beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
South Korea Rejects Extradition in Attack on Japanese Shrine
By CHOE SANG-HUN
Published: January 3, 2013
SEOUL, South Korea — A South Korean court sided with China on Thursday in a fight between Beijing and Tokyo over the custody of a Chinese man accused of an arson attack at the Yasukuni Shrine for Japan’s war dead.

The man, Liu Qiang, 38, completed a 10-month prison term in South Korea in November after hurling four petrol bombs at the Japanese Embassy in central Seoul. His attack in January last year left burn marks on the embassy wall but hurt no one.

Mr. Liu had told South Korean police that his late maternal grandmother, a Korean, was one of Asia’s so-called “comfort women,” who were forced into sexual slavery for Japan’s Imperial Army during World War II. He said that he attacked the Japanese Embassy to show his anger at Tokyo’s refusal to apologize and compensate properly for the wrongs done against the women.

Even before Mr. Liu was released from a South Korean prison, Tokyo and Beijing had filed competing requests for his extradition.

During the investigation by South Korean police, Mr. Liu said he carried out an arson attack that burned the main wooden gate of the shrine in Tokyo in December 2011. The shrine, which commemorates several Japanese war criminals from World War II, as well as the common war dead, is seen by many Koreans and Chinese as a symbol of Japan’s past aggression, and Japanese politicians’ frequent visits there have prompted anti-Japanese emotions in the neighboring countries.

During his extradition hearings at the Seoul High Court in recent weeks, Mr. Liu argued that his attack at the shrine should be treated as a political crime and that he would not be given a fair trial in Japan. His lawyers, reportedly hired by the Chinese government, cited a provision at the South Korea-Japan extradition treaty that allowed each country not to extradite people accused of political crimes.

South Korean prosecutors, who sought his extradition to Japan, argued that Japan sought Mr. Liu’s custody to punish him not for his political opinion but for arson.

On Thursday, the presiding justice, Hwang Han-sik, rejected the prosecutors’ request, opening the door for Mr. Liu to leave for China.

In his verdict, Mr. Hwang said a decision to extradite Mr. Liu to Japan for “his political crime would be tantamount to denying the political order and Constitutional ideas of South Korea, as well as the universal values of most of the civilized nations.”

He also said the Yasukuni Shrine carried some “political symbolism” even if it was listed as a religious property in Japan.

Mr. Liu’s extradition trial came amid rising concern in South Korea over a growing political power of right-wing nationalists in Japan, as demonstrated by Shinzo Abe’s return as prime minister.

During Mr. Liu’s hearings, right-wing South Korean activists demonstrated outside the courthouse, opposing his extradition to Japan and calling for South Korea to instead give him an “award.”

At his trial, Mr. Liu appealed to the South Korean judge “to understand, as a fellow Korean who shares the same blood, the anger my grandmother and I felt.” He linked his attack at the shrine to the acts of some South Korean nationalist activists who have in recent years cut their fingertips to show anger at some Japanese politicians’ annual visits to the shrine.

The “comfort women” remain the most emotional issue left unresolved from Japan’s often brutal colonial rule of Korea from 1910 until 1945. Historians say that some 200,000 women from Korea, China, the Philippines and other countries were drafted to work in Japanese Army brothels.

Chinese govt supports its ordinary citizens a lot, maybe communism isn't a bad thing?

China welcomes ROK court decision on Chinese national
Updated: 2013-01-03 21:53
(Xinhua)
BEIJING -- China on Thursday welcomed a decision made by a Republic of Korea (ROK) court to turn down a Japanese extradition request for a Chinese national who served a ten-month jail sentence for an arson attack on the Japanese embassy in Seoul.

"The Chinese side welcomes the result of the case," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said in response to a question from the media on the Seoul High Court's decision.

Liu Qiang, the Chinese national, has been properly arranged and will come back to China within days, according to the spokeswoman.

"The Chinese government attaches great importance to safeguarding Chinese citizens' security and legitimate rights," Hua said, adding that personnel from the Chinese embassy in the ROK had visited Liu several times and offered him necessary assistance within the limits of their responsibilities.

