What's new

Strategic Plans Division (SPD)

Pakistan today conducted successful flight test of Shaheen 1A surface to surface ballistic missile. The test flight was aimed at re-validating certain design and technical parameters of the weapon system.

Director General Strategic Plans Division congratulated scientists and engineers on successful conduct of flight test. He appreciated the technical prowess, dedication and commitment of scientists and engineers for their excellent contribution.

Pakistan conducts a successful flight test of Shaheen1A surface to surface ballistic missile.

The flight test was witnessed by Lt General Nadeem Zaki Manj,
Director General Strategic Plans Division (DG SPD),

1637864365007.png

1637864387085.png

1637864409795.png

1637864425942.png

Strategic Plans Division

It is headed by a three-star army general officer. It is established in the Joint Services Headquarters under the CJCSC to act as the Secretariat for the NCA and perform functions relating to planning, coordination, and establishment of a reliable command, control, communication, computers, and intelligence network (C4I).

It is responsible for formulating policy options (nuclear policy, strategy, and doctrine) for the NCA, implementing the NCA’s decisions, drafting strategic and operational plans for the deployment of strategic forces. Moreover, the SPD carries out the day-to-day management of Pakistan’s strategic forces, coordinates the activities of the different strategic organizations involved in the nuclear weapons program, and oversees budgetary, administrative, and security matters.

The SPD has eight directorates—including the Operations and Planning Directorate, the Computerized, Control, Command, Communication, Information, Intelligence and Surveillance Directorate (C4ISD), Strategic Weapons Development Directorate, and the Arms Control and Disarmament Affairs Directorate, Security division, which has a 25,000 strong force charged with guarding and protecting Pakistan’s nuclear weapons.

The Services’ Strategic Forces Command

The Services Strategic Forces Command is raised from all the three services (Army, Navy, and Airforce), which all have their respective strategic force commands. It is responsible for daily and tactical operational control of nuclear weapon delivery systems (the NCA is still responsible for overall strategic operational control). This operational control includes technical, training, and administrative control over missiles and delivery systems that would be used to deliver nuclear weapons.

Army Strategic Forces Command (ASFC)

• It Commands all land-based strategic nuclear forces with an estimated number of 12,000–15,000 persons.
  • It has 60+ Surface-To-Surface Missile Launchers, 30 Ghauri Nuclear Medium Range Ballistic Missiles, 30+ Nuclear Short Range Ballistic Missiles: Ghaznavi, Abdali, Nasr series.
  • Nuclear Ground Launch Cruise Missile: Babur
Air Force Strategic Command (AFSC)

It operates the aircraft capable of delivering nuclear warheads. Moreover, AFSC operates all the air launched nuclear weapons. It mainly consists of F-16A/B/C/D and Mirage 5 combat aircrafts. Pakistan intends to incorporate the dual-capable Ra’ad Air Launched Cruise Missile (ALCM) onto the JF-17 in order to allow the newer aircraft to eventually take over the nuclear strike role. Pakistan is getting about 36 J-10CE fighter jets from China. It is assumed that Raad ALCM may be fitted with newly acquired J-10CE fighter jets.

Naval Strategic Force Command (NSFC)

NSFC was formally established on May 19, 2012, and has worked to develop a sea-based nuclear deterrent, which guarantees Pakistan’s second-strike capability. On January 9, 2017, ISPR announced that Pakistan had successfully launched its first successful test-fire of submarine-launched cruise missile SLCM (Babur-3), providing Pakistan with the second-strike capability. Presently, Pakistan Navy does not own a nuclear-powered submarine.

Pakistan Navy, however, has three (3) French-built Agosta 90B-class submarines that are powered by diesel-electric engines. The Pakistan Navy is likely to place nuclear-tipped cruise missiles on these submarines. Moreover, Pakistan signed a deal with China to buy eight Chinese Type 039C diesel-electric attack submarines that can be equipped with nuclear weapons.

Presently, Pakistan is capable to strike its adversary by land, air, and sea. The nuclear triad enhances Pakistan’s retaliatory capability or assured second-strike proficiency. Undeniably, the assured second-strike capability stabilizes and endures nuclear deterrence stability in a complex cum volatile strategic environment.

Pakistani Nuclear tipped Missiles: A Threat to India

Pakistan is considered as a country having most sophisticated missile technology in the world. Starting from Hatf-IV, which is a short range missile, to Babur-III Submarine Launch Cruise Missile, Pakistani missiles are a continuous threat to it’s arch rival, India. These missiles serves a symbol of deterrence. Combination of these missiles with nuclear warheads have a capability to strike deep inside India.

Here a list of all nuclear tipped missiles is given:

Hatf-I

• Type: Short-range ballistic missile
  • Launch platform: transport erector launcher (TEL)
  • Range: 80-100 Kilometers
  • Warhead: 500 kilograms
  • Fuel: solid
  • Stage: single
  • Origin: SUPARCO

Hatf-II (Abdali)

• Launch platform: transport erector launcher (TEL)
  • Range: 180 Kilometers
  • Warhead: 450 kilograms
  • Stage: single
  • Origin: SUPARCO & NESCOM

Hatf-III (Ghaznavi)

• Launch platform:
  • Range: 290 kilometers
  • Warhead: 700 kilograms
  • Launch weight: 4650 kilograms
  • Origin: PMO & NESCOM

Hatf-IV (Shaheen-I)

• Range: 750 kilometers
  • Warhead: 850 kilograms
  • Fuel: Solid
  • Origin: NDC & NESCOM

Hatf-IV (Shaheen-IA)

• Type: medium-range ballistic missile
  • Range: 900 kilometers
  • Warhead: 700-1000 kilograms
  • Fuel: Solid

Hatf-V (Ghauri)

• Type: Medium-range ballistic missile
  • Range: 1300 kilometers
  • Launch platform: Transport Erecter Launcher (TEL)
  • Warhead: 700 kilograms (Conventional/Nuclear)
  • Fuel: liquid
  • Stage: single stage
  • CEP: Below 100 meters
  • Origin: KRL & NESCOM

Hatf-VI (Shaheen-II)

• Type: Medium range ballistic missile
  • Range: 1500 kilometers
  • Origin: NESCOM & NDC
  • Stage: 2 stages

Shaheen-III

• Type: Medium-range ballistic missile
  • Range: 2750 Kilometers

Babur-1A

• Type: Ground Launch Cruise Missile
  • Range: 450 kilometers

Babur-III

• Type: Submarine Launched Cruise Missile
  • Launch platform: Agosta 90-B (Khalid-class submarines)
  • Range: 450 kilometers

Hatf-VIII (Raad-II)

• Type: Air Launch Cruise Missile
  • Launch platform: Mirage-III
  • Range: 600 Kilometers
  • Warhead: 500 Kilograms
  • Length: 4.85 meters
  • Origin: NDC & AWC & NESCOM

Hatf-IX (Nasr)

• Type: Battlefield range ballistic missile
  • Launch platform: Transport Erector Launcher (TEL)
  • Range: 70 Kilometers
  • Warhead: Nuclear & Conventional
  • Origin: NESCOM

HQ-16 LOMAD Air Defence System, Pakistan Army Air Defence being displayed at IDEAS 2022...

1668524370225.png

320619194_688820746205064_4998941576043172416_n.jpg

Lt Gen Yusuf Jamal, Director General Strategic Plans Divison
🇵🇰

Previously, he served as DG NLC and was appointed as DG SPD in Oct 2022.

What could possibly go wrong? :D
RPGs are missiles and they have fired them. There is military training - what else is needed to manage an organization tasked with servicing, deploying and advancing nuclear and other special weapon’s systems?

After all, he will have the top SME clamoring to work under him.

But, the USAF had its most transformative phase in the 90’s when a full Transport guy from the now dissolved Military Air Command was leading it… so you never know

RPGs are missiles and they have fired them. There is military training - what else is needed to manage an organization tasked with servicing, deploying and advancing nuclear and other special weapon’s systems?

After all, he will have the top SME clamoring to work under him.

But, the USAF had its most transformative phase in the 90’s when a full Transport guy from the now dissolved Military Air Command was leading it… so you never know

Of course. It is just a bigger bang. Anything USA can do, Pakistan can do too, obviously. Hum kissi se kam to nahi.

Of course. It is just a bigger bang. Anything USA can do, Pakistan can do too, obviously. Hum kissi se kam to nahi.
And that isn’t a sarcastic aspect - you and I made it here from nothing and I would say for myself pretty well. What is missing is cultural environment to enable that.

And that isn’t a sarcastic aspect - you and I made it here from nothing and I would say for myself pretty well. What is missing is cultural environment to enable that.

No sarcasm there. I may or may not know a few things about this talented young General, but I am not at liberty to discuss them. All I can say here is that he is a good choice for this role.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom