What's new

Tank Designs

severe visual retardation? I dont understand.
I mean to say front engine heat at the front may undermine the crew visibility if using thermal/night vision at night. Pluss the gunner position will be more rear & he has to expose more of its body to get a shot at the enemies coming from front..but I think this is cured by their robotic gun

I mean to say front engine heat at the front may undermine the crew visibility if using thermal/night vision at night.
Never heard of such problem. IFV like Bradley also have frontg engine and thermals and never heard that somone complained about it.

Pluss the gunner position will be more rear & he has to expose more of its body to get a shot at the enemies coming from front..
no

Merkava Mk.IV's turret is gigantic.I knew it was huge but that is really very very big.

Are there any future plans for implementation of the L55 gun on the Merkava or is the IDF Armoured Corps happy with the L44?

Here are some not so successful tanks.

Oto Malera - FIAT OF-40
of_40_l5.jpg

of_40.jpg

Giat Industries AMX-32
amx-32-006.jpg

amx-32.jpg

Newer Generation Leopard 2

Leopard 2A5
Leo2A5-KMW-01.jpg

Strv 122B
strv122b6cu.jpg

Leopard 2A6
Leopard 2A6
Leopard_2.jpg

Leopard 2A6M
canadian_leopard2a6.jpg

Leopard 2A6CAN
Leopard2_91stor.jpg

Leopard 2A6HEL
100_6445.jpg

Leopard 2E
Leopardo_2E._zaragoza_1.jpg

Merkava Mk.IV's turret is gigantic.I knew it was huge but that is really very very big.
It looks so big because of attached armor modules.

10016598rv1.jpg

Are there any future plans for implementation of the L55 gun on the Merkava or is the IDF Armoured Corps happy with the L44?
No plans. L44 is enough currently. L55 limits mobility and less accurate than L44.

No plans. L44 is enough currently. L55 limits mobility and less accurate than L44.
A longer gun being less accurate?How come?Mobility I can understand but really a longer gun is supposed to be more accurate, else what is the purpose of one?
I believe the L44 with the KE penetrators you have is enough to take on any tanks your immediate neighbours have as of now and come out as the winner.

A longer gun being less accurate?How come?Mobility I can understand but really a longer gun is supposed to be more accurate, else what is the purpose of one?
I believe the L44 with the KE penetrators you have is enough to take on any tanks your immediate neighbours have as of now and come out as the winner.
Longer gun bends more when its heated.

Longer gun bends more when its heated.

..& that isn't necessary rather longer turrets pack more power; because your propellants can now generate more 'confined gas' (~more pressure) to propel the projectile with greater K.E. However this principle is reversed when you were using only blackpowder or generally any propellant with constant rate of combustion. Now the propellants can be synthesized to cause progressive burn rate meaning they can add to the power of thrust with increasing turret length

Regarding previous arguments:

If the engine is in front then turret displaced more to the rear & tank expose more of its front & the gunner have to expose more of his head to take shoot enemies from front. Apply Pythagoras theorem ...its just that simple

Heat shimmering does adversely affect thermal googles

..& that isn't necessary rather longer turrets pack more power; because your propellants can now generate more 'confined gas' (~more pressure) to propel the projectile with greater K.E. However this principle is reversed when you were using only blackpowder or generally any propellant with constant rate of combustion. Now the propellants can be synthesized to cause progressive burn rate meaning they can add to the power of thrust with increasing turret length
Metals have tedency to bend when they are warm, it has nothing to do with gun powder. In addition longer gun is harder to stabilize on move.

Regarding previous arguments:

If the engine is in front then turret displaced more to the rear & tank expose more of its front & the gunner have to expose more of his head to take shoot enemies from front. Apply Pythagoras theorem ...its just that simple
Can u show that here?

I personally fired from M60 machine gun and i've been in hatch of Merkava. Did not notice any difference.

Heat shimmering does adversely affect thermal googles
Here Abrams in thermal (warm=white):
e307c33eae23.jpg

Here Merkava in thermal (warm=black):

Back
Top Bottom