What's new

Talking to the Pakistan military II: An interview with a Navy Officer

Hi All; @jaibi and others,
The term LCO is unfamiliar to me. There is the DLCO (or Deck Landing Control Offr) or LSO who guides an aircraft down to the Deck of a ship.

So did the office concerned have this in mind? Since the PN has no Carriers, this cannot apply in that context, so would it apply to Helos landing on Ships?

But the context in the interview mentions Marines; so it relates to LC--Landing Craft. And as @Neptune rightly says above there is no LCO among LCMs, LCTs, LCUs etc. so my guess is its really a Typo related to Landing Craft. But does the PN use Landing Craft at the present time?
I.m not sure if the pn uses landing crafts but the marines usually do, if Im not wrong, so we might have them.

PS Capt. He said LCS

Considering your Navy's size, mobility, length of coastlines, number of gulfs. No you shouldn't. I personally think that PN doesn't even need a marine force. In fact, maybe that's why it's a commando force rather than naval infantry. I think you should focus on Submarine Warfare, Naval Aviation and SSGN.
We have a commando unit: SSG-N. Though in the present I think we should have marines because of the key port of Gwadar and the volitility of the region where our military has bases. We.ve seen attacks on navy and air force bases.

No, Capt. he's talking about new ships being developed because he's talking about the US Navy.
So is he speaking about PNS Azmat class of ships? Which other ships would classify as LCS?

No, Capt. he's talking about new ships being developed because he's talking about the US Navy.

Yes; That is about the USN, which has decided to develop the LCS based on the USN's experience with the US Marines then. Its not to do with the PN.

He refers to joint Ops with the other Services. But IIRC; the PN was already involved in such Ops earlier viz. Rah-e-Nijat in early 2011 and Adm. Nouman Bashir had mentioned (in a TV interview on PTV) that PN's P-3c Orions had provided Surveillance cover to the PA in that Op.
That in turn led to the surmise that the Taliban in return targeted the P-3 Orions during their attack on PNS Mehran on 22nd May 2011 to destroy PN' capacity for such surveillance.

So Joint Ops have been around for some time.

I thought the same but some senior member here updated me that the naval contribution was taken over by the PAF soon.
Yes; That is about the USN, which has decided to develop the LCS based on the USN's experience with the US Marines then. Its not to do with the PN.

He refers to joint Ops with the other Services. But IIRC; the PN was already involved in such Ops earlier viz. Rah-e-Nijat in early 2011 and Adm. Nouman Bashir had mentioned (in a TV interview on PTV) that PN's P-3c Orions had provided Surveillance cover to the PA in that Op.
That in turn led to the surmise that the Taliban in return targeted the P-3 Orions during their attack on PNS Mehran on 22nd May 2011 to destroy PN' capacity for such surveillance.

So Joint Ops have been around for some time.

@jaibi yes we have economy problems but still we need to increase size off are navy our navy should be off size off the Turkish navy these days by 2025 @Aeronaut

Considering your Navy's size, mobility, length of coastlines, number of gulfs. No you shouldn't. I personally think that PN doesn't even need a marine force. In fact, maybe that's why it's a commando force rather than naval infantry. I think you should focus on Submarine Warfare, Naval Aviation and SSGN.
I think we should have the number off frigates and corvettes which you have these days and also submarines

i Agree But what my point is that as navy is planning to increase their naval bases So they should atleast have higher number of trained personnel because what happened with navy and Airforce is that they were unable to respond to attack on their bases because they both don't have trained personnels to safeguard even their biggest assets. I think thats what navy officer in interview also mentioned. So either they increase SSW/SSGN numbers or marines. because i read Navy plans to have another base on the balochistan coast So they better be able to defend those assets as well.

For once, Zarv, we agree.
@jaibi yes we have economy problems but still we need to increase size off are navy our navy should be off size off the Turkish navy these days by 2025 @Aeronaut

I think we should have the number off frigates and corvettes which you have these days and also submarines

Yes, that seems to be the most important point that our navy and AF should focus on. At least the Navy has the Marines which are COs the PAF gives this task to NCOs, according to my information, and that is just not right. They should have a branch trained at par to the Marines and PA to protect PAF ground assets from the insurgents.
i Agree But what my point is that as navy is planning to increase their naval bases So they should atleast have higher number of trained personnel because what happened with navy and Airforce is that they were unable to respond to attack on their bases because they both don't have trained personnels to safeguard even their biggest assets. I think thats what navy officer in interview also mentioned. So either they increase SSW/SSGN numbers or marines. because i read Navy plans to have another base on the balochistan coast So they better be able to defend those assets as well.

Last edited:
For once, Zarv, we agree.

Yes, that seems to be the most important point that our navy and AF should focus on. At least the Navy has the Marines which are COs the PAF gives this task to NCOs, according to my information, and that is just not right. They should have a branch trained at par to the Marines and PA to protect PAF ground assets from the insurgents.
Yes According to a low level PAF Airman, aircrafts technicians and other non trained personnel are tasked for securing those high value assets, because PAF does not have enough trained people for the airbases security.

I thought the same but some senior member here updated me that the naval contribution was taken over by the PAF soon.

Was there a specific reason for the PN to be withdrawn from the theater?
Did the PAF create its own capability to subsitute or was it reaction to the PNS Mehran raid.

Nice work, but what kind of messed up thread is this? I'm talking about page layout..?

Back
Top Bottom