India, the sentiment would have been much different.

Well, the notions of "national threats" are generally triggered by the politicians and military brass which act as a unifying symbol especially in the multi-ethnic countries like India, Pakistan, Myanmar etc. Bangladesh, being a homogenous nation, never needed such notions to keep the country united, hence, no such sentiments exist here.

Obviously, there is no alternative to keeping up with the growing militarization of this region, especially under the changing geopolitical climate...

There is a saying in bengali; 'jole theke kumirer sathe jhogra korte nei'! Hope bangladesh learns quickly.

There is a saying in bengali; 'jole theke kumirer sathe jhogra korte nei'! Hope bangladesh learns quickly.
Learn this for your own good
অতি দর্পে হত লঙ্কা ! Go figure...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom