What's new

Sniper for PA

Any .50 is going to be heavy. The M-82 weighs 31 LBS unloaded. The mechanical accuracy problems of the PK's G-3's probably has more to do with production methods, quality of ammunition, and materials than anything else. The USMC used modified m-14's for their sniper role for over 30 years. The G-3 is long enough, and the 7.62 has enough power to make it a good 300-800 yard rifle. The only people who are going to be making shots over 800 Yards are operators, and they equip themselves as they will (Within reason). As an example, standard operating procedures state that counter snipers should check between 150-700 M for US Army and USMC, while the secret service only checks out to 1000 M. The PA I think would do well to manufacture a specialized G-3 conversion, that is, if their suppliers have the equipment and can be trusted to do the extremely fine machining necessary. It would improve indigenous weapon-smithing capability, and make it unnecessary to retrain a bunch of snipers for a new weapon of foreign manufacture.

I think the problem is that most people have "shiny kit syndrome" and don't realise the practicalities of lugging a .50 cal weapon around.

Yeah, a .50 is useful for long distance Vehicular interdictions like countering smugglers, also for situations where engagement distances are going to be very high, like in the mountains or open desert. An example of what I was talking about in the previous post is attached.

HK G3SG/1

Attachments

• g3sg1.jpg
    g3sg1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 25
At 29 lbs, not a lot of snipers would be very happy carrying this thing around.

Correct Blain but, I mentioned in the class of M82 just for Info. Meant to say that its a good weapon for its accuracy.

Sniper firing from 1500 meter needs not to move quickly... No?.

I think the problem is that most people have "shiny kit syndrome" and don't realise the practicalities of lugging a .50 cal weapon around.

Beats me what you wanted to imply!

Its not that i am new to Rifles but correct that i have not fired one round with a Sniper Rifle. May be you are a sniper.

The M82 was originally used for anti IED operations and destroying unexploded bombs.

The British Long range rifle would be better as its lighter but still packs more punch than a 7.62mm rifle.

Why not get those Steyr sniper rifles? Pakistan is inducting the Steyr AUG, so why not the sniper rifle from them!?

pakistan army actually is using the styer SSG69 sniper rifle and its far far far better than all the sniper rifle pointed out in the start its MOA is better than them
daraganove is used by SSG and its the most common sniper rifle used by tribals in nwfp and in FATA
i have a daraganove and a jungle sniper daraganove is a very good sniper and its semi auto
and its very accurate but when it comes to accuract i have used the styer ssg notyhing beats that

employing a sniper aint as simple as getting a sniper rifle for your army
if you not trained on a sniper rifle you will not be able to hit any thing with it trust me
i have been using svd since i was in class 10 and till now i have got some good experience on it

ok first of all its not as simple as point hold your breath and shoot
its way complicated that that
firs of all you have to zero your rifle lets say at 100 meters
fire the first hot and see where it hits
now zeroing is done by the two knocks(wheels) on the scope one is for heigh and other is for sides
a four click wil give you about half an inch movement at the place where the bullet hits
(movement of the target hit spot depends on the range and the scope and the rifle too so every rifle has a different click rate)
for svd and jungle its about the same
once you have zeroed it on 100 meters congrats you can hit heads at hundreed meters range but you might miss a pic at 300 meters
now first of all you have to remember on which range you gun is zeroed
secondly even by just looking at a man or a pig you should be able to tell if he is standing at 300 meters 500 meters 680 meters or 210 meters
and you wil click your scope according to that beyond 300 meters one less or one more click means you might actually wil miss your target

its too complicated and my english is not so good
in simple words we have the best sniper rifles the styer ssg but wat we neeed is a dedicated sniper traning school

ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING

we should get the berret .50BMG
it can shoot up to 1.8 miles with out much problem
secondly it can pass thorough armoured vehicals and APCs
it can kill any one wearing any kind of armour
and it can shoot down low flying hellows
so why not switch to 12.7
7.62 is kinda small and not very lethal due to the introduction of body armour

Beats me what you wanted to imply!

Its not that i am new to Rifles but correct that i have not fired one round with a Sniper Rifle. May be you are a sniper.

Well its simple really. What I am saying is that factors like weight and practicality in the field play a part. You generally have to move around and a very long weapon is not very tactical or easy to move around. So if you have a 10 kg plus weapon with heavy recoil you need to also carry a close in weapon. This adds additional weight. And so many other factors play a part.

The problem is that most people watch too many movies..

Also the longest confirmed kill was done with a heavy rifle but with a 7-62 round. And I would forget some of the nonsense written by a certain people about zeroing a weapon....:crazy:

Correct Blain but, I mentioned in the class of M82 just for Info. Meant to say that its a good weapon for its accuracy.

Sniper firing from 1500 meter needs not to move quickly... No?.

He does not need to move quickly at 1500 meters or so, but to get in that position (as an example to set himself up at 1500 meters out) the sniper has a lot of carrying and walking to do. Insertion for such deep interdiction roles is done pretty far out...from that point on, its humping all the way to the target.

I know of operators in Pakistan who have humped 125 miles in a week to get around different areas of interest in full kit and its no joke. Add a 30 lbs sniper rifle to the kit and the operator would curse you all the way..:lol:

Well its simple really. What I am saying is that factors like weight and practicality in the field play a part. You generally have to move around and a very long weapon is not very tactical or easy to move around. So if you have a 10 kg plus weapon with heavy recoil you need to also carry a close in weapon. This adds additional weight. And so many other factors play a part.

The problem is that most people watch too many movies..

Also the longest confirmed kill was done with a heavy rifle but with a 7-62 round. And I would forget some of the nonsense written by a certain people about zeroing a weapon....:crazy:

hi man your alive i was worried that you were one of those 300 snipers / spartans of kidnapped by baitullah masud
good to see you

any way if pakistani army can carry a mg3 machine gun with tripe pod that 10.5 kg
i dont think they wil have a lot of problem carrying a .50BMG
beside a .50 caliber is superior to 7.62 in every possible way
the only way a 7.62 is effective in modren war fare of today is that you take a clean head shot
most armies now a days use bullet proof vest so 7.62 is useless
untill and unless you use these bullets (ARMOUR PERCING ROUNDS)
here to make it easie for you have have disected it so you know wat an ap round is like
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/salmanjin/guns me/bullets.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/salmanjin/guns me/DSC02438.jpg

any way back to topic
about 7.62 i seriouly doubt that pakistan army common troops are able to take head shots with a sniper rifle
simple because pakistan army has not sniper traning school wat so ever
as much as we imagen that there is the fact is that they is not

how ever with bmg you can easily take out any man at fairly great distnace by hitting his center and even if he is wearing a bullet proof vest he is gone

so why waste time and money on a 7.62

one more thing 7.62 can only kill a man a bmg can take out armoured personal carriers and vehicals and machine gun posts with ease
so why not have such a weapon
its a rifle with hte power comparable to an rpg and its accurate

Peshawar consider the theatre of operation.

How many militants are wearing body armour out there?

Well you have to bear in mind that peshawar can't tell the difference between SF weapons (And SF does not mean special forces here) and regular unit weapons.

He also does not realise that you are not supposed to use SLAP rounds in .50 rifle. They are designed for the .50 cal machine gun.

After all there is a difference between a trained professional and a rank amateur.

none
but we have a 1200000 strong very well equiped army on our eastern front thats moving at a very fast rate and its not going to be long that they get body armour

no disrespect bro but have you forgotten then the indians who broke our country in two when we kept dreaming that we by some devine intervention are superior to them

beside a .50bmg give you very good range and accuracy you can take out vehicals in one shot immobalise them
and it has a good effect in anti terror campain

if .50 was not effective against taliban and terrorisum why would NATO and USA be using it in afghanistan?
do taliban wear body armour
hope you get my point bro
i am a bit blunt but i dont mean any disrespect
as for our porfectional soilders well wat can i say there performance in waziristan speaks for them selves
BRAVO

None taken taken Peshawar.

True the strategic context of India must be taken into account but you've heard from the professionals about the need for moving quickly with a weapon thats light to carry.

I still prefer the British long range rifle for such a role.

For counter insurgency on the other hand I agree that a 50 cal might be a good option and I recall that an order for some 50 rifles was placed for SSG.

Back
Top Bottom