What's new

Tata Nano... Whats thew news in Pakistan about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
after some time you may be driving a car from BMW South africa but some of its parts are from india.

like you guys said no to nokia phones made in india soon pakistanis will say no to cars if it has india auto parts. :victory:

Perhaps some Indian sourced components may eventually show up in Pakistan's BMW's - but my original comment was to refute sluggers argument that the BMW's in Pakistan were manufactured in India - that is quite obviously not the case at this point ;)

Pakistan has lax import, homologation regulations and officials. It is possible to import/smuggle new, second hand or owned cars from abroad. In fact imported cars in Pakistan ply with foreign number plates(I last heard legislation will be changed). A few connections and small bribes ensure duties are not paid/reduced and laws overlooked.

Eg. of a ferrari in pak with a uk number plate in the attachment.

In NWFP and Balochistan sale of smuggled imported cars from and bikes is very rampant but the only problem IIRC is in bringing them out of the province.

Lax regulation enforcement and corrupt officials are problems in any developing country, including India, so I fail to see what your point is here.

"The BMW Plant India is a member of the global production network consisting of 23 locations in 13 countries and complies with all the international quality standards and processes of BMW Group."

The BMW plant was inaugurated in 2007. In 2008 BMW registered 100% growth rate and sold some 2908 units in India. It is producing cars albeit many of the parts are still imported. This is done to bypass some of the exorbitant import duties. The company has not released details of its exports from India though it is quite likely some of these cars and/or components are re-exported to avail tax and other benefits.

As per todays company press release it plans to make India one of its global auto-component sourcing hub.

"“Going forward we will see more of Made-in-India components in BMW’s global products. The purchasing office will source components not only for BMW cars but also for the Mini, along with bike parts,” BMW India Peter Kronschnabl said."

I reckon the Hyundais, hondas, suzukis, mercedes etc plying in pakistan could possibly have high degree of Made in India components.

See my response to Kumar.

can you name a few pakistani car manufacturing companies?

Apart for manufacturing under foreign brand names (suzuki, toyota) we have Adam Motors (which has a very small market).

adam motors i read...has been up for sale for some time now...it doesnt manufacture presently...is that right?
any still functional manufacturer?

adam motors i read...has been up for sale for some time now...it doesnt manufacture presently...is that right?

I think they have stopped the Revo model for now, but havnt stopped operations entirely. They manufacture SUV/Trucks aswell.

No we do not have any other Pakistani-Brand manufacturer, to the best of my knowledge.

I dont see the point of opening your own Pakistani company when companies like Honda, Toyota, Suzuki, Mitsubushi, Hyundai, Nissan, etc etc already have manufacturing/assembly plants here. Plus they have much greater budgets for design, research etc.

Does it matter? Does the UK have any major auto companies owned by it?

Pakistan has a thriving auto vendor industry and auto manufacturing industry, albeit based on plants set up by foreign automakers, but it would be unrealistic to expect that every country have domestic brand auto companies, since open markets and global trade would pit them in fierce competition with the outside established brands.

India was lucky due to her size and the conglomerates like TATA that were able to continue to compete domestically by virtue of having enough resources due to their size.

That template cannot be applied on Pakistan since the economic and market dynamics are completely different.

India was lucky due to her size and the conglomerates like TATA that were able to continue to compete domestically by virtue of having enough resources due to their size.

That is a wrong statement Mr. AM,

Since openning of India in the 80's lot of the conglomerates where not efficient enough to compet with western companies. There technology, quality, and price out weighed what Indian firms could do. That is why lots of the auto industries in India merge with the western compaines.

Does it matter? Does the UK have any major auto companies owned by it?

Pakistan has a thriving auto vendor industry and auto manufacturing industry, albeit based on plants set up by foreign automakers, but it would be unrealistic to expect that every country have domestic brand auto companies, since open markets and global trade would pit them in fierce competition with the outside established brands.

That template cannot be applied on Pakistan since the economic and market dynamics are completely different.

i was just curious to know...thats all.
and what has luck got to do with tata and india being a successful auto hub?
luck doesn't build assembly line factories...good governance and skilled entrepreneurship does!

UK could not manage Jaguar,BMC,Leyland...but they had the companies and the set assets which did good before nose-diving...the working or the success of a private firm doesn't have to do much with govt. policies atleast in a capitalist country.

i was just curious to know...thats all.
and what has luck got to do with tata and india being a successful auto hub?
luck doesn't build assembly line factories...good governance and skilled entrepreneurship does!

UK could not manage Jaguar,BMC,Leyland...but they had the companies and the set assets which did good before nose-diving...the working or the success of a private firm doesn't have to do much with govt. policies atleast in a capitalist country.

TATA owns Jaguar and LR now.

Lax regulation enforcement and corrupt officials are problems in any developing country, including India, so I fail to see what your point is here.

You made a general point regarding corruption, when it comes to car imports, it is a different ball game altogether in India. First you (and the car) have to be eligible for import, fulfill dozens of formalities, pay up duties and then grease palms. Compare this with what happens in Pakistan.

its a good car, but the problem is its too small for to be any use in Pakistan. Most cars in pakistan use CNG, this car is way too small to install a CNG kit into.

its a good car, but the problem is its too small for to be any use in Pakistan. Most cars in pakistan use CNG, this car is way too small to install a CNG kit into.

Hey... so you would be having very low polution levels is that right????? And how much does CNG cost there???

it has to be more than 2 million, almost 8 out of 10 cars are run on CNG in pakistan.

it has to be more than 2 million, almost 8 out of 10 cars are run on CNG in pakistan.

In india also the gas or cng conversion started very well. but govt has banned
this local conversion kit.
The main reason was those conversion kit was using domestic subsided gas and it made it mandatory to use the CNG at the gas stations. There are not many gas stations available right now to fill it up only metros and small no of cities has it.

Pakistan is way ahead on this having more than 2000 cng stations really helped to reduce the dependence on the petrol or diesel.

CNG is less pollutant than petrol or diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom