What's new

Taliban Leader Mullah Omar Urges Seven Point Plan for Peace

Also as already posted don't expect too much of a thanks from dear old Mullah Omar for allowing him free board and keep in Pakistan. The Taliban when in power were not actually that pro Pakistan then. You could not even sort out your border issues with them then.

Mullah Omar boarding in Pakistan all this time and not in Afghanistan is your point of view, not a fact, certainly not one you can prove with any amount of credibility. I don't disagree with your observation that the Taliban were hard enough to control for Pakistan, our advice on everything from the Buddha statues to harboring al-Qaeda was ignored. On the other hand I would like to point out that, technically speaking, there is no border ‘dispute’ between Pakistan and Afghanistan. There has been a long standing...resentment in the nationalistic Afghan psyche for the fact that Pakistan inherited the north western territories from the British. But there is no official or internationally recognized dispute (like in Kashmir for instance) because there is no legal basis for disputing the ownership of sovereign Pakistani territory which was rightfully and democratically inherited from British over-sight, nor was there any timeline attached to the Durrand agreement. Therefore despite ample hostility the Afghan nationalist governments have never even tried to approach or raise the matter through international or impartial forums or mediation. What the more nationalist/pro-Soviet/pro-Indian Afghans did do over the decades however was to try and instigate rebellion in Pakistan’s border regions (Bajour comes to mind in the 60s) but obviously that didn’t work, but there was no serious confrontation between the Pak/Afghan government forces mainly because of the semi-autonomous nature of that territory where the army was rarely required for national defense or policing duties.

So when the Taliban were in charge, were they refusing to acknowledge Pakistan territorial integrity? Not really. Would a legally binding ‘official’ agreement with them have been possible? Probably. But it is kinda hard to see how a need for that would’ve been felt without incredible hindsight. If such an agreement had been formalized with the Taliban regime (which barely a couple of countries including Pakistan recognized, and the Northern Alliance now in charge of Afghanistan sure as hell didn’t) would it have been of any use to us now? Hell NO! The NA, bristling with anti-Pakistani feelings, would’ve torn it up calling it ‘dictation over Afghanistan through proxy’ and what not.

Okay that was a pretty long (and probably unnecessary) deliberation but I hope it put in a little more prospective.

I would like to point out that, technically speaking, there is no border ‘dispute’ between Pakistan and Afghanistan. There has been a long standing...resentment in the nationalistic Afghan psyche for the fact that Pakistan inherited the north western territories from the British. But there is no official or internationally recognized dispute

Kasrkin

You might want to think that one over - what Pakistan denied the soviet, the new masters in Afghanistan eye with great interest and a strong desire and they have a strong patron wondering which way it should proceed.

The issues that alienated Afghanistan from Pakistan from day one, have now changed, the majority of Pashtun live in Pakistan, but the great Patron is persuaded by the arguments of the new masters in Afghanistan, that the solution lies in a border that projects East and SOUTH.

Pakistan have been unwilling to argue that the new reality suggests that if new borders are solution, then given that a majority of the Pashtun live in Pakistan, that a demarcation West ward would make more sense.

All depends of whether the Fauj is willing to commit Total resources to securing the present territory of Pakistan, in the shortest possible time - because time is short.

Check again the news, Taliban is also growing their power, this article also mentioned same.

Ask Afghan government & USA, who were crying from many years for the deal with Taliban. Also, read the whole article. US is removing Mullah Omar's name from terrorist list, in which world you are living in? ohh i remember, the coward Australian who ran from iraq. & accepted they came to iraq for Oil :P

Coward Australian? FAIL
Looks like i havent overestimated your IQ

Australia's involvement in Iraq was purely political and alliance. Unpopular with the public the government did it anyway. Probably for leverage on a free trade agreement being negotiated at the time.

I dont think you have a true grasp of the situation here. Stop reading what other peoples opinions are think for your self for a minute. The troop build up in Afghanistan has been on the cards for a long time. You are going to see a continued build up of troops and more drones roll off the assembly line. The US will never allow the Taliban into a power sharing agreement. Why you would like to raise a white flag to a group of unethical, illogical maniacs is beyond me.
Would you like to be living under a Taliban government? Say goodbye to that computer and your basic rights.
Power sharing for with the Taliban only favors them. It would not last, and the whole situation will need be revisited again down the road. Its now or never IMO, Pakistan and the US need to work together very closely. The borders of Afghanistan and FATA need to be under centralised control. Time to stop pointing the finger and take out the trash.

Australia's involvement in Iraq was purely political and alliance. Unpopular with the public the government did it anyway. Probably for leverage on a free trade agreement being negotiated at the time.

Check this out, BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Australia 'has Iraq oil interest' ashes ministry don't agree with you :)

I dont think you have a true grasp of the situation here. Stop reading what other peoples opinions are think for your self for a minute.

I never do that, and those who have debated with me knows pretty well.

The US will never allow the Taliban into a power sharing agreement.

I guess you haven't read the news paper for pretty long, have you?

Why you would like to raise a white flag to a group of unethical, illogical maniacs is beyond me.

You started, i only continue your trend

Would you like to be living under a Taliban government? Say goodbye to that computer and your basic rights.

who told you about that? Do you know who actually re-established Kabul university, which US couldn't do in 8 yrs? Do you know which government in kabul actually started to use the computer in government offices?

btw i will love to stay under Taliban control. my father in his last 40 yrs he done around 30+ cases here in pakistan (property related). None could resolve in the court. there are still 6+ cases running in the court, most of the cases have already crossed 3+yrs, yet we don't know when we will get the justice. And also, 3+ cases are expected. Why should not i want a government which could do justice on the time? rather then spending my life as well in the court because of stupid law.

Power sharing for with the Taliban only favors them. It would not last, and the whole situation will need be revisited again down the road. Its now or never IMO, Pakistan and the US need to work together very closely. The borders of Afghanistan and FATA need to be under centralised control. Time to stop pointing the finger and take out the trash.

Thats "ONLY" you think, who don't have any idea about whats going on in Afghanistan. still more then half of Afghanistan is under Taliban control (so they are in more power then united front+NATO). & Pashtoon tribes are supporting talibs, after NATO army start killing their relatives, so means more public support.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom