What's new

Thar coal - too little, too late

It only makes sense for developed countries like germany and USA who will still use coal to till 2060

Hypocrisy of west
Even today most common source of energy production in west is coal and lignite in germany some of which is poorer then thar

Not saying coal is good just saying we dont have any option

Sure if we hit major gas then we should skip coal
Lastly local coal even if it is expensive then imported will be prefeesble given the jobs it provide

Also thar is in middle of a desert ecological concerns are there but far less then in many parts of thr world
Proponet of solar forget that we need baseload

Solar cant replace that

Anyway solar isnt at 2 cents in pakistan it is still at 5cents vs thar coal at 6-8cents
You cannot really skip anything.

You need gas power today already to provide robust load following no matter how it cost if you don't want more blackouts like one last week.

And you will still need coal to provide base capacity cheaply.

A more or less correct formula seem to be already there. More plans to build large coal power stations in Thar, and HV lines from there, to the rest of the country, where they are backed by gas powered load following.

Last edited:
You cannot really skip anything.

You need gas power today already to provide robust load following no matter how it cost if you don't want more blackouts like one last week.

And you will still need coal to provide base capacity cheaply.

A more or less correct formula seem to be already there. More plans to build large coal power stations in Thar, and HV lines from the, to the rest of the country, where they are backed by gas powered load following.
Western countries should stop coal yesterday and use natural gas in interim while switching to nuclear and renewables

Eastern poorer countries should transition to this formula slowly

What i am trying to say that western countries who burnt coal for 200 years need to stop now

With respect to global warming solution is nuclear renewable combo or renewable-hydrogen(produced via renewable) combo

Its not economical but west should be able to afford it

Don't be so naive. No one ever made money by liquefy coal when oil is 50 dollars per barrel. Not even possible profitable even under $ 70-80 per barrel.

Liquefy coal is very complex and huge investment, as well as huge amount of water. For every ton of liquefied coal, you need 7-8 tons of water at least.
A surprise few people know about CTL is that you need an input crude oil, or tar to produce lighter fuel from it.

At best, it's a way to get more liquid fuels from a given amount of oil.

A two-stage GTL doesn't need extra input hydrocarbons, but the hydrogen has to come from somewhere, and here it comes from a lot of very, very hot steam, and correspondingly that hot steam also needs energy to produce. Thermodynamics is a harsh mistress.

Last edited:
International LNG, gas and Oil prices are highly manipulated. In fact LNG prices have already jumped up making it unaffordable for many developing countries. And that is why I am astonished at how dumb Pakistan's leader are, and why they refuse to use local energy resources such as coal.

Hate to see coal being used in Pakistan now. It will negatively impact our environment that is already under threat. I feel like Chinese are dumping their coal plants in Pakistan and did most of it under the leadership of Nawaz.

Exactly. But don't mention that or the Iron Brothers will come lynch you.

Exactly. But don't mention that or the Iron Brothers will come lynch you.

It's good that I have educate him and rest on the matter of iron brother helping Pakistan unlike the evil imperial USA. :enjoy:

All Nations are evil. Including China. Don't act like angels when your Mao tops the list in the amount of civilians killed ever in world history.

View attachment 708499

And this is just under Mao....God knows how many have been killed in the past 100 years by Han Chinese. :rolleyes:
@WebMaster @waz

Do u think this post is relevant? Some moderator delete my post against him while spare his? Please play fair. Thank you.

@WebMaster @waz

Do u think this post is relevant? Some moderator delete my post against him while spare his? Please play fair. Thank you.

You quoted me on this thread first. You wanted to "educate" others but hadn't even finished your own education. Let this be known that you initiated and I responded in kind. :D

Next time, if you can't handle me, it's best for you to keep your hands away from the keyboard and not reply to me. :devil:

Supply of Thar coal to industry: Tax amendments on the cards

Mushtaq Ghumman
April 17, 2023

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Office (PMO) has directed Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) to alter/ amend Income Tax Ordinance in the next budget, aimed to start supply of Thar coal to local industry, well informed sources told Business Recorder.

These directions were issued at a meeting held in the PM’s Office to resolve issues of Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company (SECMC) under the chair of Mohammad Jehanzeb Khan, SAPM on Effective Governance.

National Transmission and Dispatch Company (NTDC) highlighted that progress on transmission lines is on track and already attained 77 percent completion. It highlighted the issue of Right of Way in Tando Allahyar district of Sindh.

NTDC officials maintained that if the issue of Right of Way is not resolved it may delay the whole project.

Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) apprised that SECMC may not provide excess coal to the industry owing to provision in the Income Tax Ordinance (Section 65) wherein it is stipulated that the said credit shall only be availed if the coal is supplied exclusively for power generation. Representative of FBR observed that the existing provision is restrictive and can be reviewed to harness the potential of Thar coal.

Secretary Railways noted that CDWP, in its meeting held on December 22, 2022 proposed cost sharing of “Thar Coal Rail Connectivity” on 50-50 basis between Federal Government and Government of Sindh. Since then, coal demand has been firmed up but Government of Sindh seems to be more interested in revenue sharing model instead of provision of loan.

After detailed discussion on the issues and considering viewpoints of all the participants, the meeting decided that NTDC will complete 100 per cent work on transmission line by the end of April 2023. NTDC will also submit weekly report to Prime Minister Office.

The meeting decided that strategic roadmap team of power sector will add milestones to the PM’s stocktaking and regular monitoring.

The meeting also decided that Chief Secretary Sindh will resolve issue of Right of Way faced by NTDC in district Tando Allahyar on priority.

FBR is to consider suitable amendments in Section 65(F) of the ITO in the next Finance Bill so that local industry may reap benefits of Thar coal.

State Bank of Pakistan in coordination with commercial banks was tasked to resolve the issue of pending LCs of SECMC’s import of coal-related machinery.

Secretary Planning is to convene a meeting on rail connectivity of Thar coal in line with the firmed up demand and develop financing modalities of Thar coal rail connectivity project of Pakistan Railways in line with decision of CDWP of December 22, 2022 wherein it was decided to share cost between Federal Government and Government of Sindh on 50:50 basis.

germans use poor quality coal to power teir power stations i dont see them coming under scrutiny by environmentalist wankers. we should say fcuk you you used coal to develop so are we.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom