What's new

Sukhoi PAK-FA / FGFA: Updates,News & Discussions

Ophs.. currently I'm in China admiring well built Shanghai/ Beijing ..but I'm sorry to say I'm not able to access youtube not sure why? Is it blocked in China?

Sorry for off topic post.

Enjoy the trip. :P The youtube video I posted is about YF23. It is assumed that F23 is much better than F22. Come back to India and watch it

@ topic: I have full trust on Russia, if Russia says, they are making something as good as F22, They will definitely do it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Indian Defense Projects Sentinel agrees on T-50/Pak-Fa stealth deficiencies

Let's approach this discussion from a completely different view. I am presenting a citation from the Indian Defense Projects Sentinel, which mentions most of the T-50/Pak-Fa stealth deficiencies that I have mentioned. The point is that there is wide agreement among objective T-50/Pak-Fa observers about the existing stealth problems.

I understand that you don't trust me. How about trusting a former Indian air force fighter pilot?

Xs31G.jpg

The Indian Defense Projects Sentinel analysis (see below) is the same as my own.

Reference: PAK-FA / T-50 - Indian Defense Projects Sentinel

XjxpL.jpg

Contrary to PtldM3's propaganda, the Indian Defense Projects Sentinel also lists the Pak-Fa's protruding IRST (#2 on list) and metal-framed cockpit canopy (#3 on list) as not stealthy. The full list of 7 stealth problems is itemized in the red box.

sf603.jpg

Who wants to be the first to claim former IAF Jaguar pilot Mr. Vijainder K. Thankur is a biased anti-Indian source? Or are you willing to accept his objective analysis of the stealth deficiencies in the T-50/Pak-Fa, which I have summarized in my diagram?

New TVC design? Could this be for PAk FA? Any Russian speakers here:woot:

Watch from 7:44

They had installed 2D thrust-vectoring on Lyulka AL-31FP (Al-31FU) but, rejected it later because of performance issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Martin2 By Chinese Logic Only Saw-Toothed Edges Are Stealthy ? :rolleyes:

I am surprised that you and Firemaster are unaware of the stealthiness of saw-toothed edges.

Both of you frequent the J-20 thread and you must have read my previous explanations. However, I will provide the citation here in this thread for the first time on saw-toothed edges. Hopefully, you won't demonstrate your ignorance again regarding the stealth design feature of saw-toothed edges.

I am very disappointed in many of you. You have been discussing stealth design for two years now and many of you don't seem to have the faintest understanding of the basics of stealth design for a fighter aircraft. If you are ignorant, why do you keep challenging my list of 17 features for stealth fighter design?

Moving along, you are referring to item #9 on my list (see below). I am providing a citation to buttress item #9.

Reference: Aerospaceweb.org | Ask Us - Stealth Technology

Waclz.jpg

Saw-tooths are a basic element of stealth design on the B-2, F-22, and J-20. However, unlike the American and Chinese stealth aircraft, many bay doors on the Russian T-50/Pak-Fa have no saw-tooths (see picture below).

----------

Why hasn't Russia fixed the T-50's problems in the last two years?

Xs31G.jpg

Sukhoi hasn't fixed a single stealth design problem in two years.

The list of T-50/Pak-Fa design problems is well known. The more interesting question is why hasn't Sukhoi fixed a single problem in two years. I believe Russia has reached its technological limits.

1. Protruding IRST - To recess the IRST, it would displace space in the nose section of the plane. This would affect the size of the radar that can be installed. Apparently, there isn't enough space for both a recessed IRST and the planned radar.

2. Metal-framed canopy - Only two countries, the United States and China, have built a frameless bubble canopy. This is a high-tech item that must withstand sustained supersonic speeds or a bird strike. Russia apparently lacks the technology to build a frameless bubble canopy.

In addition to stealth, a frameless bubble canopy provides an unobstructed view of the airspace.

3. Tall fuselage behind pilot - If you make a detailed comparison between the T-50 and the Su-30, you will find many similarities. The T-50 appears to be an evolutionary design of the Su-30 and not a completely new design.

The tall fuselage area behind the pilot appears to house satellite communication equipment and cannot be reduced readily.

4. Engine fan blades in straight airduct - To build a stealthy S-duct, the T-50 would have to be completely redesigned. Sukhoi chose the practical option of installing a linear engine pod, because a S-duct would crimp the payload area.

Also, it is very difficult for maintenance to access a S-duct integrated into the fusleage of the fighter. To design a F-22 or J-20, it would require countless hours of CAD design to ensure that every part was accessible to maintenance personnel.

Sukhoi was willing to sacrifice stealth for ease of maintenance.

5. Vents reflect radar - In the design of the T-50 and Su-30, the vents are important to shape the airflow and probably to achieve the proper pressure in the engines. Sukhoi cannot simply remove the vents to improve the stealthiness of the T-50.

6. Metal engine pods reflect radar - Engines are hot and they need to be properly cooled. Sukhoi cannot simply encase the metal engine pods in RAM. Once the engine pods are encased in insulating RAM, Sukhoi must resolve the cooling requirement by building a plumbing network to redistribute the heat.

This would add weight, complexity, and cost to the T-50. Sukhoi may have decided the costs outweighed the benefits of stealth.

The primary purpose of the T-50 is not to win battles against the F-22 or J-20. Russia relies on its thermonuclear arsenal to ensure its safety. In other words, the effectiveness of the T-50 against the F-22 or J-20 is not an issue for Russia.

For foreign purchasers of the T-50, the exposed metal engine pods are a death knell for their airforce. The RCS for exposed metal engine pods is huge. The T-50's exposed metal engine pods are no different from a fourth-generation non-stealthy Su-30 and they can be detected at tremendous distances.

7. Gaps between airducts and fuselage - The gaps between the airducts and fuselage cannot be eliminated, because there are vents along the side of the airducts that provide a vital aerodynamic function.

Also, you can't just move the airducts and engine pods against the fuselage. There are aerodynamic airflow considerations, heat issue, and maintenance access problems. The airducts and engine pods on both the Su-30 and T-50 were intentionally placed at their exact locations.

If you move the airduct and engine pod, the center of mass of the wing changes and it affects the stability of the plane.

8. Uneven heights of underside - To achieve a smoother and stealthier underside, there are only two choices. Either reduce the size of the airducts and engine pods or expand the fuselage and extend it downwards.

The airduct size can't be changed, because the engines require a flow of a minimum cubic feet of air per second. The engine pods can't be reduced, because the combustion chamber needs a minimum size to achieve a desired thrust.

The other choice is to extend the fuselage downwards. This is not a simple proposition. This affects the rigidity of the entire fuselage. The fuselage ribs will be much larger (i.e. heavier) and it may compromise airworthiness. Preserving the same width, longer fuselage ribs are weaker and cracks may develop earlier.

Also, an extended fuselage will block the internal side vents. This is a constant theme. If Sukhoi tries to improve the stealth characteristic of the current T-50, it tends to conflict with an existing aerodynamic need.

9. Lack of stealthy saw-toothed edges on bay doors - If you look closely at pictures of a J-20 with its saw-toothed bay doors closed, it is impossible to see the outline of the saw-toothed edges. This is a credit to China's machine tool industry. The precision of the machining can achieve very fine tolerances.

On the other hand, pictures of the closed straight-edged bay doors on the T-50 show the clear outlines of the doors. Without machining to fine tolerances, Sukhoi has probably concluded the closed bay doors aren't stealthy anyway. There is no point in introducing non-stealthy saw-toothed bay doors.

Russia lacks an advanced machine tool industry and stealthy saw-toothed doors are beyond her current technological capability.

10. Round engine-pod shape reflects radar - I've already covered this issue in item #6. Sukhoi cannot just encase the hot engine pods in RAM material.

11. Lack of gold-colored transparent RAM for cockpit canopy - There are pictures of F-22 and J-20 with gold-colored transparent RAM on their frameless cockpit canopies. To date, I have never seen a T-50 picture with similar transparent RAM.

Russian material science technology appears to have reached its limit. Russia may be capable of manufacturing opaque RAM for the plane in general. However, in two years, Sukhoi has not been able to produce transparent gold-colored RAM.

On the other hand, Sukhoi may have decided gold-colored transparent RAM is pointless. Since the metal-framed cockpit canopy is already reflecting radar, there is no point in applying transparent RAM to the T-50 cockpit canopy.

----------

In conclusion, Sukhoi hasn't tried to fix all of the well-known problems with the T-50/Pak-Fa because the alteration of part of the plane affects the performance of other parts of the plane. In other words, Sukhoi is trapped.

Sukhoi can't make the T-50/Pak-Fa more stealthy, because the Su-30 airframe was never meant to be used as a stealth platform. To build a F-22 or J-20 class stealth fighter, Sukhoi needs to start with a clean sheet. However, the development of a world-class stealth fighter can take a decade or more.

Russia doesn't have the luxury of starting with a new design and it needs a "stealth" fighter for export now. Hence, the result is a severely-compromised T-50/Pak-Fa. The T-50 is an evolutionary improvement on the basic Su-30 airframe by having a stealthy shaped nose, internal weapon bays, planform alignment, canted forward airduct, and canted vertical stabilizers.

If you are counting, you will notice the T-50/Pak-Fa lacks 12 stealth design elements (when you include non-serrated round engine nozzles) and only has five stealth design features.

The T-50/Pak-Fa is clearly not competitive with the F-22 or J-20. Sukhoi has a long way to go. It will be interesting to see if Sukhoi is able to improve on the currently deficient third T-50/Pak-Fa prototype.

@ Martian when did I post about Sawtooth edges???

Are you mistaken me with someone else:undecided:

I just thanked him:D

11. Lack of gold-colored transparent RAM for cockpit canopy - There are pictures of F-22 and J-20 with gold-colored transparent RAM on their frameless cockpit canopies. To date, I have never seen a T-50 picture with similar transparent RAM.

Russian material science technology appears to have reached its limit. Russia may be capable of manufacturing opaque RAM for the plane in general. However, in two years, Sukhoi has not been able to produce transparent gold-colored RAM.

On the other hand, Sukhoi may have decided gold-colored transparent RAM is pointless. Since the metal-framed cockpit canopy is already reflecting radar, there is no point in applying transparent RAM to the T-50 cockpit canopy.

I wanted to give a details reply for your post, but after reading this. I've lost hope.
Person who do not know difference between RAM and reflective coating is preaching other about Stealth?

Sigh....:(

I am surprised that you and Firemaster are unaware of the stealthiness of saw-toothed edges.

Both of you frequent the J-20 thread and you must have read my previous explanations :no:. However, I will provide the citation here in this thread for the first time on saw-toothed edges. Hopefully, you won't demonstrate your ignorance again regarding the stealth design feature of saw-toothed edges.

Hello When Did I Said "Saw Toothed edges Are NOT Stealthy" ? And Lets Not Talk About How Much I Know....Shows Your Level Of Knowledge. :lazy:

My Kind Regards

That Gold coloured canopy thing.. i think i read, India developed it some time back..:unsure:

I understand that you don't trust me. How about trusting a former Indian air force fighter pilot?

It doesn't have anything to do with your origin, but with your obvious troll behaviour to faking or claiming wrong things and simply ignoring the fact that you and the "sources" you presented so far, just talks about the T50 prototype!

It is widely known and reported that, the serial production versions (especially the Indian one) will have several important changes, like materials, radar blockers (which the last source mentioned as well, but which you left out again), new engines and fuselage coverings...
That's why most of your points are simply wrong and just shows the level of bias and the lack of knowledge you have! Just take this part:

The T-50 appears to be an evolutionary design of the Su-30 and not a completely new design.

Yes, T50 is an evolution of the successful Flanker design, but it's simply laughable to claim it's not a new design. Does any Su 30 before had:

- delta wings
- all movable tail fins
- movable LERX
- a straight and not angled cockpit section

No they haven't! Only the seperated engine bays looks similar, because that is a typical Russian design feature, be it for the Flanker series or the Mig 29 series. It was quiet logical that they will use the advantages of this design to generate lift again, because it worked well before. Btw, the air intakes are angled at the outer sides, so there is no right angle between weaponbays and them, another wrong claim of you, like so many:

wdt7s6rd.jpg

As I told you earlier, instead of making a fool out of yourself by claiming such things, use this thread to learn about the T50 and the later serial production versions, then get to an opinion or conclusion. you might read about NG engine development, that will change the engine coverings and TVN design, or that the production Pak Fa will get IRST with a special gold coating to reduce the RCS, which then obviously can be used for the canopy again (if needed, YF 23 has a similar 2 piece canopy and was considered to had a lower RCS than the YF 22):

Part828.jpg

...but therefor you have to take latest news to account and not only old stuff that talks about the first prototype, more over you have to look at it unbiased and that might be the main problem.

I am very disappointed in many of you. You have been discussing stealth design for two years now and many of you don't seem to have the faintest understanding of the basics of stealth design for a fighter aircraft. If you are ignorant, why do you keep challenging my list of 17 features for stealth fighter design?

I’m going to be as nice as possible when I say this so, here it goes--shut it. You know nothing about stealth, you claimed that the J-20 canards are not a problem for stealth because they are paper thin---epic fail. You also made a fool out of yourself with some panel alignment argument that you clearly had no idea about, and its quite obvious how your claims are all bias and twisted, you have been caught on many occasions claiming that the same features that are found in the pak-fa and are poor for stealth are actually good for stealth on Chinese made aircraft.

Saw-tooths are a basic element of stealth design on the B-2, F-22, and J-20. However, unlike the American and Chinese stealth aircraft, many bay doors on the Russian T-50/Pak-Fa have no saw-tooths (see picture below).

The only bay door on the pak-fa that have no serration is the rear bay door and if you looked at the X-35 prototype it also didn’t have any saw tooth bays.

The list of T-50/Pak-Fa design problems is well known. The more interesting question is why hasn't Sukhoi fixed a single problem in two years. I believe Russia has reached its technological limits.

1. Protruding IRST - To recess the IRST, it would displace space in the nose section of the plane. This would affect the size of the radar that can be installed. Apparently, there isn't enough space for both a recessed IRST and the planned radar.

So than you would agree that the 4 underwing pods on the J-20 would be even worse because there are four of them and they are many, many times larger. Let me guess the J-20 is excluded here because those underwing pods are ‘stealth’. You also had no problem claiming the WZ-10 being stealth with that ridiculous FLIR hanging off its nose, now did you?

2. Metal-framed canopy - Only two countries, the United States and China, have built a frameless bubble canopy. This is a high-tech item that must withstand sustained supersonic speeds or a bird strike. Russia apparently lacks the technology to build a frameless bubble canopy.

In addition to stealth, a frameless bubble canopy provides an unobstructed view of the airspace.

Again with the frameless nonsense. Both B-2 and F-117 had no frameless canopy, in fact it wasn’t even a two piece canopy but canopies with multiple frames and they did quite well. The only real problem that the frame would make is visibility and or if the junction between the frame had a large gap that was at a 90 degree angle, the pak-fa has none.

3. Tall fuselage behind pilot - If you make a detailed comparison between the T-50 and the Su-30, you will find many similarities. The T-50 appears to be an evolutionary design of the Su-30 and not a completely new design.

This is ridiculous beyond words. By this logic the F-22 has to be a copy of the F-15 right? Beside the pak-fa and the SU-30 having a canopy that sits high on the upper fuselage that than recedes I see no similarities. The two design has different designs, one being canted and the other not being canted, one being thin, the other being wide. Do you see where I’m getting at.

By the way ladies and gentlemen the J-20 must be an upgraded J-10 because the canopies and rear fuselage are similar, so there you have it, according to Martian the J-20 is just an evolution of the J-10.

By the way look that the side profile of the J-20, it is bloated to say the least. Compared that the flat pak-fa side profile. What Martian is trying to do is twist things around by claiming that the pak-fa’s fuselage behind the canopy must be poor for stealth because it sits high, thus it must be a problem, yet if you compare the J-20 from the side you will see a fatty that makes the F-35 look thin and elegant.

4. Engine fan blades in straight airduct - To build a stealthy S-duct, the T-50 would have to be completely redesigned. Sukhoi chose the practical option of installing a linear engine pod, because a S-duct would crimp the payload area.

As I say every time, Boeing must be lying when they said that the frontal profile of the F-15 Silent Eagle can match the F-35. Again picking and choosing, if Boeing makes a claim that destroys your argument they must be liars if some no name blog makes a claim that makes the J-20 look good and or makes the pak-fa look bad that it has to be the truth.

Not only is Boeing liars but so are defense analysts.

Also, it is very difficult for maintenance to access a S-duct integrated into the fuselage of the fighter. To design a F-22 or J-20, it would require countless hours of CAD design to ensure that every part was accessible to maintenance personnel.

Soviet aircraft from the 1960’s has S ducts, don’t try to make it out as anything special that needs ‘CAD designs’.

A number of Soviet aircraft had S-ducts and it is nothing special. S-ducts are the enevidable result of jet engines being placed in the aircraft’s center mass. The further the intakes are apart from the center mass the more extreme the curvature will be. The SU-47 had S-ducts as well as a flat fuselage, Sukhoi chose not to incorporate either on the pak-fa.

This is reality not some fabricated opinionated rants about CAD and maintenance which you have zero proof of. Case in point, you failed…again, you failed to do your research, and you showed your bias views as well as sheer ignorance. Knowing you; you will just ignore the fact that Sukhoi has experience with S-ducts and even had S-ducts on the SU-47. Knowing you; you will shamelessly stick to your version of the story despite overwhelming evidence that proves you wrong.

