What's new

Taiwan can respond to assassination of unarmed fisherman by the Philippines

First of ALL to begin with

What the heck was the TAIWANESE fishing vessel doing in the Philippine TERRITORIAL WATERS in the first place??? ANY GOOD EXCUSE???

What's the matter? YOU can't find a good excuse of why the PCG couldn't amicably take care of the one old fishermen? Can't find an excuse why your PCG aren't bloody murderous? Can't find an excuse why the PCG are so incompetent that they can't even board a simple fishing boat?

In the event when someone outside crosses into the islands under your jurisdiction, it is the Coast Guard job to take care of the matter amicably as possible. They could of fire warning shots out of harms way and then board the ship to arrest said person.

But that's not what your PCG did, did they? Oh no, they down right continuously fired shots even as the old fishermen was trying to flee, Your coast guards chased him down as he was fleeing and incidentally killed him.

And let us not forget this is ONE old fishermen, whose nationalistic views clouded his sense of safety, not 100, not 50, not even 5, but ONE UNARMED OLD MAN. This one old man probably, stubbornly crossed into the islands because he wanted to make a Implied statement to the west that China will not stand by and lose territory OR he genuinely accidentally crossed the overlapping area, I mean for godsakes he is an old man which is not too far fetch that he may suffer from memory problems which could be another factor of him crossing.

But either way, the islands are under Filipino jurisdiction, which means the Philippine government should of just arrested him. There is no excuse, this was a poor conduct by the the so called "trained" PCG.

And VIOLENTLY RAMMED? are you kidding me, there isn't even a single dent mark, only 45 bullet holes, and that's not even counting the missed shots ( I bet they are over 100 ). Shame on those trigger happy "coast guards".

Well, Ma is not a hot head. He is a poor diplomat for gambling away all his chips so fast. However, I believe the Taiwan investigation team has been rebuffed by the PH Dept. of Justice, which is obviously disingenuous.

Ma's rating has nothing to do with anything, but distraction created by Aguino and the PH State Dept. However, that is not to say he doesn't want to please his people. If anyone is a hothead, it is probably the Taiwanese public at large, who usually are pretty hot-headed not understanding the bigger picture.

This is nonsense. How can you say spraying of bullets (strafing) is unintentional? it was bordering an intentional act if not wantonly depraved. that's like throwing a bomb but misses the target and instead killing the guy standing next to the target. Can you claim unintentional then?

Taiwan is at a point of no return. I think it's time for the PH government to stop apologizing and start producing the video tape and other evidence to prove "Self-Defense" Also, allow a joint investigation with Taiwan to demonstrate to the world its innocence. That is what everyone wants. If the PCG did act in self-defense, then Taiwanese people surely would look like morons then.
How many times you need to be informed? Oh well this is getting nowhere.

Since the investigation is ongoing. Let us just wait for the official report on the incident and find out what really happened then we'll see where the blame lies. If it was the fault of our coastguard then they should be given appropriate punishment. I think your investigator team didn't go through proper channel. Well they have to go through the proper process to request a party to investigate. You don't just drop by and demand this. By the way the purpose of the investigation is not to pamper the media so don't expect YouTube to be a public court.

As I said this is nothing but a pathetic attempt by Ma administration to bolster his failing popularity. As the article states, he is being pressured to react strongly by the Taiwanese opposition, which will milk this incident for all it's worth and by the Taiwanese media, who as we have seen are extremely prone to sensationalism and exaggeration, playing on the nationalism for ratings.

Well I hope this incident will pass soon and Taiwanese will off discrimination against Filipinos. Also measures can be taken by both sides to ensure no repetitions of this kind. Peace.

DOJ to Taiwan probers: Wait for NBI to finish its work
May 18, 2013

The Philippine Department of Justice on Saturday urged Taiwan investigators looking into an encounter in disputed waters that killed a Taiwanese fisherman last May 9 to wait for the National Bureau of Investigation to finish its probe.

De Lima, in a statement posted on the DOJ Twitter account, also advised everyone concerned to avoid making "speculations" or "premature disclosure" of so-called findings, even from so-called "insider sources."

"We advise everyone to just wait for the results of the NBI investigation and avoid making any speculations and/or premature disclosure of so-called 'findings' or info from so-called 'insider sources," she said.

For now, she said what the DOJ can assure everyone, including Taiwanese authorities and Taiwanese people, is that the "NBI is conducting a fair, thorough and expeditious probe to arrive at a just and credible conclusion."

Earlier Saturday, Taiwanese investigators claimed the Philippine Coast Guard murdered a fisherman aboard a Taiwanese fishing boat during the May 9 encounter.

The incident had prompted Taiwan to crack down on applications by Filipino workers and to issue a red warning alert discouraging travel to the Philippines.

But De Lima said the NBI is aware of its mandate to look into the incident, and is "perfectly cognizant of the seriousness and crucialness of its task."

De Lima also said that until the NBI concludes its investigation and submits its report, everyone, including the media," is urged to refrain from making statements relative to the probe that would further fuel or aggravate the prevailing tension between the Philippines and Taiwan."

De Lima also said she has given strict orders to the NBI not to prematurely disclose any findings to anyone, including media.

"We can only reveal the findings once the report is officially released," she said.

She also said that while the NBI can "occasionally" share with media the steps and processes being undertaken in the course of the probe, it cannot disclose "findings, opinions or conclusions." — LBG, GMA News

DOJ to Taiwan probers: Wait for NBI to finish its work | News | GMA News Online

How many times you need to be informed? Oh well this is getting nowhere.

Since the investigation is ongoing. Let us just wait for the official report on the incident and find out what really happened then we'll see where the blame lies. If it was the fault of our coastguard then they should be given appropriate punishment. I think your investigator team didn't go through proper channel. Well they have to go through the proper process to request a party to investigate. You don't just drop by and demand this. By the way the purpose of the investigation is not to pamper the media so don't expect YouTube to be a public court.

As I said this is nothing but a pathetic attempt by Ma administration to bolster his failing popularity. As the article states, he is being pressured to react strongly by the Taiwanese opposition, which will milk this incident for all it's worth and by the Taiwanese media, who as we have seen are extremely prone to sensationalism and exaggeration, playing on the nationalism for ratings.

Well I hope this incident will pass soon and Taiwanese will off discrimination against Filipinos. Also measures can be taken by both sides to ensure no repetitions of this kind. Peace.

okay, I didn't rlly hear of this news until recently...and I know some filipinos are being mistreated in taiwan, but i think anger this time is understandable. Yes, ma is a weak president usually, in fact most dislike him, whether it is too friendly to china or too soft on issues, some call him as a joke a "pro-China, anti-Taiwan American" (his green card and everything XD) but this time, at least he acted with strength and decisiveness.

honestly, just APOLOGIZE more sincerely, and all should be made well. many filipinos I have met in USA are actually very friendly and open, so they cannot all be bad people, but your government has many problems, I think...

okay, I didn't rlly hear of this news until recently...and I know some filipinos are being mistreated in taiwan, but i think anger this time is understandable. Yes, ma is a weak president usually, in fact most dislike him, whether it is too friendly to china or too soft on issues, some call him as a joke a "pro-China, anti-Taiwan American" (his green card and everything XD) but this time, at least he acted with strength and decisiveness.

honestly, just APOLOGIZE more sincerely, and all should be made well. many filipinos I have met in USA are actually very friendly and open, so they cannot all be bad people, but your government has many problems, I think...

I think it was Chen SB's government which showed their most weakness trying to give away some of the islands to neighbours without the want for contention

I think it was Chen SB's government which showed their most weakness trying to give away some of the islands to neighbours without the want for contention

well, chen is not very popular either now, my family actually dislike him as well...and though I personally like Ma even less, he at least is strong on this issue. chen actually wanted to send soldiers for iraq war to help US, and that was kind of last straw for many taiwanese...

seriously, though, filipino government should treat taiwan as equal.

The envoy of the Philippines apologized. Our president apologized. The Philippines has done enough in taking steps to apologize even disregarding the fact that national territory was crossed. We have also conveyed sympathies to the fisherman's bereaved family and would provide financial assistance.

I hope Taiwan will re-calibrate their way of thinking and approach on the issue as their temper-driven actions might lead to far greater and long-term consequences. I know there are many good people in both sides, so it's time to heal the wounds and make peace. By learning from this incident hopefully measures can be taken so that such things do not happen again.

malaya, the main issue is whether it was "deliberate" or not so.

filipino president said "unintentional death" of taiwanese, but many disagree with that statement, do you understand? it is like a slap to the face along with half an apology.

i mean, don't get me wrong, i want relations to be good again, but first must resolve whether deliberate killing or not.

well, chen is not very popular either now, my family actually dislike him as well...and though I personally like Ma even less, he at least is strong on this issue. chen actually wanted to send soldiers for iraq war to help US, and that was kind of last straw for many taiwanese...

seriously, though, filipino government should treat taiwan as equal.

one bright side on this filippino created parody is Taiwan is united against external brutality! Whether you like it or not, Mainlanders are on your side!

