What's new

That 'tremendous' call between Trump and Pakistan's PM Nawaz Sharif, What might India say?

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
That 'tremendous' call between Trump and Pakistan's PM Nawaz Sharif
  • 1 hour ago
  • From the sectionAsia
_92630211_hi036531048.jpg
Image copyrightREUTERS
Image captionMr Trump has spoken to a number of world leaders since winning the election
Late on Wednesday afternoon US President-elect Donald Trump had a phone call with Pakistan's Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.

According to a Pakistani account of what should probably have been a procedural discussion, Mr Trump lavished extravagant praise upon Pakistan's prime minister and its people.

"You have a very good reputation. You are a terrific guy," it goes. In addition, Pakistan is "a fantastic country, fantastic place" with the most "intelligent" people and "your country is amazing with tremendous opportunities".

Not satisfied with that, the account, commonly known as read-outs, culminates with this flourish: "Please convey to the Pakistani people that they are amazing and all Pakistanis I have known are exceptional people, said Mr Donald Trump."

It is unclear to what extent these are direct quotes, but there was much bemusement both in mainstream and social media.

Then the US released its account of the call
Hours later, the Trump team released a statement which, if brief, emphasised the pleasantries generally found in these exchanges.

_92779973_c9d4b542-1838-409e-bf95-d40d4a21e655.jpg
Image copyrightAFP
Image captionNawaz Sharif invited the president-elect to visit Pakistan
Describing it as a "productive conversation", the two discussed how they would achieve "a strong working relationship in the future", the US-statement said.

"President-elect Trump also noted that he is looking forward to a lasting and strong personal relationship with Prime Minister Sharif."

But the effusive praise detailed by the Pakistanis did not go unnoticed.

What might India say?
Many pointed out that India may have something to say about the president-elect's apparent delight at the invitation to visit Pakistan - "a fantastic country, fantastic place, of fantastic people" - when no US president has been since 2006 and there is a delicate diplomatic tightrope to be negotiated.

_91962746_mediaitem91962745.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionMr Trump courted the Indian-American vote during campaigning
It it not yet clear if Delhi has any view at all. Following a number of cross-border attacks, relations between the neighbours are at their lowest point in years. And the tone of the exchange certainly contradicts a Trump view in 2011.

_92780391_ebac6e75-b3a3-4b52-ab7d-5efb6a570547.jpg
Image copyright@REALDONALDTRUMP
Image captionDonald Trump tweets: "Get it straight: Pakistan is not our friend..."
But while Mr Trump was criticised by some as naive for being fulsome in his praise of the leader of a country that has been accused of backing militants, many more just saw the funny side.

_92781566_mediaitem92781565.jpg
Image copyrightKUMAIL NANJIANI/TWITTER
Image captionOne of the stars of TV series Silicon Valley, where he plays a Pakistani character, had this to say...
The two did not apparently discuss Mr Trump's campaign promise to enact a "total and complete" shutdown of Muslims coming to America, later downgraded to "extreme vetting". The overwhelming majority of Pakistanis, including the prime minister, are Muslim.

For now, the two former businessmen stuck to warm words.

And just in case there was any doubt: "All Pakistanis I have known are exceptional people," was Mr Trump's view in the words of Pakistan.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-38165878

I like it how Trump and Sharif have all the cynics in a fix. They are all scratching their heads in disbelief. It is hard to believe for these people how things can take a U-turn in politics.

I'll say it again. Pakistan will be much better off with Trump as opposed to an Obama or a Hillary. This is a golden opportunity to reset the relationship and work out all the mishaps and misunderstandings. As a businessman to another. We can disagree on a million things, but we can agree on a million things. Pakistan should play it our smartly along with China. There is much to be gained here.

Last edited:
One good thing with Trump is, he is incapable of deceit and mind games. Not sure of what he is capable of as of now.

Politicians are no infallible . Their views and ideas can change like a normal person . .

However , I'm happy to read his views about pakistan.
I hope every American thinks same .

Oh maybe , he visited pakistan defence forum, and saw how we were disappointed with his nagative past ideas about pakistan.

Any american source claiming similar story?
Hours later, the Trump team released a statement which, if brief, emphasised the pleasantries generally found in these exchanges.
Describing it as a "productive conversation", the two discussed how they would achieve "a strong working relationship in the future", the US-statement said.

"President-elect Trump also noted that he is looking forward to a lasting and strong personal relationship with Prime Minister Sharif."

The above is from BBC & the below from CBS NEWS American ....
-----------------
By JULIA BOCCAGNO CBS NEWS November 30, 2016, 5:27 PM
Donald Trump calls Pakistan a "fantastic place of fantastic people"
ap-16314319459998.jpg

President-elect Donald Trump smiles as he arrives to speak at an election night rally in New York City early on November 9, 2016

EVAN VUCCI, AP
  • Email
Last Updated Nov 30, 2016 10:37 PM EST

Pakistan’s Press Information Bureau on Wednesday released a candid readout of a phone conversation that reportedly took place between President-elect Donald Trump and Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.

Play VIDEO
Trump responds to question from Muslim about his proposed 'Muslim ban'

Typically, readouts are mundane summaries of what was discussed between world leaders. What was striking about Wednesday’s readout, however, was Mr. Trump’s extravagant praise of Pakistan, its people, and culture.

Here’s the text:

“Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif called President-elect USA Donald Trump and felicitated him on his victory. President Trump said Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif you have a very good reputation. You are a terrific guy. You are doing amazing work which is visible in every way. I am looking forward to see you soon. As I am talking to you Prime Minister, I feel I am talking to a person I have known for long. Your country is amazing with tremendous opportunities. Pakistanis are one of the most intelligent people. I am ready and willing to play any role that you want me to play to address and find solutions to the outstanding problems. It will be an honor and I will personally do it. Feel free to call me any time even before 20th January that is before I assume my office.

On being invited to visit Pakistan by the Prime Minister, Mr. Trump said that he would love to come to a fantastic country, fantastic place of fantastic people. Please convey to the Pakistani people that they are amazing and all Pakistanis I have known are exceptional people, said Mr. Donald Trump.”

The characterization of the conversation seems consistent with Mr. Trump’s style of rhetoric, though the Trump transition team did not initially offer a similar readout. Late Wednesday evening, the transition team released its more staid version, below:

“President-elect Trump and the Prime Minister of Pakistan Muhammad Nawaz Sharif spoke today and had a productive conversation about how the United States and Pakistan will have a strong working relationship in the future. President-elect Trump also noted that he is looking forward to a lasting and strong personal relationship with Prime Minister Sharif.”

During his campaign, the president-elect proposed a Muslim entry ban at one point, which he later modified into a proposal calling for the extreme vetting of Muslims. He has also criticized President Obama and Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton for not using the phrase “radical Islamic terrorism” (Clinton has used it, though not as frequently as Mr. Trump has).

Pakistan is, according to the CIA, a country of 200 million people, 96 percent of whom are Muslim.

And in 2012, Mr. Trump’s tweets about Pakistan specifically had a different tone entirely.

“Get it straight: Pakistan is not our friend,” he tweeted. “We’ve given them billions and billions of dollars, and what did we get? Betrayal and disrespect — and much worse. #TimeToGetTough

CBS News’ Steve Chaggaris and Donald Judd contributed to this report.

© 2016 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-calls-pakistan-a-fantastic-place-of-fantastic-people/

Last edited:
One good thing with Trump is, he is incapable of deceit and mind games. Not sure of what he is capable of as of now.

is this sarcasm? his whole campaign was based on deceit and mind games :lol:

Basically American establishment knows that Pakistan is getting out of their zones and its welcomed into Russian and China zones ..

Mark my words , All powers of the world eventually like to have Pakistan on their side... that is the truth...enjoy it

That 'tremendous' call between Trump and Pakistan's PM Nawaz Sharif
  • 1 hour ago
  • From the sectionAsia
_92630211_hi036531048.jpg
Image copyrightREUTERS
Image captionMr Trump has spoken to a number of world leaders since winning the election
Late on Wednesday afternoon US President-elect Donald Trump had a phone call with Pakistan's Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.

According to a Pakistani account of what should probably have been a procedural discussion, Mr Trump lavished extravagant praise upon Pakistan's prime minister and its people.

"You have a very good reputation. You are a terrific guy," it goes. In addition, Pakistan is "a fantastic country, fantastic place" with the most "intelligent" people and "your country is amazing with tremendous opportunities".

Not satisfied with that, the account, commonly known as read-outs, culminates with this flourish: "Please convey to the Pakistani people that they are amazing and all Pakistanis I have known are exceptional people, said Mr Donald Trump."

It is unclear to what extent these are direct quotes, but there was much bemusement both in mainstream and social media.

_92779973_c9d4b542-1838-409e-bf95-d40d4a21e655.jpg
Image copyrightAFP
Image captionNawaz Sharif invited the president-elect to visit Pakistan

What might India say?
Many pointed out that India may have something to say about the president-elect's apparent delight at the invitation to visit Pakistan - "a fantastic country, fantastic place, of fantastic people" - when no US president has been since 2006 and there is a delicate diplomatic tightrope to be negotiated.

_91962746_mediaitem91962745.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionMr Trump courted the Indian-American vote during campaigning
It it not yet clear if Delhi has any view at all. Following a number of cross-border attacks, relations between the neighbours are at their lowest point in years. And the tone of the exchange certainly contradicts a Trump view in 2011.

_92780391_ebac6e75-b3a3-4b52-ab7d-5efb6a570547.jpg
Image copyright@REALDONALDTRUMP
Image captionDonald Trump tweets: "Get it straight: Pakistan is not our friend..."
But while Mr Trump was criticised by some as naive for being fulsome in his praise of the leader of a country that has been accused of backing militants, many more just saw the funny side.

_92781566_mediaitem92781565.jpg
Image copyrightKUMAIL NANJIANI/TWITTER
Image captionOne of the stars of TV series Silicon Valley, where he plays a Pakistani character, had this to say...
The two did not apparently discuss Mr Trump's campaign promise to enact a "total and complete" shutdown of Muslims coming to America, later downgraded to "extreme vetting". The overwhelming majority of Pakistanis, including the prime minister, are Muslim.

For now, the two former businessmen stuck to warm words.

And just in case there was any doubt: "All Pakistanis I have known are exceptional people," was Mr Trump's view in the words of Pakistan.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-38165878

Sharif will visit US for sure with a bag of mangoes now.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom