What's new

Taiwan's armed forces capable of deterring China: Minister

Actually, I never brought up the numbers game at all, so I don't know why you're accusing me of this. All I did was mention that China does NOT have the capabilities presently and is building them up by developing stealth fighters and anti-ship missiles, SAMs, ASMs...etcs.

No, you did not brought up the number game, but you did say Taiwan cannot last long and I quote "eventually china WILL overwhelm the Taiwanese defences" and since there are only two reason why a country defence can be overwhelmed physically, either ther are superior in number, or superior in technology.

Or unless you had a third reason why china can overwhelm the Taiwanese defence eventually, then I am all ears

No, you did not brought up the number game, but you did say Taiwan cannot last long and I quote "eventually china WILL overwhelm the Taiwanese defences" and since there are only two reason why a country defence can be overwhelmed physically, either ther are superior in number, or superior in technology.

Or unless you had a third reason why china can overwhelm the Taiwanese defence eventually, then I am all ears

That's has nothing to do with numbers, it has more to do with sustainability. China has the resources and weapons systems to outlast Taiwan's initial defences. The problem is (and I think I mentioned this before) that the Chinese can't afford to drag this on longer than necessary, and as you know the initial defences aren't what drag a war out, it's the actual invasion. They may have the resources, but international intervention has the ability to stop their invasion dead in it's tracks. This is a problem because they have no capabilities to finish the fight quickly enough before foreign pressure becomes too big. This is why China is building up it's capabilities to get in and end the fight as quickly as possible, because that is their end goal in any conflict with Taiwan; It's why the J-20, the AC and the Y-20 military transport aircraft are being developed by China.

I REALLY need to be more clear with my comments in the future.

That's has nothing to do with numbers, it has more to do with sustainability. China has the resources and weapons systems to outlast Taiwan's initial defences. The problem is (and I think I mentioned this before) that the Chinese can't afford to drag this on longer than necessary, and as you know the initial defences aren't what drag a war out, it's the actual invasion. They may have the resources, but international intervention has the ability to stop their invasion dead in it's tracks. This is a problem because they have no capabilities to finish the fight quickly enough before foreign pressure becomes too big. This is why China is building up it's capabilities to get in and end the fight as quickly as possible, because that is their end goal in any conflict with Taiwan; It's why the J-20, the AC and the Y-20 military transport aircraft are being developed by China.

I REALLY need to be more clear with my comments in the future.

Have you ever been in an invasion? I do..

Tell you what. Technology is worth ABSOLUTLY nothing..,.

You can have 2000 j-20 and bomb Taiwan day and night and trying make them submit, but this is not like it haven't been done before. Problem is, you are talking about invasion, not just an open conflict, you need ACTUAL troop in an invasion and the best tech you can get is your number, brain and your rifle, no fighter jet 20 thousand feet above ground can help you, because having a fighter jet airborne take time and you have to be naive to think there are going to be one on call 24 hours a day wherever you want.

No doubt china have a lot more resource they can dispose of, but how do you suppose you can get them all the way from china? Each rifle, bullet, shell, gun, soldier have to be brought ashore physically in order to fight, and Taiwan coastal defence is not a walk over as you said, yes they may miss the j-20, but unless Chinese start making stealth transport or stealth LHDs, they are going to be picked up by Taiwanese. And they only need to take out those, not the stealth fighter.

In US military doctrine, you need to be abe to maintain a 10 to 1 advantage CONSISTANLY in order to win an island invasion. Large as china may, but they ain't that large, I can say even US cannot do it if they were to commit 100% of their ability

Have you ever been in an invasion? I do..

Tell you what. Technology is worth ABSOLUTLY nothing..,.

You can have 2000 j-20 and bomb Taiwan day and night and trying make them submit, but this is not like it haven't been done before. Problem is, you are talking about invasion, not just an open conflict, you need ACTUAL troop in an invasion and the best tech you can get is your number, brain and your rifle, no fighter jet 20 thousand feet above ground can help you, because having a fighter jet airborne take time and you have to be naive to think there are going to be one on call 24 hours a day wherever you want.

No doubt china have a lot more resource they can dispose of, but how do you suppose you can get them all the way from china? Each rifle, bullet, shell, gun, soldier have to be brought ashore physically in order to fight, and Taiwan coastal defence is not a walk over as you said, yes they may miss the j-20, but unless Chinese start making stealth transport or stealth LHDs, they are going to be picked up by Taiwanese. And they only need to take out those, not the stealth fighter.

In US military doctrine, you need to be abe to maintain a 10 to 1 advantage CONSISTANLY in order to win an island invasion. Large as china may, but they ain't that large, I can say even US cannot do it if they were to commit 100% of their ability

I'm not actually saying that at all, in fact, I agree with you 100%. For example, the bolded part in your comment, the Israelis tried to do that against Hezbollah in 1982, but it failed and they had to resort to a ground invasion which was basically a failure because of poor military training for their reserve forces and incompetence from their field commanders that they had to call upon to make the invasion work.

Look, I don't think you quite get what I'm trying to say, maybe I'm not explaining it well because you seem to be interpreting my comments in the exact opposite way of what I'm saying.

All I'll say is that re-read my comment, technological superiority and capability aren't necessarily the same thing. I keep saying capability for a reason. I also never said that these were my personal views, I'm simply showing what I believe to be the Chinese military point of view.

I've said this a million times, I'm just a guy on the internet, I'm not even a professional, my words mean nothing.

I don't think Taiwan military technology lack behind of mainland. We may be not as technology advanced as it supposed to be, because you are protesting too much to US for selling good military hardware to Taiwan! South Korea and Japan will get F35...and Taiwan change is ZERO.

US is also fear to sell advanced military hardware to Taiwan because they don't trust us. Well, we are the same Chinese as the mainland are. We are too good to the mainland, that is why US distrust with us in the potential that we will give all US military secret to mainland.

I don't see China will have a military power as capable as US in the Pacific Ocean until beyond 2050. US today capable to launch invasion to the mainland China and won. China will need to takes decades before able to invade US mainland. Not to mention that you don't have a wide access to the Pacific Ocean, as you are blockaded and surrounded.

If China want to win over US. You need to develop a new military tactic and technology that the world never seen, not just following US all the time shamelessly. A completely new tactic and technology that will make any modern military warfare absolute.

Your military technology compared to us is null, you can't build anything without buying the outdated craps from your sugar daddy.

And who says that we want to always follow the US military tactics?

DF-21D is first being created and deployed by China.

Your military technology compared to us is null, you can't build anything without buying the outdated craps from your sugar daddy.

And who says that we want to always follow the US military tactics?

DF-21D is first being created and deployed by China.
it takes boots on ground to take over a hostile territory. a yet-to-be publicly tested DF-21D is not going to win a taiwan takeover.

it takes boots on ground to take over a hostile territory. a yet-to-be publicly tested DF-21D is not going to win a taiwan takeover.

Taiwan is tiny, 23 million people scattered across the island, the bulk of their population live on the western side closes to the mainland. Their military is funded by outdated crap force fed to them by the Americans because there are little alternatives, and lets not forget many spies china has embedded on the island and the government. Anyone who studied modern chinese history can tell you KMT has always had a problem with espionage.

Only one?

That's all?

99% is still following.

Do you believe that DF-21D is the only new technology we possess?

We have far more powerful weapons in secret possession, you little island people have so little sight to see the true power of China.

Why is that the approach with Taiwan(and vice versa) is more of hostility rather than rapprochement?
Can a Hong Kong model not be applied here?

Why is that the approach with Taiwan(and vice versa) is more of hostility rather than rapprochement?
Can a Hong Kong model not be applied here?

Because Hong Kong was governed by Britain with its army there, while Taiwan has its own government and army.

Because Hong Kong was governed by Britain with its army there, while Taiwan has its own government and army.

You did not get what I meant. Hong Kong still operates as a semi-autonomous entity or one with special rules does it not?
I am not talking Taiwan just submitting in, I am referring to the "one country, two systems" type concept. Perhaps the economic benefits of joining in a "Chinese-Union" with the PRC might be a good step?

You did not get what I meant. Hong Kong still operates as a semi-autonomous entity or one with special rules does it not?
I am not talking Taiwan just submitting in, I am referring to the "one country, two systems" type concept. Perhaps the economic benefits of joining in a "Chinese-Union" with the PRC might be a good step?

The thing is that the KMT still claims to be the true representative of all China, even though they lost the mainland over half a century ago.

It is basically an unfinished Chinese civil war.

Though in a decade or so, the balance of power will be unquestionably in the PRC's favour. To the point where even outside intervention from multiple nations will mean nothing at all.

If they are smart, they will see which way the wind is blowing, and rejoin the mainland under the authority if the PRC.

In the end, nobody wants to start another Chinese civil war, that chapter in our national history was already tragic enough.

PRC won, ROC lost. Time for them to finally understand and accept it.

In the HK model, then PRC will oblige ROC to give up their military, but i don't think ROC would accept this condition.

Back
Top Bottom