What's new

Tata Nano... Whats thew news in Pakistan about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ You may be right there. I thought Indian tyres (with the brand name intact) have a large market share in Pakistan (mostly smuggled).

Is that still true or have things changed?

If that is true it would seem people don't really mind Indian brands.

The BMW plant was unveiled in 2007 (is it even up and running yet?)- that is not enough time for production to shift from another country to India and then back again. There are links indicating that the fifty thousand plus BMW's manufactured in South Afirca have been serving the Pakistani market from as early as 1995.

On 29 March 2007, BMW India officially opened its production plant in Chennai. The BMW Plant Chennai produces the BMW 3 Series and BMW 5 Series Sedans in petrol and diesel variants and has a capacity to produce 3000 units per year on a single shift basis.

Chennai or Madras is home for Ford, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, TVS, BMW, Leyland, Reynalt, Mahindra & Mahindra, Saint-Gobain, MRF & Michelin on automobiles.

Great infrastructure, uninterrupted power supply, disciplined labour, a friendly government and highly skilled technicians make Madras the ideal spot for auto-makers to set up base in.

http://www.rediff.com/money/2000/oct/25cars.htm

Last edited:
Tata is no 1 junk ! I cant believe how anyone can buy any car made from them ?? I remember back in 1995, Nirajan Autoports Fiji used to import Tata utility vans.
A few people did buy them for their rugged exterior but driving them felt like driving trucks, the gears used to slip a lot and there was no smooth changes.

After 1 year, every Tata ute sold in Fiji developed clutch problems. It burnt out very easily and the linings were made of very flimsy rubber !! Tata never acknowledged the problem , offered no fixes or product recall,.. the buyers had to pay for clutch
and pressure plates direct from India which ran into the same problem all over again.

No surprise that in 1997, the Fijian government closed the shonky dealerships and all Tata were destined for the scrap !! Even to this day, mention Tata, and you will get angry stares from people !!

Yes, the earlier Tata vehicles had quality problems. Now it is very different.

BMW's, Mercs and Range Rovers are quite common in the elite areas of Pakistan. If it weren't so than there wouldn't have been any offices/showrooms of such cars here.

Contrary to that all there companies have official showrooms in Karachi.

Apart from that, we have limited expensive imported cars too. Such as Ferrari Rolls Royce etc.

Thanks for that information my friend .
Here is my observation :
In India import very high duty tax on luxury items is more than 2 times of the the item. So Ferrari will cost 30 million INR.(with out duty tax it is less than 1.3 Million)
Same thing with all luxury items.
So if these cars want Indian market they have to establish in India that why they are here :azn:

In Pakistan last Gov imposed least duty on these Luxury items as a result trade defcet increesed and reserves drop to altime low and Pakistan finally need to go to IMF for loan.
India will discourse all its people to have these luxury items by imposing duty we are not pride of this items.

We have communist to guide us with this regards!.

Honestly i think if TATA markets his NANO in Pakistan, it shall be a big hit. Considering he sets a similar price across the border.

But before he does that, some Pakistani businessmen should tap this un-explored market. Maybe buy the rights offa TATA and market it here with a different name altogether.

He did say that TATA is open to license manufacturing by other companies in other countries. But its all about geting the right environment and resources to keep to the original target-an INR 1,00,000 Car.

I have said time and again, the Communist parties in India are a necessary evil. Just like friction-its bad, but without it, you'd be much worse off. The CPI always tries to do whats worst for India, but unfortunately it turns out to be good for India in most cases.

If only now they could stop bowing to the Chinese like slaves...!

Wishful thinking i guess!

On 29 March 2007, BMW India officially opened its production plant in Chennai. The BMW Plant Chennai produces the BMW 3 Series and BMW 5 Series Sedans in petrol and diesel variants and has a capacity to produce 3000 units per year on a single shift basis.

Chennai or Madras is home for Ford, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, TVS, BMW, Leyland, Reynalt, Mahindra & Mahindra, Saint-Gobain, MRF & Michelin on automobiles.

Great infrastructure, uninterrupted power supply, disciplined labour, a friendly government and highly skilled technicians make Madras the ideal spot for auto-makers to set up base in.

rediff.com: Madras, the Detroit of South Asia

And which one of my two questions did your post answer?

1. This plant is not exporting BMW's to Pakistan, as far as I can tell Pakistan's BMW's are imported from South Africa, which serves the 'Middle East division' for BMW.

2. I can see what the capacity of the plant is from that post, but is it producing cars or was it inaugurated in 2007?

Thanks for that information my friend .
Here is my observation :
In India import very high duty tax on luxury items is more than 2 times of the the item. So Ferrari will cost 30 million INR.(with out duty tax it is less than 1.3 Million)
Same thing with all luxury items.
So if these cars want Indian market they have to establish in India that why they are here :azn:

In Pakistan last Gov imposed least duty on these Luxury items as a result trade defcet increesed and reserves drop to altime low and Pakistan finally need to go to IMF for loan.
India will discourse all its people to have these luxury items by imposing duty we are not pride of this items.

As far as I know, import duties on cars over 2000 cc start at atleast 210 percent.

So tarrifs to protect the local industry exist in Pakistan as well, making these cars quite a bit more expensive than their original values - so I doubt this is behind the trade deficit.

As far as I know, import duties on cars over 2000 cc start at atleast 210 percent.

So tarrifs to protect the local industry exist in Pakistan as well, making these cars quite a bit more expensive than their original values - so I doubt this is behind the trade deficit.

But still people are buying these cars in large numbers :D. I remember in the 90's it was not that common to see a Mercedes or a BMW; now these cars are soo common along with Audi's and some hummers too. Even if you go to the villages, these vaderas and zimadars are driving around Range Rovers because of the rough terrain :D.

But still people are buying these cars in large numbers :D. I remember in the 90's it was not that common to see a Mercedes or a BMW; now these cars are soo common along with Audi's and some hummers too. Even if you go to the villages, these vaderas and zimadars are driving around Range Rovers because of the rough terrain :D.

1. This plant is not exporting BMW's to Pakistan, as far as I can tell Pakistan's BMW's are imported from South Africa, which serves the 'Middle East division' for BMW.

2. I can see what the capacity of the plant is from that post, but is it producing cars or was it inaugurated in 2007?

Pakistan has lax import, homologation regulations and officials. It is possible to import/smuggle new, second hand or owned cars from abroad. In fact imported cars in Pakistan ply with foreign number plates(I last heard legislation will be changed). A few connections and small bribes ensure duties are not paid/reduced and laws overlooked.

Eg. of a ferrari in pak with a uk number plate in the attachment.

In NWFP and Balochistan sale of smuggled imported cars from and bikes is very rampant but the only problem IIRC is in bringing them out of the province.

"The BMW Plant India is a member of the global production network consisting of 23 locations in 13 countries and complies with all the international quality standards and processes of BMW Group."

The BMW plant was inaugurated in 2007. In 2008 BMW registered 100% growth rate and sold some 2908 units in India. It is producing cars albeit many of the parts are still imported. This is done to bypass some of the exorbitant import duties. The company has not released details of its exports from India though it is quite likely some of these cars and/or components are re-exported to avail tax and other benefits.

As per todays company press release it plans to make India one of its global auto-component sourcing hub.

"“Going forward we will see more of Made-in-India components in BMW’s global products. The purchasing office will source components not only for BMW cars but also for the Mini, along with bike parts,” BMW India Peter Kronschnabl said."

I reckon the Hyundais, hondas, suzukis, mercedes etc plying in pakistan could possibly have high degree of Made in India components.

Hmm..the way I see it, Pakistanis simply don't want to drive in Indian cars, and Indians don't want to drive around in Pakistani cars.
Why is that? I don't know, patriotism? Self-superiority? Not willing to acknowledge eachothers achievements?
Anyhow, you won't see me driving in that Tata Nano thingy, hell no, I'd rather ride a bicycle, the car is simply not my thing.:P

Hmm..the way I see it, Pakistanis simply don't want to drive in Indian cars, and Indians don't want to drive around in Pakistani cars.
Why is that? I don't know, patriotism? Self-superiority? Not willing to acknowledge eachothers achievements?

As a consuer I don't mind driving Chinese or Pakistani cars.. they have to appeal to me .. for eg. I buy Shaan masala, Ceylon tea, chinese batteries... hardly matters

Anyhow, you won't see me driving in that Tata Nano thingy, hell no, I'd rather ride a bicycle, the car is simply not my thing.:P

I see you are not a fan of supermini cars, to each his own.

can you name a few pakistani car manufacturing companies?

I started the production after the inauguration in 2007.

BMW eyes the top spot - Corporate News - livemint.com

BMW to source parts for ?Mini? from India - Corporate News - livemint.com

BMW may very soon be seen outsourcing auto components from India. Last year, it set up its global purchasing office in India to evaluate the potential of global purchasing from India or procuring its worldwide ancillaries requirement.

after some time you may be driving a car from BMW South africa but some of its parts are from india.

like you guys said no to nokia phones made in india soon pakistanis will say no to cars if it has india auto parts. :victory:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom