What's new

Tet 2017 - Year of the Rooster

the red packets with the Chinese character "福" (Fu, means fortune), and also the 福-labeled picture on the wall. Looks identical to a common Chinese household. Love it!

And if you put the "phúc" character up side down, or "phúc đảo", it would be similar to "phúc đáo", which means fortune will arrive.

Although the words are Sino vietnamese but ithey are easy to understand by any Vietnamese.

In my home, there is a Phúc character in Chữ Hán, which is made upside down by Thần Châu Ngọc Việt.

And if you put the "phúc" character up side down, or "phúc đảo", it would be similar to "phúc đáo", which means fortune will arrive.

Although the words are Sino vietnamese but ithey are easy to understand by any Vietnamese.

In my home, there is a Phúc character in Chữ Hán, which is made upside down by Thần Châu Ngọc Việt.

whatever fu or phuc are meaningless, they are just the phonetic alphabet. 福 speaks everything for us.

There are types of calligraphys.
35D58PICkXt_1024.jpg
48df6bcfbf7b5fc666e8d82154bc577a.jpg
652543_20170102195659599060_1.jpg
9893480_140400407186_2.jpg
16044813-239e7117a1cfb9df757a7b0c299ec542-2.jpg
20170118110748248.png
d01f454a86597bd.jpg
6362050084546353201271609.jpeg

I'm confused, have vietnam always used alphabet?

No. Viet alphabet as we know it today just became national characters since about 100 years, during the French colonial period. Classical Chinese had been the official language of Vietnam for almost of our history. Theoretically Vietnam could return to classical Chinese character and language at any time, but because our relationship to China is one of the worst in the world, so that door is closed.

I can´t deny there are some similarities.

"Tet", just like the Korean "Seolnal", is derived from Chinese New Year and the Chinese calender, that's why.

It's hard to see the different between Chinese and Vietnamese. Even their culture has similarity in it.

No, it is easy. Vietnamese look more Southeast Asian / Indochine, on average. Many Northern Vietnamese resemble Southern Chinese though. They are generally shorter and skinnier than Chinese people. I believe the pictures in this thread are showing Hanoi / Northern Vietnamese, who may resemble Southern Chinese at first glance.

There is not much difference in China and Vietnam. Except French colonial influence in Vietnam. Without France, I think Vietnam would still be a part of China.

Yes there is a difference. China is a temperate country with four distinct seasons; in contrast most of Vietnam is tropical. Vietnamese is a Mon-Khmer language; Chinese is a Sino-Tibetan language. Vietnamese use exotic ingredients like lemongrass, basil, tamarind, Birds eye chilli, limes etc in their cooking, similar to Thai, Lao and Khmer. These ingredients are absent in Chinese cuisine.

Genetically, Vietnamese cluster with ethnic groups like Dai, and not Han Chinese.
Vietnamese elderly do not practice martial arts like Taiji in their parks. Chinese elderly do. There is no ancient Vietnamese martial arts, unlike China which has many. Any form of Vietnamese martial arts is new and created recently. Vietnamese also do not play Weiqi (Go / Baduk) unlike China. Vietnamese do not have a traditional garden or goldfish culture on the same level as China. Traditional Chinese buildings have dougong (斗拱), most traditional Vietnamese buildings do not.

I don't know why people keep insisting Vietnamese and Chinese are the same. They are different. Climatologically, linguistically, geopolitically, genetically, culinarily different. The timezone for Vietnam is UTC +7 same as the rest of Indochine (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia); whereas China is UTC +8 (different from Indochine).

As for New Years, the way in which they are celebrated are different. Vietnamese make these wrapped sticky rice parcels things in banana leaves, I am not sure what they are called. Chinese culture, being non-tropical, does not have this banana leaf food item. Instead we celebrate with jiaozi, tangyuan, mantou with jujube, noodles, fish etc

No. Viet alphabet as we know it today just became national characters since about 100 years, during the French colonial period. Classical Chinese had been the official language of Vietnam for almost of our history. Theoretically Vietnam could return to classical Chinese character and language at any time, but because our relationship to China is one of the worst in the world, so that door is closed.

