What's new

Some thoughts!!

thesolar65

Reaction score
Country
India
I want to discuss the following things which came to mind while having afternoon rest. I think our education system (some in school and some in college) must have the following subjects(not related to mark and not for long duration) as compulsory.

Swimming : About 80% of City people do not know swimming resulting in deaths like Andaman, Mahanadi incidents. All children must be taught basic swimming. Even a 5-10 minutes remaining afloat may save your life.

Learning to use Gun : Do not assume that I am getting paranoid or being apocalyptic. See owing a gun is not same as learning to use a gun. I have shot only 5 rounds in a .303 rifle during my NCC days and now have a air rifle (which does not require License). No I am not advocating conscription or neither advocating firearms in each house (I can see the result in Pakistan)!!

House maintenance : Painting, little bit of plumbing, little bit of carpentering etc..

I will add more when I think more.....:coffee:

@levina @Sidak @DRAY @chak de INDIA @Dem!god @scorpionx @SarthakGanguly @Skull and Bones @janon @SpArK @Srinivas And others as I am in a hurry to mention..

Last edited:
Swimming? Ok I agree, although the money for making facilities and getting instructors and safety gear could be used for more basic educational needs... (This applies not for states like Kerala but less literate ones which have more serious education concerns)

And no, seriously, teaching pupils how to use firearms is a.) An insane waste of money and resources and b.) dangerous.

Driving should be compulsorily taught to students of HSC or 12th Grade
And who is going to pay for that?
Instead, driving tests should be more .... lets say challenging and educational. ..... getting a license in India is a joke... and the results are tragic.

I want to discuss the following things which came to mind while having afternoon rest. I think our education system (some in school and some in college) must have the following subjects(not related to mark and not for long duration) as compulsory.

Swimming : About 80% of City people do not know swimming resulting in deaths like Andaman, Mahanadi incidents. All children must be taught basic swimming. Even a 5-10 minutes remaining afloat may save your life.

Learning to use Gun : Do not assume that I am getting paranoid or being apocalyptic. See owing a gun is not same as learning to use a gun. I have shot only 5 rounds in a .303 rifle during my NCC days and now have a air rifle (which does not require License). No I am not advocating conscription or neither advocating firearms in each house (I can see the result in Pakistan)!!

@levina @Sidak @DRAY @chak de INDIA @Dem!god @scorpionx @SarthakGanguly @Skull and Bones @janon @SpArK @Srinivas And others as I am in a hurry to mention..

In a way you mean making training compulsory in schools and colleges, which is what Ex-General Mr. V.K. Singh said few days before, right?

Physical education must be compulsory and properly done. Just general fitness would do - running a mile, a few pushups, a few calisthenics or aerobics. Not meant to be too strenuous or exhausting, just to maintain good health. Say, 30 minutes a day. It can do wonders physically as well as mentally as well as spiritually. Tailor it differently for different students, depending on their capability. And make it fun, not a punishment. Also, encourage more sports. Healthy mind resides in a healthy body.

Swimming is an excellent physical activity, but as koovie pointed out, it would be too expensive for all schools to maintain a swimming pool, regularly cleaned and maintained.

Students should be taught about using first aid kits properly.

and how to give CPR :)

@thesolar65 sir, if you remember there were SUPW classes. especially on last two working days of the week in Sainik school.

that was a good concept. i don't know if they still follow it. :)

Yes, yes...I forgot about it. Also basic skills such as plumbing, some painting, some sort of house maintenance activities. See the day will come when we cannot afford labors for doing painting of the interior or fixing a leakage etc..

In a way you mean making training compulsory in schools and colleges, which is what Ex-General Mr. V.K. Singh said few days before, right?

I would not say compulsory per se, but have a small course...may be!! BTW I did not know about V.K Singh thing!!

Swimming is an excellent physical activity, but as koovie pointed out, it would be too expensive for all schools to maintain a swimming pool, regularly cleaned and maintained.

There's no need to construct and maintain separate facilities, the school administration could just build one to serve a number of specified schools in the same area, provided they contribute to the cost incurred.

Excellent suggestion, though skeptical regarding the gun training. I fail to see it's utility.

getting a license in India is a joke... and the results are tragic.

These are two incompatible statements mate, two different perspectives.

PS. No to the house maintenance! That should be voluntary.

I think the educational system in India should revamped entirely especially HISTORY. The textbooks being used are not great, in fact the history books have been diluted and rewritten to suit hidden agendas and politics. HISTORY should be the truth, no matter if it hurts ppl's sentiments. It is the only way to help future generation to learn from the past and how to avoid costly mistakes.

Swimming, shooting and a host of other activities should be included but this is where capitalism should play a role. Of course, having a substantial population of poorer students means they may not get the same access. The govt or states should play a role in funding such endeavors but it comes down to priorities, I guess.

Anyone who doesn't see the good in shooting weapons, doesn't know world history much.

Swimming in river is a complete different thing and those who are champions in swimming pools may find it difficult to manage the undercurrent water in rivers. But it is a great exercise and we should promote it like other cricket and football too. Boys in rural India, if trained properly can bring medals in swimming in International level.
Training on Guns i don't think is necessary because we are not allowed to keep guns first of all. A compulsory military training for one year might be a course of debate but guns training should not be our priority.
I think one of the areas we should emphasize on is cleanliness and developing basic civic sense in kids;to make them such an ardent follower of these areas that nobody in future spits on road,no body sculpts his girlfriend's name on archaeological monuments and tombs. And training on non conventional energy sources should be necessary because this is going to be one major thing we have to lean upon in the next century.

Physical education must be compulsory and properly done. Just general fitness would do - running a mile, a few pushups, a few calisthenics or aerobics. Not meant to be too strenuous or exhausting, just to maintain good health. Say, 30 minutes a day. It can do wonders physically as well as mentally as well as spiritually. Tailor it differently for different students, depending on their capability. And make it fun, not a punishment. Also, encourage more sports. Healthy mind resides in a healthy body.

then teach them in ponds,will be quite cheap then lol

then teach them in ponds,will be quite cheap then lol
Digging a pond isn't cheap either. Besides, whether it's a pond or pool, if many children are to use it, then it has to be cleaned and disinfected regularly. It simply ain't possible for a poor country like India. Guaranteeing one mid-day meal a day to all school students is one of the proudest accomplishments of the govt in the past ten years - that should give you some idea of the challenges we face.

House maintenance : Painting, little bit of plumbing, little bit of carpentering etc..

BTW everybody missed something very important - comprehensive sex education.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom