SUBMARINE PURCHASE: Dhaka finalises deals with Beijing

Avisheik

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
SUBMARINE PURCHASE
Dhaka finalises deals with Beijing

Shakhawat Hossain

Bangladesh has finalized a deal to buy two submarines from China, officials said.
The ships would strengthen the Bangladesh Navy protecting the country’s resources in the Bay, they said.
The state-to-state deal would cost Bangladesh Tk 1,600 crore or US$203.3 million to procure the two Ming class submarines, they said.
The type 035G diesel-electric run submarines are scheduled to be delivered in 2019.
The allocation sought by the Armed Forces Division in this connection awaits finance ministry approval.
Bangladesh Navy plans to make the payments to China’s state-owned suppliers from the current fiscal to 2017-18, said officials.
Armed Forces Division principal staff officer Lieutenant General Abu Belal Muhammad Shafiul Huq
said in January that the deal to procure the submarines were under negotiation.
Around 17 Bangladesh Navy sailors are receiving training on how to operate submarines.
The Navy acquired land in Kutubdia Island in Cox’s Bazaar to set up a submarine base.
Bangladesh Navy needs to deploy submarines to safeguard the country’s interests in its waters, Dhaka University international relations professor Imtiyaz Ahmed told New Age.
Dhaka finalises deals with Beijing

The submarines were made in the 1990s. It does not have have much capability when compared to newer submarines, however, considering the fact that our navy does not have much teeth yet, its addition is appreciated.

Finally beginning of a underwater fleet has started:cheers:

BD navy should have asked us to build AIP augostas for them. Or should have ordered newer subs from China with AIP.

This is complete waste of money and tie up funds so that Bangladesh navy can not build real capability. Same tactics had been applied in air force where there are way more trainers procured than actual aircraft or force capability.

Although there are some folks who are willing jump with any toy without considering fact if that toy worth anything facing threats.

BD navy should have asked us to build AIP augostas for them. Or should have ordered newer subs from China with AIP.

I think cost of submarine is the main concern for bangladesh navy. We are getting these for $100 mil each, a agosta would have cost us a fortune. Agree with you on the last part, would have preferred song class instead of ming.

2019 is a long way off.
BTW Type-35G is a old design based on the old soviet romeo subs.

At least its confirmed we will be getting submarines. Yep it gives of high-level acoustic signature, very easy to detect by enemy forces. Its only useful for patrolling and training purposes.

these subs will serve as training platform.most probably they'll procure something more lethal to actually serve the navy.

Haseena trying to appease the Chinese and also tie up funds for future modernization to satisfy her delhi masters.

I think cost of submarine is the main concern for bangladesh navy. We are getting these for $100 mil each, a agosta would have cost us a fortune. Agree with you on the last part, would have preferred song class instead of ming.

To be honest i hope that these subs are 'training vessels' as their 'combat capability' is next to zero.

I'd rather have one Augosta with AIP then having five of these.

BD navy could have gone for the new song class. Looks like someone in BAL govt is trying to make a buck by buying these cold war junk subs.

To be honest i hope that these subs are 'training vessels' as their 'combat capability' is next to zero.

BD navy could have gone for the new song class. Looks like someone in BAL govt is trying to make a buck by buying these cold war junk subs.

Haha these subs will be used for training as well as ego stroking.

There was a lot of rumor and hope that BD was going for song class(it was frequently mentioned along with ming), but alas we had to settle for this.

As far as i know(i might be wrong) there was no official interest by BD navy for any modern submarines. The other country they courted was italy for sauro class sub which is quite old as well(deal fell through though).

If there was someone from the government getting bribes for buying these vessels they could have atleast bought a more modern sub.

This is the height of stupidity, putting painstakingly trained sailors on a 50 year old design. Most mings around the world have been replaced.

China is developing a new sub with AIP. Even one of them would have been enough.

Pakistan can train your submarine staff if your govt wants.

Is Pakistan licenced to build and sell AIP Augostas to a third country? What benefit would Bangladesh would get from buying it from Pakistan instead of France?

Back
Top Bottom