What's new

Sub-par power yield leaves Arihant drifting in deep sea of delay

ashok321

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...ter-maintaining-years-of-secrecy-1529359.html

INS_Arihant_3.jpg

NEW DELHI: The country’S first indigenously developed nuclear submarine Arihant will soon be unveiled after years of secrecy. Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to visit Visakhapatnam for its formal commissioning and dedicate it to the nation at the Eastern Naval Command, according to a top government official.

But before its operational deployment, its developers are struggling to fix a critical issue in its pressurised water reactor, which has not been able to generate adequate power for the submarine’s functioning.

According to sources, the nuclear-powered submarine was inducted into the fleet a few days back, but its commissioning is yet to happen before it’s formally put on operational deployment in the deep sea.

Explaining further, an official said a warship requires a flag and pennant number before being commissioned into service, while induction is only its entry into the service.

“There will soon be an opportunity to talk about Arihant,” vice admiral G S Pabby said while indicating a formal announcement is to be made soon.

The 6,000-tonne Arihant is armed with nuclear-tipped ballistic missiles and will be the third leg of the ‘triad’ of land, air and sea-launched nuclear weapons envisaged by India’s nuclear doctrine of 1998. In 2013, the nuclear reactor of the submarine went ‘critical’ and from December 2014 onwards, the sea trials began, which included the test firing of K-series of missiles.

But since then, its 83 MW pressurised light-water reactor at its core, developed with extensive assistance from the Russia, has been facing multiple technical glitches.

A top official said its pressurised water reactor has not been synchronised with other vital systems. And because of it, the reactor has not been able to generate the ‘required’ power to operate the submarine.

“Synchronization of its pressurised water reactor to other key systems was a tricky job. Its configuration to generate 83 MW nuclear energy has not been successfully done, resulting in repeated delays in its operational deployment,” said a top defence source.

A joint team of Russian and Indian scientists has been actively working round-the-clock to fix the critical issue.

So this is the reason for not commissioning the vessel!

Last edited:
Without adequate power, the submarine is a dud!

But before its operational deployment, its developers are struggling to fix a critical issue in its pressurised water reactor, which has not been able to generate adequate power for the submarine’s functioning.

Issues do arise in indigenous projects. Though who have brought the project to this point wud surely know how to fix this issue.

Issues do arise in indigenous projects. Though who have brought the project to this point wud surely know how to fix this issue.
No Issue As of Know

Main Word Is here is Synchronization

Synchronization of its pressurised water reactor to other key systems was a tricky job. Its configuration to generate 83 MW nuclear energy has not been successfully done, resulting in repeated delays in its operational deployment,” said a top defence source.

A joint team of Russian and Indian scientists has been actively working round-the-clock to fix the critical issue.

PS: There No Authentic Source of this News yet
this what Indian express Reported day back
http://indianexpress.com/article/in...b-reportedly-inducted-to-complete-nuke-triad/

Typical poster mentalities:

What? India had issues regarding their first nuclear submarine during trials??. What a bunch of dodos. Good for Nothing people. I mean R&D means getting whatever is being offered and paint it green, right?. And deploy with 0 defects.

Now now, I get that its all fixed and being put into operation. I get it. But that doesn't mean we can post about their previous failures and mask my insecurities about their advancements. And also, I will eat grass and buy one for me also.

They are a nation with 20% of worlds poorest and should use money to feed the poor. And should not be playing supa dupa powaar things. And no, I don't care if they are in G20 or if each year they are pulling millions out of poverty.

I remember How Indian Express has repeatedly Created False news about Failures which were ACTUALLY Fully successful. Same Happened for BMD Tests as well.

I dont know what motive IE has in reportinf Failures better than the Real Successes.

Lol this dickh@#ds dont even have a proper pic of arihant but they claimed from sources.lol

Back
Top Bottom