No! Filippinos are not treating Taiwan on equal footing! Their president is a jerk who cannot face reality to render sincere apology to the President and People of Taiwan + adequate compensations and other valid terms that Taiwan has been demanding

As far as the information that I ve collected so far:

1. the Taiwanese investigation team was turned away for not having co-operations from the filippino government which promised to provide support to the Taiwanese Investigation Team before they flied to the Philippines
2. The filippino reports use degrading terms to describe the Taiwanese fisherman
3. no evidence of "ramming" was reported from the Taiwanese investigator on the fishing boat
4. PSG used heavy weaponry against the unarmed fishermen in a small boat
5. Evidences available to the Taiwanese and media show that the case is a "cold blooded" murder in a disputed area on the high sea
6. So many days have passed, where is the video that the PCG claimed they have in possession

malaya, the main issue is whether it was "deliberate" or not so.

filipino president said "unintentional death" of taiwanese, but many disagree with that statement, do you understand? it is like a slap to the face along with half an apology.

i mean, don't get me wrong, i want relations to be good again, but first must resolve whether deliberate killing or not.
Let's not too emotional and try to look at the bigger picture. Ma inflamed the situation by calling it cold-blooded murder without first getting all the facts and also insists it happened inside their territory.

No one denies that shots were fired. The bullet was not intended for the fisherman. If the intention of our coastguard was to kill and not the engine, I think 5-10 bullets would suffice.

Anyway let's just wait for the investigation to finish. I just hope Taiwan is also not playing to the strings of China. PRC is agitating ROC.

Let me re-post this again.

DOJ to Taiwan probers: Wait for NBI to finish its work
May 18, 2013

The Philippine Department of Justice on Saturday urged Taiwan investigators looking into an encounter in disputed waters that killed a Taiwanese fisherman last May 9 to wait for the National Bureau of Investigation to finish its probe.

De Lima, in a statement posted on the DOJ Twitter account, also advised everyone concerned to avoid making "speculations" or "premature disclosure" of so-called findings, even from so-called "insider sources."

"We advise everyone to just wait for the results of the NBI investigation and avoid making any speculations and/or premature disclosure of so-called 'findings' or info from so-called 'insider sources," she said.

For now, she said what the DOJ can assure everyone, including Taiwanese authorities and Taiwanese people, is that the "NBI is conducting a fair, thorough and expeditious probe to arrive at a just and credible conclusion."

Earlier Saturday, Taiwanese investigators claimed the Philippine Coast Guard murdered a fisherman aboard a Taiwanese fishing boat during the May 9 encounter.

The incident had prompted Taiwan to crack down on applications by Filipino workers and to issue a red warning alert discouraging travel to the Philippines.

But De Lima said the NBI is aware of its mandate to look into the incident, and is "perfectly cognizant of the seriousness and crucialness of its task."

De Lima also said that until the NBI concludes its investigation and submits its report, everyone, including the media," is urged to refrain from making statements relative to the probe that would further fuel or aggravate the prevailing tension between the Philippines and Taiwan."

De Lima also said she has given strict orders to the NBI not to prematurely disclose any findings to anyone, including media.

"We can only reveal the findings once the report is officially released," she said.

She also said that while the NBI can "occasionally" share with media the steps and processes being undertaken in the course of the probe, it cannot disclose "findings, opinions or conclusions." — LBG, GMA News

DOJ to Taiwan probers: Wait for NBI to finish its work | News | GMA News Online

Let's not too emotional and try to look at the bigger picture. Ma inflamed the situation by calling it cold-blooded murder without first getting all the facts. Also, Taiwan insists it happened inside their territory. No one denies that shots were fired. The bullet was not intended for the fisherman. If the intention of our coastguard was to kill and not the engine, I think 5-10 bullets would suffice.

Anyway let's just wait for the investigation to finish. I just hope Taiwan is also not playing to the strings of China. PRC is agitating ROC.

Let me re-post this again.

maybe some react too extremely, but I honestly think this time at least it is not ma's fault. if taiwanese murdered filipino fisherman and few days later, said "sorry, just an accident", how would you feel? treat others with respect if you wish some yourself, that is all I can say.

maybe some react too extremely, but I honestly think this time at least it is not ma's fault. if taiwanese murdered filipino fisherman and few days later, said "sorry, just an accident", how would you feel? treat others with respect if you wish some yourself, that is all I can say.
Over-reaction is already getting out of hand. I understand your point but this incident was generated by rushed conclusion fueled by Taiwan media and politics. I truly believe it was not a murder. Rather, an accident. If it was murder, why not murder all four of them?

yes, it's called disputed territory.

No its called criminal fishing its called being a bully its called disrespect a.k.a its criminal to do things to your neighbors waters naturally this would happen i sympathized with the family of the dead man but the fact remains what the hell are you people doing outside of your country's waters? from Vietnam, Japan, Palua and now to the Philippines you and your mainland brothers show no respect and no remorse to anyone you simply do not care enough to care you think your superior to all see what it got you now inncent people are paying the price for your peoples pigheadedness that poacher and the hundereds of filipinos now suffering in your demon country my prayers go to them please send them home wala kayo awa may araw rin kayo mga hayop kayo!

Back
Top Bottom