5. Vents reflect radar - In the design of the T-50 and Su-30, the vents are important to shape the airflow and probably to achieve the proper pressure in the engines. Sukhoi cannot simply remove the vents to improve the stealthiness of the T-50.

That is interesting both the YF-23 as well as the F-117 had vents. Do you ever feel ashamed of lying?

7. Gaps between airducts and fuselage - The gaps between the airducts and fuselage cannot be eliminated, because there are vents along the side of the airducts that provide a vital aerodynamic function.

This is one example of Martian twisting and manipulating, he claimed that the same gaps in the F-22 are okay for stealth. And the question here is why would a gap between the fuselage and intake be problematic? As with the pak-fa, its ‘gap’ is angled, that angle eventually recedes into the fuselage. Both gaps in the F-22 and pak-fa are designed to redirect EM energy from the lower fuselage.

As for the claim of Sukhoi not being able to eliminate the gaps between the intake and fuselage. Firstly who are you to say they can not? If Sukhoi is able to built an entire aircraft from the ground up I’m sure they can make a simple correction if they wish. I take it you have not seen the SU-27 prototype? They redesign the entire aircraft. Moreover, the SU-35 was radically redesigned internally. For instance they removed the entire air brake, redesigned the bulkheads or ribs around where the airbrake used to be and added a fuel tank with additional pluming.

If you move the airduct and engine pod, the center of mass of the wing changes and it affects the stability of the plane.

Thanks, wanabe aerospace engineer but all aircraft can drop hundreds or thousands of lbs worth of ordinance from one side of the aircraft and still function just fine.

The airduct size can't be changed, because the engines require a flow of a minimum cubic feet of air per second. The engine pods can't be reduced, because the combustion chamber needs a minimum size to achieve a desired thrust.

Of course just like the F-117 right? The F117’s designers put a restricted mesh grill in front of the intake, did they not? Clearly the F-117’s engines were restricted but here you claim that an engine needs a minimum amount of air to pass through it. Another made up claim busted.

The other choice is to extend the fuselage downwards. This is not a simple proposition. This affects the rigidity of the entire fuselage. The fuselage ribs will be much larger (i.e. heavier) and it may compromise airworthiness. Preserving the same width, longer fuselage ribs are weaker and cracks may develop earlier.

Oh, like the J-20? Did not think that through very well did you?

Russia lacks an advanced machine tool industry and stealthy saw-toothed doors are beyond her current technological capability.

I’m pretty sure Russia has more advanced machining tools that China, Russia imports machining tools from Germany which are considered the finest in the world. So once again your claim backfired…

A canopy does not need to be gold, example F-35 and SU-35. Further, the J-20 has no gold canopy. I can also find pictures of the F-16, Rafale, ect that appear to have gold hues but it is nothing more than good lighting, atmospheric conditions, and camera angle.

Again a canopy does not need to be gold, and if you did your homework the Mig-31 has a gold canopy and even the A-6 had one. One again fail on your part.

This is ridiculous beyond words. By this logic the F-22 has to be a copy of the F-15 right? Beside the pak-fa and the SU-30 having a canopy that sits high on the upper fuselage that than recedes I see no similarities. The two design has different designs, one being canted and the other not being canted, one being thin, the other being wide. Do you see where I’m getting at.

By the way ladies and gentlemen the J-20 must be an upgraded J-10 because the canopies and rear fuselage are similar, so there you have it, according to Martian the J-20 is just an evolution of the J-10.

By the way look that the side profile of the J-20, it is bloated to say the least. Compared that the flat pak-fa side profile. What Martian is trying to do is twist things around by claiming that the pak-fa’s fuselage behind the canopy must be poor for stealth because it sits high, thus it must be a problem, yet if you compare the J-20 from the side you will see a fatty that makes the F-35 look thin and elegant.

As I say every time, Boeing must be lying when they said that the frontal profile of the F-15 Silent Eagle can match the F-35. Again picking and choosing, if Boeing makes a claim that destroys your argument they must be liars if some no name blog makes a claim that makes the J-20 look good and or makes the pak-fa look bad that it has to be the truth.

Not only is Boeing liars but so are defense analysts.

I don't Know If he know about this...

SU-47large.jpg

6.jpg

And this...

img.php

su-30mkk2_01.jpg

And this...

mikoyan_mig_mfi.jpg

mikoyan_mig_mfi_l3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom