What's new

Some components to make the JF-17 a world class fighter

For a country with a meagre budget it is not feasible to spend billions on R&D for reinventing the wheel. We should acquire the necessary hardware with some elements of local manufacturing. This can progressively increase as we acquire the know how. This would be imperative if we want a platform delivered on time.
A

Fully agree. Short term acquisition but long term development. Here is the thing. Humans tend to be short-sighted. There is always the danger that some planner(s) will go on a buying spree and neglect long term development. Since we don't have established R&D centers in Pakistan, I believe it is necessary to keep raising the concern every single time the topic of acquiring high-tech equipment comes up.

I'd add the Thales TopOwl-F HMD/S.

Hi, can you please write an article on the soon to be revealed JF-17B and what it would contain, how it would affect PAF's capability, it's epxport potential, and an overall informative article. I'm a constant reader of your articles and find them very well, and professionaly written.

For a country with a meagre budget it is not feasible to spend billions on R&D for reinventing the wheel. We should acquire the necessary hardware with some elements of local manufacturing. This can progressively increase as we acquire the know how. This would be imperative if we want a platform delivered on time.
A
Well Problem Is Pakistan Buying From Outside isnt Always Cost Effective , and With Pakistan , You Should Always Keep Ban of Few Systems in Mind ,
And yes Pakistan Cant Spend Billions on Simple R & D Project but they need to invest with China Where Companies are already Working
Reason is Pakistan wants a independent Weapons Industry which can support its Land , Air , Sea , and Sub Sea Assets
For Now Its a Long Dream and Needs Work But there are already few smaller countries who heavy healthy Weapon Programs and they are making Good Money
Bonus Point For Pakistan is , Pakistan has a good reputation and Friendly Relations with Many Countries E.g Africa , Middle east , West , southeast Asia where they are already selling
If Pakistan Start small JVs With Companies From Turkey , China , South Africa , Italy where they have good Relations it will help in long term

I think some of the mention goodies are available and will make there way subject to pricing and requirement what i would really like in JF17 is 360 degree situational awareness like

electronic-warfare.jpg

communications_eng.jpg

I'd add the Thales TopOwl-F HMD/S.

From the start the avionics of the JF17 were to be western but due to sanctions they had to settle with Chinese systems which reportedly are performing better than expected.

In an interview by a PAF officer(cannot remember who) it was mentioned that later they found out that they had access to some western systems ( I assume these were mainly navigational systems and flight control sensors etc.. not EW/ECM systems) and were procuring them.

Now that Italian firms are actively participating in defense exhibitions in Pakistan it remains to be seen if PAF will do what they had initially planned or not. Fear of sanctions should not be a factor here as Chinese systems will always be available in case that happens.

Diversity in avionics/EW/ECM/radars should always be welcome.

From the start the avionics of the JF17 were to be western but due to sanctions they had to settle with Chinese systems which reportedly are performing better than expected.

In an interview by a PAF officer(cannot remember who) it was mentioned that later they found out that they had access to some western systems ( I assume these were mainly navigational systems and flight control sensors etc.. not EW/ECM systems) and were procuring them.

Now that Italian firms are actively participating in defense exhibitions in Pakistan it remains to be seen if PAF will do what they had initially planned or not. Fear of sanctions should not be a factor here as Chinese systems will always be available in case that happens.

Diversity in avionics/EW/ECM/radars should always be welcome.
The main reason why I'd add the TopOwl-F or TopSight is because there is no analogous Chinese HMD/S available, yet. They have something in development, but it appears to be in the conceptual stage, and mainly aimed at the FC-31 (and their next-generation fighters generally). If one wants a solution today or soon, then there are few options outside of the Thales TopOwl-F/TopSight.

Has the next generation radar been finalized for the JF-17? Will it be the Vixen or the Chinese option shown in another thread?

I think it will be a great for PAF if JF-17 is improved by it's components and the Vixen should be used.And i hope Pakistan could afford to purchase it's components to improve the JF-17.
:china::pakistan:

Last edited:
In my Opinion JF-17 needs the Following ...
- A good AESA radar .
- Helmet Mount Display .
- A good Targeting Pod .

- Better Engine ?
- Can we use J-31 BVRs on the JF-17 ?

The only question is what will be the new price for the JF-17 after all the goodies are added mentioned in this thread .

What is the latest configuration of JF-17 block II?

Kids are kid JF-17 meant to be cheap fighter to perform air guard duty.
We can't afford 40 to 50 million USD jet as JF-17.

Hi,

40-50 million dollars is very inexpensive nowadays.

Fully upgraded BLK 52 would cost the manufacturer somewhere around 30-35 million dollars that they will sell to someone for 70-80-90 million dollars.

Last edited:
What is the latest configuration of JF-17 block II?

Kids are kid JF-17 meant to be cheap fighter to perform air guard duty.
We can't afford 40 to 50 million USD jet as JF-17.

JF17 meant to be be comparatively economical yet poised to be developed and competitive. Kids or not if Italian's came to ideas and PAF already using Indra ECM/ESM solutions from Spain this clearly depicts that planners have decided to make it backbone of PAF. Further we have done JV in case of radars with Italians in the past same can be done now.

Though Chinese AESA is economical but it is not at par with Vixen 1000 Radar. Further id agreements are made to benefit country then we should not have any issues with AESA imports initially. The Chinese radar may be offered to export clients.

Please don't forget that from 2018-19 PAF shall have to face challenge from Rafael and Super Sukhoi may be later on from 5th gen jet also.

I have a slight reservation here. These are all western systems and quite susceptible to embargos and sanctions. But the thing is, if we can acquire the knowledge of fundamental IC manufacturing and design, there is no reason why we can't make this on our own.

In terms of technology I'd like to see on the Thunder: sensor fusion. That pretty much sums it up.

Nice to have: stealth. This can mean use of appropriate materials in the structure, radar absorbing/deflecting coatings, and slight re-design of the airframe. It may never be fully stealthy but it can be stealth based.
As for GaN technology, Turkey is striding ahead. So, EW/AESA systems based on GaN technology are coming soon..

I have a slight reservation here. These are all western systems and quite susceptible to embargos and sanctions. But the thing is, if we can acquire the knowledge of fundamental IC manufacturing and design, there is no reason why we can't make this on our own.

In terms of technology I'd like to see on the Thunder: sensor fusion. That pretty much sums it up.

Nice to have: stealth. This can mean use of appropriate materials in the structure, radar absorbing/deflecting coatings, and slight re-design of the airframe. It may never be fully stealthy but it can be stealth based.

Thissssss!!!!!!!!!........the whole point of the JF-17 was so we NEVER again were at the mercy of sanctions and embargoes. If the above can make the JF-17 world class than we not to get the "know how" to make the above indigenously.

Waiting for HMD to be unveiled now! AESA radar & ASELPOD have been unveiled to the public but the mystery of the HMD is still unknown.

A
And
get the private sector involved. The "how" of this is a long debate but work should be done and private sector involvement must be increased.

Back
Top Bottom