What's new

Six Signs That You May Have A Bad Boss

daring dude

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Does your department do better when the boss is on vacation? Do you love it when your manager is away at meeting or a conference?

In many work places, employees report that the environment is not only better BUT that they are also considerably more productive when the boss is not present.

Do you have a bad boss?

OUR TOP SIX BAD BOSS INDICATORS:
1. THERE’S A WHOLE LOT OF WAITING GOING ON
Having to check everything with the boss means you have to wait until the boss gives you his or her okay before you do anything.

When the boss is away, taking action is freeing but when the boss comes back its “back in the box” for everyone. Unfortunately once you have had a taste of freedom it is incredibly painful to have to go back to having your every move checked.

2. YEARLY PERFORMANCE EVALUATIONS ARE JUST THAT…YEARLY
A bad boss takes the yearly performance evaluation literally. You get feedback only once a year!

Instead the end of year review should be a culmination of several development meetings that have taken place throughout the year, each focussed on improving different aspects of your performance.

A very bad boss tells you to write your own evaluation for him to review.

3. THE BOSS HAS BEEN ON VACATION FOR A WEEK AND NO ONE NOTICES
You wonder why that report you turned in four days ago has had no response after the boss insisted the deadline was “Monday or else.” When you inquire at the staff meeting, you’re told he’s on his two-week vacation.

4. DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO
The bad boss emphasizes how important it is to be at work on time but he or she regularly strolls in 30 minutes late.

Hiding behind the possibility there was an early morning meeting, the bad boss does not bother to communicate to anyone when they can be expected at work.

5. BLAMES EVERYTHING ON UPPER MANAGEMENT
When the news isn’t good the bad boss dumps ownership and says things like “I’m just following orders” or “It’s out of my control, the higher-ups made the decision.”

Cowardly crouching behind others when a management decision is not going to be popular is weak and demeaning.

Employees understand that decisions have to be made that may be in the best interest of the whole company. Stepping up to professional communication and ownership are two things a bad boss does not do.

6. THERE’S NO HESITATION THROWING EMPLOYEES UNDER THE BUS
Love the result the department is getting? The bad boss takes full credit.

BUT..

When the department is not fully utilized and missing the mark? The bad boss can name that date and time that Ed was late, when Miranda was out with a sick child, and 50 other tiny infractions that he could not control that added up to problems with the employees and the results they did not get.

It’s never him or her, it’s always “them”; unless of course the higher ups come sniffing around for someone to lavish praise on.

So Can I Banish My Bad Boss Forever?
Banishing bad bosses would be a dream come true for many employees who want the freedom to think and act without the stranglehold of someone who is just marking time before they retire.

Hiding in plain sight, the bad boss takes full advantage of employees who love their work and the colleagues they work with. Bad bosses can live with simply being tolerated.

Call out a bad boss at your own risk, but know there are many employees out there who feel your pain.

Oh, and it would not hurt to keep your resume in tip-top shape along with accountability Clear Agreements you have performed on and accountability Looking Backs that demonstrate your learning when you’ve made a mistake.

Don’t miss an opportunity to escape an energy sucking excuse for a job with a bad boss. If you do then it’s because you were not ready to show up and apply for something you really deserved.

Remember… you have no one to blame but yourself.

Back
Top Bottom