Well Classical Chinese and Chinese characters in general i.e. Hanzi, belongs to China and the Chinese people. It is not your indigenous script.

Last edited:
Is there a way to find out the animal for previous years? Like 1995, 2000, 1980 etc?
It's explained here:
http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/chinese-zodiac/

As for New Years, the way in which they are celebrated are different. Vietnamese make these wrapped sticky rice parcels things in banana leaves, I am not sure what they are called. Chinese culture, being non-tropical, does not have this banana leaf food item. Instead we celebrate with jiaozi, tangyuan, mantou with jujube, noodles, fish etc
Zongzi (粽子), or simply zong (粽), is a traditional Chinese food, made of glutinous rice stuffed with different fillings and wrapped in bamboo, reed, or other large flat leaves. They are cooked by steaming or boiling. In the Western world, they are also known as rice dumplings, or sticky rice dumplings.

Vietnamese sticky rice cakes, a must in Tet tradition is called banh chung. Vietnamese banh chung is a cousin to Chinese zongzi (joong in Cantonese; cung in Hakka) in that they are made of sticky rice, pork and mung beans and wrapped leaves. In Vietnam, they’re wrapped in green leaves called la dong.

Aha! The Chinese people has this special Chinese New Year's cake or Nian Gao 粘糕, it is a cake prepared from glutinous rice and consumed in celebrating New Year.

Thus, Banh Chung is the Vietnamese style, equals to Chinese New Year's cake or Nian Gao 粘糕; while Bánh ú tro or Bánh tro equals to Zongzi 粽子 :-)

Chinese_new_year_sticky_rice_cakes.jpg

Chinese New Year's cake or Nian Gao 粘糕

800px-Zongzi.jpg

Zongzi 粽子 or stuffed glutinous rice

As it diffused to other regions of Asia over many centuries, zongzi has become known by various names in different languages and cultures. Pya Htote in Burmese-speaking areas (such as Myanmar), Nom Chang in Cambodia, and Bachang or Khanom Chang in Laos and Thailand. Vietnamese cuisine has also copied this dish as Bánh ú tro or Bánh tro.

In Singapore, Indonesia, and Malaysia, zongzi is known as bakcang, bacang, or zang (from Hokkien Chinese: 肉粽 bah-chàng), as Hokkien is commonly used among overseas Chinese. Similarly, zongzi is more popularly known as machang among Chinese Filipinos in the Philippines. (Wiki and other sources)

the red packets with the Chinese character "福" (Fu, means fortune), and also the 福-labeled picture on the wall. Looks identical to a common Chinese household. Love it!
I have question in my mind: are all or most of these Tet celebration traditions applicable to ALL Vietnamese in general or some traditions (for example hongbao 红包 or red envelope) are simply limited to the Vietnamese of Chinese descent?
@Viet

Last edited:
^ Well, for Chinese New Year, Chinese do not traditionally eat zongzi. Zongzi is associated with Duanwu Festival (端午節; Dragon Boat Festival), rather than Chinese New Year. Vietnamese eat a banana leaf wrapped sticky rice for their version of New Year, which Chinese do not do.

Chinese often use bamboo or reed leaf for wrapping zongzi. Vietnam version of niangao is also wrapped in tropical banana leaf, which Chinese do not do

Last edited:
It's explained here:
http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/chinese-zodiac/

Zongzi (粽子), or simply zong (粽), is a traditional Chinese food, made of glutinous rice stuffed with different fillings and wrapped in bamboo, reed, or other large flat leaves. They are cooked by steaming or boiling. In the Western world, they are also known as rice dumplings, or sticky rice dumplings.

Vietnamese sticky rice cakes, a must in Tet tradition is called banh chung. Vietnamese banh chung is a cousin to Chinese zongzi (joong in Cantonese; cung in Hakka) in that they are made of sticky rice, pork and mung beans and wrapped leaves. In Vietnam, they’re wrapped in green leaves called la dong.

Aha! The Chinese people has this special Chinese New Year's cake or Nian Gao 粘糕, it is a cake prepared from glutinous rice and consumed in celebrating New Year.

Thus, Banh Chung is the Vietnamese style, equals to Chinese New Year's cake or Nian Gao 粘糕; while Bánh ú tro or Bánh tro equals to Zongzi 粽子 :-)

Chinese_new_year_sticky_rice_cakes.jpg

Chinese New Year's cake or Nian Gao 粘糕

800px-Zongzi.jpg

Zongzi 粽子 or stuffed glutinous rice

As it diffused to other regions of Asia over many centuries, zongzi has become known by various names in different languages and cultures. Pya Htote in Burmese-speaking areas (such as Myanmar), Nom Chang in Cambodia, and Bachang or Khanom Chang in Laos and Thailand. Vietnamese cuisine has also copied this dish as Bánh ú tro or Bánh tro.

In Singapore, Indonesia, and Malaysia, zongzi is known as bakcang, bacang, or zang (from Hokkien Chinese: 肉粽 bah-chàng), as Hokkien is commonly used among overseas Chinese. Similarly, zongzi is more popularly known as machang among Chinese Filipinos in the Philippines. (Wiki and other sources)

I have question in my mind: are all or most of these Tet celebration traditions applicable to ALL Vietnamese in general or some traditions (for example hongbao 红包 or red envelope) are simply limited to the Vietnamese of Chinese descent?
@Viet
to answer your last question: yes, Tet is celebrated by every Vietnamese, well, execept some khmer folks living in Vietnam. yes, you are right. it is called Bánh chưng. a dish cooked for hours that is only made and eaten during Tet. made of glutinous rice, mung beans, pork and other ingredients.
Goi_banh_chung.jpg

1280px-Nguyen_lieu_banh_chung.jpg

1280px-Banh_tay.jpg

cach-goi-banh-chung-xanh-tu-nhien-1-phunutoday_vn.jpg

raw banh chung cakes are put into a big pot filled with water and cooked over open wood fire for some 8 hours overnight.
2023vanthuong.jpg

You're Chinese what do you even know about Vietnamese. You are teaching him the wrong thing.

I do not want to waste my time with a race traitor with deep inferior complex like you Enjoy your time in dying West.

My last advice to you: be a man and pride of yourselves and the culture of your motherland.

Last edited:
to answer your last question: yes, Tet is celebrated by every Vietnamese, well, execept some khmer folks living in Vietnam. yes, you are right. it is called Bánh chưng. a dish cooked for hours that is only made and eaten during Tet. made of glutinous rice, mung beans, pork and other ingredients.
Goi_banh_chung.jpg

1280px-Nguyen_lieu_banh_chung.jpg

1280px-Banh_tay.jpg

cach-goi-banh-chung-xanh-tu-nhien-1-phunutoday_vn.jpg
Thanks for explaining.

I do not want to waste my time with a race traitor with deep inferior complex like you Enjoy your time in dying West.

My last advice to you: be a man and pride of yourselves and the culture of your motherland.

Hey hey, calm down man. I was just kidding. Wow!
LOL!! I am a man, thanks. There are different type of Vietnamese. I'm just not like you. Simple. I educated myself. I don't know about you. I'm Pro-Democracy and Anti-Communism. Any kind of Communism. If you don't like Democracy, then don't stay in South Korea. Simple bro. You're a hypocrite!

I do love Vietnam. Just not the corrupted VCP officials. They are a bunch of lying scums. VCP lied to investors, take people's land, abuse innocent people and lie to ppl. Sooner or later, people will rise up and fight back. When that happen, Vietnam's economy will accelerate even faster and better for everyone.

My suggestion to you is to think for yourself and know who you are. Not following what the Chinese tell you. They are destroying Vietnam. So don't give me your brainwashed advice. Thanks.

No. Vietnam started using alphabets about 130 years ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom