What's new

Sri Lanka is to Ban Arabic for Street Names

samv

Reaction score
Sri Lanka is to Ban Arabic for Street Names

The government of Sri Lanka Monday banned use of Arabic for street names, according to media reports.

A circular issued by Sri Lanka’s Official Languages Ministry asked authorities to remove Arabic street name boards, Colombo-based Sunday Times reported.

“Authorities will take swift measures to act upon this circular and remove such name boards which violate the law,” the daily quoted Official Languages Minister Mano Ganesan as saying.

"As a common policy, we can't allow street name boards to be printed in any other language other than English, Sinhala, and Tamil," Ganesan said.

The government circular made it mandatory to seek permission in order to use any other language on a street name board.

https://www.albawaba.com/editors-choice/sri-lanka-ban-arabic-street-names-1290474

Good on them. That is why I think the West should also rip out all the Chinatowns and the Mandarin/Cantonese letters on Chinese restaurants should be removed too. Same with other ethnic enclaves too - it will sort out problems with cohesion in no time

Good on them. That is why I think the West should also rip out all the Chinatowns and the Mandarin/Cantonese letters on Chinese restaurants should be removed too. Same with other ethnic enclaves too - it will sort out problems with cohesion in no time

Boars are boars and horses are horses... you know...

Boars are boars and horses are horses... you know...

No I actually mean it, why are there ethnic based enclaves like China Towns, Africa Towns and districts where one community is segregated. I have visited some China Town and no one will speak to you and they can overcharge as you cannot read the pricing!

Chinese letters have no relationship with terrorism.
maybe communism?

Chinese letters have no relationship with terrorism.
maybe communism?

I didn’t mention terrorism, its about mixing and community relations. I know having visited some Chinatowns the shop keepers tend to ignore you if you don’t speak Mandarin or Cantonese then you can’t understand what ingredients are in some foods etc

I think the West should take an example from China and make sure they have to legally be written in English or national languages so locals can understand them.

Why there are Arabic sign boards? Do Muslims of Sri Lanka speak Arabic?

Why there are Arabic sign boards? Do Muslims of Sri Lanka speak Arabic?

No.

But many put up Arabic signboards to show everyone else that they are "Muslim"
Plant date trees to pretend that it is "Arabia"
Wear niqab to pretend that they are Arab.

It's actually quite sad.

Not everyone does this of course.

No.

But many put up Arabic signboards to show everyone else that they are "Muslim"
Plant date trees to pretend that it is "Arabia"
Wear niqab to pretend that they are Arab.

It's actually quite sad.

Not everyone does this of course.

Interesting to find that wanna be Arabs is not limited to Pakistan only.

I didn’t mention terrorism, its about mixing and community relations. I know having visited some Chinatowns the shop keepers tend to ignore you if you don’t speak Mandarin or Cantonese then you can’t understand what ingredients are in some foods etc

I think the West should take an example from China and make sure they have to legally be written in English or national languages so locals can understand them.

Why are you so interested in Chinatowns?

Why are you so interested in Chinatowns?

Because there are many in the West and use their own language and customs...I have also mentioned ‘African’ shopping areas where people may feel the prices are not clear and shops are set up just like markets back home. They should try and assimilate into the Western shopping style streets and have clear pricing and ingredients in English, talk to customers in English only.

As if terrorists get triggered by language.
Nopes they will be able to figure out where they are or where they should be ..
Not every terrorist knows english....

Back
Top Bottom