PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
En vogue: Smuggled NATO weapons fetch a pretty penny in black

By Riaz Ahmad / Creative: MOHSIN ALAM
Published: September 20, 2014

be6eb02a1d10d5ffca06d1678897124c.jpg

M-16 rifles and Beretta military pistols have become a status symbol for country’s upper class. DESIGN: MOHSIN ALAM

PESHAWAR:
Quality US and Nato military assault rifles and handguns are finding their way into the illegal arms markets of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (Fata), arms dealers told The Express Tribune. Dealers in Darra Adam Khel told The Express Tribune M-16 assault rifles and Berettas—standard issue weapons for the US army—are selling like hot cakes, despite their high prices.

“People consider Darra Adam Khel to be the largest black market for arms, but it’s actually the largest retail market in the black arms trade in Pakistan,” said arms dealer Siraj Afridi. “The largest wholesale market is Jamrud where traders smuggle in weapons from Afghanistan and then supply them to dealers in Darra Adam Khel.”

Darra Adam Khel lies between Peshawar and Kohat, in Frontier Region Kohat. Smaller arms markets exist in nearly every agency, including Mohmand Agency and Bajaur Agency, he added.

See my guns

M-16 assault rifles and Beretta 9mm military pistols—stolen from the US army and other Nato allies in Afghanistan—are in demand and have become quite the status symbol among the country’s upper class.

“I personally don’t like M-16 assault rifles,” said Siraj. “They are too complex and have too many small parts; the AK-47 is simple to use, easy to clean and withstands all conditions.”

Siraj added, “But these rich people insist on buying them [M-16] for their guards.” M-16 rifles are in demand because they are relatively light and their cartridges comparatively cheap, he said. “You can easily buy accessories for these fancy guns such as aiming lasers, optics and mini torches; these too are smuggled in from Afghanistan,” he explained.

“A Beretta 9mm is available for Rs1.5 lakh a piece; the M-16 rifles are sold for Rs5 lakh,” added the dealer. “People only buy an M-16 if it is guaranteed it is a military gun taken from the US Army with a ‘property of the US government’ stamp.” Beretta handguns are manufactured in Italy but used by the US army as sidearms.

Supply chain

According to Yousaf Afridi, another arms dealer, the inflow of arms is not of the same magnitude as the weapons smuggled into the country during the Afghan war in the 1980s. At the time, millions of AK-47 had reached these markets.

The M-16s and Berettas are only in the thousands, said Yousaf. AK-47s are still coming in to Pakistan, mainly stolen from the Afghan National Army, he estimated.

Heavy and medium-machine guns used by the US army are also sold in the market, said Yousaf. However, these are rather expensive and only available in short supply, he added.

M-16s are also locally manufactured, using US components.

The M-16s made in Darra Adam Khel are cheaper at a lakh a piece. These are fitted with some parts made in the US, said Yousaf.

“The parts, including barrels, bolts and upper bodies, have been stolen from Nato containers and are now being used to manufacture low-quality rifles by local gunsmiths,” added Yousaf.

After people started breaking into Nato containers in Landikotal, Nato adopted a strategy of sending their rifles in parts. The resulted illegal supply into the markets would sometimes just be of one component.

“Just the barrel for M-16 rifles is available for Rs25,000 and a bolt is usually sold for Rs2,000,” said Yousaf. “Although the [locally-assembled] rifles have no local demand, affluent families from Punjab and Sindh buy them frequently,” he added.

According to Yousaf, gunsmiths have also started converting Chinese semi-automatic rifles—imported legally—into automatic rifles. Although this costs a few thousand rupees, the guns are sold at illegal retail markets for Rs1.6 lakh.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 20th, 2014.

Im sure, these purchases are going to die out once the initial excitement of owning a "western/amrikaan" weapon is die soon.
Given the level oif mntc required vis a vis an akm derivative, traditional owners of soviet legacy weapons may not be impressed..

But intrestingly one said ammo is cheap....Does pakistan manufacture 5.56 /.223???

Im sure, these purchases are going to die out once the initial excitement of owning a "western/amrikaan" weapon is die soon. Given the level oif mntc required vis a vis an akm derivative, traditional owners of soviet legacy weapons may not be impressed..

No, they will increase, because ANA would be selling its M4s and M-16s to buy motorcycles and hash. That would be the right time to pick those beauties. ;)

But intrestingly one said ammo is cheap....Does pakistan manufacture 5.56 /.223???

Yes.

No, they will increase, because ANA would be selling its M4s and M-16s to buy motorcycles and hash. That would be the right time to pick those beauties.
Yes.
You wish :D

Comin to the ammo, I know special units use sigs, Fn2000s, steyrs...but that is kind of limnited. The 7.62 G3 is still ur mainstay. Am i missing anything here?

You wish :D

Comin to the ammo, I know special units use sigs, Fn2000s, steyrs...but that is kind of limnited. The 7.62 G3 is still ur mainstay. Am i missing anything here?

M-4s (SSG, Fed Police, SSGN, Some other police units, ISI's units) = 5.56mm
Steyr Aug (SSGN, SEALs, Musa Company of SSG, Airport Security force, Police) = 5.56mm
FN-2000 (SSW of PAF) = 5.56mm
M-16s, used by some LEAs and still used by some SSGs = 5.56mm
FN-Mini = 5.56mm

So 5.56mm round is very much in use with Pakistan. 7.62x51mm cartridge is of course the mainstay of the Army's G-3s, MG-3s and also AK rounds.

Only rounds we don't manufacture are for our FNP90's 5.7x28mm rounds.

@FNFAL

Rumors are that POF is seeking licensed production for ST-223 from Sarsilmaz.

This beauty.

31e20296cd7820dcc289a147ea80dc58.jpg

That why happened last time ..: I've personally see Russian AKs being sold for less than 15k.. Brand new Iranian G-3s at 25k...

Aug is perhaps the most commonly used weapon after AK or G-3.. Even cops,regular troops,Airport security forces etc use them in good numbers.. And yes we do produce 5.56mm ammo.. Both private companies aswell as POF ..

Apart from guns i have heard there are other goodies coming in as well. Like Binoculars, watches and night vision gear, daggers and army knives!
Any details? If some one can confirm availability and price that will be great!

You don't get an opportunity to own a milspec firearm every day :P

Bit selfish and short sighted? Don't go fishing for conspiracy theories next time nvg equipped Talib yahoos takes out 500 million dollars worth of military assets. :woot:

Bit selfish and short sighted? Don't go fishing for conspiracy theories next time nvg equipped Talib yahoos takes out 500 million dollars worth of military assets. :woot:

Those things are way too exotic to ignore - i picked out an original 92FS for dirt cheap, through a third party. ;)

Doesn't the US use M9, rather than 92FS?
Same gun. There's just the difference in where it's made.

Apart from guns i have heard there are other goodies coming in as well. Like Binoculars, watches and night vision gear, daggers and army knives!
Any details? If some one can confirm availability and price that will be great!

Bought a NVG for 30k.. A Spanish army dagger with compas,fishing kit n a small knife for 25,00... A Tazzer for similar price back in 2009..

Binos,watches,laptops,googles, even tht stay alert chewing gum .. Everything is available there..

M-4s (SSG, Fed Police, SSGN, Some other police units, ISI's units) = 5.56mm
Steyr Aug (SSGN, SEALs, Musa Company of SSG, Airport Security force, Police) = 5.56mm
FN-2000 (SSW of PAF) = 5.56mm
M-16s, used by some LEAs and still used by some SSGs = 5.56mm
FN-Mini = 5.56mm
So 5.56mm round is very much in use with Pakistan. 7.62x51mm cartridge is of course the mainstay of the Army's G-3s, MG-3s and also AK rounds.
Only rounds we don't manufacture are for our FNP90's 5.7x28mm rounds.
@FNFAL
Rumors are that POF is seeking licensed production for ST-223 from Sarsilmaz.
This beauty.
Thanks for the detailed post. Appreciate when one takes effort and thought.

So if POF is "supposedly" manufacturing them, is PAK army primarily, aiming to shift to 5.56?
If i can recall , in the early days of the US campaing in AFG, the 5.56 was touted as a weak round...and then came the advent of the SCAR-H and the ACR with the 6.8...Thought it seems the massive cost of re-converting put th eissue at back hand....

SO from this perspective, how has the Pak army's evaluation of 5.56 based weapons systems with the 7.62 in the Zarb operations?

That why happened last time ..: I've personally see Russian AKs being sold for less than 15k.. Brand new Iranian G-3s at 25k...
Aug is perhaps the most commonly used weapon after AK or G-3.. Even cops,regular troops,Airport security forces etc use them in good numbers.. And yes we do produce 5.56mm ammo.. Both private companies aswell as POF ..
Thanks, @Horus gave an indepth look...

When you say of iranian G3's , any difference from your domestic version?

ANd i assumed forces in civillian areas make use of the Mp5 more than any 556 based systems.

You don't get an opportunity to own a milspec firearm every day :P
unless you are in the land of free....:usflag:

Bought a NVG for 30k.. A Spanish army dagger with compas,fishing kit n a small knife for 25,00... A Tazzer for similar price back in 2009..

Binos,watches,laptops,googles, even tht stay alert chewing gum .. Everything is available there..
Post pics in gunlocker..

Back
Top Bottom