What's new

Sri Lanka raises rail speed with Indian help

Veeru

BANNED
Reaction score
Sri Lanka raises rail speed with Indian help

Feb 16, 2011 (LBO) - Sri Lanka inaugurated a rail track on the south coast upgraded with Indian aid to enable train speeds of up to 100 kilometres an hour, reducing travel time, Wednesday, a statement said.
The Galle-Matara track of 42 kilometres has been up-graded by India's state-owned IRCON to world standards, the Indian high commission said.

The project is the first phase of the overall coastal rail project between the capital Colombo and Matara being done with an Indian government loan of 167.40 million US dollars to rebuild areas affected by a tsunami.

"The work on phase-II of the project from Galle to Kalutara (just south of Colombo) has already commenced and would be completed early next year," the statement said.

IRCON is also doing several other rail projects as part of the government of India’s rehabilitation and reconstruction support in the north of the island.

India has offered a credit line of 800 million dollars for reconstruction of the railway system in the north after the island's 30-year ethnic war ended in 2009.

Lanka Business Online

Sri Lanka raises rail speed with Indian help - LANKA BUSINESS ONLINE

India-backed railway project inaugurated in Sri Lanka

Colombo, Feb 16 (IANS) Over six years after devastating tsunami severely damaged a coastal railway, the new refurbished Galle-Matara network, sponsored by the Indian government, was inaugurated here in Sri Lanka Wednesday.

A press release of the Indian High Commission in Sri Lanka said that Indian envoy Ashok K. Kantha attended the inauguration of Galle-Matara railway with Sri Lankan Minister for Transport Kumar Welgama.

The coastal link was damaged by the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami, which washed away parts of the tracks and also train carriages to the sea.

The 42-km railway line was upgraded by Indian state firm, Ircon, so that the train could reach a top speed of 100 km per hour - the fastest for Sri Lankan railways.

This railway link represents phase one of the coastal rail project from Colombo to Matara. The second phase, from Galle to Kalutara, is set to be completed early next year.

The entire project is being financed by India's line of credit worth $167.40 million.

The Indian envoy said that India 'was committed to working with the government of Sri Lanka towards the consolidation of peace, prosperity and development in Sri Lanka and for the further enrichment of our bilateral ties'.

India-backed railway project inaugurated in Sri Lanka

I hope it will help people of Sri Lanka. :cheers:

Long live India - Sri Lanka Friendship.

First of all, Thank you for the support which has given by India. :tup:

But SL Railway Union Says different story.

Sri Lanka's New "High-speed" Track a Total Failure: Railway Union Says
Thu, 17 February 2011 06:25
20110217_01.jpg

(NIDAHASA News) Newly launched Sri Lanka's first "high-speed" locomotive is not truly high-speed, Railway Employees' Common Union says.

The refurbished Galle-Matara railway line, which claimed to be capable of 100 KmpH speed, was opened on Thursday (16) by Transport Minister. However according to union, the first train as well as test train recorded only 80 KmpH even without passengers, union said.

"Both Ruhunu Kumari and Galu Kumari trains recorded the normal speed on new track." Union said claiming this as another failed project of government.

Meanwhile People's Lubrication Front (JVP) parliamentarian in a press conference said that the new track could only speed up trains by 6 minutes with a cost of 3600 million Rupees.

The track which was devastated by the 2004 Asian tsunami was re-done with a 3600 million Rupees Indian loan.

---------

Anyway those trains are from China, track equipments from Italy, track upgrading done by India. And yea, it's "Sri Lankan Railway" ;)

why are the trains so slow in Sri Lanka?

I did not even know that 80 or 100kmph trains exist in 2011

Newly launched Sri Lanka's first "high-speed" locomotive is not truly high-speed, Railway Employees' Common Union says.

Well, technical definition of High Speed Railway as given by the UIC says it should be over 200 kmph. But that costs a LOT, and India doesn't even have the technology.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Errr, all trains in Pakistan run at the same speed...

Most of our railway tracks haven't upgraded for decades even we have new engines from China.

The Indian and Sri Lankan Railways do not have the Super Modern Chinese Locomotives like the Pakistan Railway has and so the Sri Lankan and Indian Trains are muhch slower in speed than those of the Pakistan Railway Trains.

First of all, Thank you for the support which has given by India. :tup:

But SL Railway Union Says different story.

Sri Lanka's New "High-speed" Track a Total Failure: Railway Union Says
Thu, 17 February 2011 06:25
20110217_01.jpg

(NIDAHASA News) Newly launched Sri Lanka's first "high-speed" locomotive is not truly high-speed, Railway Employees' Common Union says.

The refurbished Galle-Matara railway line, which claimed to be capable of 100 KmpH speed, was opened on Thursday (16) by Transport Minister. However according to union, the first train as well as test train recorded only 80 KmpH even without passengers, union said.

"Both Ruhunu Kumari and Galu Kumari trains recorded the normal speed on new track." Union said claiming this as another failed project of government.

Meanwhile People's Lubrication Front (JVP) parliamentarian in a press conference said that the new track could only speed up trains by 6 minutes with a cost of 3600 million Rupees.

The track which was devastated by the 2004 Asian tsunami was re-done with a 3600 million Rupees Indian loan.

---------

Anyway those trains are from China, track equipments from Italy, track upgrading done by India. And yea, it's "Sri Lankan Railway" ;)

are u sure those a re china made trains...?

And atleast do u think India helped a bit...?

I for one am glad to see India has decided to join China's efforts in building better infrastructures for Sri Lanka, to the benefit of the people. In any case, For India, financing railway is a much needed change and improvement than financing Tamil separatists and terrorists. I applaud the new area of Sino-Indo cooperation in this regard, and I hope India will do for than just rehabilitating 42 km of railway . :welcome:

are u sure those a re china made trains...?

And atleast do u think India helped a bit...?

Yep, most of recently bought trains are from China.

hey, I'm not anti-Indian! I have first thanked to India for the support they have given. As soon as you see China you bold it. Cool down dear friend!

Back
Top Bottom