What's new

SPACE WAR: ARE WE READY?

@waz bhai,why are these chinese trolls being allowed to spoil vital threads in the Indian section when many of us(India members including me) are totally banned from even visiting the chinese defense section!!Isn't it a blatant discrimnation on part of the PDF management??

Your choice of course.

But not testing ICBM, ASAT and Thermonuclear weapons (hydrogen bombs) just to avoid America getting angry, well that's quite a compromise.

Sir,
I think we all have a basic responsibility towards the preservation of the the environment at large for the good of all concerned. Creating thousands of particles of space debris at a stage where we are conceptualizing more multi national space stations and planning to increase the capacity of the ISS is cheap vanity at best.

Sir,
I think we all have a basic responsibility towards the preservation of the the environment at large for the good of all concerned. Creating thousands of particles of space debris at a stage where we are conceptualizing more multi national space stations and planning to increase the capacity of the ISS is cheap vanity at best.

Thank you making this point.
Adding some more info -

This is what the space around earth looks like today -
boZhtHC-11.jpg

And take a look at how the amount of space debris has grown over the years -

2599e0ad79e09729f1ef751b422dccfb.gif

Each dot in the 1st image is one of the 17,000 objects being tracked by the world's various space agencies. And they track only the large objects - there are many more that we don't even know the exact locations of.

NASA and ESA estimate that there are -
1. 20,000 pieces of debris larger than a softball
2. 500,000 pieces of debris the size of a marble or larger
3. 1,000,000 pieces of debris larger than 2 mm
... orbiting the Earth

Each of these are traveling at about 28,000 KPH (avg LEO velocity). At that speed, an object of only 1 cm will cause the same damage in a collision as a small hand grenade. And if you have seen the movie Gravity, you may know about the Kessler Syndrome, where a single debris collision can lead to a domino effect, cascading around earth and destroying virtually every object in LEO.

About 3,000 of the 20,000 large debris came from a single event - the 2007 Chinese anti-satellite test.

You can get all jingoistic about India going all ASAT-crazy and carrying out our own "look-I-have-a-big-dick" Anti-satellite test. Remember, nowadays we are heavily dependent on the orbital platforms for everything from TV to mobile phones, to air-traffic control. With another ASAT test, we are at a very real risk of destroying EVERYBODY'S satellite infrastructure and leaving the entire world blind and deaf.

So I thank the GOI for not testing - there are far better things we can do in space.

Space Debris and Human Spacecraft | NASA
Space in Videos - 2013 - 04 - Space debris story
Kessler syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
India ready for space war?

India needs to avail itself the ability to design and make a damn rifle first。

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom