What's new

SOUTH AFRICA

South Africa is a tad more expensive than its neighbors but at least in South Africa the shops or supermarkets are well stocked and there is never a shortage of anything. Unlike its neighbors offcourse and especially Zimbabwe where you may as well buy your bread for a week and freeze it since there is a good chance that the shops will be out of bread or some other commodity such as meat for a month or so :D

The entire Southern Africa is a wildlife paradise. The Kruger National Park in South Africa is well renowned. Costs for these types of safaris are dependent on the type of accommodation you are seeking and the tour packages which you want. South Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia unlike Kenya for example, has strict regulations on hunting and you would require both a permit and a arms license before you are allowed to hunt. Overall, the costs of these packages are rather reasonable. There are plenty of experienced and skilled guards at the reserves and it is extremely seldom that you would hear of an incident of an attack on a tourist by any predator. Not to say that it doesn't happen though. The last attack I heard off was that of a Chinese tourist at the Kruger National Park who got off his tour vehicle to pet a lion. Unfortunately he didn't understand English and disregarded the tour operator's pleas to him to return to the vehicle. Sadly, the lion had Chinese food that day and that was reported widely in the media in Southern Africa.

Thanks for the detailed answer bro.

Really? I mean is the situation that serious in a country like Namibia? Never expected that. Zimbabwe I could imagine for obvious reasons. Mozambique too but somehow not Namibia.

Yes, I have heard about the Kruger National Park.

I have a arms license. How difficult is it to get a permit?

No, I am not afraid about that at all. If it happens it will happen, lol. As you say it's extremely rare for such a thing to happen and when it does happen occasionally it is very often your own fault.

Looking forward to that Namibia/Mozambique/Kenya/Tanzania thread.

In the meantime;

The situation is much better in Namibia which is regarded as a satellite state of South Africa in any event. Extremely difficult in South Africa and Zimbabwe. There are hunting tour operators who could arrange the permits and the weapons though. Will do the thread soon.

I somehow always had the impression that Namibia was a well off country for Sub-Saharan African standards. Being a former German colony and all. It seems that I was slightly wrong.

Maybe that's for the better given the sad history of poaching in recent years. I of course would only hunt legally and with local operators. I doubt that it is legal to hunt on your own even with permits if you are based in South Africa or Zimbabwe. Fines are probably hefty for those vandals who break the law in this regard, am I right?

Sounds great. Maybe you can tell beforehand which country it will be?

Also how is life in Zimbabwe? As quite as you once told me about? Also Mugabe does not want to leave his throne I see. He has been pronounced death countless of times by everyone but he is still there like a black sheep.:lol::D

Thanks for the detailed answer bro.

Really? I mean is the situation that serious in a country like Namibia? Never expected that. Zimbabwe I could imagine for obvious reasons. Mozambique too but somehow not Namibia.

Yes, I have heard about the Kruger National Park.

I have a arms license. How difficult is it to get a permit?

No, I am not afraid about that at all. If it happens it will happen, lol. As you say it's extremely rare for such a thing to happen and when it does happen occasionally it is very often your own fault.

Looking forward to that Namibia/Mozambique/Kenya/Tanzania thread.

In the meantime;

The situation is much better in Namibia which is regarded as a satellite state of South Africa in any event. Extremely difficult in South Africa and Zimbabwe. There are hunting tour operators who could arrange the permits and the weapons though. Will do the thread soon.

I somehow always had the impression that Namibia was a well off country for Sub-Saharan African standards. Being a former German colony and all. It seems that I was slightly wrong.

Maybe that's for the better given the sad history of poaching in recent years. I of course would only hunt legally and with local operators. I doubt that it is legal to hunt on your own even with permits if you are based in South Africa or Zimbabwe. Fines are probably hefty for those vandals who break the law in this regard, am I right?

Sounds great. Maybe you can tell beforehand which country it will be?

Also how is life in Zimbabwe? As quite as you once told me about? Also Mugabe does not want to leave his throne I see. He has been pronounced death countless of times by everyone but he is still there like a black sheep.:lol::D

Namibia is doing quite okay. Has a strong export market and imports most of its needs from South Africa. Yeah poaching a scourge in Southern Africa. Yes, heavy fines and imprisonment are imposed for any unlawful possession of weapons in southern African states. You really don't want to spend even an hour in any of those jails trust me so ensure that your permits are all in order before you get here :D

Zim is practically ruined my friend. I am based here for just over 14 months and things get progressively worse day by day

Namibia is doing quite okay. Has a strong export market and imports most of its needs from South Africa. Yeah poaching a scourge in Southern Africa. Yes, heavy fines and imprisonment are imposed for any unlawful possession of weapons in southern African states. You really don't want to spend even an hour in any of those jails trust me so ensure that your permits are all in order before you get here :D

Zim is practically ruined my friend. I am based here for just over 14 months and things get progressively worse day by day

That's good to hear. Always wanted to visit the spectacular Namib Desert and the Namibian coastline.

:lol:

This might be prejudice but I am not planning to engage in any crimes in Sub-Saharan African countries or any crime anywhere for that matter. Police in the ME are no angels to put it mildly but I have heard even worse stories from Sub-Saharan African police.

Also that street justice is some crazy shit. It only takes a bitch (excuse my language) to shout rape and in the wrong neighborhood you are likely to find yourself surrounded by a mob that is ready to burn you alive. No thank you, I will pass.:o:

That's a shame. You never hear about Zimbabwe in the media. Some have called it the North Korea of Africa but I don't think that it's THAT bad. Are there any signs that show that the situation will change once Mugabe dies? Because death seems like the only thing that is going to make him disappear from power.

Also speaking about South Africa. I always wanted to experience cage diving near a great white shark. Not sure if I would have the balls to do such a stunt but I keep telling myself that I would if I got the opportunity.:coffee:

The adrenaline rush must be insane.

My best friend is a white South African but he always says that it's very unsafe for whites to live there. What's the truth in this?

My best friend is a white South African but he always says that it's very unsafe for whites to live there. What's the truth in this?

That is a hype - crime can strike at anyone irrespective of race. Some areas are worst than others. Things have gotten better than 10 years + ago. The challenge we have is illegal immigrants. Over 4.5mil which is staggering to imagine in terms of impact.

Crime and HIV are the biggest challenges facing my country.

In terms of firearms, it is not possible in SA if you are not a permanent resident or citizen. Best is to arrange with the hunting tour operator as they will have ample. Otherwise you have to go through with paperwork and red tape with SA Customs. If you are in a hunting tour package the operator can arrange for the temporary permit for you; i know many foreign hunters who bring their own rifles this way - but be prepared to pay quite

SA is an amazing country but politicians are destroying it slowly but i hope the day is not far to clean the ANC off the pedestle and self glorification and corruption.

Zimbabwe as one person said is totally destroyed; i was there after it gained independence and it was remarkable in terms of infrastructure, education, health and security. Then the problems in the western province with Zanu/Zipra and North korean involvement put the country on a self destruction. After Tim's first wife passed away the second wife took the old man into a washing machine spin. In 2008, when you went to Zim via the Francistown border, people would beg for food - they did not want money at all. I still have Zimbabwean dollar notes eg. 1$ from 1982 when it really meant much.

Mozambique is another such case - i saw it after independence and then in the late 80s' and 90s. Not sure where it will land up. Xai Xai is superb.

Botswana and Namibia are truly gems in this entire region. I love Botswana and it is just 15min drive from my home. Safe, great government and superb people. If you want to go on a hunting safari, PM me, i will send you my family's contact who have hunting areas in Tuli block.

That is a hype - crime can strike at anyone irrespective of race. Some areas are worst than others. Things have gotten better than 10 years + ago. The challenge we have is illegal immigrants. Over 4.5mil which is staggering to imagine in terms of impact.

Crime and HIV are the biggest challenges facing my country.

In terms of firearms, it is not possible in SA if you are not a permanent resident or citizen. Best is to arrange with the hunting tour operator as they will have ample. Otherwise you have to go through with paperwork and red tape with SA Customs. If you are in a hunting tour package the operator can arrange for the temporary permit for you; i know many foreign hunters who bring their own rifles this way - but be prepared to pay quite

SA is an amazing country but politicians are destroying it slowly but i hope the day is not far to clean the ANC off the pedestle and self glorification and corruption.

Zimbabwe as one person said is totally destroyed; i was there after it gained independence and it was remarkable in terms of infrastructure, education, health and security. Then the problems in the western province with Zanu/Zipra and North korean involvement put the country on a self destruction. After Tim's first wife passed away the second wife took the old man into a washing machine spin. In 2008, when you went to Zim via the Francistown border, people would beg for food - they did not want money at all. I still have Zimbabwean dollar notes eg. 1$ from 1982 when it really meant much.

Mozambique is another such case - i saw it after independence and then in the late 80s' and 90s. Not sure where it will land up. Xai Xai is superb.

Botswana and Namibia are truly gems in this entire region. I love Botswana and it is just 15min drive from my home. Safe, great government and superb people. If you want to go on a hunting safari, PM me, i will send you my family's contact who have hunting areas in Tuli block.
Thanks for the long post. Another think he noted is that the country is still quite segregated. For instance, different ethnic groups in the country tend to stick to each other rather than intermingle. Is it true? If so I wonder what the reason for it?

Thanks for the long post. Another think he noted is that the country is still quite segregated. For instance, different ethnic groups in the country tend to stick to each other rather than intermingle. Is it true? If so I wonder what the reason for it?
I would not agree at all. Many people have moved on from the past; we have had one of the largest middle class rise and consequently people have moved into any area in terms of house they prefer. It is false and inaccurate statement. However many will state they have been to Cape town and saw segregated communities. Cape town is a rare expection where communities tend to cluster due to neighbourhood factors etc. all of that is changing very quickly with the newer generation who has no recollection of the past. The same is said of New York with its communities e.g. italian sector, greek, chinatown etc. however those clusters will remain and it is historical to see those. This does not imply segregation.
Our private sector in terms of manufacturing, tourism, banking etc is one of the better success stories e.g. SASOL, deBeers etc. It is the private sector which continues to run the engine of this country.
We have first world infrastructure and third world problems - just like Brazil. If only the politicians are not embiciles and thiefs.

South Africa's racist president Jacob Zuma singing "Shoot the Boere"

As a comparison ,imagine Francois Hollande singing "Shoot the Maghrebian" at his party rally.

South Africa's racist president Jacob Zuma singing "Shoot the Boere"

As a comparison ,imagine Francois Hollande singing "Shoot the Maghrebian" at his party rally.
He is a clown with no brains who talks rubbish even when he opens his mouth. Definitely not a reflection of the country.

He's right.White farmers are especially targeted in a ruthless,racist crime spree.

In 2003 the Goverment has intentionally disbanded the farmers self defence commandos which led to a staggering increase of attacks on white owned farms.

South African farmers fearing for their lives - Telegraph

These attacks are not meant to robb,they are meant to instill fear in white farmers with their barbarity:

Mr Potgieter, a farm caretaker, was stabbed and hacked 151 times with a garden fork, a knife and a machete near Lindley in the Free State - the agricultural heart of the country.

His wife, Wilna, and two-year-old daughter, Willemien, were both made to watch him die, before being shot in the head, execution style.

The South African Goverment tries to hide the truth :

South African police stopped releasing separate figures on farm attacks in 2007, and incorporated them into wider violent crime statistics.

...but the figures are shocking:

according to the Transvaal Agricultural Union of South Africa, there have been 2,863 farm attacks and 1,592 farm murders since 1990, and independent think-tanks put the true number of farmers murdered at closer to 3,000.

It is now twice as dangerous to be a farmer as it is to be a police officer in South Africa, according to Johan Burger, a senior researcher with the Pretoria-based Institute for Security Studies' crime and justice programme. Last year the country had a murder rate of 31.9 per 100,000 people, almost 30 times higher than Britain, according to police statistics. For police officers, this rate rises to 51 – and among farmers, a staggering 99 people killed per 100,000.

farm-SA_2415806b.jpg

He is a clown with no brains who talks rubbish even when he opens his mouth. Definitely not a reflection of the country.

He's the elected President of South Africa.

I lost two close friends this way in our region. So, no need to tell me about this. Like I said there is no denying about level of violence. We lose more people to car hijacks than this.
Regretfully until ANC is replaced we wont see any change in the overall challenges.

I lost two close friends this way in our region. So, no need to tell me about this. Like I said there is no denying about level of violence. We lose more people to car hijacks than this.
Regretfully until ANC is replaced we wont see any change in the overall challenges.

The ANC won't leave power.You could say SA was "lucky" that Zuma had a falling out with Malema or the latter would have been your next President.And he's twice the racist Zuma is.

It took South African politicians untill 2007 to condemn their neighbour in Zimbabwe and that only in half voice.

heck no. the latter is a more dangerous village idiot. the protege challenging the master.

Back
Top Bottom