According to media reports, Liu has served ten months in a ROK prison for throwing Molotov cocktails at the Japanese Embassy in Seoul in January last year.

Japan had sought Liu's extradition in connection with a separate arson attack that caused minor damage at the Yasukuni war shrine in Tokyo in December 2011. The shrine honors WWII war criminals among the war dead.

South Korea repatriates Chinese arsonist instead of extraditing to Japan
Posted on : Jan.5,2013 14:09 KSTModified on : Jan.5,2013 14:10 KS

135736237767_20130106.JPG

Liu Qiang

Seoul deems Chinese national a ‘political prisoner’ with views consistent with South Korea’s constitution
By Jeong Nam-ku, Tokyo correspondent, Park Min-hee, Beijing correspondent and Park Tae-woo, staff reporter

The South Korean government repatriated a Chinese national who set fire to Japan's Yasukuni Shrine, following a court ruling. The decision was welcomed by Beijing but triggered stern protests from Tokyo. With even the Japanese prime minister joining the outcry, Japanese news outlets are now predicting the issue will be another sore point in relations between Seoul and Tokyo.

During a beginning-of-year press conference on Jan. 4, Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe voiced his displeasure at Seoul High Court's Jan. 3 ruling not to extradite Liu Qiang to Japan to face charges for throwing a gasoline bomb at the shrine.
"They are disregarding the extradition treaty between our two countries. It's extremely unfortunate, and I wish to express my strong objections," Abe said.

The Japanese foreign ministry also reported vice-minister Kawai Chikao as demanding appropriate measures from Seoul in a telephone call to South Korean ambassador to Japan Shin Kak-soo, telling him the case "did not meet the terms for refusing extradition according to the two countries' extradition treaty."

Tokyo also protested to Seoul through its ambassador to South Korea, and special envoy Fukushiro Nukaga reiterated its displeasure during a meeting with Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade Kim Sung-hwan after visiting President-elect Park Geun-hye.
Kim responded to Nukaga's remarks by saying the South Korean government "respects the legal decisions of our judiciary, and hopes Japan will also respect our courts' decisions."

The Asahi Shimbun newspaper predicted that the issue "could surface on the diplomatic agenda between Seoul and Tokyo."

The dude should have been deported to Japan to let Japan and China fight over it.

Unfortunately, the judge cited the possibility of "tougher than usual sentence for arson" as the reason for classifying him as a political prisoner, which is just plain wrong.

this is the kind of wackyness that happens when the governments of both China and Korea infuse hatred into their children.
Both China and Korea need to get over it, Korea was only under occupation for 30 some odd years, boo freaking hoo. There are colonies out there that were under occupation for more 300-400 years or more. Time to let it go.

this is the kind of wackyness that happens when the governments of both China and Korea infuse hatred into their children.
Both China and Korea need to get over it, Korea was only under occupation for 30 some odd years, boo freaking hoo. There are colonies out there that were under occupation for more 300-400 years or more. Time to let it go.

Let go?
If you bother to read up on the atrocities of the Japanese imperial army, you would never 'let go'.
The Mongols massacred the Song dynasty and centuries later Chinese dominated them for good.
The Manchus took over the Ming and became Chinese themselves, forever losing themselves.

Chinese have very long memories, past kindness is rewarded and crimes repaid with interest.

Let go?
If you bother to read up on the atrocities of the Japanese imperial army, you would never 'let go'.
The Mongols massacred the Song dynasty and centuries later Chinese dominated them for good.
The Manchus took over the Ming and became Chinese themselves, forever losing themselves.

Chinese have very long memories, past kindness is rewarded and crimes repaid with interest.

I am well versed in the atrocities that the Japanese committed, But that doesn't mean that you guys should be teaching so much hate to your kids that they end up doing stupid stuff like this.

Other parts of the world have experienced 10x worse atrocities but even they don't go to such extents.
You know what the problem is?
Ego
Chinese and Koreans think they are the master human race and that all other people are barbarians, so when the 倭 (wa, pejorative meaning dwarf or short) Japanese gave you people a bloody nose your ego was shattered.
And like they say, you body heals but your ego is wounded forever.

The solution to all this hate is for Japan to genuinely apologies and Chines and Koreans to let go of their ego.

I am well versed in the atrocities that the Japanese committed, But that doesn't mean that you guys should be teaching so much hate to your kids that they end up doing stupid stuff like this.

Other parts of the world have experienced 10x worse atrocities but even they don't go to such extents.
You know what the problem is?
Ego
Chinese and Koreans think they are the master human race and that all other people are barbarians, so when the 倭 (wa, pejorative meaning dwarf or short) Japanese gave you people a bloody nose your ego was shattered.
And like they say, you body heals but your ego is wounded forever.

The solution to all this hate is for Japan to genuinely apologies and Chines and Koreans to let go of their ego.

倭”在日文中同“大和”一样都发音为“yamato”,“大和”一样为日本国的别名,“倭”字并没有贬义。此名起源于三国时期魏国皇帝曾御封当时日本的君主为卑弥呼(即亲魏倭王),“魏”字去右边的“鬼”字舍去“魂魄”之意,加上左边“亻”加上往来的“友人”的意思,于是亲魏倭王的所在国家也叫做“倭国”,倭国之名得此由来并延用了较长一段时间。7世纪后半叶(中国唐朝时期),倭国对外国号修正为日本。元明天皇治世时,规定以「和」字替代「倭」字,并以开头附以「大」而始称「大和」.

Baudu encyclopeida

You are wrong on the explanation of the Chinese character 倭

Use a internet translator if you cant read the above.

Tell the japanese to stop distorting history, stop visiting their shrine which is the funeral home to class A war criminals, officially and sincerely apologize to their crime in ww2, to the surviving comfort women and make compensations to all the people who suffered as a result of their war crime, honour and redeem the " imperial japan's currency" with present day currency!

e70df8f90165e5177864b036e7ee91e3_1.jpg

EE00057395.jpg

Can you read what the japanese government called their country ( the 7 characters that were printed across the top of the paper)?

and more here:

2010_4_26_44364_11044364.jpg

The dude should have been deported to Japan to let Japan and China fight over it.

Unfortunately, the judge cited the possibility of "tougher than usual sentence for arson" as the reason for classifying him as a political prisoner, which is just plain wrong.
He is also a Korean.

you claim that you are a Korean,but why your opinion and attitude towards Japan is so different from other Koreans and the Korean government and court?

W020050621323974243263.jpg

2012925113838v4j8i.jpg

d4bed9e6027f11cb656552.jpg

xin_090403061040187299434.jpg

2013010509511510.jpg

2013010509511512.jpg

Your comment shows you are supporting the Japanese attitude towards history and that China and Korea should let go. I think you should mind your own business if it has nothing do with you. Don't try to tell other countries how to educate history if Japan refused to teach the correct version.

Your comment shows you are supporting the Japanese attitude towards history and that China and Korea should let go. I think you should mind your own business if it has nothing do with you. Don't try to tell other countries how to educate history if Japan refused to teach the correct version.

I am not taking Japan's side, I already said that Japan needs to give a real honest apology.
I am just sick of you guys bickering and the reason is only for ego.
Yes, they did you wrong, but the reason you guys are acting like this is because of your ego and nothing else.
How could those island barbarians take on the great Middle Kingdom?
How could the master Han race be defeated by those dwarves from Japan?

See what I am getting at?
I 100% support China and Korea against their struggle against Japan, but I am just sick of all this whining.

I am not taking Japan's side, I already said that Japan needs to give a real honest apology.
I am just sick of you guys bickering and the reason is only for ego.
Yes, they did you wrong, but the reason you guys are acting like this is because of your ego and nothing else.
How could those island barbarians take on the great Middle Kingdom?
How could the master Han race be defeated by those dwarves from Japan?

See what I am getting at?
I 100% support China and Korea against their struggle against Japan, but I am just sick of all this whining.

what "whining"?you guys were just lucky to stay out of the brutalities of the japanese and nothing in your race was affected by the japanese because of the brits. just dont pretend to be an expert out of your rusty knowledge !

Back
Top Bottom