What's new

Suspensions for Students Who Rooted Against India

SouthDesi

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI — Kashmiri students at a private university in northeastern India were suspended indefinitely and removed from their dorms on Monday after they cheered for the Pakistani team during a televised cricket match against India.

“You cannot pass judgments against your own national team,” said Manzoor Ahmed, vice chancellor of Swami Vivekanand Subharti University in Meerut, explaining the decision to remove the students. “Their behavior was not conducive to peace on the campus. It creates bad blood with the local boys.”

Cricket is a national obsession in India. Some Kashmiris root against the Indian team because of resentment from decades of national policies deemed oppressive there, including routine arrests of pro-independence figures and thousands of disappearances.

India and Pakistan, once part of the same country, violently divided in 1947 and have since fought three wars, two of them over Kashmir, a region divided between the two countries. Pakistan has been the source of repeated terrorist attacks in India, including one in Mumbai in 2008 that killed 164 people and wounded at least 308.

The issue of the suspensions was raised in Kashmir’s Parliament on Tuesday by the opposition Peoples Democratic Party, which supports the suspended students. The Bharatiya Janata Party and Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party did not support the students and walked out of Parliament to protest the discussion.

The university hired several buses to take the 67 suspended students off campus after the episode, which happened on Sunday. Only a few of the students cheered too enthusiastically, Mr. Ahmed said, but because no one would tell administrators who had done so, all but one of the Kashmiri students in a dorm dominated by them were suspended.

“They shared guilt because nobody came out with information,” Mr. Ahmed said.

A chair and a pane of glass were also broken during the game, both of which were inappropriate, Mr. Ahmed said. But he said that cheering for Pakistan was the most egregious offense.

The Kashmiri students will have to appeal their suspension before they will be allowed to return to the university, Mr. Ahmed said.

India has an ambivalent relationship toward free speech. Statements or writings deemed hurtful to some communities are illegal, and controversial books and authors have sometimes been banned. Salman Rushdie’s “The Satanic Verses” is still banned, and last month a prominent publisher withdrew a scholarly book because of a suit claiming that it denigrated Hindus.

Hurt feelings can sometimes prompt mass killings, which have afflicted India for most of its modern history. Meerut is in Uttar Pradesh, a giant state that has suffered more than 100 deadly riots over the past year, including one in Muzaffarnagar in August that caused 43 deaths and led thousands to flee their homes.

A shared love of cricket has sometimes brought India and Pakistan, nuclear-armed neighbors who perpetually flirt with war, closer together, but it can also be explosive. In a separate episode, a Kashmiri student at Career Point Gurukul in Kota, a test-preparation academy, said in an interview that administrators gave a dozen Kashmiri students a separate room in which to watch the match on Sunday, fearing a confrontation. The student asked that his name not be used for fear of reprisals.

When India lost, he was chased by a mob of hundreds of fellow students, whom he barely escaped, he said. Administrators eventually moved the Kashmiri students to a protected building, he said.

“I was born in Kashmir, and since childhood everyone around me supported the Pakistan cricket team,” the student said. “I don’t like Pakistan for anything else. It’s just their cricket team that I support.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/06/w...pakistan-cricket-team.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

NEW DELHI — Kashmiri students at a private university in northeastern India were suspended indefinitely and removed from their dorms on Monday after they cheered for the Pakistani team during a televised cricket match against India.

“You cannot pass judgments against your own national team,” said Manzoor Ahmed, vice chancellor of Swami Vivekanand Subharti University in Meerut, explaining the decision to remove the students. “Their behavior was not conducive to peace on the campus. It creates bad blood with the local boys.”

Cricket is a national obsession in India. Some Kashmiris root against the Indian team because of resentment from decades of national policies deemed oppressive there, including routine arrests of pro-independence figures and thousands of disappearances.

India and Pakistan, once part of the same country, violently divided in 1947 and have since fought three wars, two of them over Kashmir, a region divided between the two countries. Pakistan has been the source of repeated terrorist attacks in India, including one in Mumbai in 2008 that killed 164 people and wounded at least 308.

The issue of the suspensions was raised in Kashmir’s Parliament on Tuesday by the opposition Peoples Democratic Party, which supports the suspended students. The Bharatiya Janata Party and Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party did not support the students and walked out of Parliament to protest the discussion.

The university hired several buses to take the 67 suspended students off campus after the episode, which happened on Sunday. Only a few of the students cheered too enthusiastically, Mr. Ahmed said, but because no one would tell administrators who had done so, all but one of the Kashmiri students in a dorm dominated by them were suspended.

“They shared guilt because nobody came out with information,” Mr. Ahmed said.

A chair and a pane of glass were also broken during the game, both of which were inappropriate, Mr. Ahmed said. But he said that cheering for Pakistan was the most egregious offense.

The Kashmiri students will have to appeal their suspension before they will be allowed to return to the university, Mr. Ahmed said.

India has an ambivalent relationship toward free speech. Statements or writings deemed hurtful to some communities are illegal, and controversial books and authors have sometimes been banned. Salman Rushdie’s “The Satanic Verses” is still banned, and last month a prominent publisher withdrew a scholarly book because of a suit claiming that it denigrated Hindus.

Hurt feelings can sometimes prompt mass killings, which have afflicted India for most of its modern history. Meerut is in Uttar Pradesh, a giant state that has suffered more than 100 deadly riots over the past year, including one in Muzaffarnagar in August that caused 43 deaths and led thousands to flee their homes.

A shared love of cricket has sometimes brought India and Pakistan, nuclear-armed neighbors who perpetually flirt with war, closer together, but it can also be explosive. In a separate episode, a Kashmiri student at Career Point Gurukul in Kota, a test-preparation academy, said in an interview that administrators gave a dozen Kashmiri students a separate room in which to watch the match on Sunday, fearing a confrontation. The student asked that his name not be used for fear of reprisals.

When India lost, he was chased by a mob of hundreds of fellow students, whom he barely escaped, he said. Administrators eventually moved the Kashmiri students to a protected building, he said.

“I was born in Kashmir, and since childhood everyone around me supported the Pakistan cricket team,” the student said. “I don’t like Pakistan for anything else. It’s just their cricket team that I support.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/06/w...pakistan-cricket-team.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0
i feel sorry for the kid.
poor kid has to lie and has been denied his freedom of expression by yindoos.
what kind of democracy is this? everybody knows kashmiris are with pakistan its just that simple
the kid has to lie now just to get back in school jesus christ india is a sick country

One day they will not have to give any excuses to support land of pure. Hindu is peculiar animal, he enjoy suffering of others. This was said by dalit news editor by the way.

Once these guys are exposed at college level with such acts, they won't even get jobs. They did it foolishly and are repenting now. This is not valley to do whatever dance they want, this is mainland and no one even dare to protect them.Lucky kids escaped.

Lmao! dat change of title

Once these guys are exposed at college level with such acts, they won't even get jobs. They did it foolishly and are repenting now. This is not valley to do whatever dance they want, this is mainland and no one even dare to protect them.Lucky kids escaped.

Its temporary bhayiyayayya, hindu hatered is known all over. Its not like they will get any job anyway.

Let me change my sig to quote hindu dalit editor.

Its actually more of your loss, you kids beat a student who only supported Pakistani team, how do you think he is going to feel now about india? Pakistan got upper hand in this situation, won a match and everyone else got to see how indians treat kashmiris.

Its actually more of your loss, you kids beat a student who only supported Pakistani team, how do you think he is going to feel now about india?.

LOL, you are completely thinking other way. It's the right thing to do, now these kids will decide their future. If they want to live in mainland, they should behave like normal Indian. If he still hates, he can stay back in valley or can move to any country where he can enjoy.

One day they will not have to give any excuses to support land of pure. Hindu is peculiar animal, he enjoy suffering of others. This was said by dalit news editor by the way.

This entire episode, never talks about religion anywhere and for you guys everything revolves around religion. This is all about Nationality. FYI, if at all you are dreaming that Indian muslims support Pakistan team, you are wrong. Here are the comments from one Indian muslim -

shahid siddiqui ‏@shahid_siddiqui Mar 2
If any Muslim celebrates Pak win then they r a disgrace and insult to the country and to the community. I condemn such idiots. shahid siddiqui ‏@shahid_siddiqui Mar 2
I tell you with full confidence that 99% Muslims dislike Pak. They want India to win

We know you guys don't make people suffer.....you just blow them up.....I like it though, much quicker.....:-)
which dalit news editor by the way......

@SouthDesi

I only care about Kashmiri muslims, and how they are suffering in hands of hindus. Hindus has occopied pure land and now cry when people of IOK support land of pure instead of land of peculiar animal hindu.

Every muslim in India is an Indian muslim. Period. we don't see them differently.

We know you guys don't make people suffer.....you just blow them up.....I like it though, much quicker.....:-)
which dalit news editor by the way......

Good to see your lundi was spotted just in time. Dalit name is V.T.Rajshekar

Every muslim in India is an Indian muslim. Period. we don't see them differently.

You guys don't even see dalits as equally, let alone muslims. Kashmiri muslims are our blood brothers, we only care about them. They have nothing in common with Indians.

Good to see your lundi was spotted just in time. Dalit name is V.T.Rajshekar
....and where is the proof(link) he said that.....LOL...you think we're brainless like you...

Back
Top Bottom