What's new

Thailand orders Type 071E landing platform dock from China

ZY-CN-CA

Reaction score
Country
China
The Royal Thai Navy has ordered a Type 071E landing platform dock (LPD) ship in what became China’s first export contract for a ship of this class.

A signing ceremony for an export version of the Chinese PLA Navy Type 071 was held in China on September 9.

The ship will be built by China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation (CSIC) but details about the ship’s construction and delivery schedule were not provided.

The Type 071E is an export version of the Type 071 (Yuzhao)-class LPDs operated by the People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN), of which six are in service while a further two were launched between December 2018 and June 2019.

The Type 071 has an overall length of 210 m, an overall beam of 28 m, and has a standard displacement of about 20,000 tonnes.
3c1b-iekuaqt7329500.jpg

I am very happy that Thailand has purchased Chinese weapons. May I ask: Is there a military threat in Thailand? Why buy such a big ship?

This brings back memories of them getting a mini aircraft carrier from Spain, whose main use was taking the King on pleasure excursions on the Gulf of Thailand. I wonder if they still have it...

BTW this is not meant to be a slight to Thai Navy or Thai people themselves.

The 071 class is easily the most gorgeous looking design in the Chinese Naval arsenal today. Here is an image of the 'ChangBaiShan'.

PLANS_Changbaishan_%28LSD-989%29_20150130%282%29.jpg

Thailand has a long coast and some island. LDP can help RTN to project certain power overseas and support blue water mission.

Back
Top Bottom