What's new

Studio Ghibli Hayao Miyazaki's new movie "How do you live?" breaks "Spirited Away"'s record with no advertisement

Yahoo news link: https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/edf189864c9c63b6d60da3a17ea094f19b1e1463
1689670058305.png

Ghibli's new movie "How do you live?" Exceeded 2.14 billion yen in 4 days of release​

Toho announced on the 18th the box-office information for the first feature film in 10 years directed by Hayao Miyazaki (* Hatsusaki Saki) of Studio Ghibli , which was released on the 14th. 1.35 million spectators and box office revenue exceeded 2.14 billion yen. According to Toho, this figure is "a record that exceeds the box office revenue in the first four days of the 2001 release of the same director's work ' Spirited Away ' (final box office revenue of 31.68 billion yen)."
The original layout of "How do you live? "It has made a good start with more than 150% of the box office revenue. The work, which was screened in 441 theaters nationwide (usually: 384 + Dolby Cinema: 9 + IMAX: 48), attracted attention with its unusual advertisement that did not announce any trailers or cast information, let alone the plot of the story until it was released. Regarding this, Studio Ghibli's producer Toshio Suzuki has set an "unusual publicity policy" for Ghibli works so far, "not revealing the contents of the movie in advance", and when it is released, only the cast and theme song information will be released. announcement. The voice actor for the main character is Souma Yamatoki, and the cast includes Masaki Suda, Kou Shibasaki, Aimyon, Yoshino Kimura, Takuya Kimura (special appearance), Keiko Takeshita, Jun Fubuki, Sawako Agawa, Karen Takizawa, and Shinobura Otake. , The theme song is Kenshi Yonezu's "Earth Globe", and the music is by Joe Hisaishi. Director Miyazaki declared his retirement from feature-length animation after the release of his previous work, The Wind Rises (released on July 20, 2013), but he withdrew his retirement after planning the same work about seven years ago. Hayao Miyazaki is in charge of the "original work, screenplay, and direction," and the title is borrowed from Genzaburo Yoshino's book "How do you live?" Initial box office revenue of major hits in recent years ・"The Super Mario Bros. Movie" released 1,276,000 spectators in 3 days, box office revenue 1,843 million yen ・"Detective Conan Black Iron Fish Shadow" released 2,176,407 spectators in 3 days, box office revenue 3,146,387,340 yen ・"THE FIRST SLAM DUNK" released 847,000 spectators in 2 days, box office revenue 1,296 million yen ・"Sparrow's door lock" released 1,331,081 spectators in 3 days, box office revenue 1,884,215,620 yen (final box office revenue 14,790 million yen) ・"ONE PIECE FILM RED" released 1,570,000 people in 2 days, box office revenue 2,250 million yen ( Final box office gross of 197.
This is the power.
When other companies spend millions of dollars to advertisement, Hayao Miyazaki just releases a movie without any trailer, image or even teaser and breaks the record. This is a huge breath of fresh air of modern spoil-everything trailer.

I hope other companies learn, the new stage of advertisement - NO ADVERTISEMENT.
Can't wait to see it in Vienam's cinema.

Japan's anime production continues to lead again.

Last edited:
Not sure if you understand English, I'm saying Ranma 1/2 is much older show and 90s kids can watch them since then, it's an absolute classic.
And while there is some time travel, the main conflict is Ranma in modern days with his lovers/fiance (Akane, Shampoo, Ukyo) and rivals (Ryoga, Mousse, Kuno, Happosai) in martial arts.
The romance between Akane and Ranma are the main leads, but it's not the main catch of the show.

I think you need to read the manga or watch the show and then make judgement since it seems you don't know/remember it.

Funnily enough, Ranma does have one Jin Yong references, the Ultimate Sadness fist used by Yang Guo is also a martial art technique in Ranma 1/2, the sadder you are, the stronger your fist.

EDIT: Posting the best Ranma 1/2 song, still the GOAT all these years:
I'm not sure I understand your Viet logic. If Ranma is THAT old that makes it even more UNLIKELY for any Chinese to like it, which is what discussion all about why Chinese like Inuyasha over Ranma.

Tsk tsk, like the guy who continues to brag about ICE cars in modern age. Jin Yong is DEAD man, literally and figuratively. The HIP thing not kung fu fights anymore BUT superpowers between Immortals and GODS in Xianxia works!

I'm not sure I understand your Viet logic. If Ranma is THAT old that makes it even more UNLIKELY for any Chinese to like it, which is what discussion all about why Chinese like Inuyasha over Ranma.

Tsk tsk, like the guy who continues to brag about ICE cars in modern age. Jin Yong is DEAD man, literally and figuratively. The HIP thing not kung fu fights anymore BUT superpowers between Immortals and GODS in Xianxia works!

I don't care about Ranma, but I love Jin Yong's work the most. It is a pity that there is only a handful Chinese modern Xianxia / Wuxia literature that can equal his work.

So 90s chinese don't exist? LOL. I am a 90s Viet in my 30.

Anyway the chinese are still making Jin Yong shows, movies all over.

I don't care about Ranma, but I love Jin Yong's work the most. It is a pity that there is only a handful Chinese modern Xianxia / Wuxia literature that can equal his work.
So true, that's why his works keep getting adapted.
I tried a bunch of korean/chinese wuxia manga and none of them come close to the style of japanese manga and the old HK TVB shows.

Tbh, the only media that has tried to reference Jin Yong's attitude and wuxia battlescenes successfully outside of TVB shows is the eroge Kikokugai: the Cyber slayer with its clear divide between technique-focus and internal energy-focus.

Actually I don't get the popularity of Spirited Away. It has great music and maybe that's it. I prefer Castle in the Sky and Grave of the Fireflies.

I like this remake:

I loved every Hayao Miyazaki movie ever made - especially Castle in the Sky.

That man is a genius! Lifetime Fan. His magic is not because he does superior anime, but because he somehow makes his characters come to life combined with the score and music. It is special.

Stories about sea fishes and teen witches never appealed to universal audiences before he worked his magic. The stories about nature's power and all-encompassing influence over our lives (which we often underestimate - witness global warming) is a recurring theme in almost all his anime movies. Not only that - but the sensitivity with which he treats his protagonists is very heartwarming to watch.

He also knows how to train his animators well. I have watched a lot of documentaries on him.

Will be sad when he's gone. He went through so many negative situations - yet came up with wine and roses.

May the Lord bless his soul.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom