What's new

Subsonic cruise missile ‘Nirbhay’ successfully test-fired from ITR

aanshu001

Reaction score

The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) on Monday successfully test fired the underdevelopment long range subsonic cruise missile Nirbhay from the Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur in Odisha.

“It is the sixth development flight trial with objective to prove the repeatability of boost phase, cruise phase using way point navigation at very low altitudes,” DRDO said in a statement adding the missile demonstrated its sea-skimming capability to cruise at very low altitudes.

Nirbhay has a range of 1000 km and can fly very low to the ground to avoid detection by enemy radar called terrain hugging capability. “During today’s test, the missile demonstrated the terrain hugging capability by covered way-points as low as 5 m to maximum 2.5 km (altitude),” a defence source said.

At each waypoint the altitude was varied and it had a sustained flight at different altitudes including at 5m. “It was tested upto a range of 700 km,” the source stated.

Was this test with domestic engine? If I am not mistaken Nirbhay with Russian engine has already entered service.

Was this test with domestic engine? If I am not mistaken Nirbhay with Russian engine has already entered service.

Mk1 versions have entered service though it was not supposed to. Last year border skirmish forced govt planners to induct them with whatever number we had.
The forces have only planned to induct them with Indian engine. And the last few tests have been taking place with Indian engine only. Navigation, terrain hugging, accuracy were already tested.
I think in either one or two more tests there would be user trials test. Should be inducted in numbers before 2025. After initial failures they are shaping up.

Back
Top Bottom