What's new

Taipei seeks US help to build advanced submarines

BoQ77

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Taipei seeks US help to build advanced submarines
Top defence official signals island wants to build its own vessels amid decade-long purchase delay

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 08 October, 2014, 4:39am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 08 October, 2014, 4:39am
Lawrence Chung in Taipei and Minnie Chan

• 069a962e7a5b215c27ee2c4ff3e64d30.jpg
Taiwan is seeking support from Washington to build its own submarines after failing to get the military hardware from either the United States or other countries. Photo: Reuters
Taiwan is seeking support from Washington to build its own submarines after failing to get the military hardware from either the United States or other countries.

But analysts warn the move could irritate Beijing and affect warming cross-strait relations.

At the US-Taiwan Defence Industry Conference in the United States on Monday, Chiu Kuo-cheng, the island's deputy defence minister, called on Washington to supply Taiwan with the technology and weapons it needed to defend itself, especially diesel-electric submarines and advanced fighter jets.

"[But] in addition to acquiring submarines from abroad, Taiwan is aggressively developing defensive weapons on its own and is preparing to build its own submarines," the Taipei-based Central News Agency reported Chiu as saying.

Chiu, who led a delegation to the conference, said the mainland's aggressive military build-up in the air and at sea was a serious threat to Taiwan.

Sales of submarines are a highly sensitive issue and Washington has not followed through with a 2001 deal to sell eight diesel-electric submarines over fears it could hurt mainland-US relations.

The US has said it will help Taiwan build submarines in other countries, but so far none have expressed interest in building the warships, despite the potentially lucrative contracts.

Wang Jyh-perng, a navy captain and associate research fellow at the Association for Managing Defence and Strategies, told the Central News Agency that Taiwan could best hope to realise its submarine ambitions by first building smaller vessels.

"It would be easier for Taiwan to acquire the technologies needed if it aimed at smaller targets," he was quoted by the agency as saying.

Arthur Ding Shu-fan, secretary general of the Taipei-based Chinese Council of Advanced Policy Studies, said Chiu's comments suggested Taiwan and the US had made progress on the submarine issue.

"But the United States may only want to transfer [construction] technology to Taiwan, but not other hardware like weapons and electronic devices," he said, noting that submarines are offensive rather defensive weapons.

But Ding said that any military cooperation between Taiwan and the US would only irritate Beijing, and that would affect cross-strait relations.

Li Jie , a naval expert based in Beijing, said that except for Japan, no other countries would want to help the US pass on technology to Taiwan and risk offending the mainland.

"This would create a setback in cross-strait relations," he warned.

They said the same words when I was a high school student......

At that time Taipei claimed that they can build the out hull of a number one submarine, untill today I have not seen the hull not talking about the real things in the hull.

HUH.....Taiwan can't build submarines independently?:o:
Looking at Taiwan being a developed/advanced country with high tech economy/industry, i thought they could easilly build one on their own. This is surprising to see they can't.
By the way, does/can South Korea build Submarines independently without U.S help/input/foreign help? Seems only Japan can do it in the region.:sad:

HUH.....Taiwan can't build submarines independently?:o:
Looking at Taiwan being a developed/advanced country with high tech economy/industry, i thought they could easilly build one on their own. This is surprising to see they can't.
By the way, does/can South Korea build Submarines independently without U.S help/input/foreign help? Seems only Japan can do it in the region.:sad:
SK uses german tech. u-boot 214/209 not US.

The ww2 submarines are still in duty in Taiwan, Trench Class SS-478 and SS-426.

SK uses german tech. u-boot 214/209 not US.

The ww2 submarines are still in duty in Taiwan, Trench Class SS-478 and SS-426.

Wow this means Taiwan is really lacking in terms of submarines. Even Vietnam might soon overtake them soon in this field with its purchase of Russian diesel electric subs. Interesting....

South Korea uses German tech instead of U.S? wow thats strange, seeing the U.S provides them with much of their defence needs. Why did they go for German ones instead of U.S? or the U.S refused to transfer its high tech systems to them?:what:

Wow this means Taiwan is really lacking in terms of submarines. Even Vietnam might soon overtake them soon in this field with its purchase of Russian diesel electric subs. Interesting....

South Korea uses German tech instead of U.S? wow thats strange, seeing the U.S provides them with much of their defence needs. Why did they go for German ones instead of U.S? or the U.S refused to transfer its high tech systems to them?:what:
The last submaines assembled in Taiwan was made in Italy. Don't laugh, at that time it was a serious business.
8a655823796c01de95d6c08106d30c80.jpg

US donot have any diesel electric sub tech right now. The subs for Taiwan maybe Japanese subs. The Japanese sub uses AIP components from Europe.

Last edited:
The last submaines assembled in Taiwan was made in Italy. Don't laugh, at that time it was a serious business.
View attachment 119554

US donot have any diesel electric sub tech right now. The subs for Taiwan maybe Japanese subs. The Japanese sub uses AIP components from Europe.
:o:o_O:undecided:......................:lol::rofl: What the hell is that image? Don't tell me its a submarine assembled in Taiwan?:sad:
Well i know the U.S doesn't have any dielsel Sub. But why is Taiwan asking the U.S for Sub tech/supply then? Are they asking the U.S to supply them with Nuclear sub? If thats the case, then im afraid it wont ever happen. They should just ask for diesel sub/conventional sub from us in Europe or maybe Japan than wasting their time asking for nuclear sub from the U.S . No country will ever sell its nuclear sub to another(well not without stringent measures/conditions like the lease of Russian nuclear sub to India). Taiwan should be more realistic.

:o:o_O:undecided:......................:lol::rofl: What the hell is that image? Don't tell me its a submarine assembled in Taiwan?:sad:
Well i know the U.S doesn't have any dielsel Sub. But why is Taiwan asking the U.S for Sub tech/supply then? Are they asking the U.S to supply them with Nuclear sub? If thats the case, then im afraid it wont ever happen. They should just ask for diesel sub/conventional sub from us in Europe or maybe Japan than wasting their time asking for nuclear sub from the U.S . No country will ever sell its nuclear sub to another(well not without stringent measures/conditions like the lease of Russian nuclear sub to India). Taiwan should be more realistic.

As they already pointed out, no other country wants to supply Taiwan submarines.
Sales of submarines are a highly sensitive issue and Washington has not followed through with a 2001 deal to sell eight diesel-electric submarines over fears it could hurt mainland-US relations.

The US has said it will help Taiwan build submarines in other countries, but so far none have expressed interest in building the warships, despite the potentially lucrative contracts.

The only country I think could do it with skills and technology to build it even if with risk of angering China would be Japan if relations get worse. Japan is building subs for Australia.

I said it was a serious business. They assembled this italian sub under your government's eyes, and USA was shocked, so they get the ww2 subs from USA.

Saling Taiwan weapons is also a serious business. Two walrus class subs in Taiwan are made in Holland, after that the diplomatic rank of Halland was degraded to chargé d'affaires. There are not so many countries still building subs, who will try it again? China and Russia are surely out and I am sure France and Germany are out. There is only Japan left, and they may sale some subs to Taiwan. The problem is the building rate of Japan is 1 sub per year. To build 8 subs for Taiwan can last more than 10 years because Japan has to build sub for themselves. The diplomatic relationship between China and Japan in 10 years is unpredictable. The only possible way is USA buys the blueprint for Taiwan. That is a zigzag way, and I am doubt whether this will happen.

p.s. your statistics of Taiwan should be updated now, many images are in the past not any more.

Last edited:
As they already pointed out, no other country wants to supply Taiwan submarines.

The only country I think could do it with skills and technology to build it even if with risk of angering China would be Japan if relations get worse. Japan is building subs for Australia.
The contract between Japan and Australia is closed? Adieu Collins:coffee:

Will Japan risk such a move angering China at a time like this? Making matter much more worse than they are already? :lol: Sino-Japanese trade will take a big hit if Abe wants to send Japanese economy spiral downfall

The only reality is from Japan.
Japan could export now.
Subs are always under sea level.
Who knows.

The only reality is from Japan.
Japan could export now.
Subs are always under sea level.
Who knows.
A sub can not ever under water, they will be detected.

Will Japan risk such a move angering China at a time like this? Making matter much more worse than they are already? :lol: Sino-Japanese trade will take a big hit if Abe wants to send Japanese economy spiral downfall
The AIP engine is from sweden, japan alone can not export soryo class sub, and soryo class is not suitable for Taiwan, unless they want to blockade Guam. The best choice is 677 Amur-1650 from Russia.

Last edited:
A sub can not ever under water, they will be detected.

The AIP engine is from sweden, japan alone can not export soryo class sub, and soryo class is not suitable for Taiwan, unless they want to blockade Guam. The best choice is 677 Amur-1650 from Russia.
Taiwan ordering subs from Russia? o_O

Back
Top Bottom