Reaction score
Country
India
Success on debut for K-4 undersea launch of missile
Published May 8, 2014 | By admin
SOURCE : THE HINDU

Shourya_sept2011590.jpg

FILE PICTURE OF K-15 SLBM

The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight-tested an underwater-launched missile called K-4 with a range of about 3,000 km on March 24.

The launch took place from a pontoon submerged more than 30 metres deep in the sea off the Visakhapatnam coast. After a powerful gas generator ejected it from the pontoon submerged in the Bay of Bengal, the K-4 missile rose into the air, took a turn towards the designated target, sped across 3,000 km in the sky and dropped into the Indian Ocean. What has made the DRDO missile technologists happy is that the mission was successful in K-4’s maiden flight. The two-stage missile will carry nuclear warheads, forming the lethal payload of India’s nuclear-powered submarines, which are under construction.

“It was an excellent flight on March 24. The K-4 missile travelled a little more than 3,000 km,” informed sources said. “We will do many more missions to prove the missile’s sub-systems and increase their reliability.”

India is the fifth country in the world to have a missile launched underwater.

The sources described K-4 as “the proud successor” of the K-15 underwater-launched missile, codenamed B-05. Nearly 10 development trials of K-15 missile have already been completed from pontoons submerged in the Bay of Bengal over the past few years.

Good. Next we need a 5000+ km SLBM.

The K-4 is the true form of credible second-strike capability. Neither the BrahMos/Klub sub-laucnhed cruise
missiles (300km) or the K-15 quasi-BM (750+ km) can really pass off as a viable 2nd strike capability.

With K-4, we can secure a true 2nd strike capability against Pakistan. Against China,
we'll need the sea-launch ICBM otherwise known as K-5.

Well done DRDO

But why no video, pic of that launch.

Yaar padosiyo ko janake ka achcha mouka hai... :lol:

Wow...DRDO is showing lots of improvement this days :woot: Anybody please share some videos and pics here :devil:

It was an excellent flight on March 24. The K-4 missile travelled a little more than 3,000 km,” informed sources said. .
:woot: i see something hidden about actual range......or may be case of payload variation.

Success on debut for K-4 undersea launch of missile
Published May 8, 2014 | By admin
SOURCE : THE HINDU

Shourya_sept2011590.jpg

FILE PICTURE OF K-15 SLBM

The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight-tested an underwater-launched missile called K-4 with a range of about 3,000 km on March 24.

The launch took place from a pontoon submerged more than 30 metres deep in the sea off the Visakhapatnam coast. After a powerful gas generator ejected it from the pontoon submerged in the Bay of Bengal, the K-4 missile rose into the air, took a turn towards the designated target, sped across 3,000 km in the sky and dropped into the Indian Ocean. What has made the DRDO missile technologists happy is that the mission was successful in K-4’s maiden flight. The two-stage missile will carry nuclear warheads, forming the lethal payload of India’s nuclear-powered submarines, which are under construction.

“It was an excellent flight on March 24. The K-4 missile travelled a little more than 3,000 km,” informed sources said. “We will do many more missions to prove the missile’s sub-systems and increase their reliability.”

India is the fifth country in the world to have a missile launched underwater.

The sources described K-4 as “the proud successor” of the K-15 underwater-launched missile, codenamed B-05. Nearly 10 development trials of K-15 missile have already been completed from pontoons submerged in the Bay of Bengal over the past few years.

I think the picture is of Shaurya (land based missile) of the K family and not K-5 SLBM.

I think the picture is of Shaurya (land based missile) of the K family and not K-5 SLBM.

I think u meant to say K-15 n not K-5 missile.:)

Besides though i agree with what u said but it doesn't matter much as both r just different versions of the same missile n carry the similar cap distinctive feature :

K-15+Submarine+Missile+Image.png

took a turn towards the designated target? Is this missile a BM or Quasi BM?

took a turn towards the designated target? Is this missile a BM or Quasi BM?

I read it somewhere K- family of missiles doesn't leave the earth's atmosphere. These are quasi-ballistic missiles and can also be termed as hypersonic cruise missile upto some extent.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom