What's new

Tank and armored vehicle protection system

What do you think, are China and Russia working on it?

• Total voters
@500
to cut long story short.. even there is no thing called bullet proof, bomb proof etc.. so even if trophy failed against vertical strikes, the enemy wuld have to be vigilant and at better position to fire.. i think trophy is a man savior...

No single army in the world has RPG-30 deployed and u can also program Trophy so it will ignore the decoy.
Use 2 Kornet missiles, one after the other, Trophy can't intercept that.

G'day mate,

There are 3 layer of defences for any armoured platform. They are to protect the tank from Kinetic, HE and Direct Penetration attacks. Active Protection System, both Soft Kill and Hard Kill is only one of the system.

When a tank move onto an engagement zone, the first protection they will deploy is smoke screen, each tank have a smoke grenade launcher and in most tank, they can add fuel to hot engine to make think black smoke. Smoke screen can be use to mask or screen thermal signature and without thermal profile, many ATGM with heat seeker cannot lock on the tank also mask the vision from the enemy tank gunner.

And then the second part is the active and passive protection system, hard kill is to physically eliminate the missile, where soft kill is divert or deflect the missile so it will not hit your tank. While hard kill is a preferred method for Missile/AT Round countermeasure, it is extremely complicate to do so, it would be easier to hard kill a ATGM, since you can fool the guidance system, but to hard kill an incoming tank round is more or less impossible.

Soft kill, on the other hard is easier to perform, but it comes with a catch, which you deflected the incoming round and it was not detonated, so what it means is they can still score some other tanks, just not yours. There are a type of electronic jamming device mounted on loader hatch for use when the tank is in low sky. The jammer will be hidden when the tank is I low sky position and what the jammer do is to deflect incoming rounds by generate electronic signature, hence masking the tank profile. It basically act as a shield.

Then when all of the above failed, tanks would have to take the round heads on with its armour. But being kinetic killing the round (A better word for taking it in) there are a few drill a tanker can do before they have to consider taking the round hard. You can do a Sagger Drill, Hard Brake Reverse, J-Turn and so on to try and defeat the round first, before the tank have to bite the round with its armour.

Davo

G'day mate,

There are 3 layer of defences for any armoured platform. They are to protect the tank from Kinetic, HE and Direct Penetration attacks. Active Protection System, both Soft Kill and Hard Kill is only one of the system.

When a tank move onto an engagement zone, the first protection they will deploy is smoke screen, each tank have a smoke grenade launcher and in most tank, they can add fuel to hot engine to make think black smoke. Smoke screen can be use to mask or screen thermal signature and without thermal profile, many ATGM with heat seeker cannot lock on the tank also mask the vision from the enemy tank gunner.

And then the second part is the active and passive protection system, hard kill is to physically eliminate the missile, where soft kill is divert or deflect the missile so it will not hit your tank. While hard kill is a preferred method for Missile/AT Round countermeasure, it is extremely complicate to do so, it would be easier to hard kill a ATGM, since you can fool the guidance system, but to hard kill an incoming tank round is more or less impossible.

Soft kill, on the other hard is easier to perform, but it comes with a catch, which you deflected the incoming round and it was not detonated, so what it means is they can still score some other tanks, just not yours. There are a type of electronic jamming device mounted on loader hatch for use when the tank is in low sky. The jammer will be hidden when the tank is I low sky position and what the jammer do is to deflect incoming rounds by generate electronic signature, hence masking the tank profile. It basically act as a shield.

Then when all of the above failed, tanks would have to take the round heads on with its armour. But being kinetic killing the round (A better word for taking it in) there are a few drill a tanker can do before they have to consider taking the round hard. You can do a Sagger Drill, Hard Brake Reverse, J-Turn and so on to try and defeat the round first, before the tank have to bite the round with its armour.

Davo

Mate, i wanna ask you something about our AKKOR active protection system.

akkor-interceptor-launcher.png

AKKOR features an reaction time of 1/15th of a second, allowing it to effectively defend the host platform against rockets and missiles fired from a distance as close as 50 meters (164 feet). It consists of three main components: a central processing unit that functions as the brain of the whole system, four M-band radar sensors and, typically, two projectile launchers capable of firing four smart interceptors. Each radar sensor continuously scans a 100-degree arc, creating a full 360 degree detection capability with some overlap. AKKOR’s radar plates, in their current configuration, can detect incoming threats with an elevation of up to 75 degrees, but vehicles can be integrated with an additional sensor on the roof as well for protection against top-attack missiles such as the Javelin.

What sets AKKOR apart from its competition is its smart interceptor. Most other hard-kill active protection systems detect an incoming threat, calculate its trajectory, find out when it will arrive at a certain point in space, and then fire a bunch of projectiles, typically steel balls (like a shotgun pellets), toward that general direction hoping that at least one of the steel balls will hit the threat and destroy it before it can make contact with the host platform. This technique, while simple and efficient, doesn’t protect against the newer generation, variable-velocity rockets and missiles that are designed to trick an active protection system into firing too early or too late, and consequently missing.

AKKOR, on the other hand, goes one step further. First, just like a legacy active protection system, it detects a threat, calculates its trajectory and aims towards a point in its path to intercept it — within a deviation allowance of less than 1 degree. Then, instead of firing a swarm of steel balls like its competition, AKKOR launches a single smart interceptor with its own on-board sensor, jointly developed by TUBITAK SAGE, and a high explosive warhead. Once activated, the interceptor continuously measures the distance between itself and the incoming threat during its short flight, detonates the high explosive warhead when it determines that it’s closest to the threat and effectively destroys it, all within the span of about one to two seconds. This method ensures the highest hit probability and effectiveness against both older and the newest generation anti-tank rockets and missiles.

In short AKKOR's inteceptor has a proximity fuse. My question is;

While proximity fuse can offer better engagement against variable-velocity rockets, will that offer worse engagement against RPG-30 which launches a precursor round before the main round ? As the interceptor's proximity fuse would detect and engage precursor round instead of main road ?

Or am i missing something ?

Mate, i wanna ask you something about our AKKOR active protection system.

akkor-interceptor-launcher.png

AKKOR features an reaction time of 1/15th of a second, allowing it to effectively defend the host platform against rockets and missiles fired from a distance as close as 50 meters (164 feet). It consists of three main components: a central processing unit that functions as the brain of the whole system, four M-band radar sensors and, typically, two projectile launchers capable of firing four smart interceptors. Each radar sensor continuously scans a 100-degree arc, creating a full 360 degree detection capability with some overlap. AKKOR’s radar plates, in their current configuration, can detect incoming threats with an elevation of up to 75 degrees, but vehicles can be integrated with an additional sensor on the roof as well for protection against top-attack missiles such as the Javelin.

What sets AKKOR apart from its competition is its smart interceptor. Most other hard-kill active protection systems detect an incoming threat, calculate its trajectory, find out when it will arrive at a certain point in space, and then fire a bunch of projectiles, typically steel balls (like a shotgun pellets), toward that general direction hoping that at least one of the steel balls will hit the threat and destroy it before it can make contact with the host platform. This technique, while simple and efficient, doesn’t protect against the newer generation, variable-velocity rockets and missiles that are designed to trick an active protection system into firing too early or too late, and consequently missing.

AKKOR, on the other hand, goes one step further. First, just like a legacy active protection system, it detects a threat, calculates its trajectory and aims towards a point in its path to intercept it — within a deviation allowance of less than 1 degree. Then, instead of firing a swarm of steel balls like its competition, AKKOR launches a single smart interceptor with its own on-board sensor, jointly developed by TUBITAK SAGE, and a high explosive warhead. Once activated, the interceptor continuously measures the distance between itself and the incoming threat during its short flight, detonates the high explosive warhead when it determines that it’s closest to the threat and effectively destroys it, all within the span of about one to two seconds. This method ensures the highest hit probability and effectiveness against both older and the newest generation anti-tank rockets and missiles.

In short AKKOR's inteceptor has a proximity fuse. My question is;

While proximity fuse can offer better engagement against variable-velocity rockets, will that offer worse engagement against RPG-30 which launches a precursor round before the main round ? As the interceptor's proximity fuse would detect and engage precursor round instead of main road ?

Or am i missing something ?

G'day Mate;

First of all, thank you for tagging me with your question.

From what I have read in the past 2 hours, the AKKOR system works with in 3 parts, a sensor that sense the target, an interceptor that smartly intercept the target and the HE projectile that destroy the target. And it carries 4 smart interceptors per launcher.

If I have not been confused, the system work by the sensor sensing the incoming threat, launch an interceptor and the interceptor will then calculate the distant between it and the incoming projectile and destroy the one that was closest to it.

If this is how it work then, the answer to your question is no. The system will not be defeated by a RPG-30 round.

When a RPG-30 fires, the AKKOR sensor should be registering 2 threats, one for the precursor round and the other for the main round. Then if I understand correctly how AKKOR system works, then it would launch 2 smart interceptors, either one for each launcher or 2 from the same launcher, one for the precursor round and one for the main round. Hence both rounds would be destroyed by the interceptor.

Unless what I understand is not how AKKOR works, in that case I don't know. But for my best interpretation on the information I have read, I would say RPG-30 will not affect how AKKOR works.

Hope this help you and your queries.

Davos

G'day Mate;

First of all, thank you for tagging me with your question.

From what I have read in the past 2 hours, the AKKOR system works with in 3 parts, a sensor that sense the target, an interceptor that smartly intercept the target and the HE projectile that destroy the target. And it carries 4 smart interceptors per launcher.

If I have not been confused, the system work by the sensor sensing the incoming threat, launch an interceptor and the interceptor will then calculate the distant between it and the incoming projectile and destroy the one that was closest to it.

If this is how it work then, the answer to your question is no. The system will not be defeated by a RPG-30 round.

When a RPG-30 fires, the AKKOR sensor should be registering 2 threats, one for the precursor round and the other for the main round. Then if I understand correctly how AKKOR system works, then it would launch 2 smart interceptors, either one for each launcher or 2 from the same launcher, one for the precursor round and one for the main round. Hence both rounds would be destroyed by the interceptor.

Unless what I understand is not how AKKOR works, in that case I don't know. But for my best interpretation on the information I have read, I would say RPG-30 will not affect how AKKOR works.

Hope this help you and your queries.

Davos

Thanks, mate. :)

@cabatli_53 @Combat-Master @xxxKULxxx

Back
Top Bottom