cabatli_53

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
AH-64D, AH-1Z, and T-129B pitch for Korea attack helicopter requirement

Print
By: GREG WALDRON SINGAPORE 03:13 14 Jun 2012 Source:

Three helicopters are vying for South Korea's AHX competition for 36 attack helicopters.

The three contenders are the Boeing AH-64D Block III Apache, Bell AH-1Z Zulu, and Turkish Aerospace Industry/AgustaWestland T-129B, say industry sources familiar with the competition. Bids for the competition were submitted to Seoul's Defense Acquisition Program Administration on 10 May.

Eurocopter decided not to pitch its Tiger attack helicopter in the compeition. The European company told Flightglobal that it prefers instead to focus on the Surion Korea Utility Helicopter (KUH) that it has jointly developed with Korea Aersopace Industries.

Bell said test and evaluation flights for the AHX acquisition are likely to take place in the coming months, but that the company has yet to learn of a specific time frame.

"The next stage in the competition is the test and evaluation phase where the [Korean army] evaluation team travels to the various competitors locations to do their test and flight evaluations of the offerings," adds a Boeing spokesman.

Boeing expects a final down select in the third or fourth quarter of this year.

Offsets for the AHX programme will likely be applied to Seoul's planned Korea Attack Helicopter (KAH), roles for which would include countering any North Korean infiltration along South Korea's coastline and flying counter-penetration missions along the demilitarised zone that separates the neighbours.

In addition, Seoul is also interested in developing a light version of the KAH to replace its Hughes MD500s and generate overseas sales for its national aerospace sector.

416453_254085931350484_250495278376216_541501_1818803726.jpg

The apache is bigger but the t-129 can compete with super cobra easily i think

I think South Korea would reciprocate the Altay & Hurkus deals done between the two counties, this is the time to give back:azn:

This deal will decided according to nuclear deal between Turkey/Korea. THat deal worth 20 billion so if Korea gets the Nuclear deal we are going to get heli deal of Korea...

Edit: Atleast, I think so :)

I think South Korea would reciprocate the Altay & Hurkus deals done between the two counties, this is the time to give back:azn:

Was thinking the same thing, But the Hurkus has nothing to do with this. I seriously think S.Korea will chose the T-129B Duo the huge nuclear powerplant deal they are negotiating, Worth up to 20 Billion USD.

I hope they won't do that kind of a deal because of is for civilian use and the other is military. It'd be bad to mix things up especially considering that our offer still doesn't have any combat hours on it's back.

T-129 and Apache are twonvery different classes of helicopters. One is a light attack helicopter the other is a heavy attack helicopter.

Helicopters in the modern war strategy are equivalent of the cavalry in old times. You have heavy and light cavalry and both have certain uses. Apache has a bigger fire power than light helicopters. The equivalent of the apache is the Mi-28 Hind and it's variants.

However the T-129 is much much better than the cobra by looking at its specs. More fore power and longer air time meaning a bigger hunter role.

Nice to see turkish products abroad..

Apache's technical characteristics are one thing it's pretty good armored and have more payload capacity but it also makes it a big fat target to hit but I have to admire the latest avionic upgrades done to her, pretty impressive.

Other than that she's an old concept from cold war era. T129 might just win.

T-129 and Apache are twonvery different classes of helicopters. One is a light attack helicopter the other is a heavy attack helicopter.

T-129 actually is a medium attack gunship helicopter.

There is so much room for T-129 And [C/D Variant could come on the scene in future] to become a heavy gunship with more investment provided there are credible buyers around.

Main flaw with Apache's design is that it was made solely for anti-armor role during cold war period. Greece has AH64Ds and due to high maintenance costs their combat readiness levels are below %50 despite all the money that was spent. They are harder and much pricey to operate.

Armies in these days spend most of their days during peace times. Logistics do matter.

but it also makes it a big fat target to hit
Its not easier to hit than any other helicopter, but its harder to shoot down.

Main flaw with Apache's design is that it was made solely for anti-armor role during cold war period.
Apache works perfectly against as anti personnel helicopter. Its 30-mm gun is ideal for it.

Bigger the helicopter gets easier to hit.This ain't no rocket science. And heavier the armor gets slower to move. More enginepower is required=more heat.

It's like killing a bee with a sledgehammer. AH64's 30mm chaingun is very inaccurate and an overkill. M230 itself was designed to cut through armor. Don't play smartass with me. I didn't say it can't kill infantry it wasn't designed to play with infantry.

Print
By: GREG WALDRON SINGAPORE 03:13 14 Jun 2012 Source:

Three helicopters are vying for South Korea's AHX competition for 36 attack helicopters.

The three contenders are the Boeing AH-64D Block III Apache, Bell AH-1Z Zulu, and Turkish Aerospace Industry/AgustaWestland T-129B, say industry sources familiar with the competition. Bids for the competition were submitted to Seoul's Defense Acquisition Program Administration on 10 May.

Eurocopter decided not to pitch its Tiger attack helicopter in the compeition. The European company told Flightglobal that it prefers instead to focus on the Surion Korea Utility Helicopter (KUH) that it has jointly developed with Korea Aersopace Industries.

Bell said test and evaluation flights for the AHX acquisition are likely to take place in the coming months, but that the company has yet to learn of a specific time frame.

"The next stage in the competition is the test and evaluation phase where the [Korean army] evaluation team travels to the various competitors locations to do their test and flight evaluations of the offerings," adds a Boeing spokesman.

Boeing expects a final down select in the third or fourth quarter of this year.

Offsets for the AHX programme will likely be applied to Seoul's planned Korea Attack Helicopter (KAH), roles for which would include countering any North Korean infiltration along South Korea's coastline and flying counter-penetration missions along the demilitarised zone that separates the neighbours.

In addition, Seoul is also interested in developing a light version of the KAH to replace its Hughes MD500s and generate overseas sales for its national aerospace sector.

416453_254085931350484_250495278376216_541501_1818803726.jpg

I'm no armament expert but why do u see wires outside the helicopter?

Back
Top Bottom