What's new

T-84 oplot M fails testing what now for the army, in terms of tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way folks, the above data is for the older tank, but Turkey tried and tested the new version designated the Yatagan.
Has anyone got the data for the Turkish tests. I know the Turks didn't go ahead with it.
Malaysia also had trials and did not go ahead either.
Thailand has placed an order but deliveries were suspended due to the political situation.

Leopard 2A6 outperformed all Leclerc, Oplet and M1A1 tanks in Turkish trials as well.

t-84turk02l.jpg

BTW, I personally think If Pakistan revealed a request to order new generation tanks under a satisfactory technology transfer and If T-84 deal is not certain at present, I think It is Turkiye which is certainly going to play critical role before Ukraine because Turkey can't stay behind If the subject is Pakistani requests and never let the ground to others as long as some other factors (Money/Pakistani officials personnal requests/ political tendency) didn't put Turkey out of box so I think Altay has a big potential to meet Pakistani requirements until a certain signiture signed for T-84.

2081065_original.jpg

Last edited:
A 19 page thread without a link on the core issue?
Are we even sure this news is correct?:undecided:
Completely inexplicable to me why PA would buy these instead of AKs at home if AK is what its claimed to be.

No official confirmation so I would wait. However there is a need for a new tank since the AK despite what it is cannot be produced quickly enough to meet the needs of an increasingly obsolescent armoured force.

I think PA may upgrade T-80 to oplot technology and induct Chinese next gen tank as ak-2

Not for long may be soon transfered to Para Military
please dont make such comments without thinking what you are saying. a para military force is called a para military because that what it is raised for. it wont be equipped with an MBT or any tank for that matter because it doest fit its role. at best its a 2nd or third-line force and at best will be equipped with light tanks or APC's , only regulars would operate the tanks like I said .. the equipment and the forces are not compatible. any obsolete tanks will be decommissioned or used for training.

please dont make such comments without thinking what you are saying. a para military force is called a para military because that what it is raised for. it wont be equipped with an MBT or any tank for that matter because it doest fit its role. at best its a 2nd or third-line force and at best will be equipped with light tanks or APC's , only regulars would operate the tanks like I said .. the equipment and the forces are not compatible. any obsolete tanks will be decommissioned or used for training.

You are right. But I think FC Baluchistan does operate a few tanks.

You are right. But I think FC Baluchistan does operate a few tanks.
exception to the rule and I have seen their vehicles they are light armoured cars with MG.
if they do have tanks then the personnel are from regular armour corps

Few of the prominent features related to the hardware that can play a role here are:

1-Altay possess a Nato standard 120mm main gun.

Both T-90 MS and Oplot M carry the 125 mm smooth bore gun.

2-Both T-90 MS and Oplot M weighs about 50 tons with a manageable ground pressure profile. Altay doesn't provide us with this advantage.

3-On the other hand the current Oplot M model includes the 6TD-2E turbocharged diesel engine,while there an upgrade to 6TD-3 in under development.And we have got the experience to maintain/operate our T-80UDs.

jehsg7.png

Altay is a beast of it's arena.It does have got some catchy gadgets as well.Which can be purchased to be included on the next upgraded AKs.

If we suppose that the news is correct.Then it seems, the military is looking for a T-80UD up-gradation .To save some time and money for an upgraded AK, which can dominate any of the armored assault.
The Army chief in his recent visit to Russia was very much interested in the T-90 MS.So, logically they will like to have a comparison before they go for any of the two.

did not no read any thing i wrote? i did not even mention the t64? to point i am making is that the t84 may be a good tank but the current situation in urkraine will affect possible deliveries. and also Pakistan is warming to russia and it would rathe side with russia therewith urkraine. yes i know Pakistan has received a lot of tanks from urkraine[320] the t84 may be a good tank but i am staying firm with what i am saying .
1. either they may buy some t84's of the shelf
2. buy surplus t80's and upgrade then to t84 // or merge idea 1 and 2 together
3. use t84 parts on the mbt 3000 to make it to pakistan's standard.

also regarding the power the Chinese tank has a 1500hp water cooled engine. but if idea 3 materialises Pakistan will go for the kmdb 6td3 which has 1500 hp as Pakistan is use to having Ukrainian engines in the t80 and the al Khalid

Nothing could be more difficult than what they had to pull out for our t-80uds, heck that order literally freed their industry from Russo's. They have the means to deliver the order if placed so no issues.

India already outnumbers pakistan with regard to tanks, they have 1200 good T-90's and they have 2500 T-72's which are better than Pakistan's older chinese based tanks. Now Pakistan is getting more tanks (T-84) that do not have an advantage over the T-90's or at least a significant advantage. Pakistan needs to get some Altays, this is what will give it the edge over India's tanks.

Check out the Greek Tank trials where they compared Leo 2, Abrams, Challenger 2, and T-84 Oplot.

* they don't have 1200 T-90s, rather about 500 @t best

* Oplot is leaps and bounds ahead of t-90 in almost every feature including fire power, gun, optics and armour and engine + transmission is next to none in this category.

* half of their 72s are night blind, lack a decent FCS and other electronics, can't fire the same ammo as t-90s and have faulty guns. Better learn something before comment.

* Altay doesn't bring to the table what Pakistani terrain demands I.e medium weight/ tested and reliable systems at an affordable cost and is too heavy for thar desert region. It is still 5+ years from regular induction in Turkish army. Wait for more years to see the first sale.

Brothers for those who are saying the Altay is too heavy or has too much ground pressure. It doesn't.

The T-90 which is comparable to the T-84 has a ground pressure of 0.938 kg/cm²
The Leopard 2 which is comparable to the Altay has a ground pressure of 0.83 kg/cm²

The data on the T-84 which you've provided paints a very sorry picture indeed. I'm uneducated when it comes to tanks, but I really do hope the Oplot M isn't as disappointing as the baseline T-84 model.

Sadly I have to agree the data doesn't look great. Yes, it was the older T-84 model, but the newer model was both evaluated by the Turkish and Malaysian army, both rejected it.
The only export order so far is from Thailand, and they have just recently started shipping the other tanks, after a suspension of quite a long time, due to the fighting in Ukraine.

Ukraine restarts tank deliveries to Thailand – source

It also gives us a indication of price, although I'd expect it to be more expensive now, this deal was signed in 2011.
An over $200 million contract for the delivery of 40 Oplot tanks to Thailand was signed in 2011.

That's each at $5 million each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom