What's new

Tahir ul Qadri demolished by Chief Justice at the Supreme Court Day 1

Awesome

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Qadri, needs to stop trying to be a hero at every stage, he went there apparently without a strong legal team. If you're addressing the Supreme Court a person should have 10 qualified lawyers around him.

There were good legal answers to this but Qadri lost round 1 at least. I hope he has the good sense to take a good legal team with him next time and no dramay baazi.

Supreme Court questions Tahirul Qadris right to file petition - geo.tv

ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court of Pakistan has directed Tehreek-e-Minhajul Quran chief Tahirul Qadri to submit documents pertaining to his Canadian citizenship along with questioning his right to file a petition for the delimitation of the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP).

A three-member bench of the apex court heard Qadri’s petition against the appointment of the Chief Election Commissioner and Provincial election commissioners on Monday. During proceedings the bench asked Qadri to remain focused on the issue at hand when he tried to inform them about his efforts during the judicial movement.

The Chief Justice asked whether a Canadian citizen could also keep Pakistan citizenship? Tahirul Qadri replied that he was the citizen of Pakistan and Canada and added that the documents relating to immigration would be submitted in due course.

The Chief Justice inquired on what basis Qadri acquired citizenship of Canada, asking if he had any threats to his life. Qadri in reply said that he acquired Canadian citizenship in 2005 after resigning from the national assembly on the basis of being a religious scholar.

The Chief Justice remarked that this made it evident that you (Qadri) have been a Canadian citizen for a long time and there is a bar on your becoming a member of parliament under Article 63. The Tehreek-e-Minhajul Quran chief replied that Pakistan’s law allowed citizens of Britain or its colonies to keep dual-nationality.

The Chief Justice asked Qadri to read his Canadian oath of allegiance to which Qadri said that he did not have a copy of the oath.

When the court asked the Attorney General for his opinion on the right of Tahirul Qadri to file a petition, he replied that he did not agree with Qadri’s petition but the law did not prohibit dual-nationals from filing petitions.

The Chief Justice read out the Canadian oath of allegiance during the proceedings, following which Justice Gulzar Ahmed remarked that how a person who had sworn allegiance to another country file a petition. Qadri in his reply stated that he had filed the petition as a voter.

The hearing of the case was adjourned till Tuesday when Qadri has been directed to submit a comprehensive reply regarding his right to file a petition.

Pakistan Supreme Court grills cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri over Canadian citizenship | NDTV.com

Islamabad: Pakistan's Supreme Court on Monday grilled cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri, who recently led a protest against the government, about his Canadian citizenship and the reasons for his petition seeking the reconstitution of the Election Commission.

A three-judge bench led by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry repeatedly questioned Qadri's locus stand in the matter of the composition of the Election Commission.

Qadri had contended in his petition that the poll panel was formed in an unconstitutional manner.

The bench directed Qadri, who heads the Minhaj-ul-Quran, to submit by Tuesday documents regarding his claims to be a stakeholder in Pakistan's democratic system and the notification about his dual nationality.

The bench was hearing a constitutional petition filed by Qadri under a constitutional provision related to fundamental rights of citizens.

In his petition, Qadri wanted a declaration from the court against the composition of the Election Commission.

At the start of proceedings, the Chief Justice stopped Qadri from praising the judiciary and drew his attention towards his contentions.

Replying to a query from the bench, Qadri said he had applied for Canadian citizenship in 1997 and got it in 2005.

The Chief Justice asked Qadri whether a person who had acquired the nationality of another country could retain Pakistani nationality.

He reminded the cleric that when he got the citizenship of another country, he showed allegiance to that country.

"Can the government of Pakistan, with all respect to you, allow such a person to retain its citizenship?" the Chief Justice asked.

Such a person cannot be elected to parliament under Articles 62 and 63 of the Constitution, he added.

Qadri acknowledged he was not allowed to contest elections, he also said he could retain his Pakistani nationality.

He contended he had taken up an issue that was of general interest and could be heard by the apex court.

The bench then adjourned the matter till Tuesday.

That's the overconfidence - it's the supreme court not a gathering of D-square you can lead astray by oration. He was literally scorned by the judges.

Anyway, he lacks a genuine locus standi, I hope his petition is rejected for further hearings..

That's the overconfidence - it's the supreme court not a gathering of D-square you can lead astray by oration. He was literally scorned by the judges.

Anyway, he lacks a genuine locus standi, I hope his petition is rejected for further hearings..

I honestly believe the day Iftikhar Chaudry leaves Pakistani Judiciary will be a better place. I'm no fan of TUQ but both Qadri and Chaudry are dramabaaz. Your right Tahir ul Qadri hardly has any locus standi on the issue and most of his proposals are extra constitutional and Iftikhar Chaudry for some reason is focusing on Canadian Nationality for his own twisted vendetta rather than the issue in hand.

Its too early to come to a conclusion, abhi its just a start.

What we expect from supreme court if a person like CJ is giving remarks like this.
The Chief Justice asked Qadri to read his Canadian oath of allegiance. This is unbelievable. What about lawyers which holds dual nationality? Are they not loyal towards Pakistani constitution?

Look the personal opinion of attorney general, he replied that he did not agree with Qadri’s petition but the law did not prohibit dual-nationals from filing petitions.
Isn't this a contradict statement? and want to force personal opinion instead of law.
There are millions of dual nationals in Pakistan including lawyers, this is slap on every dual nationalist in Pakistan

Is this procedure of hearing? asking to tell oath of other country??

In October 8, 2012

Senate questions ‘constitutional silence’ on dual nationality judges

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Its too early to come to a conclusion, abhi its just a start.

There's nothing too early to say in this matter! If I were the authority I would have rejected this petition on very first day, wouldn't have considered it worth hearing. A man who acquires Canadian nationality for the sake of an ease in visa issuance holds no ground both moral and legal to question composition of EC and parliament. I would rather be more comfortable with so-called corrupt EC than a foreigner who openly take down Pakistani travel document.

. A man who acquires Canadian nationality for the sake of an ease in visa issuance holds no ground both moral and legal to question composition of EC and parliament. I would rather be more comfortable with so-called corrupt EC than a foreigner who openly take down Pakistani travel document.
What about dual nationalist judges and lawyers? Are they not loyal towards Pakistani laws and constitution??

What about dual nationalist judges and lawyers? Are they not loyal towards Pakistani laws and constitution??

They are not trouble makers they are doing their job, Qadri is trouble maker first he made money from poors nearly 25 Crore God knows where this money is, he threaten government in taliban style, and now he wants to delay the election so CJ did the right thing.

The Chief Justice asked Qadri to read his Canadian oath of allegiance to which Qadri said that he did not have a copy of the oath.

this is the real issue!!!! TUQ is a canadian and at the first instance of problem he will run there like he did in 1997! so please spare us TUQ and go back to the hole he crawled out of!

It amazing to see that CJ of such a country which runs on foreign aid giving these remarks, no wonder we r in deep shitt.

well Israel also runs on foreign aid doesn't it? infact it is the biggest aid reciever of USA! so should israel bend over? the only diffrence between us and the WORLD is that the world has JUSTICE we have none! and no witness protection leading to no implication!

look at the corruption in our system even sharukh jatoi was shown as a minor until retests were done!

The man who has been habitual of befooling ignorant masses and playing with thier creeds surmised that he will over whelm by his typical cheap rhetori in front of judges..... But of course it is a court..... not a congregation of minhajiaas.....

this is the real issue!!!! TUQ is a canadian and at the first instance of problem he will run there like he did in 1997! so please spare us TUQ and go back to the hole he crawled out of!

Your constitution does not say dual national holders don't have rights? They have all the rights as a Pakistani. They cannot contest elections, however, all other rights apply.

There's nothing too early to say in this matter! If I were the authority I would have rejected this petition on very first day, wouldn't have considered it worth hearing. A man who acquires Canadian nationality for the sake of an ease in visa issuance holds no ground both moral and legal to question composition of EC and parliament. I would rather be more comfortable with so-called corrupt EC than a foreigner who openly take down Pakistani travel document.

No I think Qadri will find locus standi, he just didn't argue his points properly.

Supreme Court judges are like this in the US too, lawyers have to start every other sentence with "If it may please the court..." and everything has to be to the point or else they throw you out.

Qadri was just unprepared, I think he'll do better today.

Your constitution does not say dual national holders don't have rights? They have all the rights as a Pakistani. They cannot contest elections, however, all other rights apply.

the following is the oath:

From this day forward, I pledge my loyalty and allegiance to Canada and Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada. I promise to respect our country's rights and freedoms, to defend our democratic values, to faithfully observe our laws and fulfil my duties and obligations as a Canadian citizen

Oath of Citizenship (Canada) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

how my friend is this "GOOD" for pakistan???

besides what is TUQ's whole point? what did he attain from his long march besides a back door escape route given to him by the PPP government? if Canada goes to war with Pakistan whose side will he be on?

TUQ is a distraction and he has achieved his aims from the real core issues

ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court of Pakistan rejected the petition filed by Minhajul Quran International (MQI) chief Tahirul Qadri after hearing his initial arguments on Tuesday, reported Express News.

The court said that the petition was filed under a quo-warranto and does not fall under Article 184 of the Constitution. Maintaining that the Supreme Court cannot hear the petition, the bench requested Qadri to approach some other forum for his cause.

During the hearing, Qadri told the bench that he has used a Pakistani passport for visiting Pakistan and Canadian for going to Canada.

Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry remarked that Qadri is known as the “Sheikhul Islam” but has sworn his allegiance to Queen Elizabeth.

“The doors of the parliament are closed for you but your interference in domestic politics is questionable,” he added.

Justice Gulzar also pointed out that a person who has taken oath for loyalty to another country would not be permitted to influence Pakistan’s politics and to file a petition for reconstitution of the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP).

Qadri submitted papers and a copy of his passport in the court to justify his right to file petition for ECP’s reconstitution.

Note: This is a developing story and will be updated accordingly
ECP reconstitution: SC rejects Tahirul Qadri
Syasat ka tu Pata Nahee....Al-batta Izzat Itnee cee bhee naheen Bachee:rofl:
547728_490190464376869_1693627103_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom