What's new

Tesla ends Camry’s 28-year best-selling run [in Australia], and even drew reaction from Toyota

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States

Tesla Model 3 has ended the Toyota Camry’s 28-year run as the best-selling car in Australia and even drew a small reaction from Toyota.

For the last 28 years, the Camry has been the best-selling mid-size car in Australia.

It was on a path to make it 29 years, but Tesla delivered 1,806 Model 3 vehicles in December, bringing the total to 10,877 Model 3s in 2022 and beating the Camry, which had 9,538 units delivered last year.

It made the Tesla Model 3 the new best-selling mid-size car in Australia. It’s the first time that an electric car has held that title.

The change appears to have taken Toyota by surprise since the automaker still listed the Camry as a best-selling medium car in the country in its press release bragging about its dominance over the Australian auto market, but it had to add a mention of vehicles for less than $60,000:

Toyota vehicles were the best-selling models in nine market segments last year: Corolla (small cars), Camry (medium cars <$60K), RAV4 (medium SUVs), LandCruiser Prado (large SUVs), LandCruiser wagon (upper large SUVs), HiAce (light buses), HiAce (vans), HiLux (4×2 PU/CC) and HiLux (4×4 PU/CC).
The Model 3 starts at $64,000 in Australia compared to $30,000 for the Camry.

Last edited:
That's true..but they still come out higher than Chinese cars which are far shittier.
Are you saying the best build quality Tesla is only 0.1 better than a budget brand like Geely? Thanks for the vote of confidence in Chinese EVs.

Oh wait, it's build in Shanghai too? Thanks for another vote of confidence in Chinese manufacturing.

Are you saying the best build quality Tesla is only 0.1 better than a budget brand like Geely? Thanks for the vote of confidence in Chinese EVs.

I keep forgetting all the brands made/sold in China are just crappy budget brands like Geely. So yes I guess that is true.

Oh wait, it's build in Shanghai too? Thanks for another vote of confidence in Chinese manufacturing.

Yes, according to that survey we have trained your people to make the least crappy cars made/sold in China.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting all the brands in China are just crappy budget brands. So yes I guess that is true.
So a high end American brand is on the same ballpark as a budget Chinese brand in build quality. I am so elated.
Yes, according to that survey we have trained your people to make the least crappy cars made in China.
Thanks, now even our crappy cars can compete with your high end ones. We no longer have a use for you.

So a high end American brand is on the same ballpark as a budget Chinese brand in build quality. I am so elated.

What logic did you use to come to the conclusion that they are in the same ballpark?

The Tesla simply came out on top in the reliability results. Coming out on top doesn't affect the placement of the rest of the cars on the list..unless this is somehow Chinese "new math"?

It just means if Tesla's are crappy..the rest of the cars sold in China are crappier.

Thanks, now even our crappy cars can compete with your high end ones. We no longer have a use for you.

LOL! You getting triggered over your shitty cars or something? Chinese consumers were the ones giving the reliability answers.

What logic did you use to come to the conclusion that they are in the same ballpark?

The Tesla simply came out on top. Coming out on top doesn't effect the placement of the rest of the cars on the list..unless this is somehow Chinese "new math"?
Do you not read your own link? Or you can't read?

1673410774404.png

LOL! You getting triggered over your shitty cars or something? Chinese consumers were the ones giving the reliability answers.
Triggered? I am so happy that Geely can actually hang with Tesla on build quality despite being a known budget brand. Seems like Americunt engineering isn't that hard to catch up to. Did I mention both are built in China?

Do you not read your own link? Or you can't read?

View attachment 910819

I read it:

FfkLS2RUoAALBhk

1673410774404-png.910819

I know the Chinese look at the world differently than most cultures..but in the West we generally consider having a higher number of complaints per 10,000 cars sold to actually be a bad thing.

So to Chinese I guess having 15.2 complaints per 10,000 with a Leap Motor is better than having 2.2 complaints with a Tesla.

Well...that's China for you....

Last edited:
View attachment 910827
1673410774404-png.910819

I know the Chinese look at the world differently than most cultures..but in the West we generally consider having a higher number of complaints per 10,000 cars sold to actually be a bad thing.

So to Chinese I guess having 15.2 complaints per 10,000 with a Leap Motor is better than having 2.2 complaints with a Tesla.
Sure, there are some terrible quality control builds out there that are considered "luxury", such as Land Rover and Jaguar. China has these too.

But if the best build quality in the form of Tesla Model Y is just 0.1 better per 100k than a cheap brand like Geely, it's most definitely a testament to China's auto manufacturing success.

And best part is Tesla Model Y is built in China.

I read it:

FfkLS2RUoAALBhk

1673410774404-png.910819

Well...that's China for you....

He was comparing it to Geely, which costs a fraction, you ignoramus.

He was comparing it to Geely, which costs a fraction, you ignoramus.

The list is showing some very expensive Chinese brands that just fall apart due to problems. This is why Chinese cars (at least in the past) are known for being problematic.

But that particular model of Geely seems to hold up well and has few problems. It shows up in the list right next to Tesla. Some of the other Geely's do not fair so well.

So props to Geely for having a model that isn't total crap.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom