What's new

Tank Designs

^^^
Google translate:

"Burlak". A unique tower for any tank.

The process of improving Soviet tanks led to the creation of the world's first tank with composite armor. It was the T-64. But the desire to make the tank better led to the appearance of three seemingly identical and at the same time different machines. Nowadays, Russia has the same problem and now there is an acute question of unification.

Burlak.  A unique tower for any tank.

What is the Burlak project.
"Burlak" is a combat module, which is a welded turret with a developed aft niche, where the automatic loader is located, the potential for improving armor protection using a modular design, the use of the latest sighting means and the introduction of a remotely controlled machine gun.

The module was supposed to be one for three vehicles in service with Russia - T-72, T-80 and T-90, as well as a number of promising vehicles. Burlak is a radical development of the T-90A welded tower with a number of technical innovations, which you will learn about below.

Armor.
Armor "Burlaka" is a modular design that can be changed depending on the advancement of technology and the invention of new combinations of composite armor.

Comparison of the T-90A turret and the Burlak module.

Comparison of the T-90A turret and the Burlak module.

In addition, the tower was not a rounded cast, but welded, in a shape close to a pentagon. Outwardly, it was covered with dynamic protection blocks, and the location options were completely different, starting with the wedge-shaped scheme familiar to many and ending with a kind of inclined one. In addition to dynamic protection, it was planned to install an active protection complex. Probably a prototype of the KAZ "Afghanit", or an advanced version of the "Arena".

Armament.
The new combat module was equipped with a Soviet-style 125 mm cannon that was tested in production. But further differences were completely radical. The autoloader was a transport-loading container (TZK) due to its unique design. It was supposed to possibly replace, or supplement the carousel automatic loader.

The TZM was not just a box, but a separate component that could be removed if necessary, replaced, or modernized, and in order to protect the TZM crew, it had knockout panels.

The main calculation was made to supplement the existing automatic loader, in which the carousel was charged with cumulative, high-explosive and guided projectiles, and the TPM was mainly armor-piercing sub-caliber, which were outdated long ago and needed to be replaced with more modern ones. In theory, the TPM could hold 32 shells.

In addition to the stern niche and the long-established cannon, Burlak possessed a new fire control system with a thermal imaging channel for the gunner and a panoramic sight for the commander. In addition, the commander was in command of a remotely controlled anti-aircraft machine gun.

Other.
"Burlak" had such a well-thought-out modular design that it was possible to replace almost everything, not counting the welded base of the tower. Instead, "Burlak" was significantly heavier than traditional Soviet towers and increased the weight of the combat vehicle to 50 tons or more.

The reason for the significant weight was innovations in the face of TZM, a new set of dynamic protection and fastening of a modular design.

"Burlak" was planned to be installed on the T-72 from "A" to "B3", T-80, including the current "BVM", T-90A and a promising model Object 195, a near ancestor of the current "Armata".

Where did Burlak go?
Combat module "Burlak" was created in the form of an "iron model" and tested on the chassis of the serial T-72, probably modification "B". Tests and photos date back to 2009, and they hit the Web in 2011.

Comparison of combat modules Breakthrough and Burlak

Comparison of combat modules "Breakthrough" and "Burlak"

«Бурлак» устраивал министерство обороны как перспективный проект, но его конструкцию неоднократно меняли, а цена повышалась без особых улучшений боевого потенциала. В результате, работы по «Бурлаку» свернули, а взамен, наработки использовали в новом образце под названием «Прорыв», ныне устанавливаемый на Т-90М.

Prototype tank T-90M Breakthrough

Прототип танка Т-90М "Прорыв"

Если взглянуть на «Бурлак» и «Прорыв», то в их концепции есть много общего, а прототипы внешней крайне схожи. Однако «Прорыв» стал более дешёвой заменой с запасом для модернизации. Можно ли в нём заменить композитный наполнитель брони, или использовать второй автомат заряжания вопрос открытый, но ответ на него мы получим разве что лет через 10.

The prototype of the T-72B Burlak

Abstandsaktives-Schutzsystem-Trophy-auf-Leopard-2-A7A1-erfolgreich-getes...-e1635926527496.jpg

Leopard A7A1 preproduction testmule.... getting into service next year, finaly equipped with hard kill system... integration and testing are already successful done

Abstandsaktives-Schutzsystem-Trophy-auf-Leopard-2-A7A1-erfolgreich-getes...-e1635926527496.jpg

Leopard A7A1 preproduction testmule.... getting into service next year, finaly equipped with hard kill system... integration and testing are already successful done

Looks even bigger, and heavier. Autoloader?

The German manufacturer KMW uses Greek companies to produce the world's leading tank: METKA for the hull, EODH for the armor and HDVS for tank sub-assemblies.

The German manufacturer KMW uses Greek companies to produce the world's leading tank: METKA for the hull, EODH for the armor and HDVS for tank sub-assemblies.
And we could have had the Lynx too,but...

And we could have had the Lynx too,but...
last I checked that thing had a unit cost around 15 Million USD. There's no way Greece is ever getting that.

Except maybe 50 years later when they are obsolete, Germany decides to donate some lol

last I checked that thing had a unit cost around 15 Million USD. There's no way Greece is ever getting that.

Except maybe 50 years later when they are obsolete, Germany decides to donate some lol
The German offer was to have part of the production in Greece (just like Hungary) and for us to buy 205 Lynx and get 100 Marder 1A3 for free. We would also have the Leopard 2A4 upgraded to Leopard 2A7,but the price was at the billions...I don't remember how much exactly,but...well the government hasn't decided. On the other hand,the French are offering the VBCI Philoctetes.

The German offer was to have part of the production in Greece (just like Hungary) and for us to buy 205 Lynx and get 100 Marder 1A3 for free. We would also have the Leopard 2A4 upgraded to Leopard 2A7,but the price was at the billions...I don't remember how much exactly,but...well the government hasn't decided. On the other hand,the French are offering the VBCI Philoctetes.
now the Marders are going to Ukraine, the only thing good about the deal you described lol.

If Greece wishes to remain competitive in this field, they need to start developing their own land systems just like Turkey. The notion that Greece can just go to Germany straight up buy the best stuff in the world is a pipe dream. It's not sustainable.

Until that happens, Greece is going to have to rely on handouts. Now that Germany is switching to Luftbeweglicher Waffenträger, Greece should probably start inquiries into getting some Wiesels.

Last edited:
If Greece wishes to remain competitive in this field, they need to start developing their own land systems just like Turkey.
Man,back in the late '90s we had developed the Kentavros IFV. It was one of the best IFVs in the world back then. And what happened? Nothing. The government didn't care to promote the project and decided to buy 400 Marder from Germany. So in the early 2000s we kept hearing about the 400 German Marder. Nothing came. 20 years later...we go 40 Marder 1A3 in the exchange deal for the BMP-1s and Kentavros was abandoned.

Man,back in the late '90s we had developed the Kentavros IFV. It was one of the best IFVs in the world back then. And what happened? Nothing. The government didn't care to promote the project and decided to buy 400 Marder from Germany. So in the early 2000s we kept hearing about the 400 German Marder. Nothing came. 20 years later...we go 40 Marder 1A3 in the exchange deal for the BMP-1s and Kentavros was abandoned.
I knew this name sounded familiar so I looked it up. Elvo, it's the same company that made Leonidas APC, they are still in business. Why aren't they designing something indigenous?

I knew this name sounded familiar so I looked it up. Elvo, it's the same company that made Leonidas APC, they are still in business. Why aren't they designing something indigenous?
No funding I guess. No big motivation from the government. They tried with Kentravros and the government showed no interest,because they said it's too expensive.

No funding I guess. No big motivation from the government. They tried with Kentravros and the government showed no interest,because they said it's too expensive.
Well, then they have to find some export customers. Otokar isn't on good terms with the AKP government so they can't sell anything big to the Turkish army. So they focus on exports. Turkish army didn't buy the Otokar Arma but UAE bought it.

Of course I don't know the financial situation of ELVO. Otokar is owned by a huge holdings company. Koç Holdings.

Another big difference is that Otokar offers a huge selection of civilian products. I'm not aware of any civilian product by ELVO. Perhaps they need to make stuff for the civilian market to fund their military ventures.

Well, then they have to find some export customers. Otokar isn't on good terms with the AKP government so they can't sell anything big to the Turkish army.
Is that why they kind of disappeared the last 8-10 years?? They used to be among the biggest exporters of Turkish defence equipment before the Baykar and TAI fame. From what I remember at least. They were big in the 2000s.
The Otokar Cobra was a bit export hit for Turkey.

Is that why they kind of disappeared the last 8-10 years?? They used to be among the biggest exporters of Turkish defence equipment before the Baykar and TAI fame. From what I remember at least. They were big in the 2000s.
The Otokar Cobra was a bit export hit for Turkey.

Yeah They made the Altay tank but the government gave the production contract to BMC, there's a huge level of corruption going on there. Also Otokar's sister company RMK Marine won the contract to build Ada class corvettes but the tender got cancelled for political reasons. That's why we only have 4 Ada cass corvettes now.

If not for the Political garbage, Otokar could be exporting Altay tanks to many countries now.

Back
Top Bottom