What's new

Soap Operas and Schools Bring Turkish Culture to Pakistan

I consider Turkey as modern, secular, democratic country with liberal western culture which is antithesis to where Pakistan with its innumerable madrassas is heading. Maybe fascination and intrigue could be short lived.

Turks don't have "liberal Western Culture" :rolleyes:

They have their own Turkish culture that is moderate over-all...

You need to visit Turkey, specially Anatolian inlands of Turkey...

Anyways, Turkish Culture is best of Turks. We Pakistanis should have our own culture, traditions etc...Following Saudis, or Turks will only complicate the situation further...

For all you people crying about Saudi influence and other things, I just have to say that you people need to stop crying and acting like victims. Man up and take responsibility for your $hit.
It was not the Saudis that forced us to spend almost no money on education, it was not the Saudis that forced our generals to coup against the democratic government. It was not the Saudis that destroyed our economy which lead to more poverty which lead to extremism.

Stop acting like kids who just whine and cry all the time and admit that it was us Pakistanis who destroyed ourselves.
I am so sick of this childish attitude, you people need to grow up and grow a pair.

a common trait amount south asians blame everyone but ourselfs for our problems :lol:

Good! i am sick and tired of Indian culture penetrating pakistani minds, it's finally time we watch some stuff from our western borders, places like Iran, Afghanistan, Turkey, Middle east etc...

Turks don't have "liberal Western Culture" :rolleyes:

They have their own Turkish culture that is moderate over-all...

You need to visit Turkey, specially Anatolian inlands of Turkey...

Anyways, Turkish Culture is best of Turks. We Pakistanis should have our own culture, traditions etc...Following Saudis, or Turks will only complicate the situation further...

Turkey has successfully transformed from religion based to a modern state with secular outlook. There is separation of state and religion. Western influence can be seen in their soap operas which are now marketed through out the world. It's culture is blend of Turkish, western and Islamic which can be seen in their music, architecture and arts.

I'm against the indecencies the Turkish soaps may bring into Pakistan.

Another thing, is when do Pakistanis think that all Arabs of today's Middle East are all model Muslims?

I have seen many messed up Arabs.

RiazHaq, your article is bogus.

Saudi Arabia has done a lot for Pakistan in the past.

For those Turkey supporters, lol, hahaha, go to Turkey today, and see the shaytani things they do in Turkey when compared to Saudi Arabia.

Then you can see which country is more "Islamic."

I do agree that its ridiculous to import another nation's creativity. We Pakistanis are capable of our own creativity.

Please don't use the term "Wahabi", you know you are using it as a pejorative.

All hail to the Saudi masters.... !!!:suicide:

Turkey has successfully transformed from religion based to a modern state with secular outlook. There is separation of state and religion. Western influence can be seen in their soap operas which are now marketed through out the world. It's culture is blend of Turkish, western and Islamic which can be seen in their music, architecture and arts.

I know that.

But they aren't a "Liberal Western Culture" ....

They have their own unique Turkish culture that can be defined as moderate over-all....

Western Influence was always there..even during Ottomans..because Turkey's largest urban centers are themselves part of "West"..

Good! i am sick and tired of Indian culture penetrating pakistani minds, it's finally time we watch some stuff from our western borders, places like Iran, Afghanistan, Turkey, Middle east etc...

fortunately you guys don't have access to youtube, otherwise you will be blaming western culture for your demise.

For all you people crying about Saudi influence and other things, I just have to say that you people need to stop crying and acting like victims. Man up and take responsibility for your $hit.
It was not the Saudis that forced us to spend almost no money on education, it was not the Saudis that forced our generals to coup against the democratic government. It was not the Saudis that destroyed our economy which lead to more poverty which lead to extremism.

Stop acting like kids who just whine and cry all the time and admit that it was us Pakistanis who destroyed ourselves.
I am so sick of this childish attitude, you people need to grow up and grow a pair.

Great post sir
This inspires me

It's a shame that Pakistanis consider Indian shows & sops as an cultural invasion

^ why is it shame? Pakistani share borders with countries like Iran, Afghanistan and we are very close to the middle east, why can't watch stuff from there? why do indians need to dictate what we watch? we need to connect with our western border friends and share culture with them as well, we are not indians so we shouldn't just watch indian stuff all the time

There is no 'invasion' as such. If anything, it shows the acceptance of Pakistanis of foreign inputs: Indian, Arab, Western and now Turkish. Don't forget that for the large part of Pakistan's early history Indian movies were freely available and yet Pakistanis remained cautious of India.
People know where their interests lie--their own country's well being. Perhaps we can define some kind of Laszlo's Pyramid about people as part of nationhood.

Also, as someone said correctly above, stop blaming Arabs for wahabbi-ism etc. Pakistani rulers--especially General Zia--sought to introduce the 'true' Islam in Pakistan. The King of Saudi Arabia didn't twist Zia's arms to do that. Never forget that Zia was just an unbearded mullah with military training.

We need to put quotas on foreign TV imports like China.

Im not wahabi but TV should be family friendly till at least 10PM. Most of Pakistan Media is owned by people who dont live in pakistan and trying to fight a cultural war. Dramas that encourage extra marital affairs or women wearing little clothing goes against Pakistans culture. Whilst they shouldnt be illegal they should not be on Prime Time TV. The only reason Turkish programmes do well is because people think they think the characters are 'modern' and women wear appealing clothes because of less cultural restrictions in turkey.However I prefer Turkish Shows over Indian TV shows, at least with Turkish shows people are less likely to attempt to copy

To change a countries political environment, you first change the popular and entertainment culture

Pakistan's culture has always been conservative, but it was not intolerant as it is today. Sufism is now considered anti islam by many. Sufism was the true culture of Pakistan.

Shrines of famous sufis in every city of Pakistan are a testimony it.

Turks, Arabs or the Iranians all have influences in Pakistan, but Pakistan needs to revive its own culture which is essentially sufism.

This bringing in of a culture is non sense, Pakistan has its own culture which is not accepted by Saudi puppets and some US lackeys.

However, Pakistanis, where they might live, might never come out Saudi influences in particular.

Turkish culture was brought to Pakistan long time ago, before the arrival of these soaps operas the real actors did that from the huns to ghaznavis etc.

Pakistan's culture has always been conservative, but it was not intolerant as it is today. Sufism is now considered anti islam by many. Sufism was the true culture of Pakistan.

Shrines of famous sufis in every city of Pakistan are a testimony it.

Turks, Arabs or the Iranians all have influences in Pakistan, but Pakistan needs to revive its own culture which is essentially sufism.

This bringing in of a culture is non sense, Pakistan has its own culture which is not accepted by Saudi puppets and some US lackeys.

However, Pakistanis, where they might live, might never come out Saudi influences in particular.

Sufism is not culture of Pakistan but some pakistanis, such as sindhis and Punjabis, now yay can hardly call that Pakistan now can you.

Sufism is a weak mans remedy.

Turkish culture was brought to Pakistan long time ago, before the arrival of these soaps operas the real actors did that from the huns to ghaznavis etc.

Sufism is not culture of Pakistan but some pakistanis, such as sindhis and Punjabis, now yay can hardly call that Pakistan now can you.

Sufism is a weak mans remedy.

Punjab and Sindh constitute over 75 % of Pakistan. Pakistan was essentially a sufi country with many many shrines. This has been systematically changed.

A weak culture is what teaches to establish itself by violence. It is feared, but it utterly hated by the oppressed. Ghaznavis and other adventurers are treated with disgust in India while many still respect the Sufis.

Punjab and Sindh constitute over 75 % of Pakistan. Pakistan was essentially a sufi country with many many shrines. This has been systematically changed.

A weak culture is what teaches to establish itself by violence. It is feared, but it utterly hated by the oppressed. Ghaznavis and other adventurers are treated with disgust in India while many still respect the Sufis.

Are u sure that sindh and Punjab constitutes 75 percent of Pakistan? maybe so population wise but not in land size, balochistan is way bigger then Punjabi itself.

We don't care if Indians or even if some pakistanis treat sufis with respect and others with disgust, just because your preference is different doesn't mean that others forget their history, heritage and people.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom