What's new

Strange death of Sufism!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope this doesn’t upset anyone.
Apologies upfront.

But I want to know why were the Wahabis allowed to destroy Sufism in South Asia and beyond.

Our forefathers and those who brought Islam to our shores were Sufis.

One of the most disgusting acts perpetrated under the last BNP government was the attack on Sufi shrines.

The Americans of course funded the jihadists and co-opted them to fight communism. Wahabis of course hate Sufis because they are enlightened and challenge backward thinking.

How can Sufism regain its primacy in South Asia and beat back the Wahabis?

Don't know about Bangladesh but Sufi centric sects are already in the majority

But they do have some issues that they need to reform in order to make a comeback into the mainstream again
I prefer them over a Wahabi centric school of thought but at the same time that doesn't mean they're perfect, in many areas they became worse, and Wahabis reformed

What happened to the Sufi sect was global in nature - it happened in the Arab world, it happened in south Asia, it happened in Waziristan too
So not a unique phenomenon (although it'll be interesting to know why it happened in the 20th century)
all the localized Sufi sects of their particular regions were somewhat mainstreamed

Last edited:
Apologies upfront.

But I want to know why were the Wahabis allowed to destroy Sufism in South Asia and beyond.

One of the most disgusting acts perpetrated under the last BNP government was the attack on Sufi shrines.

The Americans of course funded the jihadists and co-opted them to fight communism. Wahabis of course hate Sufis because they are enlightened and challenge backward thinking.

Because Sunni Sufism and Wahabism are not that different as you think.

Historically many frontier generals and warriors were sunni sufis. Because of some strange reason, sufis recently got the aura of being muslim hare krishnas. Which historically, is very far from the truth.

Because Sunni Sufism and Wahabism are not that different as you think.

Historically many frontier generals and warriors were sunni sufis. Because of some strange reason, sufis recently got the aura of being muslim hare krishnas. Which historically, is very far from the truth.
I don’t consider Wahhabism a branch of Sunni.

It’s a cult like the Christian Opus Dei.

It’s a cult created by a madman whose name it bears!

I don’t consider Wahhabism a branch of Sunni.

It’s a cult like the Christian Opus Dei.

It’s a cult created by a madman whose name it bears!

The main difference lies in inconoclasm, which wahabism is carrier of. Wahabism in strict sense is extreme orthodoxy, which explains why it originated in Arabian Peninsula and not forexample Persia. Wahabism also has sub-categories if i understand correct. Some of them are very close to Kawarij doctrines while others are not that different from Sufis.

Mostly down to interpretation

Sufism is not associated with Hanafi Fiqh and Sufis are found in all fiqh. Regardless what tariqah/silsila one is following, he or she must have clear and strong on Aqeedah.

Barelvis is Pakistan have destroyed true Sufism because of their Aqeedah.

With due respect to everyones opinion and madhabs in islam, with advancement of science sufi mysticism cant answer questions that Salafis can. If you look at religious debates between us and christian missionaries, athists or jews, you will see what kind of questions we face and it will be very difficult to answer with mysticism in this age of science.
I follow debates of Adnan Rashid, ustad Seikh Uthman on youtube, a great watch, both originated from pakistan but great debaters and scholars on comparative religion.

You will find salafie movement are more evidence based and try to follow the roots of islams as it tries to follow what sahabies did or noted that later saints or imams so appealing to masses. So with information availability to more people like me are moving towards the core.

Allah only gave us one religion and madhabs are openions of great imams and hope it all brings us to jannah.

The main difference lies in inconoclasm, which wahabism is carrier of. Wahabism in strict sense is extreme orthodoxy, which explains why it originated in Arabian Peninsula and not forexample Persia. Wahabism also has sub-categories if i understand correct. Some of them are very close to Kawarij doctrines while others are not that different from Sufis.

Mostly down to interpretation
do you mean the other sect being salafi ?

Apologies upfront.

You are a funny guy, with UK flags and a low post count, plus a dubious account name.

If the Salafis, Ahle-E-Hadith, and Deobandis are not the mainstream Orthodox Sunnis, then who are?

What is the correct interpretation of Sunni Islam. Can you please clarify.

Show me in Qur'an and Hadith where it says to practice Sufism?

Back
Top Bottom